Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Incredible Chase Sapphire Reserve Introductory Promotion

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    I think the Amex rules differ by lounge brand/variety. SkyClubs are just me, but most of the Priority Pass locations include some additional guests.
    You keep correcting me on this topic with the annoying habit of being right. I shouldn't go by memory on something I'm not actively familiar with. So I looked it up and the Amex Platinum Card rules for lounges are:

• Centurion lounges: cardholder plus 2 guests free; no mention of additional guests
    • Delta Sky Club: cardholder plus either (1) immediate family or (2) 2 traveling companions at discounted rate.
    • Airspace lounge and Escape Lounge: cardholder plus 2 guests free, additional guests at standard rates
    • Priority Pass Select: cardholder plus 2 guests free; additional guests at discounted rate

The official page I just took this from does not state the "discounted rate" for Sky Club or Priority, but elsewhere I believe I have seen $27 or $29.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

Quote Originally Posted by kmc8826 View Post
    https://www.prioritypass.com/en/Loun...1-The-Club-MCO

Under 12 are free so that helps even with the terms change. I donít think it was worthless...on our January trip we were there waiting for it to open at 6 for our early morning flight and were able to have coffee, cereal, pastries and a calm environment. This last trip it ended up an early light dinner for all of us. If you still have the Reserve or another card to get the Priority Pass it is definitely worth looking into.
    Thanks, definitely doesn't sound worthless! We usually take DME and have precheck so we are usually sitting at the gate for 2 hrs. It would be much nicer hanging out in the lounge.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Thanks, definitely doesn't sound worthless! We usually take DME and have precheck so we are usually sitting at the gate for 2 hrs. It would be much nicer hanging out in the lounge.
    I guess Bricker and I have different definitions of worthless! :)

I think you can download the app or just get online with your Reserve and there is a part on the site to order a card. You then take the priority pass card (looks like a credit card) and give it and your boarding pass to the front desk clerk at the lounge.
    Kim

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    I guess Bricker and I have different definitions of worthless! :)

I think you can download the app or just get online with your Reserve and there is a part on the site to order a card. You then take the priority pass card (looks like a credit card) and give it and your boarding pass to the front desk clerk at the lounge.
    You can also go to the Priority Pass Website and add the card to your Apple Wallet; you might have to have it e-mailed to yourself first.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

he's right
    Thanks for reminding me that I have that thing in Wallet. I always forget to carry the physical card, b/c I am usually using SkyClubs which only needs my Amex Plat.

I have now booked 2 air trips with the Chase portal using points earned on this card for part of the airfare. In both instances there was a significant change to the flight schedule after I booked. That part had nothing to do with Chase. It was just chance. But, in both cases I was not informed by anybody and only found out when I visited the airline website (in one case American, in the other Delta), and saw the change noted there after I signed in and reviewed my trip info.
    The problem seems to be that the airlines don't communicate with Chase in a way that updates the Chase travel system. Right now, on the pending trip, my Chase account shows my flight info as I originally booked. Meanwhile, the airlines also either can't or choose not to tell me directly. They say they don't get my contact info from Chase, but I also have accounts with both airlines and they have contact info from that and the flight info is properly associated with my account.

The bottom line is, my advice is that when you book with the Chase portal -- it is up to you to periodically check your itinerary on the airline site and see if there has been any alteration. For the first trip, the big change was our outgoing flight on a WDW trip was moved up to a 6am departure, which was extremely annoying but again, not really related to booking through Chase and there was no big negative effect from not finding out immediately. There weren't any alternatives to rebook for a more reasonable departure anyway. But on the pending trip coming up in November (not to WDW by the way) I had connecting flights that were changed so much that rebooking was mandatory because the connection became impossible. If I did not have other business at Delta.com this weekend, I do not know when I would have found out about the need to rebook and I might not have had any reasonable options. So again, if you use the Chase or any similar portal, check your reservations and itineraries on the airline site every 2-3 weeks just in case, because nobody will tell you when things change.

