Thread: Art of Animation - Oct 2016 (Faith Restored)

Art of Animation - Oct 2016 (Faith Restored)

We had a short stay at Art of Animation on Thursday and Friday night this past week and I thought I should post a new review after my last one:

http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...n-Disappointed

I was not disappointed this time. We stayed in a Cars suite (Building 2) and it just seems to be in better shape than the Nemo buildings. The carpet isn't dingy and torn like the Nemo building. The paintings in the hallway are still in good shape. The room decor is better appointed. All around, we like the Cars suites much better than the Nemo suites.

Service was better this time around as well. We needed a couple of extra blankets and they brought them within about 30 minutes. Last time, our request never came.

So, my faith in the place was restored. I will most certainly pick a Cars suite from now on, if the opportunity presents itself.

Did you step inside the Nemo building this trip? Perhaps they have made some improvements resort-wide.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Did you step inside the Nemo building this trip? Perhaps they have made some improvements resort-wide.
    I did not. I wish I would have, but time was short. We didn't even make it to the Nemo pool!

I'm glad you had a better experience this time. We really like staying at AoA. We've stayed there 3 times so far. We were in a LK suite in 2013 & 2015. We were in a first floor Nemo suite in building 5 this summer. I have to agree -- those buildings need some serious work in the common areas. The carpeting on the first floor (didn't visit the other floors) was HORRIBLE. And I'm not typically looking for things to complain about. But that carpeting was beyond bad. There were stains *everywhere*. Some of the spots were as large as a dinner plate. This carpeting is beyond the point of steam cleaning, it needs to be replaced. There were several areas of molding missing along the floors/doors and numerous areas of peeling and scrapes on the walls. Our suite was fine -- no complaints there; but the hallway was bad enough for me to send an e-mail to guest relations when we got home. I got a phone call from GR the next day and the "supervisor" (have no idea if he really was) who called me listened to every detail of my concerns/complaints (I said it made a HUGE bad impression the minute you walked in the door). He said he was elevating the complaint/issue to "the next level" so that the onsite property supervisors would have to physically go look at the building. I have no idea if that ever happened, but at least I tried to bring it to someone's attention.

The Lion King buildings didn't look like that (I walked through the first floor of each one just to compare). While there was some wear and tear showing in those hallways, it was *nothing* compared to what we had to look at every day in the Nemo building. Honestly, if we had been somewhere other than Disney, I would have turned around and gone to the front desk before I even got to my room and asked to be moved to another building. But we really wanted to try a Nemo suite and we had an awesome room location so I was willing to deal with it. If our suite had looked like the hallway, we wouldn't have stayed there. If we stay at AoA again, I'm going to have a hard time booking a Nemo suite unless I know that carpeting has been replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alagrange View Post
    I did not. I wish I would have, but time was short. We didn't even make it to the Nemo pool!
    Sounds like you'll need to make a quick visit there to check on things, Josh. :) We were there at the end of June -- I haven't heard any rumblings anywhere that there has been any work done in the buildings since then (though I could have easily missed it).

Wow, I guess this means this resort is extremely popular since it has so much wear and tear within four years of being open. I would love to see Josh do another visit and report. We will be at Pop in March and plan on visiting AOA one evening for dinner at Landscapes of Flavor and to explore the fun theming.

We enjoyed our stay there last December, but it was just in a Little Mermaid room. That was perfect for our 4 year old daughter. I'm a little surprised they didn't make any single rooms with more of a boy theme. Loved the overall theming of the resort.

Quick update - we stayed in a Nemo suite the first week of March. I'm sad to report that nothing has been done to improve what others have commented on above. We requested a ground floor room, and when we entered the first thing that jumped out was how awful the carpeting looks. I agree that it just needs to be replaced. We went into our room, and before we even set our bags down, my wife and I were looking at each other and grimacing because of the smell. There was an overpowering odor that I can only describe as a combination of feet and curry. It was beyond just a room that was a little stale because the A/C wasn't running - it was a powerful stench.

