Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Incredible Chase Sapphire Reserve Introductory Promotion

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar

Cool Incredible Chase Sapphire Reserve Introductory Promotion

If you spend a lot on dining and travel (heck, even if you don't), you owe it to yourself to get the new Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa card during the introductory promo. The annual fee is $450, but in the first year you'll receive, among other things:

- 100,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points after spending $4,000 in the first three months
    - $300 per CALENDAR year in reimbursements for travel, which means you'll get $300 in 2016 and $300 in 2017; you can cancel the card before your renewal date, and you'll have received $600 in travel reimbursements. These are automatic statement credits which post immediately when you make the charges.
    - 3X Chase Ultimate Rewards points on all dining and travel purchases
    - Huge travel benefits, including a very generous travel interruption/baggage loss reimbursement and PRIMARY car rental insurance
    - The $100 TSA Precheck or Global Entry fee reimbursement
    - Airport lounge access around the world

This is widely seen as the most valuable new credit card promotion there has ever been.

Greg and I each got one; he hit his $4,000 spend, and so I just applied for mine. It arrives tomorrow. Putting authorized users on your account will cost $75 each, so that's not a particularly good deal.

I don't get any referral bonus if you sign up; there's no referral program at this time, but I thought I'd pass it along.

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/sapphire/reserve
    Last edited by George; 10-05-2016 at 10:39 PM.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Thanks!
    Brandi

We got one too. We're using the points to fly our family of four to Hawaii next fall. Aulani here we come!

It is an incredible bonus. The $450 fee seems scary but with the $300 credit it is effectively a $150 fee card. I got mine a couple weeks ago before we went to Virginia/Maryland. Used it on the rental car and the travel credit was taken off partially with it and then the rest with incidental charges at the Hyatt. Easy as can be. I am halfway through the required $4000 spending already. Such a good deal signed up my husband and he got his yesterday. With the WDW trip coming up we will go through the $300 credit without problem.

As George mentioned don't sign up for an authorized user without thinking about it. Unlike most cards there is the $75 fee...and the Reserve application form doesn't make that clear. (I was glad I had researched it and knew about it before hand).

The Points Guy has had a ton of articles about it lately looking at the card from all angles. It really is an awesome deal. My only problem now is just that I need to start planning where we are going on our 200,000 points. It will be somewhere warm and without kids!
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by kmc8826 View Post
    It is an incredible bonus. The $450 fee seems scary but with the $300 credit it is effectively a $150 fee card. I got mine a couple weeks ago before we went to Virginia/Maryland. Used it on the rental car and the travel credit was taken off partially with it and then the rest with incidental charges at the Hyatt. Easy as can be. I am halfway through the required $4000 spending already. Such a good deal signed up my husband and he got his yesterday. With the WDW trip coming up we will go through the $300 credit without problem.

As George mentioned don't sign up for an authorized user without thinking about it. Unlike most cards there is the $75 fee...and the Reserve application form doesn't make that clear. (I was glad I had researched it and knew about it before hand).

The Points Guy has had a ton of articles about it lately looking at the card from all angles. It really is an awesome deal. My only problem now is just that I need to start planning where we are going on our 200,000 points. It will be somewhere warm and without kids!
    Don't forget you'll get another $300 in statement credits in 2017 as well.

Stupid Judy.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Don't forget you'll get another $300 in statement credits in 2017 as well.
    As well as TSA PreCheck or Global Entry fee ($100) credited, though you probably have one of those already, Kim.

Really, if you're going to spend $4,000 on credit cards in three months, getting this card is a no-brainer.

I like to transfer CUR points to British Airways Executive club, then use those points to book short-haul trips on American. Recently, a last-minute trip to Baltimore which would've cost 25,000 AA miles cost me only 14,000 BA Executive Club miles! Taking into account that many of those CUR miles were earned at 2X with the Sapphire Preferred card (the Reserve Card awards 3X on travel and dining, which make up the bulk of my purchases on that card), that's an obscenely low point requirement.

Stupid Judy.

I have the card, but didn't realize the $300 travel credit was per calendar year. Thanks for mentioning that!

I did not apply for one for my wife, but should probably consider that.

Thanks! I'm totally looking into this.

Thanks for the link! we are looking to replace my husband's southwest card and looks like this is the way to go.

IMO this is a $0 AF card. Keep in mind this card comes with free trip insurance. Which, for my family usually runs about $150 on a typical week long vacation. So add the $300 travel credit and voila... $0. Granted, if you don't use the card for these purposes it isn't worth it but for us it definitely is. Add on 3x points for travel (worth 1.5c each when booking through UR, possibly more depending on which travel partners you transfer the points to) and you're also getting a 4.5% rebate on travel.

A great card to have right now but don't kid yourselves... Chase WILL scale back the benefits at some point, just as they have with other cards. Until then, enjoy it while it lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by kmc8826 View Post
    The Points Guy has had a ton of articles about it lately looking at the card from all angles.
    Of course he does. He's a shill for Chase.

