Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FastPass Policy Change.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    "My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious."

"Thank you, Simone."
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    "My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious."

"Thank you, Simone."
    Awesome.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    It's an amusement park, for goodness sake, how much planning could you need?

will take any rain...even if its men. RoonieRoo's Avatar
    Very soggy, muddy, flooding plains of the Blackland Prairie! Yay for flooding!
    I'm trying to do what Vicki recommended and keep calm and not worry about it. But I will admit it is a bit of concern since we do rely somewhat on the late return to make our touring efficient.

I just can't see how they are going to do this without incurring a lot of wrath or putting the CMs into positions of having to be confrontational with guests.

It makes more sense if it's related to the nextgen changes but I never got the impression that the reserve your ride deal was coming that soon. It always sounded like a far in the future, still blue-sky discussion.

Peanut butter is yummy.

"Thank you, Simone."
    ROFL

I am not going to worry one bit about it.

There may be something coming or changing or whatever but it would make no sense at all to do away with FPs, or even to limit their return use.
    I have to think that rumors run rampant among the CMs at Disney just like they do on these boards.

I did notice the FP timers- did a few of those myself while there in Oct- and that was was interesting.

They were doing the trial FPs for FoTLK at AK when we were there and the CM spent a long time explaining some new ideas to Judy and I- all about managing wait times and moving crowds around more efficiently.
    I think they are just collecting data, trying out new ideas, etc. (Which is pretty much what that CM was implying)

If and when any sort of change does happen- I don't think this statement will be true

but a mass email will go out and it would take effect immediately.
    Seriously-- that would cause nothing but mass chaos and confusion among not only guests but all CMs as well.

To work, it would have to be a "no tolerance policy" for late FASTPASS use, just like early FASTPASS use. You simply couldn't have hundreds of people trying to explain "their case" to the FASTPASS cast member. And once possible excuses were identified (monorail broke down, meal went long, child meltdown, etc.), people would just use those excuses to get through anyway. After all, the people that predominately use late FASTPASS (are probably) the same people that are active on sites like disboards.com, listen to the various podcasts, etc. At Disney World, cast members don't usually call you a liar to your face, which is what they would have to do to deny some late FASTPASS usage and not others.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't think late FASTPASS use is really a problem in the first place. It's not like everybody that gets a FASTPASS for 10:30am - 11:30am uses it precisely between 3:40pm and 3:50pm, thus making the FASTPASS line that much longer. Disney is also smart enough to manipulate FASTPASS return times so that they could figure out what distribution model would work to keep FASTPASS return lines shorter. For example, they could issue more FASTPASSes for 10am - 11am and fewer FASTPASSes for 3pm - 4pm, knowing that so many people that get the FASTPASS for 10am won't be returning until 3pm anyway.

Anyway, cracking down on "late" FASTPASS use doesn't seem logical to me because A. it's not a problem and B. the implementation of such a policy would be unfeasible.

owes it all to duffy
    It's funny - this week, I only rode a few rides, but three times (out if maybe 6 fp rides), I got the red card to carry in the fp line. We were laughing about it because what are the odds, but maybe they are doing more analysis of fp wait times or something - like - the majority of fp's return at 7pm, regardless of stayed return time so maybe they would adjust the number they give out for 7pm period to eliminate fp lines. Who knows, I am not going to worry about it.
    Jill

12/1998 - Offsite
    4/2003 - CSR (convention)
    2/2010 - CBR
    5/2011 - CSR - trip report, trip report part 2
    10/2011 - Grand Floridian - trip report
    4/2014 - POR - trip report
    12/2015 - Grand Floridian
    1/2016 - Universal Studios - Portofino Bay trip report
    3/2016 - CSR

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i love josh. Janine's Avatar
    I never even got a second glance last week when returning with FPs late. I thought that was a good sign...
    Janine

Josh - just curious, do you think there's anything at all to these reports recently though about what CMs are saying? I agree with what you said totally, and I also am not going to worry about it, AND I've been around Disney message boards long enough to see LOTS and LOTS of weird FP rumor threads come and go, yet somehow these reports have a different feel to them somehow, that's why I've been reserving judgment this time.

(Maybe there's some secret cabal of 20 CMs that have cooked this all up during some CM happy hour!)

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post

(Maybe there's some secret cabal of 20 CMs that have cooked this all up during some CM happy hour!)
    Held in the old Adventurers Club, no doubt.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i love josh. Janine's Avatar
    Janine

I don't think it's any closer to being "on the verge" of happening than it ever has been. As far as I know, there is no memo/plan that would end the "FASTPASS forgiveness policy" on "x date." That's the reason the supposed start date is always getting pushed back from June, to summer, to the end of September, to Thanksgiving, to Christmas, etc. But it's hard to say at any given time who has the ear of upper management and the people that could implement a change "of that magnitude." Disney has a plan for just about everything imaginable and it certainly wouldn't be the first time they implemented something seemingly stupid. Obviously, these sorts of things are what management is discussing, but just because something is discussed a lot doesn't mean that the powers that be would actually implement a change.

