Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Break Nieces Tour 2016

Spring Break Nieces Tour 2016

Hi guys! This is actually starting with a pre-trip and I will try to do a bit of live updating during the trip because I so enjoy when others do "live" reports here in the forums.

Cast: Me - the Disney loving aunt & overplanner, Adult Dear Niece (ADN), her son (4.5) and daughter (20 months), and Teen Dear Niece (14).

This is my 7th trip since 2007, ADN's 3rd trip and first time for TDN. We are going offsite this time with a condo in Windsor Palms because I really felt like we would need the extra room and I couldn't pass up the great deal we got on this condo. We will be driving down from north of Atlanta on Monday, April 4th.

Plans are:
    Tuesday 4/5 'Ohana breakfast at 7:30, then on to MK. Break after parade (yes, I know that is not much of a break) and back at 8:00ish.
    Wednesday 4/6 sleep in day, maybe Disney Springs and then heading to HS at about 1:30 and staying until close to see the Star Wars fireworks
    Thursday 4/7 8:00 BOG reservation and then MK until we run out of steam.
    Friday 4/8 Epcot - hoping to RD and we have late lunch reservation at Via Napoli
    Saturday 4/9 Animal Kingdom
    Sunday 4/10 Driving home

I'm posting some pictures of us below, if you happen to run into us next week, please say Hello!

Staci.jpg
    This is me last year - my hair is much shorter now :)

anna.jpg
    Teen Dear Niece (Yes, she was adopted - she has been in the family only 5.5 years :-)

Candice.jpg
    Adult Dear Niece and son in 2014 :)

Happy Weekend, all!
    Staci
    May 2015 TR
    - CBR with my teen niece - big kid focused trip.
    Universal October 2015 TR - Royal Pacific with my 16yo son.
    April 2016 TR Staying Offsite & using rider swaps: a young children focused trip.

That's a nice picture in France during Flower/Garden!

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    That's a nice picture in France during Flower/Garden!
    Thanks, Josh!

PS - Oh, and also thanks for creating this wonderfully useful and fun site and my favorite book about Disney! ;-)
    Staci
    May 2015 TR
    April 2016 TR Staying Offsite & using rider swaps: a young children focused trip.

Have a great trip!

Following along of course! I hope you like having the space and savings of off site. I think it was definitely a good choice in your situation.
    Kim

We'll be there then too. Thursday - Saturday. Unfortunately thanks to trying to coordinate with family, I'm still not 100% what our parks are. But we may run into you on Thursday or Friday. (I'm also adopted. I'm from Korea, but I am 30.)

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle55555 View Post
    We'll be there then too. Thursday - Saturday. Unfortunately thanks to trying to coordinate with family, I'm still not 100% what our parks are. But we may run into you on Thursday or Friday. (I'm also adopted. I'm from Korea, but I am 30.)
    We would love to run into you - look for us! :) TDN is from China (obviously, I suppose) but is trying to learn to speak Korean. She would love to practice with someone who speaks the language. I realize you may not, depending upon the age you were when adopted. She is also hoping to find someone in the China pavilion she can speak to in her native language. She is trying hard to stay bilingual. :)

Have a great trip - the weather looks really nice Friday and Saturday. Of course, it is Orlando and they change the forecast hourly...
    Staci
    May 2015 TR

Oh, I don't speak Korean, I was 3 months old when I was adopted. I can tell her Hello, Thank You, and Count to 10, and a few other phrases. I wish I spoke Korean, but my brother, who was adopted at toddler time, learned when he was an adult, I hope to as well. I hope she finds someone to talk to.

Hi guys! Wanted to give you a quick live update! The drive from ATL went well and we found Windsor Palms with no issues. Got to the TTC at 7:10 for our 7:30 Ohana and the resort monorail was down, so we had to walk. Still got there at 7:20 and got seated 3rd which was great because we saw all the characters quickly and left at 8:20 to make the opening show!!

image.jpg

We went to Tomorrowland and ADN, TDN & the 4.5 year old rode Space while I rode Astroorbiter with my 20 month old grandniece. She was not impressed!! Lol. We got a rider swap for Space, of course. This RS is new to me and is actually a very nice trade off for pushing around 2 strollers. We then all rode Buzz and our plan was to do speedway, but the line looked awful - our first indication that it was more crowded than we expected. We tried teacups, which also had a line so we decided to jump to barnstormer before the line got horrible. I tried to take DGN (dear grand niece) to meeting Minnie, but it was 9:45 and she opened at 10, so we just hung out. There was some delay at the ride and they didn't get back to us until 10:10. We hopped the train to the front and took DGN to the Barber Shop for her first hair cut appointment at 10:30. This was awesome - highly recommended!
    MK_MAGCMMNTS_7648862781.jpg MK_MAGCMMNTS_7648862786.jpg

Next, everyone but me had a FP for Mickey and I met Tink standby. Our next FP was 7DMT and we got there and rider swapped it while I took the little one on Pooh with my FP.

