Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: RunDisney Team easyWDW

Quote Originally Posted by goofyfan6698 View Post
    Cute shoes! Were you fitted and that's how you chose them?
    I fit shoes for a living, so technically I was fitted. LOL.
    Oct 2009 - Off-site | Aug 2014 - Pop! | Sept 2015 - POR!! |Feb 2016 - Pop! *Girl's Trip* | Feb 2018 - POFQ? *Sibling trip*

Quote Originally Posted by Auto View Post
    Have any of the runDisney vets done the Pasta in the Park? Debating if we should spring for another "why not."
    We discussed it and talked with some other runners from that weekend. It seems that the only big plus is being able to get into the park, which for those who may not have park tickets is a plus. But people, like us, who have tickets or Annual Passes look at the idea of eating at 7:00 the night before getting up early and say "No way!" Most of us will be eating at around 5:00, and watching Illuminations from our balcony in our jammies, not in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by sheilashoelady View Post
    I fit shoes for a living, so technically I was fitted. LOL.
    Oh, right! I've never been fitted so this will be a new experience.

Quote Originally Posted by goofyfan6698 View Post
    Oh, right! I've never been fitted so this will be a new experience.
    I feel like getting fitted by someone who knows what they're talking about is SO important. I never knew that I over-pronated (or what that was) until speaking with a sales associate at a running store. When I got the right pair of sneakers, I felt like I was fixed! I've gone running in other shoes before and totally feel the difference in my stride and how my foot lands. I know I need a shoe with a lot of support, but some people can run in those shoes that look like feet and have no problems. Everyone is built different and runs differently!
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/dreambuildertricia

Quote Originally Posted by beachta1 View Post
    I feel like getting fitted by someone who knows what they're talking about is SO important. I never knew that I over-pronated (or what that was) until speaking with a sales associate at a running store. When I got the right pair of sneakers, I felt like I was fixed! I've gone running in other shoes before and totally feel the difference in my stride and how my foot lands. I know I need a shoe with a lot of support, but some people can run in those shoes that look like feet and have no problems. Everyone is built different and runs differently!
    That is exactly what I spend my days doing. So I completely agree. I have very different feet than a majority of the population, and I have only found this one pair that my gait isn't thrown off. New favorite shoes.
    Oct 2009 - Off-site | Aug 2014 - Pop! | Sept 2015 - POR!! |Feb 2016 - Pop! *Girl's Trip* | Feb 2018 - POFQ? *Sibling trip*

That is exactly what I spend my days doing. So I completely agree. I have very different feet than a majority of the population, and I have only found this one pair that my gait isn't thrown off. New favorite shoes.
    Sheila - can I ask where in PA you are? Maybe even just which county? I need a new running sneak ;)

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyW View Post
    Sheila - can I ask where in PA you are? Maybe even just which county? I need a new running sneak ;)
    Just outside of Harrisburg :)

Just outside of Harrisburg :)
    Ooh, slightly too far for me. Any recs for running shoe company in Berks/Montgomery/Chester counties? Thx!!

Ooh, slightly too far for me. Any recs for running shoe company in Berks/Montgomery/Chester counties? Thx!!
    Not sure how close they are to you, but either North Wales running company, or Bryn Mawr running co. They should be able to do a full gait analysis, and provide you with a range of options. If those aren't convenient, I can look into other places :)

Not sure how close they are to you, but either North Wales running company, or Bryn Mawr running co. They should be able to do a full gait analysis, and provide you with a range of options. If those aren't convenient, I can look into other places :)
    North Wales is not too far - THANK YOU!

North Wales is not too far - THANK YOU!
    You're welcome. Let us know what works for you! I'm always interested to see :)

This thread is motivating me to start running again. An excuse for another Disney trip is a great motivator! Just run/walking to start. Only 4 miles today and already feeling twinge of shin splints so going tomorrow to get fit for better shoes. And as long as I'm at the running store, might as well look at GPS watches. My last watch is an ancient polar HR monitor with chest strap that didn't do mileage. Any advice on watches? My needs are simple but I'd like to have HR and accurate mileage.

