Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Universal Video Report

A Universal Video Report

We just returned from our first family trip to Universal Orlando. I'll come post more in depth thoughts later but wanted to go ahead and share our trip video. We had a blast! Cast: Me, DH, DD8. Stayed at Cabana Bay. Arrived (late) Sunday, January 29. Departed Thursday afternoon, February 2.

TRIP VIDEO: https://youtu.be/UBQeWUY5xkg
    Last edited by cdmurphy727; 05-17-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Looks like fun! What's the software used to make it?

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Looks like fun! What's the software used to make it?
    Photos on a MacBook. It's not the best software for creating a video if you want more control of placement and effects and such. But it's quick and simple for those who aren't comfortable (or don't want to take the time) managing all the details. This is just a preset slideshow option.
    Last edited by cdmurphy727; 02-03-2017 at 09:38 PM.

The clothes are all washed and put away. Suitcases are back in the garage. And DD is in bed so we'll see how well my brain is working.

We flew Allegiant into Sanford airport and used Uber to get to Cabana Bay. Our flight wasn't until late in the evening so we didn't arrive at the hotel until 11:00 pm or so. Check in went well. I asked for a room close to bus transportation during check in and was assigned a room on the 5th floor in the Americana section. We were the first room off the elevator and Americana seemed to be the closest to the bus stop so it was a great location.

One thing I noticed was how quiet the hotel was. Of course there were the occasional door slams or kids running but in comparison to our stays at Animal Kingdom Lodge it was super quiet. We were never disturbed by other guests or heard them while we were trying to sleep so that was a huge plus. The beds were super comfortable and all around the room was great.

We went straight to bed on arrival night (or at least as soon as DD could settle). Had plans to sleep in the next morning but excitement got the better of us and we were up and ready to go before 8:30. We rented a wheelchair for DD from Walker Mobility. She doesn't "need" a wheelchair in everyday life but she doesn't have the stamina or strength for a day of walking at the parks and she has outgrown all stroller options. So this was our first experience with a wheelchair. Walker delivered it to our hotel lobby at 9:00 and met us to sign the waiver form. (BTW - if you're in need of a wheelchair or scooter rental, I definitely recommend Walker Mobility. Super friendly. Great experience.) Then we headed to Universal Studios.

Buses seemed to run almost constantly. I think the longest we ever waited going to or from the parks was about 3 minutes. If that. It did kinda stink that the buses drop you so far from the parks vs Disney dropping you right at the gate. But the more expensive hotel options do offer better transportation. And really, the walk from the bus wasn't all that bad. Having the wheelchair meant we went through the wheelchair line at bag check. Which was WAY shorter that the other bag check lines. Most days there was no line for us even if other security lines were quite long. I have no idea how efficient the other lines were as I didn't pay one bit of attention but our line seemed to move quickly and efficiently even if they were quite thorough.

After a stop at Guest Services for the assistance pass (Universal's version of DAS) we went straight to Diagon Alley and planned our first stop for Olivanders. We had already decided that we weren't going to shop for a wand unless DD got chosen at the wand ceremony. I mean...how can you not buy the wand after it chooses your kid??? And whatdoya know she was chosen. She really didn't know what to expect. I never thought she'd get picked so I didn't prepare her for it at all but she was totally thrilled that her wand chose her. It was so dark in the room that we couldn't get a decent picture but here's the best we've got.

fullsizeoutput_25.jpg

We didn't coach DD to do anything to get picked but she was wearing her platform 9 3/4 shirt and her gryffindor robe (DH and I were also wearing Harry Potter shirts). We were the very last in the line for our group so the last to enter the holding area and the last to enter the wand room. Not sure if placement had anything to do with it. And DD was very chatty with the wizard manning the line entrance. But she's pretty chatty with everyone so we didn't think anything of it at the time. Whatever the reason, we were excited that she was picked and we did buy the wand. DD has carried it around as much as possible since.

fullsizeoutput_14.jpg

Spent the rest of the morning exploring Diagon Alley then took the train over to Hogsmead. Lunch at Three Broomsticks was good. I think the meals at the Harry Potter locations are more about the theme than the quality of the food but it was above average for theme park food. Hot butterbeer is the bomb. That afternoon we explored Hogsmead, Hogwarts Castle and then moved on to the other lands...
    Last edited by cdmurphy727; 02-03-2017 at 10:58 PM.

