Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Incredible Chase Sapphire Reserve Introductory Promotion

Got a notice from UPS my card is scheduled to arrive tomorrow after applying Thursday. Chase is apparently pretty anxious to get these into consumers' wallets.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

I've never used chase rewards before so wondering how the point redemption works. The link says "50% more" in redemption, 100,000 points is equivalent to $1500 in travel. What exactly does that mean? Because then later it says 1:1 exchange for miles. So 50% more applies to other travel such as hotels etc? I'm thinking I might as well dump my southwest card too for this one. As it mentions 1:1 exchange for southwest miles and the southwest card only gets 1% for everything, there are no 3% categories. So am I correct in my understanding this one does everything the southwest one does and more? And for the first 2 years at least when you factor in the $300 travel credit the annual fee is only $50 more than the southwest annual fee of $100.

The 1:1 ratio and 50% more confusion is based on two ways of using your points. You can transfer the points to the listed airline program at a 1:1 ratio. Then those points are worth whatever that airline offers.

Separately, you can book travel through the Chase Rewards portal and pay for all or part of your booking with points at a conversion rate of 1.5 cents per 100 points, AKA $1.50 per 1,000 points. Many (most?) airlines let you do this but at $1.00 per 1,000 points. Also, the Chase conversion shows up in the Airline system as a pure cash purchase so you can earn points when you do this. Most airlines don't let you earn points when you do this, even if you mix points and cash. EG, you buy a $350 ticket at Delta.com, using 10,000 points and $250 real dollars. You would earn 0 points for that. Book through the Chase portal, use 10,000 points worth $150, pay only $200 actual cash, and earn more points on the whole thing.

I'm not familiar enough with SouthWest to answer your other questions. Also, everything I did write is based on what I've read either at the Chase site or various places on the internet, and I've lost track of what info came from where, and if anything is wrong, oops and sorry? But I'm pretty sure it's right.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

I have just signed up this new one, but I do have a Chase Preferred that is similar. The 50% more is when you are booking reward travel through them. I did this with flights to San Juan last January and it worked out great for us. You can book through many airlines and also book rental cars & hotels through them. I comparison shopped and the airline prices looked like what I could get straight through Delta. I feel like I'm not explaining it well, sorry - if you had 100,000 points and wanted to cash out, they would give you $1000. If you use it to book travel through them, you get $1500 credit toward booked travel.

Also, I recently needed points transferred to my southwest travel point program (not a southwest credit card) and it worked easily for that, the points helped me get enough to fly on points to Orlando in December.

So, you may or may not want to cancel the southwest card, I've never had one of those so I don't know all the perks and details. It did seem like it didn't show me southwest as an option when I tried to book travel straight through Chase.

Hopefully, a more credit card/ financial guru will respond and help make sense of what I just tried to say! :)
    Staci
    May 2015 TR
    - CBR with my teen niece - big kid focused trip.
    Universal October 2015 TR - Royal Pacific with my 16yo son.
    April 2016 TR Staying Offsite & using rider swaps: a young children focused trip.

Ah, good! Mark & I were typing at the same time and he is better at explaining it!
    Staci
    May 2015 TR
    - CBR with my teen niece - big kid focused trip.
    Universal October 2015 TR - Royal Pacific with my 16yo son.
    April 2016 TR Staying Offsite & using rider swaps: a young children focused trip.

So in some cases you do better purchasing air through the chase portal rather than converting to miles if it happens to be an option for your flight?

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    So in some cases you do better purchasing air through the chase portal rather than converting to miles if it happens to be an option for your flight?
    It can be, but if you book a pure rewards flight at an airline that often requires fewer points than using points as a cash credit. The catch is that pure rewards seats are subject to limited availability and also less subject to changes, etc.Using the same $350 example as above, you would need 35,000 points at Delta.com to avoid paying any cash on a $350"cash" booking. But if you book a "reward" non-cash ticket it might only need 30,000 points or less but good luck getting it.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mgarbowski View Post
    if anything is wrong, oops and sorry?
    This is the standard and implicit #DisneyBlogger disclaimer. ;)
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    This is the standard and implicit #DisneyBlogger disclaimer. ;)

Usually don't feel the need but having no experience with the card yet I felt that much more uncertain about its workings. I do like the formulation of the disclaimer, tho. Maybe I should TM it and sit back while the big royalty checks come in.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,

Usually don't feel the need but having no experience with the card yet I felt that much more uncertain about its workings. I do like the formulation of the disclaimer, tho. Maybe I should TM it and sit back while the big royalty checks come in.
    #ThanksMark

If you just google chase rewards partners a bunch of articles pops up. This was one of them.
    https://upgradedpoints.com/chase-ult...ewards-review/
    Scroll to the bottom and it lists the airline and hotel partners. So basically you can book through the reward portal (which is what I did with my Sapphire Preferred points for a recent trip to Maryland) or you can transfer points straight across. In the future, now that I am starting to figure it out I have joined the Hyatt reward program and will transfer UR points to Hyatt and then use those to book...you kind of double dip on benefits that way and it is actually less points. Just to give you an idea though I had about 60,000 points in August. I had used maybe 16,000 to stay a night at the MCO Hyatt. The 60,000 UR points gave us 5 nights (two in a Staybridge Suites in VA, two in Hyatt in MD, and one airport hotel by BWI). I could have stayed cheaper places...then we could have had 10 nights.

