Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New MK Ticketed Event according to WDW News Today

It is just me or is Disney announcing everything BUT the one piece of info everyone wants...Rivers of Light info. This event seemed to come out of left field as in no rumors or no discussion about it - it just popped up.

(On a side note: I might be in the minority - if not the only one - but I am intrigued to buy a ticket to this event just to see what it all entails lol...yes I'm crazy..I know...)
    "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world." - Walt Disney
    "Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role." - Walt Disney (Take that you WDWers... )

You're not alone Cathy! When it went "live" this morning I tried to buy it. #FAIL. They said to call back tomorrow.

I mean, I'm paying $85 to run through Epcot for 35 minutes, with about half of that just being the parking lot... so....
    ~Trisha~
    Luxury Family Vacation Planner
    https://www.facebook.com/TrishaWrightTravelAgency

Four photos on the event website and three show couples in their 20's. Looks like they are targeting post-college / pre-kids - likely not coming to Orlando for a Disney vacation but might be nearby, nostalgic, and more interested if they aren't dealing with full vacation planning.

I usually travel on a "girls trip" with my BFF once a year to WDW. We tend to do some crazy spending - we do a spa day at the GF or dinner at V&A, we even did the Villain Soiree two years ago - we both agree, we would NEVER pay $149 for 3 hours at MK, no matter how empty the park is (that's why we rope drop!).
    ~Ana~

Follow me on Twitter @abfallas

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. " ~ Mark Twain

When I'm spending my money, I try to get as much value as possible. We are vacationing at WDW from April 30th to May 7th. On May 1st MK is open until 12:00 am (not extra magic hours, just normal park hours). On May 5th it's open until 10 pm, and the After Hour event is now scheduled from 10 pm - 1 am. I realize there may be less people, but why would I pay $600 for our family of 4 to stay until 1 am, when we can stay until midnight a few days before with no additional cost. This makes no sense. And pretty much if you Rope Drop you don't have to wait long on Recommended days if you follow Josh's plan. So there's that.
    We were planning on doing our 2nd MK day on May 5th and staying for Wishes, and now I'm wondering if it will still be a recommended day with this new event.

Quote Originally Posted by R&RMom View Post
    When I'm spending my money, I try to get as much value as possible. We are vacationing at WDW from April 30th to May 7th. On May 1st MK is open until 12:00 am (not extra magic hours, just normal park hours). On May 5th it's open until 10 pm, and the After Hour event is now scheduled from 10 pm - 1 am. I realize there may be less people, but why would I pay $600 for our family of 4 to stay until 1 am, when we can stay until midnight a few days before with no additional cost. This makes no sense. And pretty much if you Rope Drop you don't have to wait long on Recommended days if you follow Josh's plan. So there's that.
    We were planning on doing our 2nd MK day on May 5th and staying for Wishes, and now I'm wondering if it will still be a recommended day with this new event.

I have the same problem. Same dates as you. I am seriously thinking about trying to swap AK and MK days for that week and do MK on Sunday and AK on Thursday. IF I can swap my Fastpasses around. Geesh!

Could these events be designed for afterprom/graduation get togethers for high schoolers? Here in ohio Cedar Point is filled with groups of teens during May. Prom on friday, then Cedar Point on Saturday. If so, I would stay far far away.

I'm not going to WDW when these events are happening (unless they are successful and extended to July) but I really think it is unlikely they will have a major impact on crowds from 7-10 pm. I wouldn't change my ADRs, FP, etc just because of this event. It is (rumored to be) WAY fewer people than extra magic hours so the "avoid a park with extra magic hours" rule isn't going to apply. Unless Josh were to change the day to "not recommended " I wouldn't change plans. There are way more tickets sold for the Halloween and Christmas parties than the rumors are for this event and it really doesn't seem to cause major crowd issues from 4-7 pm when day guests and party guests overlap. Party days are always recommended at MK. The one difference is evening entertainment on these nights that you don't have during normal operating hours on party days but I still think it is highly unlikely to have a major impact there either.

Yeah, I feel like this is not designed for a family planning a week's vacation. The incremental cost of simply adding another park day is so small, that it's clearly not targeted to compete with that. I second the idea of younger, childless adults looking to have a fun night out, or even night-owl empty nesters. If you feel like it's not aimed toward you (and it's definitely not aimed toward me!), then it's probably not aimed toward you. Time will tell if the intended audience will buy in or not.

