Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's been 6 long years but we're finally going back!! Mommy/Daughter Trip 08/10-08/20

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar

It's been 6 long years but we're finally going back!! Mommy/Daughter Trip 08/10-08/20

It's been 6 long years since our family last went to the World and in 4 days we'll be heading back. I'm so excited I can hardly stand it!!! The past few years have been pretty crappy so this is a much needed trip. All the pre-trip shopping has been done, working on getting the house cleaned, laundry is done and last night I started throwing clothes at the suitcases lol. I'll be sorting through all of those sometime today or later tonight and start putting outfits together for each day.

Our first trip was in June 2008 for my youngest daughter's 6th birthday and we stayed at Pop Century in the 60's section. At that time we were a family of 4: me, DH, stepdaughter and daughter. It was a magical trip and I definitely drank the kool-aid! Our second trip was in November 2010 and we stayed at Pop again. We had a room in the 60's section again but this time it was with a lake view. It was very nice! On that trip we had vouchers from the Give-A-Day Get-A-Day promotion Disney had done earlier in the year. The vouchers allowed us to get extra FPs. While we still did rope drop, having those vouchers allowed us to sleep in a little later when we needed because we knew we'd be able to get a FP for our favorites. Out of the two trips, that was the most relaxing.

After 2010, life got busy and there was no time or money for trips to Disney World. In 2012, we went from a family of 4 to a family of 2. In 2013/2014 I was dealing with medical issues and in 2014 my ex-DH died. That first year was a rough one for the girls and I but we made it through and life is going pretty good. I originally wanted this to be an all girls trip at Christmas with me, my youngest DD, my stepdaughter, my oldest DD and my granddaughter. Pricing on that trip nearly made me faint! LOL My stepdaughter and oldest DD told me they wouldn't have been able to go anyway due to work so I guess it's a good thing lol. Later, my youngest DD told me she wanted this trip to just be the two of us so the Mommy/Daughter trip was born!

We have 10 day base tickets and a 9 day/8 night stay at Pop with the DDP. For the first two days we'll be staying offsite at the Embassy Suites by Hilton on International Drive. I'm driving from North Carolina so my plan is to leave around 3:00 a.m. on the 10th with arrival sometime around lunch. I'll be ready for a nap by the pool when we get there! I've got a Restaurant.com e-gift certificate for Shogun so we'll go there for dinner that night. This will be a very early night! On the 11th, DD and I will head to MK. I'm planning on getting there around 11:00, 11:30 at the latest., but if we wake up early enough we may get there sooner. This will be a day to meet some characters, see the Festival of Fantasy parade and do some things we've not done before. Not sure if we will eat lunch somewhere or if we'll just want a snack. I'd like to leave MK around 6 or 6:30 and head to Earl of Sandwich at Disney Springs for dinner. Since we're doing rope drop at EPCOT on the 12th it will be a very early check-out at Embassy Suites. I'm hoping that there won't be any issues with being able to use the dining plan since we're going straight to a Park. I've done online check-in and I think that should be okay but I've read varying reports on this. I may stop by Pop sometime before our package just to make sure.

Here's our itinerary:

08/12: rope drop EPCOT; early night
    08/13: rope drop DHS (we've never made it for rope drop at DHS before so this should be interesting!)
    08/14: rope drop AK; early night
    08/15: sleep in/DHS
    08/16: EMM at MK
    08/17: rope drop EPCOT
    08/18: rope drop MK
    08/19: sleep in/late arrival AK and stay for evening entertainment (no Jungle Book!)
    08/20: EPCOT then head home

I may do some live updates here while we're there and I'm taking a page from nursepaula and will post pics on Instagram, or at least I'll try to remember to do that! LOL If you're interested in following I'm jillyb61 (I know, very original! LOL)

Guess I better get off this computer and get to cleaning!
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
    November 2010 @ Pop Century
    August 2016 @ Pop Century
    August 2017 @ DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando at Seaworld
    May 2019 @ All-Stars Movies
    August 2019 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

Linkura
    Looking forward to reading!!

Have fun!

Yay! Have fun!!

Rule
    #1: the nurse is always right.
    Rule
    #2: if the nurse is ever wrong, see Rule #1.

Wishing you two a wonderful trip! Be safe and we'll hear from you soon!

Wishing you a wonderful trip and looking forward to reading/seeing pictures!

Have a great trip! Only 2 more days to go :)

Have a great trip! I'll follow along on IG.
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

Safe travels! You deserve a great trip!
    10/88 - Off Site, 5/89 -Off Site, 4/94 - Poly, 5/96 - Swan, 9/99 - Tree House Villas, 3/02 - WL, 3/04 - CR, 11/11 - Poly,
    10/16 - POR

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar
    The day is finally here!!!!!!!!! Puppy dropped off at the kennel this morning. Doing last minute laundry. Have a full tank of gas. Oil in the car has been checked and topped up. Cleaned the windows on the car. Dishwasher ready to go. Litterbox will be cleaned and trash taken out right before we leave. The cases of water and bag of snacks are in the car. Toiletries bag and suitcase will be loaded soon. So far Embassy Suites is telling me they can't upgrade me for early check in. I'm hoping that changes by the time we get there. Time to get some sleep before we leave!!!
    Last edited by jillyb; 08-30-2016 at 09:07 AM.
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

Have fun! Our times overlap. I will look out for you on Saturday at HS for rope drop :) So EXCITING!

