Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Yay or Nay?

Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Yay or Nay?

For our next trip I'm considering staying off site and I'm wondering if anyone has any experiences staying at Bonnet Creek. Did you like it, what building is good to request, any recommendations of who I should book with?

Thanks

I'll give it a definite yay! ��. I used vacation strategy for one trip and the 2nd time I used 5 star resorts plus. I would reccomemd both companies. I have also used vacation strategy for a trip to Sedona there prices are so good. We stayed in buildings one and 6. We enjoyed both there are pros to all the buildings. Last I herd there were varried reports if you were able to put in a request.
    Marti Mac

Lots of good responses to similar questions in the "Random WBC Questions" thread just a few threads down the page.

Go through an owner for best deals. Look on tugbbs.com if you are willing to get last minute deals.

he's right
    The resort is quite compact---there is a walkway around the central lake that takes maybe 12-15 minutes to cover the entire loop, so there is not much reason to request a particular building.

We've been here twice since becoming timeshare owners---once for a summer water-parks/DisneyQuest only trip, and once for a trip over Christmas. Both stays were in the standard 2BR units, and both were great. The resort is well-kept, with plenty of amenities on site.

Comparing Bonnet Creek to DVC resorts, I've stayed at OKW, VWL, BCV, BWV, and BLT. We thought our Bonnet stays were very comparable in terms of overall vacation enjoyment to our OKW stays. There were some things we liked about OKW more, and some things we liked about Bonnet more. Bonnet's units are generally much more functional and better furnished than DVC units (with the possible exception of BLT.) The pools at Bonnet are better than those at pretty much any Disney resort, including Stormalong Bay. We liked OKW's more laid back vibe a bit more, but prefer Bonnet's location.

The other DVC resorts have location advantages, and I'm a sucker for VWL's vibe, so all things being equal I might prefer them. But, I don't like the unit layouts at VWL, BCV, and BWV at all. They devote too much space to the second bedroom and too little to the living room, even in the dedicated units where the 2nd BR doesn't need to function as a standalone studio. SSR suffers from this problem as well.

The bottom line: my DVC stays have all been using timeshare exchange, and the total cost to me is very affordable, so if I can arrange a suitable one, I usually take it. If I had to rent from owners and pay market rates, I'd only stay at Bonnet and never look back.

I know you are also looking at Bonnet vs. Windsor Hills. WH is like staying in your very nice uncle's pool home/townhouse that just happens to be a stone's throw from WDW property. It's a quiet residential community with tons of privacy, very relaxing. Bonnet is more of a resort---more resort-style amenities (better pools, mini-golf, etc.) but also a bit higher-energy. Both are great options, it's just a question of what sort of environment you want. When our kids were little, we preferred WH for the privacy and easy access to a pool just outside the living room. Now that they are older, we find we enjoy the resort-style vacation at Bonnet more; we also would prefer Bonnet for an adult-only trip.
    Last edited by bnoble; 01-15-2016 at 04:05 PM.

Thanks everyone for all of the feedback. I'm considering WBC and OKW, and maybe a mod if free dining is offered when we go. This is the first trip I'm panning at more than 5 months out and I keep second guessing what I want to do. The last 2 trips it was just DS and I. Low cost and onsite were priorities, so we stayed at Value resorts and it was fine for 2 people. This trip we will have 2 adults, a teenager and a 7 yr old so we will definitely need more space. We will already have a rental car so I don't see that as an extra expense of staying offsite this trip, if that is what we decide to do.

ETA: I think the location of WBC can't be beat and I do like more of a resort feel, so it's at the top of my list right now.

I looked at WBC and WH for our upcoming trip. I got a price for WBC from Vacation Strategy of $587 for 6 nights (May 1-7) all-in. That is hard to beat, I tell you! We got a price of $1,005 for a WH townhouse. I tried to sway my crew to WBC just for the sheer sake of dollars saved and what we could do with that extra money. But the kids wanted the "townhouse with the pool". I was shocked. Plus my DD6 hates elevators, and won't get in one. Not that we couldn't have requested a ground floor, and probably gotten it or a walkable floor at WBC. I would like to try it some day. But for now we went with WH. Like Brian said, I think when they are a few years older, WBC will be a good fit. The other big plus is the convenient central location of WBC.

All that to say, that it is so cheap to stay at WBC. I literally asked the Rep why it was so cheap and he explained something about Presidential level, blah, blah, blah...all timeshare talk. Whatever, as long as it is for real. No add ons, no resort fees, no parking fees. But you do have to drive or pay $8/pp for a shuttle (which I would never take).

We stayed at Bonnet Creek this past January and enjoyed it tremendously. My husband and I took our 3 year old grandson, A. I was nervous about the balcony but I don't think he noticed it. I'm thinking about booking another trip in Dec. and will definitely book Bonnet Creek and request a ground floor room. Instead of 6 nights though, I think we'll book 4 and then move to AKL Savanna view, for the last couple of nights so A can see the animals.
    We were DVC members until last year. The love of DVC wore off, lol. Miss the AP discounts but then the Bonnet Creek resort is so much nicer than any at WDW. The room furnishings, layout, and size are definitely a step up from DVC.