I don't necessarily think its a bad idea, I am sure there is a market it for it, but it does seem extremely overpriced. $150 a person for this event, when the Halloween party last year was less than half that. Halloween party you could gain access from 4-12, this is 6-2, so same time limit. With the Halloween party you got special characters, parade and fireworks, plus all you can eat candy, which is a favorite of my daughters. With this you get regular MSEP and Wishes. I think they are way out of line on the pricing, and I hope it doesn't indicate that the other party pricing is about to jump like that.
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Southernbelle20 View Post
    I have the same problem. Same dates as you. I am seriously thinking about trying to swap AK and MK days for that week and do MK on Sunday and AK on Thursday. IF I can swap my Fastpasses around. Geesh!
    I don't think I'll change anything. I have my FP+s set. And we are coming in the afternoon on 5/5, will do a few FP+, having dinner at the Plaza and then staying for nighttime entertainment. Will probably intersperse Peoplemover, and other "anytime attractions". It is our 2nd MK day, so we will just try and get more done on our 1st day (5/1). We also have a few hours on 5/7 before we catch our flight. I'm still trying to figure out AK since they haven't updated park hours for ROL. At this point, I'm not going to overthink the MK situation. Good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    I'm not going to WDW when these events are happening (unless they are successful and extended to July) but I really think it is unlikely they will have a major impact on crowds from 7-10 pm. I wouldn't change my ADRs, FP, etc just because of this event. It is (rumored to be) WAY fewer people than extra magic hours so the "avoid a park with extra magic hours" rule isn't going to apply. Unless Josh were to change the day to "not recommended " I wouldn't change plans. There are way more tickets sold for the Halloween and Christmas parties than the rumors are for this event and it really doesn't seem to cause major crowd issues from 4-7 pm when day guests and party guests overlap. Party days are always recommended at MK. The one difference is evening entertainment on these nights that you don't have during normal operating hours on party days but I still think it is highly unlikely to have a major impact there either.
    Thanks for the reassurance Anne. I can buy into your reasoning

I can't see myself purchasing this either way... but it makes a big difference how many people are allowed into this event if it would be worth it. If the 3000 rumor is true it might be really neat... but if they allow many more (or unlimited tickets) to be sold and people actually buy it then it wouldn't be worth it at all. Just think if this is a flop and only a couple hundred people buy it, how cool would that be to have the park to yourself.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR; Aug '20 AKV

Quote Originally Posted by R&RMom View Post
    I don't think I'll change anything. I have my FP+s set. And we are coming in the afternoon on 5/5, will do a few FP+, having dinner at the Plaza and then staying for nighttime entertainment. Will probably intersperse Peoplemover, and other "anytime attractions". It is our 2nd MK day, so we will just try and get more done on our 1st day (5/1). We also have a few hours on 5/7 before we catch our flight. I'm still trying to figure out AK since they haven't updated park hours for ROL. At this point, I'm not going to overthink the MK situation. Good luck to you!
    I am totally overthinking our nights even with FP+ already made. If you can avoid overthinking it you are better than I am. If they would just release the schedules then we would start to get an idea...maybe MK will be pretty empty anyway as everyone will be at AK at night!
    Kim

I wonder how many people typically stay for evening EMHs? Maybe they are testing doing away with those in favor of these paid after hours events. Although if that were to happen I'm sure there would be uproar from many people who stay onsite and take advantage of the EMH benefit for free (or at least included in the price of your room).

I wouldn't be surprised if lots of people buy these tickets. Anyone who isn't a "planner" probably perceives a benefit to the event. Especially those who stay offsite and would otherwise not get to experience EMHs. But I would be surprised if it was a success and people were happy enough after attending to warrant a continuation of these types of events. Maybe there are more people with money to burn than I realize. If it's truly only 3000 people even I would be intrigued but when it got right down to it, shelling out another $150 per person wouldn't be worth it. Again, I realize I'm not the intended target, I just can't figure out who is.

Quote Originally Posted by cdmurphy727 View Post

Again, I realize I'm not the intended target, I just can't figure out who is.
    People who pay $700 per night for a standard room at Grand Floridian or who stay in a Poly bungalow at rack rate?

Good point about number of people at EMH. By the last hour it sure doesn't seem like there are many people left.

Maybe someone in accounting calculated it would take X tickets at $150 each to make EMH pay for themselves and this is an experiment to see if they can get people to pay for EMH.

I also am surprised they haven't added anything special to this. Ice cream novelties and bottled drinks??? How about some rare character greets? Or at least a gourmet character cupcake and a sparkling wine toast (it worked for the fireworks party, right)???

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Who are we kidding about expenses? The revenue from the parking fees at MK are enough to cover overhead (cost to run the park) every day, so any dollar spent there (tickets, food, mdse., etc.) is profit. EMH already paid for itself.

You better believe $50/hour covers the cost of ice cream and bottled water.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

We're also in the population this offer isn't targeting/doesn't appeal to, but I am interested to see what it ends up looking like (really <3000 tix?) and how well attended it is in terms of it continuing on or just being a seasonal offer. I don't think we'd let it impact our plans as it seems this is geared to the penultimate non-planner who isn't concerned with cost/value. Those are the same peeps arriving at noon, wondering why the wait is 160 minutes at TSMM and they make our touring easy. If the offer becomes larger scale, that might increase the relative ease/value of RDing MK the day of/the morning after this event.

okay I am a night owl so being in the parks this late with so few people sounds great, but not for $150. I understand the 3,000 tickets is a rumor and I also read 1,000 tickets. 1,000 tickets sounds like OMG What? Only 1,000 other people in the Magic Kingdom? But look around you next RD and figure out how close to 1,000 people you are. Now follow those 1,000 people to 7DMT because that's where you're all going to be all night. Who's going to want to ride IASW, even with the personalized good bye?