Wow. Let's just see if I can remember to cancel it after 11 months. :)

Thanks for posting this. I've known about this deal for a couple of weeks and this thread prompted me to pull the trigger today. I was a little worried about the Chase 5/24 rule which means if you opened 5 bank cards with anyone in the last 24 months Chase won't approve you for their cards with bonus sign up offers. I do not churn through cards -- when I open one I usually keep it open for years at least-- but I have signed up for 3 new bank cards in the last year as part of an effort to maximize benefits, plus 2 store cards (Target and Amazon). I read that the store cards don't count but all info about the rule is unofficial. In any event, I was approved.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

I applied on Tuesday, got approved, and received my card today. Just in time for back-to-back Disney trips. I'll buy my DVC AP vouchers for activation next October. All Disney purchases (including DVC dues!) are coded as travel.

Stupid Judy.

he's right
    I've been thinking about dumping my Delta Plat card, as I'm scaling back my business air travel soon and the extra MQMs probably won't matter. This might be a good replacement for that.

George: the lounge access is Priority Pass Select, or something more? I already have the former via my AMEX plat.

Quote Originally Posted by quince View Post
    Wow. Let's just see if I can remember to cancel it after 11 months. :)
    I just actually downgraded my Chase Sapphire Preferred to a Freedom Unlimited (I already had the Freedom). Rather than cancel the card out right you might think about calling and seeing if you can downgrade it to a no fee card.
    Kim

I applied on Tuesday, got approved, and received my card today. Just in time for back-to-back Disney trips. I'll buy my DVC AP vouchers for activation next October. All Disney purchases (including DVC dues!) are coded as travel.
    Apparently Parksavers and Undercover Tourist are also coded as travel. As is payments into the Disney Vacation Account.
    Kim

As well as TSA PreCheck or Global Entry fee ($100) credited, though you probably have one of those already, Kim.
    Yes I do...but apparently just FYI to anyone interested the TSA PreCheck/Global Entry credit can be gifted to someone else. Just go with them when they apply and make the payment on your card.

I am with George; just super excited about this card. Yes the benefits might change (and probably will) but for now I am happy I got it and excited DH was approved and has one now too!
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    I've been thinking about dumping my Delta Plat card, as I'm scaling back my business air travel soon and the extra MQMs probably won't matter. This might be a good replacement for that.

George: the lounge access is Priority Pass Select, or something more? I already have the former via my AMEX plat.
    It is PPS, but the difference here is that everyone traveling with you gets access; with AMEX Plat it's just the Cardholder.

Stupid Judy.

he's right
    That's helpful, though I confess I've not been charged the last few times I brought someone else in on my PPS---those were all international, so YMMV.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    We're planning on traveling to Europe for 2-3 weeks next summer. Sounds like this card might be perfect.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

We currently have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, think they'd let me upgrade to this or is for new card applications only?
    Staci
    May 2015 TR
    - CBR with my teen niece - big kid focused trip.
    Universal October 2015 TR - Royal Pacific with my 16yo son.
    April 2016 TR Staying Offsite & using rider swaps: a young children focused trip.

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryTink View Post
    We currently have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, think they'd let me upgrade to this or is for new card applications only?
    I have 2 other Chase cards. Neither is the Sapphire Preferred but they had no apparent effect on my application, perks or bonuses. You often cannot sign up for the same card twice and get a bonus, but I have never heard of this being an issue for related cards. EG if you have an Amex Gold card and they run a promo for Platinum sign ups you would be eligible. I think you might not "upgrade" per se but just add the Reserve and cancel the Preferred. Before doing that, I would inquire to find out what happens to accumulated points on the Preferred if you cancel. I'm not sure they can just transfer over because points earned with the Reserve are worth more in the portal than the Preferred points.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

Thanks, Mark - good to know that you had 2 other Chase cards and applied - we do as well and I can't see holding on to all three. I may just go ahead and apply as a new account and try to use my remaining Preferred points on gift cards or something. We used some points for flights for an upcoming December Disney trip so the balance isn't crazy high, anyway.

Thanks, again.
    Staci
    May 2015 TR
    - CBR with my teen niece - big kid focused trip.
    Universal October 2015 TR - Royal Pacific with my 16yo son.
    April 2016 TR Staying Offsite & using rider swaps: a young children focused trip.

They will let you upgrade, but you won't get the promotional bonuses. My Preferred expires next month, and I won't renew it. But I will transfer the available credit to my new Reserve before closing the Preferred.

Stupid Judy.

As said by George, apply for the Reserve as a new application so you get the bonus. If you have the online account you can do it through there and see where it is an offered card. I also had a Preferred but got the Reserve. It doesn't make sense to have both since the reserve has 3 times on dining and travel where preferred only has 2. You can transfer your preferred UR points to the Reserve account. Then just this week I didn't have a Freedom Unlimited so I called them and had them change the Preferred to that. I don't plan on using the FU, but it doesn't hurt to have it since it is a no fee card. Chase will let you change around how much credit you have on each card (even if you don't use it that way you can balance it better for your overall credit score). I already had a Freedom or would have gotten that instead...it is 5% back at stores like Costco through the end of the year.
    Kim