Quote Originally Posted by jujube View Post
    We stayed at Bonnet Creek this past January and enjoyed it tremendously. My husband and I took our 3 year old grandson, A. I was nervous about the balcony but I don't think he noticed it. I'm thinking about booking another trip in Dec. and will definitely book Bonnet Creek and request a ground floor room. Instead of 6 nights though, I think we'll book 4 and then move to AKL Savanna view, for the last couple of nights so A can see the animals.
    We were DVC members until last year. The love of DVC wore off, lol. Miss the AP discounts but then the Bonnet Creek resort is so much nicer than any at WDW. The room furnishings, layout, and size are definitely a step up from DVC.
    Want to agree with just about everything here. DH and I did a two week trip a couple of years ago - one at WBC and one at AKL. While not much can compare to having a giraffe outside of your window, I agree that the furnishings, layout, and size are definitely a step up from DVC.

We didn't trust the transportation at WBC though, so we rented a car and drove to the parks, which wasn't a big deal to us, especially with the resort actually being on WDW property. The driving at WDW is so easy.
    - Erin

WDW - '96, '97, '00, 12/03, 8/08 (ASMu / WL), 1/10 - Graduation Celebration (POFQ), 1/11 - Dad's 60th (Pop), 8/13 (POFQ), 11/13 (ASMu), 5/14 - Solo Trip (off-site), 9/14 - Got Engaged! (WBC / AKL), 8/15 (POFQ), 10/15 (offsite) - Solo Osborne Trip, 8/17 (POFQ)

Trip Report from 5/14
    Engagement Story and Pictures
    Trip Report from 8/17

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Another Yay.

I stayed there in November of 2016 for six nights while in town on business. Except for the "Disney vibe," I think WBC beats DVC in every category. I booked a 1BR "Presidential" (top floors of tower 6), and to call this unit palatial would be an understatement. 12' ceilings (which made the already large unit feel gargantuan), quality appointments, large fully-stocked kitchen with full-size appliances, huge bathroom(s) (there's a second sink in the power room, which is attached to the Master bath), and enormous living/dining room and balcony. I had a spectacular view of DS. I think it was 1,100 square feet? Convenient free parking. And I paid $118/night, including tax. No resort or parking fees.

Frankly, I don't know if I'd ever stay anywhere else. Except The Four Seasons!
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

he's right
    Quote Originally Posted by jujube View Post
    Bonnet Creek resort is so much nicer than any at WDW. The room furnishings, layout, and size are definitely a step up from DVC.
    This is absolutely true. The Presidential units are fantastic, as George mentions, but even the Deluxe units are more functional. As my favorite example of this, none of the DVC 2BR units have a table that seats more than four people for a unit that sleeps eight. Bonnet's dining table seats six comfortably. The living areas of the 2nd generation resorts (SSR, BWV, BCV, VWL) are too small in the 1BR configuration, and that same space has to hold up in the 2BR version.

These days, we're still able to get DVC 1BR exchanges (mostly in SSR, OKW, and AKV) via our other timeshares for a price comparable to what it would cost me to book at Bonnet. But, if that ability goes away---or, when we need a larger unit---I'm more than happy to stay at WBC for my future trips.

This was the LR/DR of the Presidential. The DR table has eight large chairs. It's a brochure pic, but it looks exactly the same as mine did, mot even one of those "always looks better in the promotional materials" things.

$118/night. Total.

Stupid Judy.

The trip with our Niece fell through, she moved back home and has a new job. We have a trip booked for August to celebrate my dad's 60th Birthday. He wants to stay onsite so we don't have to worry above driving back and forth to the airport, have drinks with dinner and not have to drive back to the resort, etc. We are doing a split stay between WL and a moderate (which I can't seem to pick, still leaning towards CSR). In all honesty this may be our last onsite trip to WDW. Both Bonnet Creek and Windsor Hills offer so much more space, especially if for an extended trip. Friends of mine are staying at WBC for the second time this May and loved it so much they didn't even consider staying somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    $118/night. Total.
    You went during a slowish time, but still, that must have been through one of those secondary market/points re-sellers, or whatever they're called for WBC, right? Can you say which one you used? Thanks.

he's right
    one of those secondary market/points re-sellers, or whatever they're called for WBC, right?
    That's the right way to go to Bonnet if you are not a Wyndham owner. I am, so I always book on points or exchange back in via RCI arbitrage. But, the DISBoards Bonnet Creek superthread has links to several with good repuations:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/th...art-4.3366139/

Quote Originally Posted by Alcachofa View Post
    You went during a slowish time, but still, that must have been through one of those secondary market/points re-sellers, or whatever they're called for WBC, right? Can you say which one you used? Thanks.
    Sure. I used Vacation Stragegy. And I'm already booked again for my next trip, in early-December. $100 deposit, full/final payment/cancellation 30 days prior to check-in.