I immediately called the front desk, and they connected me with someone in reservations (I guess the front desk can't handle rebooking a room in their own resort??). The CM was incredibly apologetic and nice, and within 4 minutes had located another suite in the exact same wing (on the 3rd floor), moved us there, and switched our MagicBand access from the first room to the new one. That process was seamless. We got up to the 3rd floor and found carpet that was marginally better, but the door to our room had large streaks of paint stripped off, as if someone had thrown paint thinner on it. I've been to WDW nearly 20 times and always stay on property, and I can't recall ever seeing resort hallways or a door that looked like this. The rest of the resort was nice - pool area looks great, food court/lobby/gift shop all looked great. We stayed in a Cars suite in 2012 (right after it opened, to be fair), and loved it. I guess the Nemo building just takes a ton of foot traffic/abuse? I know it opened first, but still, the condition was much worse than anything I've seen at a Disney resort.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroCOTfan View Post
    Quick update - we stayed in a Nemo suite the first week of March. I'm sad to report that nothing has been done to improve what others have commented on above. We requested a ground floor room, and when we entered the first thing that jumped out was how awful the carpeting looks. I agree that it just needs to be replaced. We went into our room, and before we even set our bags down, my wife and I were looking at each other and grimacing because of the smell. There was an overpowering odor that I can only describe as a combination of feet and curry. It was beyond just a room that was a little stale because the A/C wasn't running - it was a powerful stench.

I immediately called the front desk, and they connected me with someone in reservations (I guess the front desk can't handle rebooking a room in their own resort??). The CM was incredibly apologetic and nice, and within 4 minutes had located another suite in the exact same wing (on the 3rd floor), moved us there, and switched our MagicBand access from the first room to the new one. That process was seamless. We got up to the 3rd floor and found carpet that was marginally better, but the door to our room had large streaks of paint stripped off, as if someone had thrown paint thinner on it. I've been to WDW nearly 20 times and always stay on property, and I can't recall ever seeing resort hallways or a door that looked like this. The rest of the resort was nice - pool area looks great, food court/lobby/gift shop all looked great. We stayed in a Cars suite in 2012 (right after it opened, to be fair), and loved it. I guess the Nemo building just takes a ton of foot traffic/abuse? I know it opened first, but still, the condition was much worse than anything I've seen at a Disney resort.
    That's disappointing that they *still* haven't done anything about the common areas in the Nemo buildings. I'm sorry you originally had a not-so-nice suite but it does sound like that was handled quickly and to your satisfaction. (I'll mention that even when you call the "front desk" from the room, you're not talking to someone at the resort -- you're talking to someone in a call center possibly not even in Orlando. They probably *didn't* have the ability to change your room on the spot and needed to transfer you to someone with the information/authority to do that.). I think the Nemo buildings take a beating every day because they are always booked to capacity so there are hundreds of people walking through those hallways each and every day. Those buildings may have opened first, but it's not like they opened years ahead of the other buildings -- only months. But they *look* like they opened years before....

In some possibly encouraging news, I've seen people on other message boards who have upcoming reservations at AoA (from May - July so far) say they've gotten an e-mail from Disney indicating that there will be some resort-wide refurbishments taking place during their stays (there's also a message about it on the Disney World website). Unofficially it sounds like it will be "updates/refreshers" to rooms, buildings, and some landscaping areas. All recreational and food service areas will be unaffected. *MAYBE* they'll finally be replacing that nasty carpeting.

Linkura
    That is so strange. I wonder why that area is so terrible compared to the others. You wouldn't think that even if they're always booked that they'd look THAT much worse.

I am staying in a Nemo suite in June and received the email about work being done, hopefully this is what they are addressing.

We were in the Cars 2 building 8/15 - 8/26 and it was fine. Not pristine--and certainly could use a refurb in the next year or so--but it was fine. Most of the issues I noticed because I was looking for them (due to this thread). The common areas of the resort (pools, food court, etc.) were clean and in good shape. The construction was a bit of an eyesore approaching the resort, but it was mostly invisible from inside the resort. They were driving piles while we were there, and it was incredibly loud and annoying, echoing throughout the resort. We didn't spend a lot of time at the resort, but if we had it would have driven me a little mad (although I think they limited the amount of time spent driving piles and did it off and on throughout the day so it wasn't like it was being done 8 hours straight).