I like my Garmin Forerunner 10.

Looking at official runDisney site and not finding a lot of detailed information. I'm too late to sign up for marathon weekend (half) or princess half. Wondering when registration opens for wine and dine half 2016. Also, can anyone direct me to online discussion or site specific to runDisney that you've found helpful?

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    I registered for W&D 2015 in February, so I'd guess February 2016? There are many Facebook groups devoted to runDisney including #TeamRunDisney.

I am doing the Dopey Challenge. It will be my 1st rundisney event. I'm pretty nervous. I'm an on again off again runner. I've run 1 full marathon a few years ago(5:25) eeek but I just wanted to finish. I've ran several half marathons, my fastest was this May(2:05). So, I have submitted that time to rundisney. Does anyone know if that will place me somewhere near the middle. I'm just hoping not to be in the last few corrals. I'm going to need as much time as possible for the full lol!!

Would love to hear what people's favorite runDisney event/race is and what you've enjoyed about it.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nicole1610 View Post
    I am doing the Dopey Challenge. It will be my 1st rundisney event. I'm pretty nervous. I'm an on again off again runner. I've run 1 full marathon a few years ago(5:25) eeek but I just wanted to finish. I've ran several half marathons, my fastest was this May(2:05). So, I have submitted that time to rundisney. Does anyone know if that will place me somewhere near the middle. I'm just hoping not to be in the last few corrals. I'm going to need as much time as possible for the full lol!!
    Congrats! You should be pretty solidly in the middle, probably I or J (I think it goes to P).

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Would love to hear what people's favorite runDisney event/race is and what you've enjoyed about it.
    Wine & Dine Half Marathon hands down. Night race. Three parks in 13.1 miles. Osborne Lights. Epcot After-party.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

This thread is motivating me to start running again. An excuse for another Disney trip is a great motivator! Just run/walking to start. Only 4 miles today and already feeling twinge of shin splints so going tomorrow to get fit for better shoes. And as long as I'm at the running store, might as well look at GPS watches. My last watch is an ancient polar HR monitor with chest strap that didn't do mileage. Any advice on watches? My needs are simple but I'd like to have HR and accurate mileage.
    Definitely go to a running specialty store to get fitted if you haven't bought shoes in a while. The models change so much over several seasons its hard to keep up. You may have ramped up too fast also. Adding walk breaks can let you ease into a new training cycle and still allow you to do the distances you want while stretching out your lower legs during the walk portion. Just a thought.

The Garmin 10 & 15 look really nice, and the price is right, but my pet peeve is that they only display 2 things at a time. (e.g. pace & time or distance & pace) I'm spoiled by my ancient Garmin that displays all 3 and I think, if you have the budget, its a really nice feature. There's one with the HR in the wrist strap that I've been eyeing. Definitely pricey though. I haven't been able to justify the cost yet, when mine works fine - except for the fact that its roughly the size of a grandfather clock!

You're other question - I've only done the Wine & Dine, Tink half & Neverland 5k and I've loved them all. I'm more of a night owl so, the Wine & Dine suits me much better than the races with early wake up calls.

So excited about how many easyWDWers are runners! Who knew!!

I did 5.5 on the treadmill yesterday in an hour... feeling ready for that half (haha).
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/dreambuildertricia

My daughter and I are signed up for the Princess 5K in Feb 2016. I've never run before, and plan to be VERY careful with training. I get plantar faciitis very easily. Looking forward to following this thread.

