Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: RunDisney Team easyWDW

I'm in Canada so I don't have it quite as bad. Although it had been in the high 90s with the humidex for the last 3 weeks and I managed to get heat stroke (or whatever the mildest form is - stopped sweating, shivers, headache etc. ) during a 10k race trying to get a decent time for the wine & dine. (Who starts a 10k at 9:40am in July? Not trying that race again.)

But I figure that just balances out the hypothermia I experienced in February training for the Tink.
    To cool you off: Here's a shot out my client's office window from March (1st floor with 4 story building across the street btw) the day before my 9 mile training run

window.JPG
    ~Stacey

Oh yuck. Snow is a 4 letter word.
    Tanya

Medals received : 08 WDW Half ~ 10 Princess Half + 10 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 11 WDW Full ~ 11 Wine & Dine Half ~ 12 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 12 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 13 Half + Full = GOOFY ~ 13 Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare + C2C ~ 14 January Marathon Volunteer ~ 14 ToT 10 miler ~ 15 DOPEY Challenge ~ 15 Avengers ~ 17 cxld Half ~ 2017 DLParis

Medals pending : 2021 Star Wars, 2023 Glass Slipper + Tink

Quote Originally Posted by runDisneygirl View Post
    Oh yuck. Snow is a 4 letter word.
    I know! And will be back way too soon - every time I start to gripe about heat, I look at this picture on my phone.
    Of course, our hot weather lasts only a few weeks. The 4 letter word was around for 5 months this year. Unbelievable.
    I was born in the wrong climate!
    ~Stacey

I much prefer the cold weather training... but I've never dealt with snow like that. The good news is that when I get to the race in September, I can take 20-30 seconds per mile off just from the reduced heat.

Where in Canada? I love St. John's.
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." -- Ferris Bueller

WDW: 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2013, 2016
    DLP: 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017
    Disney Magic Mediterranean Cruise 2018

It's funny how we're all so different. I run so much better in heat. PR'd a 10k a few weeks ago with temps in upper 70's and humid for WI. It was wonderful! Summer is short lived here too, so you bet we're outside as much as we can be. Stupid snow. Hate it.

Can not deal with the cold. Ears hurt, fingers hurt, nose constantly running, and ears hurt. Takes hours to warm up afterwards.
    Tanya

Medals received : 08 WDW Half ~ 10 Princess Half + 10 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 11 WDW Full ~ 11 Wine & Dine Half ~ 12 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 12 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 13 Half + Full = GOOFY ~ 13 Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare + C2C ~ 14 January Marathon Volunteer ~ 14 ToT 10 miler ~ 15 DOPEY Challenge ~ 15 Avengers ~ 17 cxld Half ~ 2017 DLParis

Right coast. I love St John's too. Great party town. Although if you get out into the countryside, the people & scenery are even more fantastic. Used to get to travel there for work and its one of my favorite places.
    I'm in New Brunswick. We're sandwiched between Maine & Nova Scotia. Short, hot summers, brutal winters, but beautiful landscape - especially in the fall, which is my fav time to train with temps in the 40s & 50s.

Snow is actually a great workout. Like running on the beach. Unfortunately the roads get narrow, short days (like 7-4 pm) mean running in the dark and ice that a pain to deal with.
    To tell you the truth, this past winter was the first time I sucked it up and trained outside most of the time. I used to stick to the treadmill until it hit 20F March-ish. I still wimp out when the temp hits -4F or lower but a girl has to have limits. ;-)

I'm sure lots of people in the south do the opposite -With heat & humidity high they stick to an air conditioned gym?
    ~Stacey

Quote Originally Posted by Auto View Post
    Any one else training in the deep South? It is miserable. Ran 9 miles this morning, it was already 80 degrees and 90% humidity at 5 a.m. It looked like I jumped in a pool when I got home, left puddles in front of the fridge when I stopped to get some Gatorade out. I swore the last time that I ran a fall race that I wouldn't train in the heat again, but apparently I forgot and registered for the Air Force half marathon in September.
    My husband is. We're in Georgia and we hit 100 twice this week. He usually runs a few miles in the evenings after work and then a longer run on Saturday, but this heat has certainly been impacting his distance and his willingness to even venture out. Ugh. He's looking forward to training in the fall!

Oct '12 / June '13 - Vero Beach / Oct '13 / Oct '14 / Dec '14 / March '15 - DCL Fantasy / Oct '15 / Dec '15 / Jan '16 / April '16

I'm looking forward to more comfortable temps this fall. Was fitted for my new shoes and had my first run in them last night. Night/Day difference vs. my old shoes!

I'm sure lots of people in the south do the opposite -With heat & humidity high they stick to an air conditioned gym?
    If I can't get out before, say, 7 am, I'll stick to the treadmill for anything less than 5 miles. Otherwise I suck it up and carry a lot of water and Gatorade.

I love St John's too. Great party town.
    It's been a couple of years, but I used to know the order of every bar on George Street (favorites were Greensleeves, O'Reilly's, and Trapper John's) . At one point in my life the staff at the Murray Premises knew me on sight.
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." -- Ferris Bueller

WDW: 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2013, 2016
    DLP: 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017
    Disney Magic Mediterranean Cruise 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Auto View Post
    Any one else training in the deep South? It is miserable. Ran 9 miles this morning, it was already 80 degrees and 90% humidity at 5 a.m. It looked like I jumped in a pool when I got home, left puddles in front of the fridge when I stopped to get some Gatorade out. I swore the last time that I ran a fall race that I wouldn't train in the heat again, but apparently I forgot and registered for the Air Force half marathon in September.
    DH is. Yes, it is miserable. It's over 80 degrees by 7:00-7:30am. He tries to get his run in around 6:00, but it's still so humid!