Anne, Southwest is a 1:1 travel partner. So yes if you have the Reserve you don't really need the Southwest.

We are a hub city of Delta so that is the best airline to fly out of; UR doesn't transfer to Delta though. I thought about buying the tickets through the UR hub but then they are just the basic (non assigned seats) and since it wasn't what I wanted it didn't seem like a good value. Plus I also have a Delta Platinum Amex so paying cash or using miles usually makes the most sense for flights for us.
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I applied on Tuesday, got approved, and received my card today. Just in time for back-to-back Disney trips. I'll buy my DVC AP vouchers for activation next October. All Disney purchases (including DVC dues!) are coded as travel.
    George how certain are you of this and what's the source? I just looked into whether park tickets would code as travel and found an article by The Points Guy in 2015 tat said he did not get 2x points on the Sapphire Preferred when he bought WDW park tickets:
    http://thepointsguy.com/2015/02/maxi...isney-resorts/
    "Case in point, TPG himself recently took a family vacation to Walt Disney World and was stunned to learn that the Barclaycard Arrival Plus did not consider the park to be a “tourist attraction,” so it wasn’t eligible for a mileage redemption. Furthermore, the tickets he purchased did not count as “travel purchases” to receive 2x on his Chase Sapphire Preferred."
    The Chase FAQ sates:
    "Merchants in the travel category include airlines, hotels, motels, timeshares, campgrounds, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, and operators of passenger trains, buses, taxis, limousines, ferries, toll bridges and highways, and parking lots and garages. Please note that some merchants that provide transportation and travel-related services are not included in this category; for example, real estate agents, websites or owners that rent vacation properties, in-flight goods and services, on-board cruise line goods and services, sightseeing activities, tourist attractions, merchants within airports, and merchants that rent vehicles for the purpose of hauling. In addition, the purchasing of points or miles does not qualify in this category."

I'm thinking WDW parks would be a tourist attraction and not travel. Maybe if you buy your tickets as part of a package it probably is, but I'm definitely thinking your point that all things Disney or WDW count as travel is probably too broad unless you have some source I'm missing. This is of particular interest to me since I'm planning to buy APs soon.and take advantage of the 13-month deal.

Mark
    2004 May Offsite,

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    George how certain are you of this and what's the source? I just looked into whether park tickets would code as travel and found an article by The Points Guy in 2015 tat said he did not get 2x points on the Sapphire Preferred when he bought WDW park tickets:
    http://thepointsguy.com/2015/02/maxi...isney-resorts/
    "Case in point, TPG himself recently took a family vacation to Walt Disney World and was stunned to learn that the Barclaycard Arrival Plus did not consider the park to be a “tourist attraction,” so it wasn’t eligible for a mileage redemption. Furthermore, the tickets he purchased did not count as “travel purchases” to receive 2x on his Chase Sapphire Preferred."
    The Chase FAQ sates:
    "Merchants in the travel category include airlines, hotels, motels, timeshares, campgrounds, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, and operators of passenger trains, buses, taxis, limousines, ferries, toll bridges and highways, and parking lots and garages. Please note that some merchants that provide transportation and travel-related services are not included in this category; for example, real estate agents, websites or owners that rent vacation properties, in-flight goods and services, on-board cruise line goods and services, sightseeing activities, tourist attractions, merchants within airports, and merchants that rent vehicles for the purpose of hauling. In addition, the purchasing of points or miles does not qualify in this category."

I'm thinking WDW parks would be a tourist attraction and not travel. Maybe if you buy your tickets as part of a package it probably is, but I'm definitely thinking your point that all things Disney or WDW count as travel is probably too broad unless you have some source I'm missing. This is of particular interest to me since I'm planning to buy APs soon.and take advantage of the 13-month deal.

Funny, because anything I've ever charged at WDW has been coded as travel (even DVC dues!), so I assumed park tickets were as well. But sure enough, I just checked my Reserve statement for the MNSSHP tickets I recently charged, and they are coded as "all other purchases," with a 1:1 points-to-dollar reward. So you're right, park tickets are not coded as travel. I apologize for the misinformation.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Funny, because anything I've ever charged at WDW has been coded as travel (even DVC dues!), so I assumed park tickets were as well. But sure enough, I just checked my Reserve statement for the MNSSHP tickets I recently charged, and they are coded as "all other purchases," with a 1:1 points-to-dollar reward. So you're right, park tickets are not coded as travel. I apologize for the misinformation.
    No worries. This is why I try to double check things. I'll probably put the AP purchase on another card.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,

No worries. This is why I try to double check things. I'll probably put the AP purchase on another card.
    I'll still use a Chase Ultimate Rewards card for that purchase, as CUR points are so valuable, even at 1:1.