Afternoon of Day 1...

DD liked the discovery center in Jurassic Park. She did not want to see the raptor at the raptor meet/greet location. I had hoped she would do it but she heard it "roaring" or "growling" or whatever and wanted no part of that. We skipped all the water rides in Toon Lagoon. None of us felt like getting soaked in January. Then on to Marvel. DD met Spiderman who is one of her favorites. She was thrilled. And she and DH rode Storm Force about 5 times in a row. I rode once but I'm too old to handle more than that on the spinning rides.

fullsizeoutput_45.jpg

Finished the afternoon with Seuss Land which quickly became DD's favorite. She loves Cat in the Hat and other Dr. Seuss characters so she liked getting to meet them. I think we did those Seuss rides about 17 times a piece over the course of the week. The team members knew DD by name before the week was over. it is a cute little area and a good safe space for my anxiety prone, noise fearing child.

fullsizeoutput_4c.jpg

Finished the day with dinner at Toothsome. We thought the food was good even if a bit overpriced (but it is a theme park after all). Dessert was fantastic. But the theming was really neat and service was great. Penelope and Jacques were a fun addition.

fullsizeoutput_60.jpg

So excited to read your report!
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by nolarookie View Post
    So excited to read your report!
    Thanks! Your trip is getting close. You guys will have a blast!!

Day 2 - Tuesday

Started Day 2 at Island of Adventure by going straight to Hogsmead. Rode Forbidden Journey again. Got some candy from Honeydukes. And some hot butterbeer from Three Broomsticks. DD wasn't in the mood for pictures but sort of complied when I asked for a picture with the train.

fullsizeoutput_7c.jpg

Then we walked back toward the front through Lost Continent. Checked out the fountain and got in line for Poseidon's Fury. The next show was due to start in 15 minutes so we hung out in the queue waiting for the show. Right at show time they came over the speakers and announced that the show had elements of total darkness, explosions and fire. At that point we realized DD wouldn't make it through all of that and decided to bail. We'll try to catch it next time. We went back to Seuss Land and again rode all the rides a couple times and met all the characters. We seriously spent a lot of time in Seuss Land.

fullsizeoutput_8a.jpg

We had to make another stop at Guest Services because the assistance pass wasn't working that morning (kept giving error messages when the ride operators scanned it). We had to wait a few minutes because of the people in front of us having complicated issues. Which was no problem, we had time. But to make up for the wait, they gave us 6 any time, any ride express passes. The were super friendly and went over and above to accommodate. We had lunch at Confisco's - it was very good. Then over to the Marvel area for a few more rounds on Storm Force and to meet Wolverine.

fullsizeoutput_97.jpg

Next it was back on the train to Diagon Alley. First stop was for an ice cream cone from Florean Fortescue's then another ride through Gringotts. Which, BTW, Gringotts was a great ride. We thought it was very well done. Spent the rest of the afternoon wandering through Diagon Alley. Then to Men In Black and the Simpson's area. Caught the parade before leaving the park.

fullsizeoutput_aa.jpg

Ended the day with dinner at Panda Express in City Walk. The service was poor but the food was good and it was quick. It was at this point that I was greatly regretting my decision to wear flip flops as I had formed several blisters on the bottoms of my feet. I wore the same flip flops last time we went to Disney but they were new at that time and probably more worn out that I realized on this trip. It was stupid to try to wear them and I paid dearly for it. My poor feet. Back to the hotel for bandaids and propping up my feet.
    Last edited by cdmurphy727; 02-04-2017 at 11:14 AM.

Day 3 - Wednesday

Day 3 started off with a stop on CityWalk to buy an overpriced pair of socks. Which I proudly wore with my sandals because that's how badly my feet hurt. Then to Universal Studios for Despicable Me (cute ride but jerky), Transformers and Mummy. DH and I both decided Mummy was our favorite ride, even if I did close my eyes a couple times because I'm chicken. :) DD met Megatron. She doesn't really know the Transformers and she refused to believe Megatron was the "bad guy". She said he was nice and wanted to hug him. Hahaha

fullsizeoutput_b9.jpg

More exploring in Diagon Alley. We liked the Knockturn Alley area. Lunch at Leaky Cauldron was good. Along with another hot butterbeer...yum. Then up to the Woody Woodpecker area. We watched the Animal Actors show (very cute) and the Barney show. TBH, DH and I both thought the poor Barney show was just sad. So few people in attendance. Those poor Team Members did their best to make it happy and fun...maybe we're just fuddy-duddies who don't like Barney. DD, however, loved it and got to meet Barney after the show.

fullsizeoutput_d2.jpg

DD also met Sponge Bob, Curious George and Woody Woodpecker. Then we took the train back to IOA. DD had decided she wanted to ride Pteranodon Flyers. But when we got over there the return time was a couple hours out and we decided to head back to the hotel to swim for the afternoon instead.