Wow. I go on vacation for 12 days and look what I missed. :)
    As requested in another thread, here's some answers that were posted there:

Not sure what other guidance I can give. I started running after our third kid was born to get back into shape. But sort of got bored with it. So I needed a goal. What better goal than a Half marathon at WDW?! I had over a year to train for it, which was nice. I'd recommend at least 6 months - 9 is better - to prepare for a Half marathon. 9-12 for a full. Only because the older I get, the more stupid injuries that happen. Low and slow is the name of the game until you find your comfortable pace and then, should you choose, to start to work on speed and distance. That's my approach anyway. I'm quite sure others have trained in much shorter time frames! Or basically, if you've been running since January then you've got a good base to start with. You could likely start throwing in some longer distances right now and be ready for a half by mid-late August. But, like I said, I always allow for injury and recovery time because you never know......

Follow a training program for a race. Most are 12-18 weeks long, depending on Half or Full. Disney endorses Jeff Galloway. He has training programs you can find right on the runDisney site for each specific race. His focus is on the run/walk/run method, which I do too. But, I don't know, his programs seem to be strange. His mid-week runs aren't enough distance for his weekend long runs. It just doesn't jive for me. He's got excellent tips in there specific to rD races, so that's a bonus. But I follow (for the most part) Hal Higdon. He's got more mid week running that just makes more sense to me. Helps build up the miles for the weekend long runs. Galloway also has your longest run going over the actual race distance which is very unnecessary. Higdon has you reaching just below the actual race distance which is just simply easier. There are certainly other training programs to follow as well. Now that I've been actively running for 8 years, I've sort of made up my own program for upcoming races. Like I said, I run/walk/run and used to really follow a ratio for that. I used to run 4 minutes walk 1 minute. But lately, I've been trying to just run as much as I can and just take walking breaks when I feel I need it. I just limit said break to 1 minute tops, or shorter if I've recovered enough. My point is, there's no rules to follow. Running is an experiment of one (quoted from a coach), what works for me may not work for you! I sort of combine Higdon with a little Galloway and come up with my own program. And be sure to throw in back-to-back long runs if I'm doing a Challenge.

runDisney races. Registration is crazy these days. When I started, it didn't used to be. You could wait until just months before the race if you wanted to. But ever since the Dumbo Double Dare of 2013 (which I was part of), it sold out in record time which rD had never seen before and took a lot of us by surprise. Runners who missed out were pissed. So now, it seems, for every race runners are at their computer, fingers hovering over the keyboards, ready to pounce the second the clock turns over to 11am central (I see you're in MN!). And even then it's not guaranteed you'll get in as of late because they've added like a virtual queue or something. If you are DVC or AP holder, you can pre-register one or two weeks prior to regular registration, but even that sells out just as fast. (by sells out, I mean there are only x number of spots open for pre-registration. Once they're filled, they're filled.) Some races don't sell out immediately. You can still register for Avengers Half in DL and the Full in January right now if you want! The Challenges seem to sell out first (multiple races run on consecutive days).

Alternatively, you can register via a certain list of travel providers found on the rD website. rD sells them a certain number of bibs for some races and then you purchase a complete package from them with race registration, hotel, and park tickets. You can do this usually prior to the public registration date and it's much less stress. Sometimes you can get a discounted/decent price on the hotel portion, but not always. I actually did this for Avengers because I knew I wouldn't be available for registration day due to my kid's field trip that I was chaperoning! So it's sort of handy if you know you can't register on registration day. And some races have sold out in 30 minutes or so. So if you know you can't be at your computer right at 11am on registration day, look into using a travel provider.

Chris, aka DopeyRunr, is another active rD guy on here. Hopefully he'll chime in with some thoughts. Tricia, beachta1, who just posted above has also run the Princess Half. I know there are other active runners on here, I just can't remember them right now. goofyfan, Auto, nicole are other names that I think have run rD races before, but can't really remember. Any other questions - just ask! Happy running.

And this from a Princess Half specific question:

How crazy are the busses? When do you really need to be on them (especially if you are an 11 minute girl on a fast day like me)?
    The earlier you can get to the buses, the less tress. Tricia's right - 3:45 is perfect. Don't go any later than that though. I've gone closer to 4 and the line is like 100 deep. They send more buses, you won't miss the race. But it just adds more unnecessary stress to the start of your day.

