Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with the new layout?

Problems with the new layout?

If you're seeing any oddities, can you let me know so I can see if they're fixable?

Looks great on mobile!!

I clicked through all the items in the drop down menu on the mobile version (not sure what the desktop version looks like yet). Everything worked great except the Epcot touring. The menu has "Theme Park Touring" followed by the with and without Soarin selections. I was initially drawn to select "Theme Park Touring" and it took me nowhere. On the mobile version there is nothing to indicate that the "with Soarin" and "without Soarin" are sub-topics of "Theme Park Touring" except a couple of times clicking then an "ah-ha moment."

Otherwise, the new site looks fantastic.
    June 2004 ASMO; Dec 2005 POP; Feb 2007 POP; March 2011 POR; March 2014 POR; Feb 2015 BWV; Sept 2015 PVB; Jan 2016 AKV Jambo (kind of); Feb 2016 OKW; Sept 2016 PVB; Feb/March 2017 BWV/PVB; Aug/Sept 2017 BCV; Feb 2018 BLT/CCV

MY TRIP REPORTS

Hmmmmm okay, thanks. I'll see what can be done about that.

Looks great to me on both mobile and PC. I have the with and without Soarin options on my iPhone without issue. Well done! So much easier to navigate.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Hmmmmm okay, thanks. I'll see what can be done about that.
    Just to be clear- the "With Soarin" and "without Soarin" links worked fine. It just seemed like the theme park touring link would take you to a general Epcot touring page. Nothing major -just the one little quirk I noticed.
    June 2004 ASMO; Dec 2005 POP; Feb 2007 POP; March 2011 POR; March 2014 POR; Feb 2015 BWV; Sept 2015 PVB; Jan 2016 AKV Jambo (kind of); Feb 2016 OKW; Sept 2016 PVB; Feb/March 2017 BWV/PVB; Aug/Sept 2017 BCV; Feb 2018 BLT/CCV

MY TRIP REPORTS

The new site looks great, I really like it! And I love that it works well on mobile much better than the old site.

Most of the issues I noticed in the first hour are now fixed, except for the few pesky links I emailed you about.

One thing I have noticed as I have used the new site more is that there is a lot of wasted space at the top of the screen. I would recommend finding a way to move your logo, since it currently ends up taking up that entire header area, most of which is white/unused space, and spans the entire width of the screen. On smaller screens (shorter especially) this ends up taking up a significant portion of the screen height, not leaving as much for the actual content.

Here is what it looks like on my Chromebook:

My quick (rough) ideas of how it could look to leave much more room for content, just by moving the logo.

Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR

Ah, I see what you're saying. There should probably be a landing page there rather than just the two categories.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post
    The new site looks great, I really like it! And I love that it works well on mobile much better than the old site.

Most of the issues I noticed in the first hour are now fixed, except for the few pesky links I emailed you about.

One thing I have noticed as I have used the new site more is that there is a lot of wasted space at the top of the screen. I would recommend finding a way to move your logo, since it currently ends up taking up that entire header area, most of which is white/unused space, and spans the entire width of the screen. On smaller screens (shorter especially) this ends up taking up a significant portion of the screen height, not leaving as much for the actual content.
    There's going to be a big ass ad there once I can figure out how to add one.

There's going to be a big ass ad there once I can figure out how to add one.
    Done.

Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR

Hahaha that's pretty much it. I don't make much money on those books, but being an affiliate link if anybody buys anything else on Amazon I occasionally get a nice commission. Somebody bought a television today. I would hug that person if I could.

Hahaha that's pretty much it. I don't make much money on those books, but being an affiliate link if anybody buys anything else on Amazon I occasionally get a nice commission. Somebody bought a television today. I would hug that person if I could.
    Do they have to buy the other items along with a book? Or can we just click on your link and then go make any normal purchases?
    Micah

MousePerks

Any purchase. Occasionally you'll see a site that will say something like "Support us by using one of our affiliate links." MiceChat does that, among others. I may do something like that, but I never remember to do it and I doubt anyone else really does either. If everybody that visited this site went through my Amazon affiliate link, I'd be like a billionaire.

JulieHFJ
    Will you be making the banner/tabs/logo at the top of each forum page consistent with the redesign?

Ummmmm I don't really know how. I might look into it once the dust settles.

JulieHFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post

Gotta disagree with Micah about that. I think the logo looks best against a white backdrop, and that it warrants a fair amount of space. And to my eye the white space to the right of it serves as a visual buffer between the blue banner with tabs across the top, and three columns of links/content below. With the current redesign the large volume of data is apparent and readily accessible, but it doesn't look crowded.

Any purchase. Occasionally you'll see a site that will say something like "Support us by using one of our affiliate links." MiceChat does that, among others. I may do something like that, but I never remember to do it and I doubt anyone else really does either. If everybody that visited this site went through my Amazon affiliate link, I'd be like a billionaire.
    That is good to know. I'll try to remember to click through your page to shop!
    Oct 2009 - Off-site | Aug 2014 - Pop! | Sept 2015 - POR!! |Feb 2016 - Pop! *Girl's Trip* | Feb 2018 - POFQ? *Sibling trip*

Where is your affiliate link? I'm happy to shop through it but I don't think I've ever seen it.

If you click the book on the right side of the homepage, it would take you to it.

Oh ok thanks!

JulieHFJ
    Please, please update the date stamps for your new or updated content. One of the biggest challenges for a rookie researching a trip to wdw is the amount of info on the web generally that's outdated but seems current because it lacks a date of publication, or pops up on a site that automatically updates the date listed to the current day. You have the opposite problem: Current info bearing the date of the initial blog post.

Oops, I didn't know this section was here - sorry I mentioned the Belle thing in the other section. Anyway, I also don't see Journey of the Little Mermaid in the MK attractions list. Pretty sure, anyway. I'm always convinced I'm going to provide "helpful" information only to find it the minute I hit reply.

No, I spent a lot of time updating old content but neglected to add a few new things. I'm writing up Belle at the moment and will do Mermaid Ride after. Thanks for pointing it out - I would have forgotten about the Mermaid ride.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Where is the article for "How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Make A Button?"
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

I think the update bumps you from gold standard to platinum.

Looks great, thanks. And I will be sure to shop the affiliate link in appreciation for everything, including trying that black bun pork disaster so we don't have to.