High 40s/low 50s is my favorite running temp!!
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

I'm a southern runner. When temps drop below 55 I'm not happy. I know, I'm a big wuss. I'd rather run at noon in 90 degree temps
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by nolarookie View Post
    I'm a southern runner. When temps drop below 55 I'm not happy. I know, I'm a big wuss. I'd rather run at noon in 90 degree temps
    I'm a southern runner in a northern state. :) Below 60, I have to cover my ears or they hurt from the cold. Love 85 and sunny though!
    Tanya

I do like not long runs in the heat! I want to pick up my pace because during the half marathon when the sun comes up, it totally changes the race for me. I think I was around the back of GF in February when the sun came up and there is little to no shade on the course after that. If I were faster, I could do better at beating the sun :)
    Tricia

Anyone have a hydration belt that they would recommend?
    I'm on the "petite" side (5'4") so the single Nathan belt/bottle I have, feels like it goes half way up my back.
    I'd like to pick something up with several smaller bottles that I see lots of runners wearing but not sure which brand...
    Thoughts?
    ~Stacey

I have a fitletic one that I like. And you can get the little add-on things to add more than the 2 bottles it comes with, if you want. I have the Hydra 12 - which is two 6 oz bottles. Hydra 16 is, obviously, two 8 oz bottles.

http://fitletic.com/hydration-summary/
    Tanya

I'm petite and have a fuelbelt.com belt with 6 x 6 oz bottles that I've used for years (in fact I should probably get new bottles, who knows what's in the plastic). It's great for training runs in the country where there isn't anywhere to refill. The bottles are nicely distributed so weight really not noticeable.

My poor 25 year old niece was just telling me this weekend she now feels self concious using her water belt because of an article in runner's world saying the belts mark people as "newbies". Seriously? I told her fainting from dehydration is probably a greater sign of newbie-ness. And I'm ancient enough I'd be happy to be thought of as new at anything. I won't forget the Chicago marathon (2007?) where the water stations ran out of water. I doubt that would happen at Disney, but better to be prepared.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    I use a Fitletic belt as well - the Ultimate Running II belt. I have four of the 8 oz bottle holders but I usually only run with two at a time, and refill at water fountains along my strategically mapped-out route.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    My poor 25 year old niece was just telling me this weekend she now feels self concious using her water belt because of an article in runner's world saying the belts mark people as "newbies". Seriously? I told her fainting from dehydration is probably a greater sign of newbie-ness. And I'm ancient enough I'd be happy to be thought of as new at anything. I won't forget the Chicago marathon (2007?) where the water stations ran out of water. I doubt that would happen at Disney, but better to be prepared.
    That's weird. I see lots of runners wearing them. I run with a running group sometimes and on any run 8M or more you see everyone with them - especially in the summer.
    I'm lucky that I can plan most of my weekday runs to pass water fountains but unless I want to run in circles that's pretty hard to do for long runs.
    I can't imagine even the most experienced runner is out there for several hours without water. (Can you hear my morale outrage through my typing ;-) )
    Methinks RW may be risking an advertiser or 2 with content like that.
    ~Stacey

Just finished a 6 mile run... near the end I kept thinking about the mile markers during the half marathon and how I was just running through Frontierland... :)
    Tricia

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Darling View Post
    That's weird. I see lots of runners wearing them. I run with a running group sometimes and on any run 8M or more you see everyone with them - especially in the summer.
    I'm lucky that I can plan most of my weekday runs to pass water fountains but unless I want to run in circles that's pretty hard to do for long runs.
    I can't imagine even the most experienced runner is out there for several hours without water. (Can you hear my morale outrage through my typing ;-) )
    Methinks RW may be risking an advertiser or 2 with content like that.
    I hadn't even thought about the advertising implications. Whenever I read some bone headed advice in a magazine I think back to the journalist I dated years ago. People writing articles are often not overly qualified to be writing about the subject, and many times are just trying to come up with something, anything, to meet a deadline. It must be 10 times worse now with all the Internet "journalism".

I didn't read the article myself (reading magazine articles is about item number 9999 on my list of things to do). Maybe they were just being specific to races? The experienced elite runners rely on water stations and don't carry water themselves? And I know there was a period when there were several cases of people over hydrating and becoming hyponatremic. But regardless of what they meant she didn't read it that way. She's a reasonably intelligent person so I would guess she isn't the only person to get a not-so-helpful message.

Signed up for the tinkerbell half. Only ever did 5 or 10 K before. In Canada so often forget about the miles vs Kilometer thing. Sometimes the treadmills at the gym are set for Kilometers and I get so excited that I've run so far or so fast before I realize it.
    Tink 1/2 Marathon May 2016, 2015 Disney Wonder, Nov 2015 POP, Sept 2015 1st DL trip, 2014 Aug POP, 2013 Jan Offsite, 2012 Aug POR, 2010 July CSR, 2009 Nov CSR, 2009 Apr AKL, 2008 Aug POR, 2007 Aug ASMu , 1997 Offsite, 1996 Honeymoon Disney Institute, numerous childhood Fort Wilderness trips.

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post

I've got a full schedule come fall/winter
    Sept: Rochester Marathon, :D
    I'm training for Rochester too! I have to do 19 miles in the morning. This will be my second full (five halfs). Planning on Disney full in January 2017!

My son just texted me! STAR WARS is finally coming to the East coast! Hooray! We did the rebel challenge last year and it was one of my favorites.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...sneySports0118
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Kimann View Post
    My son just texted me! STAR WARS is finally coming to the East coast! Hooray! We did the rebel challenge last year and it was one of my favorites.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...sneySports0118
    Awesome! So wish I could swing this for 2016. Love the Kessel run challenge!!
    ~Stacey