Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Character Meal featuring Mickey

Favorite Character Meal featuring Mickey

For our August 2017 trip I'm only planning to do 2 character meals. Right now I have 1900 Park Fare breakfast booked and I want the other one to feature Mickey. What is your favorite character meal that has Mickey?

If I remember correctly these are the meals that have Mickey

Tusker House (never been but DS wants to eat at Rainforest Cafe, we will probably have 2 AK days so we could do both).

Chef Mickey (DS has never been, I went as a child).

O'hana Breakfast (went on 2014 trip)

Garden Grill (went on 2015 trip)

Hollywood and Vine dinner (went on 2015 trip and not really interested in going again).

Any I'm forgetting? Our last 2 trips we had the dining plan and did 3 character meals in 2014, and 4 in 2015, this time we are paying out of pocket so I want to limit the amount of buffets we do.

There's Mickey's Backyard BBQ...

Personally, I like Garden Grill because it's pretty chill, the food is pretty good, and it's served to you so you don't have to get up. With a 10:30am reservation you should be able to do Soarin -> Test Track -> Living with the Land and the reservation is late enough that you should see a lot of the characters towards the end of the meal as the place clears out before lunch. It's not as "high energy" as some of the others though, but it's my preference. I wouldn't necessarily rule out the seasonal dine at Hollywood & Vine. It's pretty cute.

Personally for Mickey, I enjoy Garden Grill & 'Ohana. Also I see where Hollywood and Vine dinner is out but did you see where Mickey is there at lunch too beginning soon - you would have to see when they replace the Disney Jr characters officially for lunch. Perhaps another alternative would be brunch at Chef Mickey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

he's right
    I like Garden Grill, because (a) I prefer family-style service to buffets and (b) I think lunch/dinner is a better value than breakfast.

I really enjoyed Ohana breakfast, and the Garden Grill breakfast is another good one. It is fun seeing them in non-traditional costumes :)

Another option is the Cape May breakfast. I haven't been there for breakfast.. but it is listed as Minnie's Beach Breakfast.. so I would imagine Mickey would be there too.. :)

selling josh for fastpasses Jenny's Avatar
    Tusker House has the ROL dining package. Don't know what you're plans are for ROL, but if you're planning on seeing Mickey anyway...

We really enjoyed Garden Grill on our last trip and would be willing to eat there again.

I'm hoping to get a ROL dining package at Tiffins, but Tusker House might be better with DS (8 at the time of the trip).

Chef Mickey's would be fun with the Monorail.

I feel like I'm at a stalemate with planning this trip. I wish they would hurry up and release FP+ info for the Pandora rides so I could finalize which days I want to go to the parks.

selling josh for fastpasses Jenny's Avatar
    We have done the last breakfast seating at tusker a couple times. You end up with both breakfast and lunch options, which works well for my crew, and 10:30-10:45 is late enough that the short RD lines are gone and you're ready for a break

Quote Originally Posted by yedliw View Post
    I really enjoyed Ohana breakfast, and the Garden Grill breakfast is another good one. It is fun seeing them in non-traditional costumes :)

Another option is the Cape May breakfast. I haven't been there for breakfast.. but it is listed as Minnie's Beach Breakfast.. so I would imagine Mickey would be there too.. :)
    No Mickey at Cape May. Just Minnie, Donald, and Goofy in swim wear.

We are limiting our December trip to 2 character meals, each kid gets to pick his favorite. FWIW the youngest picked Mickey's BBQ (which I don't think would appeal a ton to an 8 year old-really more for preschool to maybe 1st or 2nd grade). The oldest wants Tusker house. I'd say my favorite is Garden Grill, mostly because it's a more relaxed meal and the ride provides a much nicer background for pictures than other tables. Although I'm also tempted by Minnie's dine because of Santa Goofy.

I've done Tusker House and Garden Grill and enjoyed both immensely.

As Jenny mentioned about Tusker House has the ROL dining package, which is mainly why I will be returning there in August (if they ever release dates past June!). I went during my solo trip, and I really enjoyed the food there and the interactions were great.

Garden Grill was awesome for interactions. I went with my parents two Augusts ago, and we all had a blast. That same trip we had done H&V (not with characters though), and we found that we really preferred the family style to the full on buffet (mom and I especially tend to overeat when we have options, and being full to the brim and then going on rides is not an ideal situation).
    - Erin

WDW - '96, '97, '00, 12/03, 8/08 (ASMu / WL), 1/10 - Graduation Celebration (POFQ), 1/11 - Dad's 60th (Pop), 8/13 (POFQ), 11/13 (ASMu), 5/14 - Solo Trip (off-site), 9/14 - Got Engaged! (WBC / AKL), 8/15 (POFQ), 10/15 (offsite) - Solo Osborne Trip, 8/17 (POFQ)

Trip Report from 5/14
    Engagement Story and Pictures
    Trip Report from 8/17

Thanks for the feedback.