My memory is fuzzy but at some point we rode Kong which was a fun, well done ride. That may have actually been the day before.

We enjoyed the lazy river at Cabana Bay. Although I did nearly drown myself trying to get onto a float. At least the people sitting in the nearby chairs got a good laugh. DH said it was one of those "what I think I look like vs. what I actually look like" situations. Oh well. It was fun and a good way to relax a bit. Had dinner in the Bayliner Diner at the hotel. We all thought the food was excellent. I had a flatbread and salad from the salad bar (which was awesome). DD had a hot dog. DH had a burger and shake. All were very good.

At some point we also stoped to talk to the shrunken head at the Knight Bus. Again, not sure what day this was...they all kinda blur together. But it was neat and funny. We felt all the Team Members we interacted with were fun and friendly. Many went above and beyond to help or accommodate. Maybe even to a greater degree than Disney CMs. But that could also be because the character meet/greets at Universal are more laid back and less structured. We never felt rushed or like we were "holding up the line" as there was rarely much of a line. (could also be the time of year)

fullsizeoutput_c9.jpg

Day 4 - Thursday

Last day. We started at IOA and went straight to Pteranodon Flyers. DD and I rode that while DH rode Kong again. Then one last trip to Seuss Land to ride ALL the rides and meet ALL the characters AGAIN. And one last walk around Hogsmead - including one last Butterbeer (frozen this time cause it was kinda warm out). Rode the train back to Diagon Alley and then walked up to ride the Woody Woodpecker coaster a few times (also one of DD's favorites). We caught the character zone dance party thing with the Secret Life of Pets Characters - DD's current favorite movie.

fullsizeoutput_e2.jpg

Stopped at Mel's Diner for lunch since we were right there. This was the only meal all week that I wouldn't recommend. It was all standard frozen and reheated...kinda gross. By the time we finished eating the character zone dance party thing for Sponge Bob characters had started so DD got to meet Patrick and Squidward. Finished off the trip with one last Minion ride.

fullsizeoutput_e6.jpg

At this point we had done and seen all we wanted and even though we had some time to kill before our flight we decided to go ahead and head out. Went back to Cabana Bay to pick up our luggage and drop off the wheelchair for Walker Mobility to pick up later. Then requested an Uber to the airport. We were all tired and ready to be home. DD carried her Duke stuffed animal (dog from Secret Life of Pets) on the plane (her favorite souvenir from the trip).

fullsizeoutput_eb.jpg

Overall we had a great trip and look forward to returning in the future. I learned that I am old and cannot handle the rides like I could in my younger days. I also learned that Universal rides are on a whole other intensity level from Disney rides. There is so much more DD will tolerate at Disney than at Universal. I can see her enjoying it much more when she's a bit older. But she still had a lot of fun.

The planning (or not planning) aspect was much different than Disney and I'm still undecided on which I prefer. On one hand I love all the planning that goes into a Disney trip. For me, that's half the fun. But it was also nice to take a break from all the deadlines and the reservations and just show up. At Disney, we always know what's next so there's never that "what do you want to do?" "I don't know, what do you want to do?" because there's a plan to follow. But at Universal there's freedom to do what we want when we want because there's not a plan. I'm not sure which I like more, just that they are different. One thing I would do differently next time is plan the meals a bit more. Not necessarily reservations but at least knowing ahead of time where we will eat. Mostly because I hate having the discussion about where everyone wants to eat and no one cares and someone just make a decision already. Otherwise, I think I like the freedom to go where the mood takes us.

As Potter nerds, the Hogsmead/Diagon Alley areas were our favorites. Diagon Alley is fabulous - the attention to detail is great and being immersed in the wizarding world is awesome. But both parks were lots of fun. We really enjoyed everything we experienced. And life outside the parks was great too - from the hotel to transportation to restaurants in CityWalk - we will definitely plan another trip down the road.

fullsizeoutput_34.jpg
    Last edited by cdmurphy727; 02-04-2017 at 11:56 PM.