Stupid Judy.

he's right
    You know, I'm sitting here in my SSR 1BR that I grumble about (no ice maker? holy cow the living room is small! geez the buses are slow, let's just drive...) and I'm wondering why I didn't keep the 2BR I had on spec at Bonnet for this trip before the exchange came through.

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    You know, I'm sitting here in my SSR 1BR that I grumble about (no ice maker? holy cow the living room is small! geez the buses are slow, let's just drive...) and I'm wondering why I didn't keep the 2BR I had on spec at Bonnet for this trip before the exchange came through.
    But there are Hidden Mickeys on the bedspread! (Or there used to be, when they had bedspreads.)

I'm being sarcastic, of course. I love Disney Resorts as much as the next guy, but man, the cost differential has really come into focus for me. At WBC I'm closer to two parks than most Disney Resorts, and a hop, skip, and a jump to DS which, face it, has the best dining on property. I drive to three of four parks regularly anyway, so transportation isn't an issue for me. On MK days I'll park at the resort where I want to end up at and bus/boat/monorail over (WL is particularly quick/convenient with its non-shared bus).

Stupid Judy.

he's right
    Yeah, for me the cost is a lot closer---I'm spending only a little more on this unit as I would at Bonnet, but that's because I have the ability to play arbitrage with RCI. Total cost for this trip is less than just annual dues on the equivalent points, let lone the purchase cost. If I were paying anything close to market rates (owning resale, renting from an owner, etc.) I'd rarely if ever stay in a DVC unit again. And, after the 50 minute ordeal to get to MK on Monday, I'm driving to all four parks unless I have an open-jaw trip planned. For example, we have a sleep-in day today, and might do Epcot late afternoon for Plants & Food & Wine, and then directly to MK for evening EMH. That's probably a Disney transport situation, if only because I can have a second glass of wine before hitting the monorail.

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    Yeah, for me the cost is a lot closer---I'm spending only a little more on this unit as I would at Bonnet, but that's because I have the ability to play arbitrage with RCI. Total cost for this trip is less than just annual dues on the equivalent points, let lone the purchase cost. If I were paying anything close to market rates (owning resale, renting from an owner, etc.) I'd rarely if ever stay in a DVC unit again. And, after the 50 minute ordeal to get to MK on Monday, I'm driving to all four parks unless I have an open-jaw trip planned. For example, we have a sleep-in day today, and might do Epcot late afternoon for Plants & Food & Wine, and then directly to MK for evening EMH. That's probably a Disney transport situation, if only because I can have a second glass of wine before hitting the monorail.
    Makes sense.

We end up renting out enough of our points to cover dues and then some; we've even funded two separate weeks at the Four Seasons with the revenue from renting our points. We sacrificed some space (even though their standard rooms are preternaturally laid out), but man, that place is swanky. Even if I never left their adult pool all week I could have a remarkable vacation.

Stupid Judy.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    And I paid $118/night, including tax. No resort or parking fees.
    How far out did you book that? I am looking at the week-end before Thanksgiving for this year and the lowest price I can find is about $171 (before taxes and non-refundable). Should I wait for better deals to come along?
    Tom

Aug/Sep 2004 (POP); Aug 2009 (POP); Aug/Sep 2012 (POR/AoA); Nov 2013 (ASMu); Jun 2015 (POP); Jan 2016 (offsite/ASSp); Nov 2017 (ASMu); Sep 2018 (ASMo/POP); Jun/Jul 2019 (POP)

he's right
    Could be a weekend vs. weekday thing. The points are higher on the weekends. But, I would not put off booking WBC these days. Short-term availability is not what it used to be at this resort, and several of the points managers/mega-renters have been targeting this resort for revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by tlh119 View Post
    How far out did you book that? I am looking at the week-end before Thanksgiving for this year and the lowest price I can find is about $171 (before taxes and non-refundable). Should I wait for better deals to come along?
    That's a pretty busy time. I'd call a couple different booking agencies and see what they quote and what their cancellation policies are.

Stupid Judy.

he's right
    That's a good point; that weekend leading into Thanksgiving is in high demand by people staying the full Thanksgiving week. The points managers may well be charging a premium for that period---they don't have to match the point chart structure if demand justifies higher prices.

We have the week of Thanksgiving reserved. I looked back through my emails and found that we were able to finalize the reservation on January 24th. I had been on a wait list until reservations opened, so that makes me think the earliest that you can reserve is about 10 months out. I think I remember them saying that reservations weren't open yet when I called before Christmas. We booked a 1 bdrm Deluxe through Vacation Strategy and are paying less than $150 a night. I think that's a great rate for the week of Thanksgiving. Plus, I really like Vacation Strategy. They have always been super easy to work with and very professional. I do find it easier to just call them than to do the online request form. I believe that they are just a small company, maybe even Orlando based because the rep knew where the Windsor Hills neighborhood was located. I called a few weeks ago to reserve our June trip and the rep recognized my name. He even lowered the price for me from the original quote. Gotta love that! We have used them for other Wyndham properties too and never had a problem.