Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New MK Ticketed Event according to WDW News Today

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    I call shenanigans.

One pure-play operator (Cedar Fair) generates revenue of about $51/guest, but EBITDA (earnings before interest, depreciation, and amortization, a good approximation of free cash flow) of only about $19/guest. So, operating overhead is about $32 per guest. Assuming Disney has the same costs, and assuming an average number of guests per car at 2, they need another $20 or so per person to break even after parking. And, I'll bet Disney's costs per guest are higher.

It's hard to do the same calculation for Disney, because Parks & Resorts also includes Disney Cruise Line, so I'm not sure how to break them out of the annual report numbers.
    Cedar Fair annual report here: http://s1.q4cdn.com/010679293/files/...gs-Release.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I don't have concrete numbers, but the president of Buena Vista Construction, a friend of mine, told me this. Maybe he just meant that the revenue pays the CMs' wages/salaries? I'll see if I can get some clarification.
    OK, I texted my friend, and he wrote back:

All Magic Kingdom parking fees daily cover all the wages of all cast members who work at Magic Kingdom every day.

So yeah, I was a bit off! But still, covering all wages just from parking fees is nothing to sneeze at.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

But that's what you wrote. Literally!
    well I didn't mean it
    CR Jan 18-23 2018 YC Jan 23-28

he's right
    All Magic Kingdom parking fees daily cover all the wages of all cast members who work at Magic Kingdom every day.
    Let's see what that means, using a few assumptions.

(Edited: I got the math wrong the first time.)

Suppose 80% of all MK attendees arrive by car (and pay). Average daily attendance is a bit more than 54,000, round up to 55,000. So, 80% of that is 44,000. Suppose an average of 2 guests per car (probably higher, but we'll err on the side of caution) so 22,000 parking fees per day, at $20 per is $440,000. Figure average CM hourly pay (loaded) is $10 (probably low, but again we'll err on the side of caution), so that pays for 44,000 hours of work. Figure average shift length is six hours/day (not everyone is full time) and that gives you north of 7,300 employees every day.

Plausible, I guess.

Not to add to this conversation as I don't have exact figures but a friend of mine about 4 years ago said that "on any given day" Disneyland makes all its money back by 11am and anything sold after that is pure profit for the company. I do know that Coke gives all of its product to Disney for free so there is no competition from Pepsi. Whatever Disney sells Coke products for...is pure profit for them...
    "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world." - Walt Disney
    "Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role." - Walt Disney (Take that you WDWers... )

Quote Originally Posted by kmc8826 View Post
    I am totally overthinking our nights even with FP+ already made. If you can avoid overthinking it you are better than I am. If they would just release the schedules then we would start to get an idea...maybe MK will be pretty empty anyway as everyone will be at AK at night!
    I hear you Kim. I just don't want to start from scratch with 8 days of planning already done, ADRs made, FP+ made. I'm sure we will have many magically experiences, and if it's crowded that one night more than it would "normally" be on a recommended day, then oh well! I'm too tired to figure it out at this point. My bigger unknown is ROL.

he's right
    Another way to get at operating costs: Parks & Resorts in FY14 had $9.1B in opex. In CY14, Disney's global theme park attendance was (rounding up) 135M. Assume half of opex is the parks, and half is "other" (hotels, cruise ships, dvc, etc.). That means each guest incurs operating expenses of $33.70. That's awfully close to Cedar Fair's $32. So, again, plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyB View Post
    Not to add to this conversation as I don't have exact figures but a friend of mine about 4 years ago said that "on any given day" Disneyland makes all its money back by 11am and anything sold after that is pure profit for the company. I do know that Coke gives all of its product to Disney for free so there is no competition from Pepsi. Whatever Disney sells Coke products for...is pure profit for them...
    can that be true? that's Coke makes NO money just so Pepsi can't make money???

Another way to get at operating costs: Parks & Resorts in FY14 had $9.1B in opex. In CY14, Disney's global theme park attendance was (rounding up) 135M. Assume half of opex is the parks, and half is "other" (hotels, cruise ships, dvc, etc.). That means each guest incurs operating expenses of $33.70. That's awfully close to Cedar Fair's $32. So, again, plausible.
    Let's see what that means, using a few assumptions.

(Edited: I got the math wrong the first time.)

Suppose 80% of all MK attendees arrive by car (and pay). Average daily attendance is a bit more than 54,000, round up to 55,000. So, 80% of that is 44,000. Suppose an average of 2 guests per car (probably higher, but we'll err on the side of caution) so 22,000 parking fees per day, at $20 per is $440,000. Figure average CM hourly pay (loaded) is $10 (probably low, but again we'll err on the side of caution), so that pays for 44,000 hours of work. Figure average shift length is six hours/day (not everyone is full time) and that gives you north of 7,300 employees every day.

