Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane!!

Quote Originally Posted by beachta1 View Post
    My work trip was cancelled AKA our trip has been cancelled. Sad is an understatement. Time to get on hold for a few hours to see what I'm able to cancel / refund.

Boo! So, next trip will be with baby???
    Cathy
    Trip Report #1 http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...mber-2015-Trip
    Trip Report #2 http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...-Trip-Report-2
    Trip Report #3
    https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showt...I-got-this!!!!

WDW~ May 2009, July/August 2010, September 2013, December 2015, February 2017 & September 2018
    DL~ July/August 2016

Spent 75 minutes on hold to cancel. Was able to cancel the resort reservation over the phone, had to send an email to an address they gave me to cancel park tickets and party tickets. Said it may be awhile but the refund for both will happen. Working with the airlines was much easier, since we have Southwest we just have the credit back on our account instead of losing money. I'm bummed but the next trip will be with the future DD so its something to look forward to! And here I thought zika was going to ruin my trip....
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/dreambuildertricia

Any idea if they close the parks on Friday if they will automatically refund the $? I'm guessing not.
    10/88 - Off Site, 5/89 -Off Site, 4/94 - Poly, 5/96 - Swan, 9/99 - Tree House Villas, 3/02 - WL, 3/04 - CR, 11/11 - Poly,
    10/16 - POR

Quote Originally Posted by Rhody123 View Post
    Any idea if they close the parks on Friday if they will automatically refund the $? I'm guessing not.
    I don't think Disney automatically does anything that includes giving you money back..
    Tricia

Disney will refund you if you cancel your trip entirely - including park tickets, etc. If you go to WDW (ie check into hotel) but do not go the parks - they will not refund your park tickets. This is what my sister was told when she called inquiring about the policies.
    "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world." - Walt Disney
    "Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role." - Walt Disney (Take that you WDWers... )

Linkura
    There's a 99% chance this is going to be a disaster if you go through with this. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkura View Post
    There's a 99% chance this is going to be a disaster if you go through with this. Seriously.
    Thanks for repeatedly telling me how stupid I am. I asked if they were refunding money for cancellations automatically.
    10/88 - Off Site, 5/89 -Off Site, 4/94 - Poly, 5/96 - Swan, 9/99 - Tree House Villas, 3/02 - WL, 3/04 - CR, 11/11 - Poly,
    10/16 - POR

I'm sorry if my comment came off as rude!! I would encourage calling if you want to refund anything for your trip. I don't imagine that Disney would do that automatically without you calling first. Unfortunately they don't make it easy. The CM I spoke to last night on the phone said they'd been getting a ton of calls and would be processing everything as quickly as they could.
    Tricia

My work trip was cancelled AKA our trip has been cancelled. Sad is an understatement. Time to get on hold for a few hours to see what I'm able to cancel / refund.
    oh no! :( I'm sorry!

Spent 75 minutes on hold to cancel. Was able to cancel the resort reservation over the phone, had to send an email to an address they gave me to cancel park tickets and party tickets. Said it may be awhile but the refund for both will happen. Working with the airlines was much easier, since we have Southwest we just have the credit back on our account instead of losing money. I'm bummed but the next trip will be with the future DD so its something to look forward to! And here I thought zika was going to ruin my trip....
    Right?! Stupid Hurricane. But gasp! how exciting that you next Disney trip will be as a Mom!!!! :)

No because a one day ticket can be use any other time and they have no way of knowing you planned to be in the park on Friday. If you're talking about having, for example, a 5 day ticket and Friday would have been the 5th day...nope cause you can use it any day up to 14 days from the date of first use.

I'm so sorry for everyone that's affected by this storm. The bummer is it will probably be over Friday night and the want to be there first thing Saturday to continue or start your trip is understandable. But Orlando is literally central Florida. Gas stations will be closed/empty from GA all the way down.