How many nights are scheduled right now? That's a quick $2M and everything can go back to normal :)

I had a hard time figuring out who this is targeting too - it has to be the teen/college/no kids/local and above all else, available disposable income.

Regarding the fact that they can enter at 7 - most won't even know that - much like the parties, it took a while for anyone to catch on to that and I still don't think everyone arrives at 4 - even if they're well intentioned - they don't leave time to get there by 4. People paying for this aren't looking for any value out of it - they're doing it for the newness, for the 'empty park'-ness and bragging rights. So they're not concerned with getting their money's worth by entering at 7.

Exception to the rule would be folks with literally one day and they're in a business meeting all day before hand. Hey maybe that is the niche!
    CR Jan 18-23 2018 YC Jan 23-28

Quote Originally Posted by TiggerGirl View Post
    Exception to the rule would be folks with literally one day and they're in a business meeting all day before hand. Hey maybe that is the niche!
    They already sell convention tickets at a discounted price to those who are in meetings all day and can only go into the park in the evening. I don't see many paying $150 extra just for a few extra hours, when they can get something like 3-close for half that.

I think young people would be the market, young 20 something DINKs, teenagers who beg their parents to let them stay late, etc. I can totally see my 16 year old niece begging to stay late in the park, especially if that meant she didn't have to get up early for RD.
    Cindy

okay I am a night owl so being in the parks this late with so few people sounds great, but not for $150. I understand the 3,000 tickets is a rumor and I also read 1,000 tickets. 1,000 tickets sounds like OMG What? Only 1,000 other people in the Magic Kingdom? But look around you next RD and figure out how close to 1,000 people you are. Now follow those 1,000 people to 7DMT because that's where you're all going to be all night. Who's going to want to ride IASW, even with the personalized good bye?
    Why do you assume all 1,000 people are going to 7DMT? Besides, it doesn't take that long to get 1,000 people through.

The problem with RD crowds isn't the people at the rope at 9AM; it's the hordes that keep coming in behind them.

Stupid Judy.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Why do you assume all 1,000 people are going to 7DMT? Besides, it doesn't take that long to get 1,000 people through.

The problem with RD crowds isn't the people at the rope at 9AM; it's the hordes that keep coming in behind them.
    because it's the new thing that's hard to get FP+ for and why else would you pay a premium to attend with fewer people. I don't mean that everyone will literally be on 7DMT all night - though I do suppose that many would ride until told to get off if there wasn't anyone waiting for their seat. 1,000 people probably takes close to an hour doesn't it?
    CR Jan 18-23 2018 YC Jan 23-28

because it's the new thing that's hard to get FP+ for and why else would you pay a premium to attend with fewer people. I don't mean that everyone will literally be on 7DMT all night - though I do suppose that many would ride until told to get off if there wasn't anyone waiting for their seat. 1,000 people probably takes close to an hour doesn't it?
    But that's what you wrote. Literally!

Stupid Judy.

he's right
    The revenue from the parking fees at MK are enough to cover overhead (cost to run the park) every day
    I call shenanigans.

One pure-play operator (Cedar Fair) generates revenue of about $51/guest, but EBITDA (earnings before interest, depreciation, and amortization, a good approximation of free cash flow) of only about $19/guest. So, operating overhead is about $32 per guest. Assuming Disney has the same costs, and assuming an average number of guests per car at 2, they need another $20 or so per person to break even after parking. And, I'll bet Disney's costs per guest are higher.

It's hard to do the same calculation for Disney, because Parks & Resorts also includes Disney Cruise Line, so I'm not sure how to break them out of the annual report numbers.
    Cedar Fair annual report here: http://s1.q4cdn.com/010679293/files/...gs-Release.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    I call shenanigans.

One pure-play operator (Cedar Fair) generates revenue of about $51/guest, but EBITDA (earnings before interest, depreciation, and amortization, a good approximation of free cash flow) of only about $19/guest. So, operating overhead is about $32 per guest. Assuming Disney has the same costs, and assuming an average number of guests per car at 2, they need another $20 or so per person to break even after parking. And, I'll bet Disney's costs per guest are higher.

It's hard to do the same calculation for Disney, because Parks & Resorts also includes Disney Cruise Line, so I'm not sure how to break them out of the annual report numbers.
    Cedar Fair annual report here: http://s1.q4cdn.com/010679293/files/...gs-Release.pdf
    I don't have concrete numbers, but the president of Buena Vista Construction, a friend of mine, told me this. Maybe he just meant that the revenue pays the CMs' wages/salaries? I'll see if I can get some clarification.

Stupid Judy.