Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Interesting comments on recent increase in wait times at park

Wow, they can't even report the attendance increase correctly at TP. They had 2 posts today where they stated 15% increase in attendance. The second post was AFTER it was clearly pointed out in the comments section of the first post that the actual increase was 7%. This is such a basic concept how can they get it wrong?

I don't know why I care at this point, but somehow I continue to hope there will be useful information from TP and then am disappointed when they fail to grasp common sense concepts like one fiscal year has 52 weeks and the next 53 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by jprice906 View Post
    Good point - but if all the good FPs are already taken by onsite guests with long stays and guests booking throwaway rooms at the 60 day window then the remaining guests that come searching for FPs after that will only have non-priority FPs left to select from. Then when a FP that might otherwise go unused is used on a non-priority attraction that will increase the standby wait time for that attraction. So maybe there are longer waits because more people are booking throwaway rooms and more people are booking longer stays. I don't know. I guess like Josh said, there is a lot going on ...
    Josh has previously discussed the impact of greater fp utilization on wait times at secondary attractions. That greater utilization has nothing to do with WHEN the fp are made. As Becky said, the timing of when you make your fp (30 or 60 days) will impact who gets the priority fp, but not the total number booked. Once the priority are booked up people will opt for the remaining secondary attractions. If X people plan to go to MK and pre-book fp, then there will be 3X fp reserved for that day regardless of when those reservations are made.

Secondly, even if timing mattered, the vast majority of guests are not making throwaway reservations. It is a drop in the bucket and certainly wouldn't be enough to alter wait times.

I imagine more people end up throwing away FP than rooms. Some of the wait times at GMR and Pirates are killing me, though. Not to blame them for everything, but a tour group getting in front of you can flip a wait time pretty quickly.

The comments are savage: http://blog.touringplans.com/2015/11...december-2015/

Imagine planning your Disneyland trip expecting it to be a "2 out of 10" only to have your crowd level raised to "9 out of 10" two weeks before you're supposed to get on a plane.

hi,...Speaking of TP, today a friend forwarded to me an email where TP just changed their crowd calendar for next week! (our trip is 11/15-11/21) Upping their predictions for resort-wide crowds, along with bigger crowds in MK, and HS...they've now got HS crowd-level 6 every day next week, previously 3's....even forecast-ed next Tuesday a 6; and HS closes at 4pm that day. Is this more TP craziness?, or should it be taken seriously? The last time I was in HS it was supposedly crowd levels 6-7....wait times were awful, and the whole park.. claustrophobic, too many people for such a small park! My husband and I left mid-day, leaving our kids to fight the fight. I swore I wouldn't go back to HS unless low crowds were forecasted. We'll be there when the park opens, and are going with Josh's predictions/recommendations, but this has us a little startled. Thanks.

he's right
    "Our crowd calendars go to 11."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOO5S4vxi0o

Quote Originally Posted by MinnieUNC View Post
    hi,...Speaking of TP, today a friend forwarded to me an email where TP just changed their crowd calendar for next week! (our trip is 11/15-11/21) Upping their predictions for resort-wide crowds, along with bigger crowds in MK, and HS...they've now got HS crowd-level 6 every day next week, previously 3's....even forecast-ed next Tuesday a 6; and HS closes at 4pm that day. Is this more TP craziness?, or should it be taken seriously? The last time I was in HS it was supposedly crowd levels 6-7....wait times were awful, and the whole park.. claustrophobic, too many people for such a small park! My husband and I left mid-day, leaving our kids to fight the fight. I swore I wouldn't go back to HS unless low crowds were forecasted. We'll be there when the park opens, and are going with Josh's predictions/recommendations, but this has us a little startled. Thanks.
    If I were you I'd just throw those TP predictions in the trash and not think anything of it. Follow Joshs park recommendations and cheat sheets and you'll be fine.

If you thought Hollywood Studios was claustrophobic on your last visit I have bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    "Our crowd calendars go to 11."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOO5S4vxi0o
    I have written confirmation from the head honcho there that if their scale went higher than 10, MK on NYE would be a 14 or 15. :)
    June 2004 ASMO; Dec 2005 POP; Feb 2007 POP; March 2011 POR; March 2014 POR; Feb 2015 BWV; Sept 2015 PVB; Jan 2016 AKV Jambo (kind of); Feb 2016 OKW; Sept 2016 PVB; Feb/March 2017 BWV/PVB; Aug/Sept 2017 BCV; Feb 2018 BLT/CCV

MY TRIP REPORTS

he's right
    Amusingly, today is Nigel Tufnel Day. Happy 11/11!

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    If you thought Hollywood Studios was claustrophobic on your last visit I have bad news.
    So are you saying you think TP is right? On your calendar you have Tuesday-Friday next week, resort crowd levels 2's-3's, and HS is a recommended park each day;Tuesday (11/17)when we've planned to go to HS, your calendar predicts resort crowd level 3, and HS is your most recommended park that day. I assumed that would mean you expect HS crowds to be no more than a 3 that day? Thanks.

I have no idea what Touring Plans numbers mean. You can take a look at what kinds of wait times to expect in the cheat sheet: http://www.easywdw.com/cheatsheets/hs_cheatsheet_v3.pdf. If you go on a recommended day when Magic Kingdom is open late with nighttime entertainment, you should see something similar to crowd level 3-4.

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    Amusingly, today is Nigel Tufnel Day. Happy 11/11!
    I love Nigel.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I have no idea what Touring Plans numbers mean. You can take a look at what kinds of wait times to expect in the cheat sheet: http://www.easywdw.com/cheatsheets/hs_cheatsheet_v3.pdf. If you go on a recommended day when Magic Kingdom is open late with nighttime entertainment, you should see something similar to crowd level 3-4.
    Thanks, I had said a while back that I wasn't even going to look at TP, then kinda panicked when I saw the friend's email. I already have your cheat sheets printed out, packed and ready to go! :) ..And am not going to think about the other any more. Couldn't get a FP+ for TSMM so we're heading there 1st thing that morning, then have FP+ for other most important things. If by chance, mid-day HS crowds end up being too much for me, fingers crossed, it looks like Tuesday (minus a slight chance of a shower) may be a good day to hang out by the pool...we can't do that this time of year here in NC! :) Thanks again.

Those seats reserved up front? Yeah, reserved for us
    I'm going January 3-8. TP just raised crowd levels most days, except on 1/3 it lowered HS from an 8 to a 5. With morning EMH and the last night of Osborne lights forever, how the hell could they lower the crowd level at all, let alone that much?!
    DLR Premium AP holders for years
    WDW: Grand Floridian Summer 2001; Animal Kingdom Lodge Spring 2006; Beach Club Resort December 2010; Beach Club Resort March 2011; Swan March 2015; Swan January 2016; Swan March 2016

I read Nigel Tufnel and thought Nigel Thornberry. Is that bad?
    Abby - I have kids.

that's a shame
    Quote Originally Posted by pkdof View Post
    I'm going January 3-8. TP just raised crowd levels most days, except on 1/3 it lowered HS from an 8 to a 5. With morning EMH and the last night of Osborne lights forever, how the hell could they lower the crowd level at all, let alone that much?!
    It seems that trying to figure out the reasoning behind their numbers is akin to trying to count grains of sand on a beach.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

I'm on a FB page of DISers going in Jan. There was such a ruckus the other day as TP changed their calendars. (Understandably, people made plans based on them!) One particular day was going from a 2 to a 5. I said, "Josh's calendar over at easywdw has had that day as a 5 since he published it months ago. I went last year on a 5 and using his plans, got a ton of stuff done. Go check out his plans and you'll be fine". :)