Has Disney officially announced the parks are closed on Friday yet? I have a friend that works in MK and as of last night he was still scheduled to work.
    CR Jan 18-23 2018 YC Jan 23-28

from Disney's website just now:

Error: October 6, 2016
    October 6, 2016
    Walt Disney World Resort is currently operating under normal conditions as we continue to monitor Hurricane Matthew. Recent forecasts indicate that there could be rain and wind in the Central Florida area as early as Thursday evening, October 6, 2016. Please continue to monitor news outlets for the latest weather information.
    Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party has been canceled on Thursday, October 6, 2016. For more details visit the Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party page.
    CR Jan 18-23 2018 YC Jan 23-28

National Hurricane Center links: Trajectory & Local Warnings; FL link: Evacuation

I found these linked off of an Orlando residents discussion and thought they would be helpful for those deciding whether to go (or even when to decide).

Florida evacuation list: http://www.floridadisaster.org/info/index.htm
    Only coastal areas being evacuated. Palm Beach County official quoted in an article stating low lying areas are being evacuated because of storm surge, not winds.

NHC Trajectory: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/grap...daynl#contents
    Looks like the worst part will arrive in Orlando around 2 am early Friday morning.

NHC Local Warnings for Florida (Orlando=Orange; Kissimmee=Oscealo): https://alerts.weather.gov/cap/fl.php?x=1

The most recent Hurricane Local Statement for Orange, Oscealo & nine other counties was issued at 5:44 this morning. Here's the short version I pulled to send friends who are driving down this morning: Matthew is forecast to move along or over the coastal areas very early Friday morning into the afternoon. "Effects such as these ranging from the coast to well inland have not been experienced in Central Florida in decades." Inland winds will be stronger than in the 2004 hurricanes, with sustained hurricane level winds Friday morning. Potential for surge flooding. Heavy rains in squalls increasing in coverage & frequency Thursday into Friday, total 5 to 8 inches rain (higher concentrations in coastal areas). Any evacuations and structure preparation should be completed this afternoon. Travel will be strongly discouraged beginning at dusk.
    Last edited by amk3; 10-06-2016 at 08:03 AM. Reason: add more details
    Andrea in Atlanta

Thanks for repeatedly telling me how stupid I am. I asked if they were refunding money for cancellations automatically.
    Reading through this, I don't think anyone meant to offend you. I think people are just looking out for you. The latest from the National Weather Service (see below) is super scary and it's supposed to be at its worst from tonight through Saturday morning. I think people here just don't want to see you (or anyone else) get hurt. No matter what you do, I wish you the best of luck!

- CURRENT THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY: EXTREME
    - THE WIND THREAT HAS REMAINED NEARLY STEADY FROM THE
    PREVIOUS ASSESSMENT.
    - EMERGENCY PLANS SHOULD INCLUDE A REASONABLE THREAT FOR
    MAJOR HURRICANE FORCE WIND GREATER THAN 110 MPH OF
    EQUIVALENT CATEGORY 3 INTENSITY OR HIGHER.
    - TO BE SAFE, AGGRESSIVELY PREPARE FOR THE POTENTIAL OF
    DEVASTATING TO CATASTROPHIC WIND IMPACTS. REMAINING EFFORTS
    TO SECURE PROPERTIES SHOULD NOW BE BROUGHT TO COMPLETION.
    - EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND LIFE-THREATENING WIND IS POSSIBLE.
    FAILURE TO ADEQUATELY SHELTER MAY RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY,
    LOSS OF LIFE, OR IMMENSE HUMAN SUFFERING. MOVE TO SAFE
    SHELTER BEFORE THE WIND BECOMES HAZARDOUS.
    Meredith

Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DisneyMadeEasy
    September 2011 WL+CR; August 2012 BC + Disney's Vero Beach Resort; May 2013 CSR + Disney Dream; April 2014 BWI; October 2014 AoA + Disney Fantasy; August 2015 Disney's Hilton Head Resort; November 2015 POFQ and Universal's Royal Pacific; January 2016 Disney Magic; November 2016 Disney Wonder; December 2016 BLT, BCV, and Universal's Portofino

[QUOTE=meremac;373156]Reading through this, I don't think anyone meant to offend you. I think people are just looking out for you. The latest from the National Weather Service (see below) is super scary and it's supposed to be at its worst from tonight through Saturday morning. I think people here just don't want to see you (or anyone else) get hurt. No matter what you do, I wish you the best of luck!