In reality, they have much bigger fish to try, so to speak. I have no idea how they are going to implement their new "plan your whole vacation a year in advance" or "schedule a ride time and wait only a couple of minutes." The reason FASTPASS works is because they have priority and the lines are short due to the limited number of FASTPASS tickets issued. But if you look at a ride like Toy Story Mania with an hourly capacity under 1,000 people, that means that under 12,000 total rides on Toy Story Mania can occur during any given 12-hour day. Since the Studios has an average daily attendance of 25,000 people, that means less than half can ride Toy Story Mania. And if you want to talk about riding a second or third time, the number of "total unique riders" is even lower. So to find short lines at a ride like that, Disney is going to have to find a way to limit access. The only way to do that would be to charge for access or limit the accessibility of the entire program to Disney Resort guests and then potentially charge even more to off-site guests. The return times would also have to be very specific. After all, if you get even 400 people in line at Toy Story, you're looking at a 30 minute wait. And just imagine during very expensive, busy time when crowds are higher and an even lower percentage of people can ride something like Soarin' or Toy Story Mania.

Anyway, I really can't see it working very well logistically, but that doesn't mean Disney doesn't consider it the next step in the progression to some sort of pay-for-play system. But as of right now, as far as I know, there is no definitive plan to actually implement a "no exceptions" policy to late FASTPASS usage.

tests unsafe roller coasts in china blyday's Avatar
    My point of view on this is to not worry about it until it happens. We don't know the whens, ifs or hows on this matter so worrying and stressing about it is really pointless. I can only see something like this working if they change the whole FP RT window to start with, like giving a 2 hour time frame to cover those who and an ADR run longer then they thought, etc. And then, as Josh said, it would have to be an absolute, you must use it by or you don't get to use it....period. And then of course there would have to be some way to work around a ride breakdown. If the ride is down for the full 2 hours, it's not fair to deny people access.....so perhaps a CM could be there to take their original FP and then hand out an "anytime" FP to replace it so that those people would still be able to come back later and use it. Otherwise, the abuse that would fall upon CMs would be horrific.

Bottom line, if it does happen, we are planners and we have Josh who is in the parks all of the time, and we will just learn to adjust accordingly. Getting upset, stressed or even worried about it at this point in time really is nothing more then a waste of our time because ultimately......there is nothing we can do until we know the whens, ifs and hows.
    Brenda

wears a coca-cola shirt to club cool just in case vatmark's Avatar
    Josh - just curious, do you think there's anything at all to these reports recently though about what CMs are saying? I agree with what you said totally, and I also am not going to worry about it, AND I've been around Disney message boards long enough to see LOTS and LOTS of weird FP rumor threads come and go, yet somehow these reports have a different feel to them somehow, that's why I've been reserving judgment this time.

I usually don't get worried about the rumors either but for some reason this one has me on edge a bit. I don't see how it can work. Guess we wait and see. I'll keep my plans that I have made up so far as is and if something changes then back to the drawing board.

Ann

I think if you look back at most of the changes Disney has made over the last year or two, you'll find that most of the freaking out was unwarranted. I remember the fairly recent "Epcot rope drop procedure change" that had people "worried." After it was implemented, I think you could argue that it's a step in the right direction. Even if this was implemented, an hour window is a long time, plus you have the additional 40 minutes until the FASTPASS is valid. So if you got FASTPASSes for something like Buzz Lightyear, which is almost always 40 minutes out, you would have 1 hour 40 minutes to return. When you pick up FASTPASSes before a break, it's usually to the attractions that have return times far in advance anyway, like Soarin or Peter Pan's Flight, which might have return times three or four hours in the future. Those would still work. I know people start with the "But.......WHAT IF!!!!!!!!!!" scenarios and yeah there are those, but it isn't like that WHAT IF!!! is going to happen every single time.

he's right
    There is definitely "something" going on because there's too many reports just like Abby's
    My guess is that the "something" is that the Cast Members repeat rumors they hear, just like anyone else.

That said...
    I just can't see how they are going to do this without incurring a lot of wrath or putting the CMs into positions of having to be confrontational with guests.
    They do it just fine with no early returns already. It's not that hard to tell a guest "no" if that's the policy. Here, I'll show you.

I'm sorry, but this has expired. However, you are welcome to (enter the standby line)/(get another fast pass) if you wish to ride (now)/(later).
    You might get Penny and Percy Passholder complaining about being able to do it last month, but the dear Passholders will be told, in the most polite manner possible, that, unfortunately this courtesy can no longer be extended for <some random Disney-fiction reason>. If Penny and Percy keep up, the Cast Member will call over their Manager, and if that doesn't work the Manager will helpfully suggest that they visit Guest Services to speak with someone who can comment on the policy further, and might even offer to walk them over there, at which they'll be given coupons for a free mickeybar and sent on their way.