How fast do they let the different corrals start going?
    Elite runners start at 5:30. Total corrals are A-P. A-C have the fastest runners and least number of people, 50-150 per corral. C-roughly E has pretty fast runners and more people, 200-400 per corral. After F, the corrals are packed with more more and more with the last 3 or 4 corrals with 1000 per corral. I'm an 11 minute girl myself and am usually in the middle somewhere. Plan that you'll be crossing the start line around 6:10 or so. Maybe earlier, maybe later, but roughly 6:10. If you're concerned for time, head to your corral as soon as you're ready (I'd say no later than 5am) so that you're at the front of your corral and among the first of the 700 or whatever people to cross when your corral is released. It does make a difference. There are port-a-potties near the last corrals so no need to get caught up in the long lines in the pre-race area. You will see men and yes, even ladies, making last minute runs into the woods prior to the race too! The first few corrals are released roughly 3-5 minutes apart because they are so small. As it goes further back, they are released 5-8 minutes apart or so.

How often are there characters along the course?
    You could say roughly every mile or so there is some form of entertainment - either characters or local marching bands or other things. There are longer stretches of nothingness though, so be prepared for that. They used to put up a sign at the Expo with the characters out on the course and their locations. Not sure if they do that anymore. But the highest concentration of characters is inside MK. Lines will be for those characters. If you have your heart set on 1 or 2, then go for it. The longest I've waited is about 7 minutes. Literally you take your pic and then leave, most runners do try to be fast with it. There's also a few infront of Grand Floridian, after you exit MK. There's a few prior to entering Epcot as well, at the end. As you go up World Drive at miles 1-2 there are a few and those first ones see the longest lines. Skip those - because they are still there when you return to World Drive again at miles 8-9! And the lines are shorter - and by then there's daylight too which makes for a better phone picture. ;)

Where is a good place to go for moisture wicking, non-chaffing princess costumes?
    I can't answer this as I sort of just create my own based on color. And I'm cheap.

Is food available before the race at all (like bagels)?
    Yes, hotel food courts (at least at values and mods - as that's my only experience) will have limited things for sale in the morning. I'd just recommend to buy your food the day before and eat while getting dressed though. And yes, there's limited choices for food purchase at the pre-race area as well, but unless you know you can actually eat and process food that close to race time.... I don't do it.

How crazy is the expo and how much time should I plan for us to pick up packets and do a little bit of shopping (not a big shopping girl, but not sure if I will ever do disney races again...)?
    Lately the Expos are crazy first thing at open. The insane ones rope drop it and purchase things like mad and then re-sell it on eBay. Yep. rD will post on the parks blog and/or twitter the merch that is expected to be for sale a week or so prior to the race. If you have your heart set on something, be prepared for some cranky crabby witchy shoppers in the morning of the first day of the Expo. Hot ticket items are the running jackets, car magnets, and other little trinket type things. Some of the shirts go fast too. If you don't care much, but still want a good selection, go after lunch time on the first day. I've been in and out in roughly 45 minutes before and also been there for 2 hours before. Depends on how busy it is, how long the line is to actually purchase the stuff after you've shopped, and how much you actually take the time for shopping!

i've run big races before (nike 15k, rock n roll dc half, etc) as well as small races- just wondering about overall feel and details- and any pitching one might not think of before hand that is good to know :)
    If you've done a Rock n roll half, then you're well prepared, I think! The princess race is overwhelmingly full of women, some of which are very much PMS'ing (sorry josh, if you read this). I'm just saying, be prepared for some rude, catty, witchy comments. Cuz it happens. Just let it roll off your back and try your best to have fun with it!