Meredith, That person had commented repeatedly on my posts when I was just asking questions. One was an imoge of someone banging their head against the wall. So I did find it offensive. Of course I would never drive into a hurricane or put my family at risk. I live on a coast that has seen many hurricanes. I was simply saying we might try to get to Atlanta and wait there til Saturday and that same person, on a different thread, told me I was insane to do that too. So I'm just not needing that person to comment on my life right now when things are stressful enough
    10/16 - POR

In the prior post it sounded as if you were going to drive Atlanta to Orlando on Friday, which is the day NWS is saying *not* to travel. Looking at the trajectory as of this moment I do think you could at least plan to drive to Valdosta, Georgia on Friday afternoon, which will get you to Disney much earlier on Saturday. Good luck with your workarounds!
    Andrea in Atlanta

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar

Meredith, That person had commented repeatedly on my posts when I was just asking questions. One was an imoge of someone banging their head against the wall. So I did find it offensive. Of course I would never drive into a hurricane or put my family at risk. I live on a coast that has seen many hurricanes. I was simply saying we might try to get to Atlanta and wait there til Saturday and that same person, on a different thread, told me I was insane to do that too. So I'm just not needing that person to comment on my life right now when things are stressful enough
    "What you think of me is none of my business."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

Anyway, it's really a shame that this storm had to throw a wrench into everyone's plans (especially those in the Caribbean, let't not forget); I hope most people can enjoy a trip with a delayed start or, at the very least, start enjoying planning again for the next visit.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

josh's date at akershus stevenmilz's Avatar
    For anyone attempting to head to the Central FL area anytime in the near future, please take a look at this site - http://flhurricane.com/. The folks that run this site know what they're talking about. Check out the graphics in the "5AM EDT Update 6 October 2016". There's a good chance that the entire eastern coast of FL is going to be completely devastated and central FL will have extensive impacts. Key in on the "may be completely uninhabitable for weeks of months" statement. I would not be surprised if WDW is affected by this storm for a few weeks at minimum, especially if a lot of CMs can't work because of personal storm impacts. Remember too that the storm is most likely going to make a loop and potentially come back for "round 2". They just don't know how strong it'll be after it turns.
    Steve
    Offsite (Jul 87, Nov 09, Feb 13) Disney Institute (Jun 97) CR (Aug 81, Aug 83, Aug 86, May 10) BLT (Dec 10, Sep 11) FW/VWL (Nov 10) Poly (Mar 11, May 11) BC/BCV (Dec 11, Mar 12, Jan 13) BWI/BWV (May 12, Dec 12, May 13, Sep 13, Mar 14, Sep 14) SSR (Oct 11) YC (Oct 12) Swan (Oct 13) WBC (Dec 13, May 14, Dec 14) Pop (Oct 14) POFQ (Jan 15, Mar 15, Sep 15, Oct 15, Jan 16, Sep 16, Nov 16, Mar 17, May 17) CBR (Dec 15) ASMo (Dec 16)

Quote Originally Posted by stevenmilz View Post
    For anyone attempting to head to the Central FL area anytime in the near future, please take a look at this site - http://flhurricane.com/. The folks that run this site know what they're talking about. Check out the graphics in the "5AM EDT Update 6 October 2016". There's a good chance that the entire eastern coast of FL is going to be completely devastated and central FL will have extensive impacts. Key in on the "may be completely uninhabitable for weeks of months" statement. I would not be surprised if WDW is affected by this storm for a few weeks at minimum, especially if a lot of CMs can't work because of personal storm impacts. Remember too that the storm is most likely going to make a loop and potentially come back for "round 2". They just don't know how strong it'll be after it turns.
    So sorry for those that have to cancel/modify trips. I hope everyone stays safe. Our niece is in St. Augustine going to Flager college. She will be going to stay with her Aunt during the storm but will still be in the area of impact. The "uninhabitable for weeks or months" statement is truly scary.