A little snatch from the photos:
    image.jpg

I actually used the RS for 7DMT right away with TDN & the only boy on the trip. When we got back it was about 11:45 and ADN asked when we were eating because she thought the kids might need to eat. We went to Pinnochio's cause kiddos gotta eat but I made a rookie mistake and forgot to check my plan! It was, of course, crazy crowded and we waited quite a while. When we were finishing I looked at the plan and realized we were supposed to do the next FP at PP before eating: 12:05 -1:05! It was about 12:45 and TDN needed a restroom break so we sent her and packed up. When we got back to the restrooms we saw a huge line!!

She made it out about 12:55 and we made our FP - phew! Then, in an irony only a mom of 4 year old will understand, the little guy realized he needed to go (emergency) in the FP line. We were before the merge point and the nice CM let her take him while we waited at the merge point. We got outta there about 1:45 or so I think.

Next, we went to Frontierland. Explanation of how we had extra FP: My adult son with autism has 4 days left on a non expiration ticket from 2012 (he was not a fan of the crowds, so I have never taken him back) and my hubby has a 3 day ticket I bought before the recent price hike, so I set up and used FP for them as well as us.

We had 2 FP for BTMRR, which TDN & I rode and got a rider swap. Then, all the others rode Splash with a FP while I waited with the now napping DGN. The 4 year old adored this ride so we used the RS right then. It took forever and kept stopping. They actually shut it down when we got off. All of this made us very late for the parade, so we had to watch part of it from the bridge.

TDN & I went to the kiosk to get more FP while ADN hung out with now two sleeping kiddos. We had to wait a while but got pirates for when we returned.

We left for a long break at about 4:00 - later than I had hoped, but it was more crowded than I had hoped.
    Last edited by LibraryTink; 04-21-2016 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Finish
    Staci
    May 2015 TR

So awesome you got to do the first haircut at Harmony Barbershop. Good planning and what a great memory! Sounds like you are having a lot of fun.
    Kim

Hope you are having an amazing time. You are getting me excited for our trip. How sweet of you to take all your nieces/nephew to WDW.

Quote Originally Posted by kmc8826 View Post
    So awesome you got to do the first haircut at Harmony Barbershop. Good planning and what a great memory! Sounds like you are having a lot of fun.
    It really was precious! Check out the picture in our account if you get a chance. We are very much enjoying the extra space of off site - thanks for your tips!
    Staci
    May 2015 TR

Quote Originally Posted by R&RMom View Post
    Hope you are having an amazing time. You are getting me excited for our trip. How sweet of you to take all your nieces/nephew to WDW.
    We are - thanks!! Your trip is right around the corner. It may be sweet of me to take the nieces/nephews, but honestly, I'm such a Disney junkie I might have to start taking solo trips when I run out of relatives to take! ;-)
    Staci
    May 2015 TR

First Night at Magic Kingdom

Hi all! Back to finish this TR up. :) So, I guess live trip reports are just not doable for me - sorry!

So, after the successful, but pretty crowded start to our trip we did go back to MK to finish out the first night. We got back a little after 8:30 and although we had a FP+ for Pirates, we messed around with the app and got two of the FPs switched to Splash because it was DGnephew's absolute favorite of the entire trip. We went through Adventureland and TDN & I got Dole Whips and waited while DN & the little guy tried to go use the Splash FP. We were hanging out in the little walkway from Adventureland to Frontierland near the Shooting Arcade and they came back and she was upset because the CM at the walkway down near Splash had told her she could not get through until after the parade. By then the FP would have been expired. I'm not sure what was going on, but I convinced her to try again and cross the street where we were and take the boardwalk type shortcut to Splash. By now it was probably 9pm and everyone was, of course, waiting for the parade. She made it through and the little guy greatly enjoyed his third time on Splash:

MK_SPLASH_7649582581.jpg

We watched the parade from where we were and DGrandNiece loved it! She waved to every float and I almost felt guilty that her Mother was missing this first Disney Parade for her! :( DN & little guy watched the parade from near Splash when the got out and then we met up at POTC and just rode it standby with a wait of maybe 15 minutes.