Plausible, I guess.
    Well, that's what he told me. He's a numbers guy (he can bid a job pretty much in his head), and his company is responsible for almost all the construction you see around The World (DS, parking decks, Buena Vista Drive road work, Castle cranes, holiday decorating at parks and hotels, Pandoraverse, RoL construction, all DHS construction, CG and FF restaurant rehabs, etc.), so I trust him when he speaks, and he's a great source of info, as well as numbers.

Stupid Judy.

Wow, no wonder parking fees are so high.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyB View Post
    I do know that Coke gives all of its product to Disney for free so there is no competition from Pepsi.
    What!?!?! That's a bunch of $$$$$ for Disney.
    Quote Originally Posted by jillyb View Post
    you a damn lie!!!!
    Uh, I wasn't exactly lying: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/m...3#post-7136764

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    The free Coke thing is an urban legend. I've never seen any evidence that it's true.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

he's right
    Well, that's what he told me.
    You misunderstand. I think the CM wages assertion could well be true. It doesn't seem as though MK needs qualitatively more than 7K front-line daily staff to do what it does. But, the total operating expenses are significantly more than labor (which I was surprised to see).

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rhcoaster View Post
    LOL...sorry...I wasn't actually calling you a liar. There's a local morning radio show and a girl on the show that will say "you a damn lie!" when the guys are telling her stuff that's far fetched or they're telling her something she finds hard to believe. It's just more of an expression of disbelief.
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
    November 2010 @ Pop Century
    August 2016 @ Pop Century
    August 2017 @ DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando at Seaworld
    May 2019 @ All-Stars Movies
    August 2019 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

You misunderstand. I think the CM wages assertion could well be true. It doesn't seem as though MK needs qualitatively more than 7K front-line daily staff to do what it does. But, the total operating expenses are significantly more than labor (which I was surprised to see).
    Sure; it'd be interesting to see a breakdown of operating expenses.

Stupid Judy.

This after hours event seems to be a way to capitalize on the DVC after hours party success. Perhaps they got such good reviews from the 2 1/2 hour parties, they could not resist offering it for tons of cash to the paying public.

Following that logic, in September there are DVC special hours parties at Animal Kingdom, so an expensive paid event may follow soon after!

but at a hard ticket party event you get something special you cannot get during normal park hours

that's the difference

at least in my mind

there's no special characters, not even a pin!

Quote Originally Posted by TiggerGirl View Post
    but at a hard ticket party event you get something special you cannot get during normal park hours

that's the difference

at least in my mind

there's no special characters, not even a pin!
    Au contraire; there will be, depending on which rumor you believe, 1,000 or 3,000 special characters.

Stupid Judy.

I would only need to eat 30 mickey bars a night or 10 a hour to make this pan out.. Sounds doable I'm in.
    Marti Mac

Quote Originally Posted by MMDisney View Post
    I would only need to eat 30 mickey bars a night or 10 a hour to make this pan out.. Sounds doable I'm in.
    Well, when you put it that way....

Stupid Judy.

I wonder what rides will remain open. If it is just a handful like the morning hour then this is really not worth it, but if it is the majority of the park, still not worth it but more understandable.
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by cboyer View Post
    I wonder what rides will remain open. If it is just a handful like the morning hour then this is really not worth it, but if it is the majority of the park, still not worth it but more understandable.
    I imagine it'd be the same ones that are open during the holiday parties. #notikiroom

Stupid Judy.

I think this is such crap. From reading Josh's blog and other TR, its clear that you can cover a lot of ground on any park day if you tour correctly. I can't imagine this being financially worth it when you can do so much with a normal park ticket.

I also will not be eating my weight in mickey bars.
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

I have read elsewhere that people think Disney actually reduced the normal park hours on those days in April and May to then add this new event. But, best I can tell the hours didn't change. Josh- Were there April or May reductions in hours? I didn't see anything posted for May, and April looked like a few actually were extended: http://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/apr...ule-changes-2/
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR; Aug '20 AKV

Okay, so here's my take on the two extra hours events. It seems to me like (in addition to making a buck) Disney is trying to move the "crowds" with these events. If they can get someone arriving on Thursday for a long weekend to crank out MK after hours, then maybe that person will go to Epcot or HS on Saturday, making a little extra breathing room on MK's busiest day. Similarly, if they can get someone to tackle the three highest demand attractions before the crowds arrive, that should reduce the demand later in the day.

I wonder if the nighttime event will continue once Epcot has two new headliners. Disney won't need to try to divert guests that way anymore. The crowds will flock on their own.
    Kathleen
    2011, 2012, 2013, 2017, 2018 - Polynesian/PVB
    2015, 2016 - Grand Floridian/VGF
    2014, 2017 - Wonder in Alaska; Dream to Bahamas