Thread: All Star Sports May 2014

All Star Sports May 2014

This review goes back to last spring but I don't see any All Star resort reviews so hopefully it will be helpful...

I booked a standard room at All Star Sports for 5/14/14-5/18/14 for myself and DS5 (at the time) I had shown him pictures of some of the Disney resorts online and it is the one he choose (and it fit really well into my tight budget! I Paid less than $100 per night with the promotion they were running at the time, I believe values were 15% off).

We arrived at MCO at about 10:00 am (our flight was 30 mins early) and we got on DME using our magic bands and only waited about 10 mins before heading to WDW from the airport. We dropped of at CSR first and then headed to All Star Sports, total time from flight touch down to being dropped off at the resort was definitely less than the 90 mins they tell you to budget for.

I had done online check in and requested Touchdown section and close to transportation. We got in the online check in line and there were a couple of people ahead of us. After a few mins a CM with an iPad came over to help us. When we arrived (about 11:00 am) our room was not ready but the CM called to see if there was another room ready for us and asked me if it was ok to change our room. I asked the location of the room and she said Surfs Up near the main pool which was normally a preferred room and we took that room. It was super close to the main pool, busses and food court.

My first impression of the room when we walked in was that it was REALLY small, but it worked out fine for just my son & I. The mini fridge was basically a dorm sized fridge and I did miss having a coffee maker in the room, but it was a short walk to fill up our refillable mugs in the morning (coffee for me, powerade for DS) on the way to the buses.

I had read a ton of negative trip advisor reviews of the All Stars, about crowding at the food court and pools, hassles due to renovations going on, and long walks everywhere but we never ran into these issues. I think a lot of the complaints had to do with the food court refurbishment (which was completed by the time we arrived) and complaints about crowding and noise during the week Pop Warner is at WDW. If you don't want to have long walks the sections I'd recommend are Surfs Up, Touchdown, and Home Run. They are all on the same side of the resort as the busses that go to the Parks and close to both of the pools, our room in Surfs Up was about a 3 min walk to the main pool and 5-7 mins to the baseball pool. The Hoops and Tennis sections are on the other side of the resort and seemed like a much longer walk to the resort amenities (all though the playground is near one of those areas.)

I read horror stories about the busses as well but didn't have any major issues. All Star Sports is the first of the All Stars to be picked up on the way to the parks and the first stop dropped off. The Magic Kingdom busses are not shared but actually seemed to lead to the Magic Kingdom buses being much more crowded than the other buses because the drivers would wait for 5-10 mins and really let the bus fill up before heading to Magic Kingdom. There did seem to be a disproportionate amount of DTD buses first thing in the morning when people were lined up to go to the parks (sometimes 2 or 3 DTD buses would come before the buses for the parks) but we did make all of our rope drops and ADRs on time so it didn't really matter.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at All Star Sports and it had the perfect theming for a 5 year old boy. The trip advisor reviews almost made me cancel my reservation and look for something else but I'm glad we tried it. If you go in expecting a luxury hotel and spacious rooms you will be disappointed but if you just want a clean place to sleep and shower with a few Disney touches it should be fine.

(For reference I've also stayed at the Poly, WL and Dixie Landings (now one of the Port Orleans resorts) and WL is my favorite by far but if I can afford to go every 5 years at WL or every 1-2 years at a value, I'll take more frequent trips at the values)
    Last edited by ChantelCT; 07-28-2015 at 12:42 PM.

I'm glad you had a positive experience there! I stayed in February and it was fine for me. I shared my review here as well as on trip advisor to help to explain its not all bad there. You are right, if you are going for a place to sleep and shower, then it works out just fine!!
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

Thanks! How much time did you allow from bus pick up til Rope Drop?

Quote Originally Posted by mrstski View Post
    I allowed an hour before rope drop (and usually arrived by at the parks by 8:30 for 9:00 am rope drops) if you wanted to arrive by 8:15-8:20 am or it is a higher crowd time I would allow an hour and 15 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by mrstski View Post
    Also the All Stars are the closest to Animal Kingdom and the furthest from Magic Kingdom so I would allow a little more time if you wanted to get to Magic Kingdom rope drop or have an ADR there.

Thanks for the review! I've stayed at all three All-Stars (and all five values) and out of the All-Stars, we enjoyed Sports the most.
    Who doesn't like a brat with dirty hair?

I'm staying at POP in February, I hope I like it just as much!! I would 100% stay at Sports again.
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

We are staying at POP in December and I hope we like it too!

Glad others had a good experience at All Star Sports!

ChantelCT

Thanks for the review because I'm planning on staying there in July 2016 and was kinda skeptical after reading good and bad reviews. I'm really glad you had a good time. I'm also going with an 5 year old boy and 10 year girl with another family with two boys so I think this should be fun.

Stayed there last December enjoyed everything but the food court. Wasn't bad food just not great Disney service. All things concerned really enjoyed it