Great report! Thanks for sharing.
    Jenny
    March 2017 WDW Swan; October 2017 Grand Floridian; March 2018 AKL
    January 2015: Art of Animation ; May 2015 BWI; Nov 2015 Polynesian, W&D 1/2
    September 2014 BLT celebrating DS 3rd bday!
    January 2014: WDW 1/2 marathon/Beach Club
    October 2013: TOT 10 MILER/WL
    February 2013:POFQ (DS 1st trip!)
    May 2010: Dolphin
    Christmas 2009: offsite at Floridays

dawn
    Thanks for your trip report, the Harry Potter details are fabulous right?! Your daughter looks like she had a great time. I do not particularly care for many of the rides at Universal, but only because they are simulators..and simulators make me nauseous. I watched your video as well, at first I thought your daughter looked just like dad, but then I see she is your 'mini me'..she seems to have quite a personality..what a cutie pie! I miss those years, we too spent tons of time in Seuss landing when our kiddos were small...definitely a happy place!! (Hope your feet have recovered!)

Thanks for sharing, looks like y'all had a blast!
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by toodles View Post
    Great report! Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by dawn View Post
    Thanks for your trip report, the Harry Potter details are fabulous right?! Your daughter looks like she had a great time. I do not particularly care for many of the rides at Universal, but only because they are simulators..and simulators make me nauseous. I watched your video as well, at first I thought your daughter looked just like dad, but then I see she is your 'mini me'..she seems to have quite a personality..what a cutie pie! I miss those years, we too spent tons of time in Seuss landing when our kiddos were small...definitely a happy place!! (Hope your feet have recovered!)
    Thank you. It's funny that you say DD looks like me. Most people think just the opposite - that she looks like me until they see her with Dad then they think she looks like him. I'm not a fan of simulators either. I don't do well with anything 3D. Most of the rides I didn't wear the glasses and that made it easier to handle. But the Harry Potter areas were amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by nolarookie View Post
    Thanks for sharing, looks like y'all had a blast!
    We really did. It was a good trip.

Just catching up from the weekend...love the video! Really great highlights of your trip. Enjoyed following along. Your daughter met so many of the characters- how awesome! Want to bring our boys in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by momof2boys View Post
    Just catching up from the weekend...love the video! Really great highlights of your trip. Enjoyed following along. Your daughter met so many of the characters- how awesome! Want to bring our boys in a few years.
    Thank you! Characters are her favorite thing in life. Her dream is to take a trip to Disney Paris to meet the Cheshire Cat from Alice in wonderland.

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar
    I'm going to come back and finish reading this later. I'm glad you posted this because I'm in the process of planning a first time trip to Universal/Islands of Adventure/Wizarding World/SeaWorld/Aquatica in August for me, my daughter and granddaughter. I was looking a Cabana Bay because it seems very similar to Pop Century and we love Pop Century! But, so far, it looks like my best option is going to be at Royal Pacific.
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
    November 2010 @ Pop Century
    August 2016 @ Pop Century
    August 2017 @ DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando at Seaworld
    May 2019 @ All-Stars Movies
    August 2019 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by jillyb View Post
    I'm going to come back and finish reading this later. I'm glad you posted this because I'm in the process of planning a first time trip to Universal/Islands of Adventure/Wizarding World/SeaWorld/Aquatica in August for me, my daughter and granddaughter. I was looking a Cabana Bay because it seems very similar to Pop Century and we love Pop Century! But, so far, it looks like my best option is going to be at Royal Pacific.
    We loved Cabana Bay. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. BUT at RP you'd get Express Passes. Not sure how busy things are in August but if summer crowds are similar to disney then I'd definitely stay at RP. Also from there you'd have the water taxi that drops you off almost right at the gates to the parks - save you some walking through city walk. If crowds won't be bad when you go, Cabana Bay is a great choice.

Enjoying your trip report! We are planning our first trip to Universal/IoA/Volcano Bay in August - several nights offsite and then 2 nights onsite at RP. People have had such mixed impressions of their Universal trips, so I feel like reading as much as I can will help me have the right expectations going in and not be disappointed. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the "little kid" areas - with a 4yo, 9yo, and 11yo, we'll be spending a fair amount of time there - especially when we have to split up.