When we came out Wishes was happening, so we watched from Adventureland. It really wasn't too bad of a view and we knew we had a FP+ for Wishes on Thursday, so we were good with it. When we messed with the FPs earlier, we ended up with a couple for the Flying Carpets, so adult niece and little guy rode that while TDN & I waited with the now sleeping grandniece. We worked our way over to Fantasyland and rode Little Mermaid and then had a photo taken outside of it:

MK_MERMAIDBRIDGEICONNC_7649642411.jpg

By now it was a little after 11pm and we rode the carousel and then TDN and I met Cinderella & Rapunzel while ADN & the littles waited. They had a FP+ for the princesses on Thursday and TDN and I did not, so it worked out pretty well. TDN had gotten an autograph book earlier in the day and became quickly obsessed with collecting as many autographs as possible! It was pretty adorable, actually. She was adopted and moved here from China right before she turned 9 and she told me while waiting that she had always loved Cinderella, even when she was little in China. Sweet!

MK_PFTHPURPLEB1CHAR_7649650008.jpg

MK_PFTHPURPLEB2CHAR_7649652362.jpg

When we came out, both littles were asleep and we just worked our way very slowly out because we wanted to hear the "Kiss goodnight." We got some great photopass shots on the way:
    MK_MSGAZETT_7649661326.jpg

Next up is late start day and Hollywood Studios. :)
    Staci
    May 2015 TR

Sleep late day & Hollywood Studios - Wednesday, April 6th

We slept in a bit late Wednesday morning and basically hung around for a while. We left the condo at about 11:15 and went to eat lunch at Chick-Fil-A, which turned out to be crazy crowded. Also, the traffic on 192 was the worst we saw because all of the other days we made rope drop. I am so amazed that people head to the parks at 10:30/11:00 when they are not purposefully making a late start. We ate and let the kids play at the playground there for a bit because it is a playground and that is the rule! ;-) We made it to Hollywood Studios at about 12:30 which was actually thirty minutes ahead of my schedule. Because we did a MM share again, we got photopass photos taken at every opportunity:

STUDIO_HBFIVEDM_7649919399.jpg

As you can see, ADN and I were rocking our Target Star Wars shirts today and the grand niece was asleep by the time we got to the park! No worries, at least she was well rested by the time we got to one of the few rides at HS.

Everyone but me and the sleeping baby did Star Tours using a FP+ and then we did Muppet Vision 3D while we were in the area. We actually had to travel through the extended queue at Muppet Vision - a first for me! Because of this delay, we were running late and had to go straight to Toy Story to make it to our FP. Next, we did the Disney Junior show, which everyone seemed to love and luckily we picked up a few of the shiny golden "coins" they drop. We put them to use later in the day.

Next was a FP+ for TOT, which my ADN really didn't want to ride, but I convinced her. She apparently had an unfortunate experience on Freefall at Six Flags years ago and really dislikes falling type rides. Sadly, TOT did not impress her either. They got a rider swap and I realized after we left that I never even used it!

STUDIO_TOWEROFTERRORBRIDE_7650182927.jpg

We were hoping to make it to the 4pm Beauty and the Beast show, but barely missed it, again! I've been to WDW seven times since 2007 and STILL haven't seen BATB. One day....

TDN and I had FP+ for Rock N Roller Coaster, which turned out to be a favorite of hers. That rider swap thing really worked in her favor this trip!

STUDIO_ROCKNRCOASTERRIDE_7650225173.jpg STUDIO_ROCKNRCOASTERRIDE_7650249756.jpg

We had a few more photos taken, of course:

STUDIO_SUNSET_7650199344.jpg

Next, we went to the 5:30 Frozen Musical which I had skipped in 2015 and it was really fun!

Breaking for photo limit...
    Last edited by LibraryTink; 04-22-2016 at 06:10 PM.
    Staci
    May 2015 TR

Hollywood Studios Continued

After the Frozen Musical, we had just a few minutes to meet the Disney Junior characters. We split up and the girls meet Sofia while the little guy and I met Jake:
    JrMeets.jpg

Finally, it was time for what ADN & I had been waiting for all day: Star Wars Launch Bay! We waited the 25-30 minutes to meet Chewie and ADN declared it the best moment of the trip! Have I mentioned we are both big fans??