Stupid Judy.

I apologize for the misinformation.
    Please try to stick to the official disclaimer: if anything is wrong, oops and sorry?

Please try to stick to the official disclaimer: if anything is wrong, oops and sorry?
    Yes, sir!

Stupid Judy.

I don't have a lot of credit card experience so this may be a very ignorant question... does the annual fee apply have to be paid with the initial application/receipt of card or only after the first year of use?

Yes. And the "?" is key.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,

haha

Quote Originally Posted by jdn0018 View Post
    I don't have a lot of credit card experience so this may be a very ignorant question... does the annual fee apply have to be paid with the initial application/receipt of card or only after the first year of use?
    It is not due with the application or receipt of the card, but I believe it will be billed in the first monthly statement, which I have not gotten to yet.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,

Anyone know if Undercovertourist is coded as travel for Chase? I think it was in 2015 when I bought Disney tickets. If I bought Universal Tickets using the new chase card would that be refundable As the $300 travel credit? I already have Disney tickets for our next trip (2018 or so), but I think it would be worth it to buy the Universal tickets using this system. A 2 day ticket, plus 1 free day is about $250 on their site. I need 4. If I buy 2 this year, get the $300 credit, then, buy 2 in January and get the next year $300 credit, that would mean a little more than half my tickets would be refunded. Plus, if
    I timed it right it would be in my 90 days of spending for the bonus 100,000 points. But, with no real travel planned for the next year, I would hate to get the card and not use the (2) $300 credits for something. Anyone have any thoughts on this or plans to use undercovertourist to buy tickets? Feel free to tell me if there is a better source for tickets and if any of them are coded as travel for Chase (I already know Josh does not like undercovertourist).

Quote Originally Posted by kmc8826 View Post
    We are a hub city of Delta so that is the best airline to fly out of; UR doesn't transfer to Delta though. I thought about buying the tickets through the UR hub but then they are just the basic (non assigned seats) and since it wasn't what I wanted it didn't seem like a good value. Plus I also have a Delta Platinum Amex so paying cash or using miles usually makes the most sense for flights for us.
    I'm new to this, but reading a lot, so to quote Mark, "if anything is wrong, oops and sorry?" But Delta is in an airline alliance with British Airways and UR points can be transferred to British Airways, so you can book award travel on Delta with British Airways points. It gets really complicated, but I think that is part of what makes UR points valuable, with their transfer partners and the airline alliances you can pretty much get a reward flight on any airlines.
    www.earsandcheerstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/EarsandCheersTravel

Me (Jenny), DH, DD(12), DS(10), DD(9)

Jan 2014: POR; Nov/Dec 2015: Poly; April 2016: BWV; Sept 2016: DL; March 2017: CBR/CR; Feb 2018: BC; April 2019 GF; Nov/Dec 2019: BCV; Feb2020: BWI

See, I knew I'd get it wrong. Delta is in an alliance with Korea Air (transfer partner with UR). British Airways is in an alliance with American. oops and sorry?

PS. Mark, let me know where to send royalty checks
    www.earsandcheerstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/EarsandCheersTravel

Me (Jenny), DH, DD(12), DS(10), DD(9)

Jan 2014: POR; Nov/Dec 2015: Poly; April 2016: BWV; Sept 2016: DL; March 2017: CBR/CR; Feb 2018: BC; April 2019 GF; Nov/Dec 2019: BCV; Feb2020: BWI

Quote Originally Posted by kmc8826 View Post
    I looked into this because I just like flying Delta and you're right, the Chase UR portal can't handle Delta's dual-tier coach system and only the most basic option seems to be available, not the standard coach option which they now call Main Cabin. It's doubly annoying because in addition to the Main Cabin not being an option, the portal does not make it at all clear that you are getting the super low value class.

FWIW I did some research and found one discussion in a Disqus comment section where people reported that if you call the UR telephone line you can get a Main Cabin booking, but if you accidentally book the lower class they cannot change it for you (but they might be able to cancel if caught very quickly).

As Sprout noted the best Delta value for UR points might be to book via one of the partners that Delta and Chase have in common, just pick the right partner. Speaking of which....

Quote Originally Posted by sprout View Post
    See, I knew I'd get it wrong. Delta is in an alliance with Korea Air (transfer partner with UR). British Airways is in an alliance with American. oops and sorry?

PS. Mark, let me know where to send royalty checks
    This forum has a general royalty-free license.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,