Mickey's backyard BBQ might be too hot in August since it is outside.

We did Minnie's Holiday dine when it was new in 2015 and the character interactions felt really rushed, which is why it's not at the top my list.

I'm leaning towards Tusker House or Chef Mickey since I haven't been to either with DS.

Between Tusker and Chef Mickey I'd go with Tusker.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Between Tusker and Chef Mickey I'd go with Tusker.
    I agree with Anne on Tusker.

Lisa

Garden Grill is our favorite. The food is family style, which we like better than buffet, it is quieter than most of the other character meals, and I like the turning restaurant and seeing the different backgrounds.

But if you are leaning towards tusker and chef mickey, tusker is the better pick IMO, better food and atmosphere.
    Cindy

We've done them all. Given both character experiences and food quality, our favorites are the Garden Grill, Tusker House and 'Ohana.
    DisneyDanceMom73

2001, Oct. 2003, 2004, 2007 & 2008 - FWC
    Feb. 2003, 2006, 2009 & 2011 - POP
    2012 & 2015 - POR
    2016 - Poly
    May 2017 - CSR
    Nov. 2017 - CBR

Please subscribe to my channel, Disney Beams:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_m5NUNMvFPvPic7bGmpHBg

If I only wanted to do one Mickey meal, I think it would be O'hana breakfast. I like that you do not have to get up for your food and it just seemed like there was more room between table. Bonus for me, Stitch is there.
    Living The Dream

Definitely for Mickey Id pick Garden Grill...this is our very fave...The food is awesome and comes to you...The characters are so funny and interactive...Mickey actually sat down with us and hung out for several minutes for a pic last time! Was funny because the handler removed my wine glass from the table before Mickey sat down...Saying Mickey doesn't do any pic w drinks! Chip and Dale are so funny with the teens and cute with my little boys!!
    And yes, agree w Josh...so chill of a character experience which is perfect...We will prob never go to Chef M again for the craziness we've had there several time...

This trip we are doing GG on Memorial Day at 2 pm w 9 ppl!...I am hoping even on that busy day it will be an odd enough time slot for a relaxed time...
    We are also doing an 11:30 Tusker House this trip too...

I love 1900 Park Palace but traveling w 6 boys this year and so I am giving up my princess meal...
    Erika Twitter@lulamaye
    Past trips:
    CHILDHOOD:
    1971 - OPENING YEAR (i was 5 months old w a sitter in a WDW resort HA!) once or twice as child to WDW and DL
    1981 - Opening YEAR of Epcot.
    PRESENT:
    DEC 2005 First Fam trip AKL 2008 POP 2009 POR 2010 AoA 2012 AoA
    2014 WH 2015 WH

We really enjoyed Tusker House. My daughters liked Chef Mickey a lot, but we had free dining when we went. I can't bear the thought of paying that much for mediocre food. The food at Tusker House is much better.

Of those, our family favorite and must-do is Tusker House.

We did Tusker House (lunch) and Garden Grill (dinner) a couple of months ago. While we enjoyed them both, the character interactions at Garden Grill were far and away better. Each character came to our table and spent a couple of minutes with my daughter. Then they stopped and said hi every time they walked by. We have 3 or 4 sets of pictures with Mickey. The character interactions at Tusker House were way quicker - they stopped by, took a quick picture, and moved on. I also preferred the fact that the food was brought to our table vs the buffet. (and I thought that our dinner at Garden Grill was really really good) We've started saving to go back in a couple of years and my daughter has already said that's the meal she wants to do again. :)

I'd do 'Ohana because of Stich. I've only been to Chef Mickey, and only once. That was enough.
    Brandi

Thanks for all of the responses.

I'm still undecided. Now I'm thinking that there are enough opportunities to meet Mickey in the parks that we could try some other new to us restaurants that aren't character meals.

Quote Originally Posted by ChantelCT View Post
    Thanks for all of the responses.

I'm still undecided. Now I'm thinking that there are enough opportunities to meet Mickey in the parks that we could try some other new to us restaurants that aren't character meals.
    We really like meeting talking Mickey in town square.
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by nolarookie View Post
    We really like meeting talking Mickey in town square.
    This definitely. By far my favorite meet. But if that doesn't work out for some reason, meeting Mickey & Minnie together in AK is pretty fun too.
    - Erin

WDW - '96, '97, '00, 12/03, 8/08 (ASMu / WL), 1/10 - Graduation Celebration (POFQ), 1/11 - Dad's 60th (Pop), 8/13 (POFQ), 11/13 (ASMu), 5/14 - Solo Trip (off-site), 9/14 - Got Engaged! (WBC / AKL), 8/15 (POFQ), 10/15 (offsite) - Solo Osborne Trip, 8/17 (POFQ)

Trip Report from 5/14
    Engagement Story and Pictures
    Trip Report from 8/17