STUDIO_LBLGHTSDECHAR2_7650403647.jpg

We found the Jawas to trade with and they gave the little guy a pin for one of the shiny gold "coins" from the Disney Junior show! Ironically, neither TDN nor grandnephew had any clue who the Jawas even were, but they still thought it was cool.
    IMG_3694.jpg

Then, they wanted to trade for the grandniece! It was cute!
    IMG_3698.jpg

We went to Backlot Express and got dinner at this point and after I finished eating I went and used the Rider Swap to ride Star Tours. This is the first time for me seeing the new version and it was neat. :) Finally, we wandered over near 50's Prime Time to find a spot to wait for the fireworks. We had one last photo taken:

STUDIO_ECHOLAKE1_7650476228.jpg

TDN and I wandered over to do a bit of shopping while we waited and ADN held us a spot. We really enjoyed the fireworks and it was a painless and relatively uncrowded spot to watch from. The only minor complaints we had: they never turned off the lights on the boat in Echo Lake and although we heard the music fine, the audio clips were really hard to hear from where we were. Maybe it is that way everywhere??

Anyway, we were able to do almost everything we wanted to do in HS in a pretty short day. We chose to skip Fantasmic to have a more laid back wait for the fireworks, but I think we could have easily done both if we had chosen to do so.
    Staci
    May 2015 TR

Following! Too funny- we were there the same time and did the same parks as you- MK on Tuesday and HS on Wednesday :)

You guys were hard core making it to the Kiss Goodnight with littles. Good for you. Sounds like a couple of great days!
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by momof2boys View Post
    Following! Too funny- we were there the same time and did the same parks as you- MK on Tuesday and HS on Wednesday :)
    How funny - you can tell we both follow Josh's crowd calendars!! I found your TR and am planning to follow along!
    Staci
    May 2015 TR

Quote Originally Posted by kmc8826 View Post
    You guys were hard core making it to the Kiss Goodnight with littles. Good for you. Sounds like a couple of great days!
    The only reason we were able to do it with the littles is that they were both asleep and in strollers AND we knew we were sleeping in the next day! It was a great couple of days, thanks!
    Staci
    May 2015 TR

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryTink View Post
    How funny - you can tell we both follow Josh's crowd calendars!! I found your TR and am planning to follow along!
    I am sure a lot will be similar to what you did!

Magic Kingdom - Thursday, April 7th

Be Our Guest Early ADR

ADN and I had made separate reservations for BOG because we were not really sure the littles would eat the breakfast foods and we wanted to get two of those pastry trays just in case. My time was 8am and hers was 8:15 but they let us both in at the same time - I think by the time we got to the tapstiles it was 7:50 or so. The monorail wasn't running (again) so we had to take the ferry and just missed the first one. We still stopped for a few photos on Main street because we wanted some with fewer people in the background. Not sure it really helped all that much.
    MK_MSFIRSTA_7650608209.jpg

Anyway, we still got there fine and since we had preordered got to skip that line. The food from ADN's order arrived really quickly but my order didn't. So, TDN and I were munching on some of the pastries and waiting. I was just about to the point of getting up to ask someone when a CM came over and asked if we were missing some food. He looked at our receipt and radioed someone and it came soon after that. All of this caused a bit of a delay, of course and added to our arrival later than we planned, we ended up with less of an advantage when riding 7DMT. The food: ADN got the Cronut with caramelized bananas and loved it. I got Eggs Florentine and it was pretty good. Much more food than I anticipated, but nothing special. TDN go the quiche and ate most of it, she also reported that it was "fine." ADN had ordered DG Nephew eggs because she thought protein would be good for him, but he wasn't in much of a mood for eating at this point. His baby sister ate some of his eggs, though and a croissant from the pasty trays. We had a ziplock bag and took the pastries that were left for snacks later in the day. Hey, for the near $100, I didn't feel too bad about it! Bottom line on this, I'm glad we tried it, but think it might be a one and done kinda experience for me.