ETA: I received an automated telephone call from Chase on August 24, close to 3 weeks after I discovered the latest change myself. Now that this happened, I do think something similar happened the first time as well. So Chase eventually finds out and notifies me, but very late.
    Last edited by mgarbowski; 08-24-2018 at 02:42 PM.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

I ended up downgrading my Sapphire Reserve to Chase Freedom this weekend. I had dreaded the call but it was super easy. As had been discussed earlier in the thread, I keep the same card number, and account history, and no credit check. I just didn't get a sign-up bonus. I did get a $37.50 credit for the (not quite) one month left of the annual fee on my second year of the Reserve card, which came as a surprise. I'll use the Freedom whenever the quarterly 5% bonus categories work for me and just let them build. Eventually I think I will reapply for one of the Sapphire cards and use the points that way.
    The Reserve was great. Thanks again to George for posting it here. I ended up paying two $450 annual fees (minus $37.50), getting an exactly matching $900 in travel credits (they modified this so now you could only get $600 in 2 years), plus the $1,500 initial bonus, plus whatever I earned on spend, which was quite generous.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mgarbowski View Post
    I ended up downgrading my Sapphire Reserve to Chase Freedom this weekend. I had dreaded the call but it was super easy. As had been discussed earlier in the thread, I keep the same card number, and account history, and no credit check. I just didn't get a sign-up bonus. I did get a $37.50 credit for the (not quite) one month left of the annual fee on my second year of the Reserve card, which came as a surprise. I'll use the Freedom whenever the quarterly 5% bonus categories work for me and just let them build. Eventually I think I will reapply for one of the Sapphire cards and use the points that way.
    The Reserve was great. Thanks again to George for posting it here. I ended up paying two $450 annual fees (minus $37.50), getting an exactly matching $900 in travel credits (they modified this so now you could only get $600 in 2 years), plus the $1,500 initial bonus, plus whatever I earned on spend, which was quite generous.
    Sounds like a good deal. Fourth quarter bonuses are: Department Stores, Wholesale Clubs, and on purchases made using Chase Pay.” Make sure you activate the bonus; they make you do that every quarter.

Tip: Gift Cards at Costco are a good use of the bonus. And be sure to sign up for Chase Pay and use it at participating gas stations.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Just be aware that Chase recently changed the rules. For the Sapphire cards it is now 48 months since you last received a bonus before you can sign up for another Sapphire.
    https://www.doctorofcredit.com/why-d...24-months-ago/
    So your "eventually" sign up will need to be 24 months from when first received Reserve.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Sounds like a good deal. Fourth quarter bonuses are: Department Stores, Wholesale Clubs, and on purchases made using Chase Pay.” Make sure you activate the bonus; they make you do that every quarter.

Tip: Gift Cards at Costco are a good use of the bonus. And be sure to sign up for Chase Pay and use it at participating gas stations.
    I love these Freedom categories just because we spend so much at Costco! Another option for Chase Pay is gift cards at Best Buy. If you sign up for the Best Buy program after you spend so much it triggers a $5 coupon. Not a lot but just one more to save for Disney. You can also use Chase Pay at Starbucks.
    Kim

Just be aware that Chase recently changed the rules. For the Sapphire cards it is now 48 months since you last received a bonus before you can sign up for another Sapphire.
    https://www.doctorofcredit.com/why-d...24-months-ago/
    So your "eventually" sign up will need to be 24 months from when first received Reserve.

I love these Freedom categories just because we spend so much at Costco! Another option for Chase Pay is gift cards at Best Buy. If you sign up for the Best Buy program after you spend so much it triggers a $5 coupon. Not a lot but just one more to save for Disney. You can also use Chase Pay at Starbucks.
    Thanks for the bonus time limit explanation . I figured I would have to wait about 2 years from now anyway, which is about what the rule works out to in my case. Even if I could sign back up again in 3 months I would have waited because (1) I really don't need the card and (2) I don't like the idea of churning cards like that, even when the rules say it's OK.

I activated the 4th Quarter categories a couple of days ago, and signed up for Chase Pay today. The latter is hardly intuitive compared to some other systems, and seems not to have a point, or even a reason to exist, but if Chase will pay me to use it, I won't argue.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,

I activated the 4th Quarter categories a couple of days ago, and signed up for Chase Pay today. The latter is hardly intuitive compared to some other systems, and seems not to have a point, or even a reason to exist, but if Chase will pay me to use it, I won't argue.
    Oh Chase Pay is way stupid given other options out there. I honestly do not know how long it will last as despite Chase pushing it there does not seem to be that many stores/businesses that take it. In first quarter last year Freedom had Apple Wallet as well and that was way nice. But Chase Pay is so awkward that sometimes (especially at Best Buy) the employees are not even familiar with it and do not understand why they need to scan the QR code.
    Kim