Quote Originally Posted by smwisc View Post
    Enjoying your trip report! We are planning our first trip to Universal/IoA/Volcano Bay in August - several nights offsite and then 2 nights onsite at RP. People have had such mixed impressions of their Universal trips, so I feel like reading as much as I can will help me have the right expectations going in and not be disappointed. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the "little kid" areas - with a 4yo, 9yo, and 11yo, we'll be spending a fair amount of time there - especially when we have to split up.
    The kid areas were fantastic. Obviously not thrill rides but still fun for the grown ups too.

I would just say - Universal is not Disney. Don't go into it trying to compare. They are different parks with different offerings, different environments. Go to Universal waiting to experience Universal without trying to make it something it isn't. If you can do that, you'll have a blast. Your kids will enjoy different areas but there's something for all ages. Hope you guys have a great trip.

Chrystal- your trip report has inspired me to possibly plan a trip in May (when I turn the big 4-0) of this year! We decided Disney wasn't in the cards for us with airfare being so expensive in April (the time we usually go since my husband is a teacher). Universal would be good for all of us. My husband and I are HP fans and the boys would love all of the characters. A 4 day trip- taking a Friday and Monday seems feasible. Now I have so many questions that I need to research like where to stay, Express pass, "child swap" at Universal, etc. :)

Quote Originally Posted by momof2boys View Post
    Chrystal- your trip report has inspired me to possibly plan a trip in May (when I turn the big 4-0) of this year! We decided Disney wasn't in the cards for us with airfare being so expensive in April (the time we usually go since my husband is a teacher). Universal would be good for all of us. My husband and I are HP fans and the boys would love all of the characters. A 4 day trip- taking a Friday and Monday seems feasible. Now I have so many questions that I need to research like where to stay, Express pass, "child swap" at Universal, etc. :)
    Orlando Informer has lots and lots of planning info. They have details on all the onsite resorts too. I don't know how busy things are in May but Express Pass is included with your resort stay at three of the onsite resorts. And express pass would make touring during busy times really nice. If you're going over a weekend I'd definitely consider that option. On the other hand, if you're like us and rather save as much as possible, Cabana Bay was great and would be lots of fun with kids.

Universal does child swap really well. We used it on many rides. Our experience was that you wait in line together then at the end the nonriders go to a room while the riders are put on the ride. As soon as the first group comes back you swap and the second group is put right on the ride. It seemed quick and efficient and all the team members were helpful. You could tell they were very accustomed to parents using the child swap option. All the child swap rooms had a tv with a movie or show (kid friendly) playing. DD didn't mind as she liked seeing the queues. We did not use child swap on kong because I had read that even the queue was scary but for everything else she got to be part of the experience a bit.

Glad I could inspire you to plan a trip! If you're Potter fans you will absolutely love it.

For choosing which weekend in May, you might want to look at this:
    http://orlandoinformer.com/universal...#crowdCalendar

To compare the hotels, you might want to start here:
    https://www.universalorlando.com/Hot...omparison.aspx

Also right now they have this room offer going on:
    https://www.universalorlando.com/Hot...-Vacation.aspx

And this ticket offer of two free days when you purchases two days of two-park ticket (FYI: tickets expire May 31/17):
    https://www.universalorlando.com/The...dmission.aspx#
    Dec 1981 Magic Kingdom/Off-site Dec 1998 Animal Kingdom, MK & Universal Studios Florida/Off-site
    Dec 2005 Disney Wonder & MK (MVMCP)/Port Orleans Riverside & Saratoga Springs Dec 2008 Disney Magic
    Nov 2011 Islands of Adventure & USF/Off-site/RC Liberty of the Seas Aug 2015 IoA & USF/Cabana Bay
    Nov 2016 Epcot, MK, HS & AK/All-Star Movies Oct 2017 AK, Ep & MK (MNSSHP)/ASMo/IoA & USF/Sapphire Falls
    Oct 2018 Disney Fantasy (HotHS) Coming soon: June 2020 IoA & USF/Disney Dream

Oh, that reminded me, if you want to ride the hogwarts express you do have to have park-to-park tickets (Universalís park hopper). They will scan tickets before letting you on the ride.

Thank you both for this info.! I did a search of the forum and started copying the websites to a draft email to check out. The May weekend looks to be moderate, but am assuming won't be too bad if we get the Express passes. Let's see if this really comes about :)