Linkura
    Best of luck on the ride there!!

Followed along on IG, you had some great pictures! Looking forward to a TR.
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

dawn
    Hey! so I'm wondering how your trip went ( I dont have IG) and if by doing online check in you activated your dining plan for use without going to Pop first?

Following along! Looking forward to hearing about your trip.

Hi. Really really enjoy your trip. I understand the part about tough times and am so glad to hear things with you are better. Tough times for me and wishing and dreaming about a future Disney trip is the bright spot. Your story is inspiring! Thank you for sharing!!

Quote Originally Posted by dawn View Post
    Hey! so I'm wondering how your trip went ( I dont have IG) and if by doing online check in you activated your dining plan for use without going to Pop first?
    Hi Dawn! No, online check-in did not activate my DDP. I stopped by Pop on our arrival day and had the Concierge check. They said it would not be activated when we were at EPCOT because I had entered my check-in time as 11:00 a.m. I was told to change the time to 7:00 a.m. and that would allow me to be able to use the DDP so I did that (before our package started). When we went to Kringla Bakeri on our first morning for a snack and scanned my Magic Band I was told I wasn't on the DDP so I had to pay OOP. When we went back to Pop, I had to go to the Concierge and get a credit. It worked later that night when we had dinner at Coral Reef. I bought 2 drinks that weren't covered under the DDP and had them charged to our room and somehow ended up with a .99 credit! LOL I never did get that .99 back!

I will say that just because it didn't work for me doesn't mean it won't work for others. I think it's just hit-or-miss really.
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century

So, obviously we're back from our trip lol. We had a great time! I've been sorting through my pictures and finally got them all organized. I should have some time this weekend to get started on the trip report. I don't think it's going to be a blow-by-blow of our trip. Just here's what we did this day with some pictures thrown in lol.
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaJenn View Post
    Hi. Really really enjoy your trip. I understand the part about tough times and am so glad to hear things with you are better. Tough times for me and wishing and dreaming about a future Disney trip is the bright spot. Your story is inspiring! Thank you for sharing!!
    I hope things are better for you soon! One thing I've learned over the past few years, there is always hope!
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century

Quote Originally Posted by beachta1 View Post
    Followed along on IG, you had some great pictures! Looking forward to a TR.
    Thanks! I got a bit lazy and didn't post as many as I thought!
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century

Looking forward to following, whatever you post. Glad you had a great trip!

Following and enjoying!

Okay...let's get this party started!!!

We left EPCOT at 4:10 p.m. on the 20th and got home about 1:30 a.m. on Sunday. Considering it's the first week back from vacation, it's not been a bad week. Hannah had High School Freshman Orientation on Wednesday afternoon and later that day we got her schedule for the 1st semester and met her teachers. Monday is the first day of school so things are about to get busy at our house! We'll be out there with everyone else this weekend doing last minute school supply shopping

Pre-packing mess 5 days before our trip:

All packed the next day!

We left at 3:21 a.m. on the 10th

Time to hit the road!

She's thrilled...can't you tell?!

We hit the GA/FL State Line at 9:04 and was rolling into the Florida Welcome Center at 9:08. Hannah refused to have her picture taken so I made her take mine!

This is a scary damn bridge!!

Enjoying the view:

We got to the Embassy Suites on International Drive around 1:00 or so. After getting the luggage to our room we headed out for ice cream because we're on vacation and you can have ice cream for lunch!

I may have squealed in excitement when I saw this sign. I'm not admitting to anything.

We were headed to -

Hannah got the Sweet Cream n' Cookies
    Mommmmmmmmmmmmmmmm why do you have to take my picture??!!

I got Ooey Gooey Butter Cake

It was good but, honestly, I wish I'd gotten a different flavor.

After we were done with our ice cream, we hit the photo booth in front of Ample Hills:

You can use your MagicBand or a PhotoPass card for this picture. Since our MagicBands weren't activated yet and I didn't have a PhotoPass card I paid the $5.00 for this picture. You get a choice of frame before the picture is taken and then there are 3 poses to choose from afterwards.

We explored the Boardwalk Inn a bit just because I'd never been there before then headed back to Embassy Suites because Hannah was chomping at the bit to get in the pool. I made a stop at Pop Century first to make sure the DDP would be activated on the 12th when our package started. I had done online check-in and entered our arrival time as 11:00 a.m. The Concierge told me that with that check-in time the DDP would not be activated and I needed to change it to 7:00 a.m. I did that but when I tried to use my MagicBand on Friday at Kringla Bakeri, the CM said I didn't have the dining plan so I ended up having to pay cash and got a credit when we got to Pop.

That's all for now!
    Last edited by jillyb; 07-24-2017 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Because Photobucket Sucks
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century

yayay! Following along! I have done 2 mommy/daughter trips and they are the best. (Granted my daughter is only 5, but still)
    Next trips -
    July 2019 - Mother/Daughter trip to Morocco and Paris - 1 day in Disneyland Paris
    December 2019 - Disney Magic - Dec 7-12

WDW -
    1993, 1997, 1998, 1999 (Cabins at Ft. Wilderness)
    9/2013 (POR)
    11/2014 (BWV)
    12/2015 (POP)
    9/2017 (CSR)
    8/2018 (POP)
    Disneyland - 2006, 2007, 2009

Yeah- TR started!