Thread: "Last" minute trip for NYE

"Last" minute trip for NYE

I just started planning a trip to head to WDW for NYE for a 4-5 day trip. We'll have APs, stay offsite, hit rope drop, look at some decorations. We Really want to see Osborne lights again. I'm not real concerned with ADRs, if I happen to find something open that we want, great! If not, that's ok. We're thinking this would be a cool Christmas present for the kiddos. My oldest son always said he wanted to go in December because his birthday is in December (and my youngest son's birthday is in May, we've been several times in May).

Is this too crazy? I feel like I've slipped into another level of Disney mania. I know it'll be insanely crowded, and I don't want to have to put a ton of energy into planning.
    Brandi

You've been around this site long enough to know what to do. You've got a bunch of recent trips under your belt, so you don't have to do everything. Pick your parks, schedule some FPs and go enjoy. Take a trip off from uberplanning. Sleep late and take advantage of the late nights at the parks. Enjoy just being their at Christmas.
    June 2004 ASMO; Dec 2005 POP; Feb 2007 POP; March 2011 POR; March 2014 POR; Feb 2015 BWV; Sept 2015 PVB; Jan 2016 AKV Jambo (kind of); Feb 2016 OKW; Sept 2016 PVB; Feb/March 2017 BWV/PVB; Aug/Sept 2017 BCV; Feb 2018 BLT/CCV

MY TRIP REPORTS

That is a way awesome Christmas present for the kiddos! If they are like my girls they get enough crap for Christmas that they really need but promptly forget about, but a trip is something that they will remember. Like said above you have been enough you don't need to plan the details as much, it will come together. My only worry would be park closures, but you wouldn't know that until you were there anyway so no sense obsessing about it now. Have a wonderful time!
    Kim

Thanks, guys, I think the only thing I'll really plan is to be there at RD, make some FPs, and see the lights in HS.
    Brandi

that's going to be so awesome and you, your husband and your kids will always remember the Christmas you surprised them with Disney! :)

I'd add at least another 30 minutes to your normal RD time (30 minutes earlier) but besides that, you got this! :)

how fun!
    CR Jan 18-23 2018 YC Jan 23-28

I did exactly the same thing last year with my family and not only have no regrets but am very glad we did so. We had APs burning holes in our pockets, time off between Christmas and NYD, and planned and booked the trip in October. We did stay onsite at CBR which was almost the only non-budget resort with availability. We got some ADRs but less than usual and, and ate at the resort restaurant on NYE itself because, as you would imagine, there was precious little available that night. Crowds were no worse than what we've seen in President's Day week or Easter. We did AK on NYE, by far the most recommended that day, and skipped fireworks. We did MK on NYD, figuring everyone was there the night before. It wasn't empty, but probably made the most sense.

Detailed trip report here:
    http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...Year-2014-Trip
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

Thanks, Mark, I reread your report, thanks for the link.
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by nolarookie View Post
    Thanks, Mark, I reread your report, thanks for the link.
    You're welcome Brandi.
    Essentially, it's just like any other trip that happens to be at a very busy time, but if you have any questions feel free to reach out.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

Mark, when y'all were in the park around 7 am, was that an EMH or regular park opening time?
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by nolarookie View Post
    Mark, when y'all were in the park around 7 am, was that an EMH or regular park opening time?
    I think it had to be EMH. I think MK had morning EMH every day both Christmas week and NYE week, and like they do during Easter Week so there's no avoiding it. You can of course go later but it's still a morning EMH day with (most of) all that entails. The one difference is that since it is every day the EMH doesn't guarantee an extra-large crowd. And we skipped RD arrived for EMH but shortly after 7. By the time we entered Main Street was almost deserted because all the RD people went straight to 7DMT or A&E. It was kind of weird.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,