Here's the thing. The front line cast members are always (and I do mean always) the last to know about some major policy change. They leave work and the policy is "X". They come in the next day and are informed that the policy from now on is "not X". That's what happened when they stopped accepting days-old Fastpasses, and that's what happened when they started dating the Rider Switch and Re-Entry tickets. But, if for whatever reason Operations decides to enforce the closing time on the window, they can, they will, it will happen without warning and immediately, and it won't cause any great wailing and gnashing of teeth at all. What's more, Josh is right---it won't even make it that much harder to tour the parks. Different? Sure. Harder? Nope. I mean, instead of riding space mountain five times, maybe you only ride twice, but then you'll finally get a chance to do some of those other things you rarely ever seem to do, and that's fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post

<some random Disney-fiction reason>
    1. To improve guest experience.
    2. Based on guest demand.

And I say those tongue-in-cheek, not seriously. Those are the reasons they always give when they change anything - especially DVC things!

rubbing in the fact that your baked potato didnt come with cheese WTP's Avatar
    This is always my first thought. If I worked for minimum wage at Disney, besides enjoying my job, I would enjoy seeing reports of the rumors I started causing 14-page threads on the DISboards.

I'm totally against the whole plan-your-ride-180-days-in-advance nonsense they're cooking up. Sounds horrible to me!
    Susan

"FASTPASS 2.0" should include easier to use kiosks where you put in your ticket and select the attraction and time you want at various locations around the Park (say, where the current machines are located). There would be a certain number of tickets for each time slot/attraction.

Am I right?

Peanut butter is yummy.
    Am I right?
    Maybe, maybe not.

But then I think the FP system works perfectly fine the way it is, no reason to mess with it.
    I would not want to get behind someone who had no idea what to do with a Fastpass 2.0 system as you described. I'd probably get all discombobulated and leave my ticket (or my boss's new AP) in the machine or something stupid like that.

Might have to edit that post to just say, "Yes."

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    "FASTPASS 2.0" should include easier to use kiosks where you put in your ticket and select the attraction and time you want at various locations around the Park (say, where the current machines are located). There would be a certain number of tickets for each time slot/attraction.

Am I right?
    If I remember correctly isn't that what they did when Universal actually had FP machines? There were machines in central locations, you picked the ride you wanted and a return time? Maybe it was all just a dream because it has been a very long time since Universal had FP machines.
    Lori

WDW: 72, May 93, June 98, June 01, Aug 01, July 02, Oct 02, June 03, July 04, June 05, July 06, Sept 06, Dec 06, July 07, July 09, July 10. Coming soon: Dec 11, May 12

DL: 97, 00

The front line cast members are always (and I do mean always) the last to know about some major policy change. They leave work and the policy is "X". They come in the next day and are informed that the policy from now on is "not X".
    This reminds me of the CM who used to work at River Country. One day, he was told to report to Blizzard Beach, or somewhere. The next thing he knew, River Country was closed. Bam. No goodbye friends, no gee what's going to happen to us. Just, Bam.

Founding Member #2 and My Emergency Contact Smokenaxes's Avatar

The Sky is Falling!!!!!!

Just to chime in.... OK so chicken little got the entire barnyard in a tizzy all for naught, and the ostriches bury their head in the sand, and there were a grasshopper and some ants....(pardon any grammatical errors please) I know mixed stories here but elements of each going on with this thread. I think Disney will change their FP system sometime in the future (hey they used to have no FP right?). Oh ostriches don't bury their heads, they turn their eggs, which are in a big hole, which really is weird cause on the safari they are in plain sight! I digress... , well there is change coming, I just don't know what. The ants are preparing while (them) others are just running around having fun. How to prepare when you don't know whats coming (train train train) do what you know works . Keep vigilant about changing conditions, regroup and address the new scenarios. One thing i like about the board is there are a lot of smart and experienced people. And they do not rest on laurels, they are experiential-- active Disney folks that are in the parks and share their experiences. Good clear communication (mostly) that is shared and pared and refined so that others can have some great visits to the World. That said I think to be all nervous is an exercise in futility but we need to stay alert for the sudden Disney Crazy Ivans (for all the non Tom Clancy fans a Crazy Ivan is a tactical move (sudden and unexpected) used by a Soviet submarine commander), and react with the skill set we are good at. -- getting into the parks and finding out what really works with the changed conditions.
    A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
    Groucho Marx

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    I started counting the mixed metaphors but I lost track...
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

not going to be flippant...unless... peachygreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorK View Post
    I started counting the mixed metaphors but I lost track...
    Me too. But I appreciated the humor!