We are planning to travel to Orlando in 2 weeks. What is the benefit of me looking at that site and the comments of what the potential impact is likely to be for a trip that far right now? In 48 hours we will have good idea what the situation is and what is needed.

Potential impact to my vacation - boohoo, first world problem. It's only vacation. Once the storm is over, we can review plans but right now - I don't really care at all about the trip. I just hope people are safe, and the storm doesn't hit as bad as it's predicted to.

It's very scary.

Linkura
    I am just worried about your and your family. I came off as harsh (and I know I did) because it seems like you are not taking this seriously enough. You have seen many hurricanes; so have I, living in the Providence and Boston area nearly my entire life. This is literally NOTHING like we have seen before up here in New England. We are looking at a Cat 4 storm hitting extremely close. It's no joke. Even if the storm is gone late Friday/Saturday, the area is going to be devastated. You will not be able to find gas easily; roads are going to be closed, destroyed, and obstructed. Disney might be ok, but getting there is going to be dangerous. Please, I implore you to reschedule. At best, you're going to have a very rough time getting to Disney; at worst, your family could be seriously injured or killed.

Remember too that the storm is most likely going to make a loop and potentially come back for "round 2". They just don't know how strong it'll be after it turns.
    I hear there's a chance of a loop, but I haven't heard any major source saying it is highly likely let alone the most likely option. Current forecast for Orlando on Saturday is for sun and a little rain and Sunday looks beautiful. I read back over a couple of Charley trip reports from 2004. Everything was up and running 24 hours after the storm ended. Matthew certainly might be worse especially at Disney based on the trajectory. But right now I think only those who were scheduled to arrive today or tomorrow or Saturday should be carefully watching the weather, and certainly planning for park closures and no travel in the Orlando area on Friday.

UPDATE: Okay just after writing this checked the NHC trajectory & the loop is now officially on the trajectory. But NHC predicts it should downgrade to a storm before it loops. In happier news it looks like there was a very very very slight shift to the east.
    Last edited by amk3; 10-06-2016 at 10:07 AM. Reason: new trajectory
    Andrea in Atlanta

We have rescheduled the trip. I can't get through to Disney to cancel the plans for tomorrow. Does anyone know what number I should call?
    10/16 - POR

I have a friend currently stuck down at WDW until Sunday (at the earliest). They were supposed to fly out today and flight was cancelled and earliest return flight they could get on was Sunday. Would assume this has happened to many people and they are now using the rooms of the people that had to cancel. They are out enjoying the parks right now but hope they and all stay safe during the storms.
    Cathy
    Trip Report #1 http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...mber-2015-Trip
    Trip Report #2 http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...-Trip-Report-2
    Trip Report #3
    https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showt...I-got-this!!!!

WDW~ May 2009, July/August 2010, September 2013, December 2015, February 2017 & September 2018
    DL~ July/August 2016

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    We have rescheduled the trip. I can't get through to Disney to cancel the plans for tomorrow. Does anyone know what number I should call?
    Which plans? Resort? Dining? (407) WDI-SNEY should work, though it's probably really busy.

Maybe try cancelling online if it's a resort and see if there's a special dispensation due to the storm?
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

living life to its fullest 3Caballeros's Avatar
    Our friends were camping in Fort Wilderness and were evacuated. Instead of trying to fight the traffic and run out of gas with a huge RV behind them, they took the resort that was offered to them (POP) and had to leave their very nice camper parked in some off-the-grid Disney parking lot. They know it's dangerous to be in the area but they thought it would be even more dangerous to try and drive back to TN. They realize their camper will most-likely be destroyed but they say that's what insurance is for. I can testify that when you camp in an RV a lot, it is your home away from home. I'm sad for them.

Things are pretty serious here at the moment...schools and libraries and convention centers etc all closed today and tomorrow. The airport is shutting down tonight. Gas stations are low on fuel. Stores are running out of food/water.

I am mildly prepared myself. Have my flashlight. Have my bottled water. Have my food. Hoping power/water don't go out and somebody's roof doesn't go through my windows. Hopefully it will be one of those "we got lucky and dodged the worst of it" situations.