Our plan was to all walk over to 7DMT so we could get a RS and then ADN and DGniece would go see Elsa and Anna. As we were leaving BOG, a CM was standing there saying, "If you are going to 7DMT hurry, because the crowd is coming!" TDN had decided during breakfast she wanted to go meet Elsa & Anna with ADN instead. I don't know if the confusion caused it or both nieces just forgot, but DGnephew and I were leading the way to 7DMT and when we got there I turned around and the others were no where to be found. They had gone straight on to E&A, so we couldn't get a RS. I wasted precious time there texting her and a lot of the RD crowd got in front of us. We did go ahead and ride and the wait was still not too bad - but one ride only and a bit of a wait and no RS. It was the only time the whole trip that I saw the queue and it was fun to see. I just double checked the time stamps on my photos and the nieces were visiting E&A and 9:08 and DG nephew and I were riding 7DMT at 9:11, so I have no business complaining at all! :)

MK_MINETRAIN_7650626008.jpg

This is a cute picture of TDN (her name is Anna ;-) with the other Anna:

PhotoPass_Visiting_Magic_Kingdom_Park_383147806025.jpg

After the ride, we were walking over to find the girls and got these taken:

MK_SWORDSTN_7650633133.jpg MK_SWORDSTN_7650633128.jpg

I really do love how Photopass photographers are everywhere in WDW - especially when you are purchasing Memory Maker!

Turns out the girls were in line to ride the carousel right behind us, so I found them and let DG nephew join them in line and I rounded up both strollers so we'd be ready to go when they got out.

More to come...
    Last edited by LibraryTink; 04-23-2016 at 11:21 AM.
    Staci
    May 2015 TR

MK 4/7 Part 2

Using Rider Swap Wisely

Before this trip I read extensively on the forums about how RS worked and found some cool tricks for using it well. After our early morning BOG experience didn't really end up giving us a huge advantage, it was nice to have this trick up my sleeve. Since I was usually the person who stayed with the baby, my FP+ didn't have to always match the others. I had a FP+ for 7DMT from 9:10 - 10:10 and we let TDN push the baby in the stroller with me to qualify us for the RS, then while I was riding everyone else went on to ride Dumbo. When I finished they were still waiting, so I waited at the exit a few minutes and then was able to take a couple of cute pictures of them while they were riding.

IMG_3735.jpg

My phone says this photo was taken at 10:09 and they were running only one side of Dumbo even though it was a pretty crowded day. After we returned and read Josh's post about the reduced staffing and issues that caused this week to be so bad, I was reading along thinking, "Yes, been there..."

Now, ADN and son went to ride 7DMT using the RS I had just gotten while the girls and I went to meet Minnie & Daisy in the Circus area. TDN choose to go with me, I thought she would want to ride but she was all about the autographs at this point!

We probably waited 30 minutes or so to see the characters, but both girls were happy while waiting. :)

IMG_3740.jpg

I had never met these particular characters before and it was really cute.

MK_SBCSIDESHOWMINNIECHAR_7650715300.jpg MK_SBCSIDESHOWDAISYCHAR_7650704425.jpg

I was reading someone else's TR recently and they were saying you should never wear a v-neck shirt and expect ride photos to turn out well and I can add that a low scoop neck doesn't work well on rides or when carrying a 2 year old around. In the Daisy pics of us I think she actually has a grip on my shirt pulling it down and it is still a mess in the Minnie pictures. Of course, if I was trying to impress anyone I would have on makeup and not have this cap on, so... However, I didn't plan on flashing anyone and probably did at some point this day! Yikes! #TooOldForThat

ADN and son were finished before us, had purchased some items in the circus gift store and were waiting when we got done.

We headed over toward Ariel at this point and the wait was 40 minutes or something like that! We sat down in the shade for a minutes and I messed around with the app and was able to get one person a FP for Ariel right away and another person a FP for 1:30 or so. ADN used the first one with the baby and later in the day TDN used the other one. I honestly don't remember who's FP I switched around, it might have been the extras we had from my son's Non expiration ticket - again, on this busy day, I didn't feel too bad using every trick I could!

MK_GROTTOACHAR_7650752238.jpg

ADN was born in 1990 and Ariel is her favorite, so I think she was much more excited to meet her than the baby! :)

Still more to come...
    Staci
    May 2015 TR

Your pictures are all so great!

I agree about BOG. I am trying it one more time this trip since we are on dining plan and will have enough credits....but seriously wondering if it is worth the stress. Even taking out the cost factor it is a lot of work to get there, get food, wait for food, hurry and get out for a ride. It is supposed to be an easier way to start the day, but in some ways it really is not at all!
    Kim

You are a better woman than I - I could never keep all those FP here for some and there for others all straight! But you seemed to have a great time. How fun that your older DN got into autographs.

And I am your "flashing friend". I feel you!! I think my next trip will be in May 2017, so it will be tank tops...uh oh!!!