OH! Likely the best advice regarding Disney races: you do not run Disney for a PR. Don't even worry about your time! These races are all about the fun. There are some places on the course where it narrows and you just cannot pass anybody. It's OK. Just slow down and enjoy it for the time being! These are also the spots where those crabby ones will show their true colors and you may get pushed or elbow hit a few times. It happens in any crowded race, so it's not a big deal.

Also - the photographers along the course. You will also have some runners jump out infront of you and/or completely cut you off just so they can get in front of the photographer for a picture of themselves. :roooollll eyes: It's so stupid. Again, don't let it get to you! If you want to, just turn around (out of traffic) and go back again to get your own pictures.

While I haven't driven for Princess, I have for January's marathon weekend and it's the same set up. Basically, the later you leave the busier the roads and traffic will be. I ran Dopey this past January (4 consecutive early race mornings) and drove each day from Wyndham Bonnett Creek. Being directly behind CBR, it's about as close as an off property can get though. For the Half (and full) marathon, I left around 3:15am and had no traffic whatsoever. In 2011, we rented a house in Windsor Hills and my husband dropped me off (so I can't comment on actually parking since there is a dedicated drop-off area). We didn't leave the house until closer to 4am and there was quite a bit of traffic. Not so much that we came to a dead stop on the roads, but we were crawling at about 10-15 mph. After he veered off to the right to the drop off area, I noticed that those who were wanting to park were at a dead stop after the Epcot parking booths. So - the earlier the better!! You can always sit and wait in your car rather than stand around for 2+ hours waiting for the race to start.

Keep in mind it's roughly a 1 mile slow zombie shuffle to the corrals from the pre race area.

Also - I forgot to mention earlier - bring throw away clothes if it's cold (which it likely will be). Waiting around for 2 hours in the pre-dawn of Orlando can be very cold, especially due to the humidity. I've waited pre-race in temps anywhere from 28 to 65. Bring along any old long sleeve shirts/sweatshirts/blankets you are willing to donate. Toss them to the side either right before the race starts, or anywhere along the course. They pick it all up and donate to local shelters. Lest we forget, Disney on Ice, 2010. The race when it snowed/sleeted. Big black garbage bags are a great, cheap windbreaker too.

Yikes, that's a lot of rambling.

Tanya

Medals received : 08 WDW Half ~ 10 Princess Half + 10 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 11 WDW Full ~ 11 Wine & Dine Half ~ 12 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 12 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 13 Half + Full = GOOFY ~ 13 Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare + C2C ~ 14 January Marathon Volunteer ~ 14 ToT 10 miler ~ 15 DOPEY Challenge ~ 15 Avengers ~ 17 cxld Half ~ 2017 DLParis

Medals pending : 2021 Star Wars, 2023 Glass Slipper + Tink

look what Touring Plans posted this week
    http://blog.touringplans.com/2015/08...ey/#more-94270

Any one else training in the deep South? It is miserable. Ran 9 miles this morning, it was already 80 degrees and 90% humidity at 5 a.m. It looked like I jumped in a pool when I got home, left puddles in front of the fridge when I stopped to get some Gatorade out. I swore the last time that I ran a fall race that I wouldn't train in the heat again, but apparently I forgot and registered for the Air Force half marathon in September.
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." -- Ferris Bueller

WDW: 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2013, 2016
    DLP: 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017
    Disney Magic Mediterranean Cruise 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Auto View Post
    Any one else training in the deep South? It is miserable. Ran 9 miles this morning, it was already 80 degrees and 90% humidity at 5 a.m. It looked like I jumped in a pool when I got home, left puddles in front of the fridge when I stopped to get some Gatorade out. I swore the last time that I ran a fall race that I wouldn't train in the heat again, but apparently I forgot and registered for the Air Force half marathon in September.
    I'm in Houston and training in the summer is brutal. Hopefully all the hard work will mean we will be much stronger in the fall --- or at least that is what I tell myself to make me feel better.
    ~Ana~

Follow me on Twitter @abfallas

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. " ~ Mark Twain