Thread: California Grill Review

California Grill Review

California Grill, love you. I made 9:15pm reservations for Monday night. I knew I could probably be seated at the bar without a reservation, but I wanted to make sure I could get up there for a meal and to catch Wishes! I parked at the Contemporary, they never asked to confirm my reservation or ask any questions. They checked my ID at the gate and let me in. I love walking into the lobby at the Contemporary, that smell is incredible. I headed up to the check-in desk, got my buzzer and took the elevator up. Since it was just me, when I got upstairs, I turned in my buzzer and just went to the bar. My server was wonderful; I really enjoyed chatting with him. The view was just amazing from up there; I couldnít help but keep looking around the entire time I was sitting there! I ordered the vodka martini; the olives were so delicious!! To start, I ordered the tomato salad. It was not cheap but I really enjoyed it. It is not something that I would typically order so I was happy to try something new. For my main course, I had the California roll. The pieces were big and it was very fresh and delicious. I was really happy with the service; the waiter did not rush me at all. When I was having my salad, he said just to let him know when I was ready for the sushi, he wasnít just throwing it at me. Right around 10pm, I grabbed my purse and my drink and headed outside for the fireworks! Wishes started about 10 minutes late; supposedly they were having sound issues. I really loved watching the show from up there! It made me tear up a little bit. I donít ever want to watch from the park anymore, having the view and not dealing with the crowds was just ideal. I loved the meal, I loved the view, I loved California Grill! Some pictures:

Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/dreambuildertricia

What a great night!
    Marti Mac

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    That's about the same thing I always order at CG when I go to sit at the bar: martini (or two, or three) and California Roll!

I more often than not find someone to chat with. Last time I met the president of Buena Vista Construction, whose company does all the major construction projects around WDW (hub construction, Avatarland, DTD parking garages, TSMM/DHS expansion, removal of The Hat, etc.), so that was a major score! I now have his business card and a direct line to "secret" info. You never know who you're going to meet!
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

I sat next to a couple from New Jersey for awhile who were on their honeymoon! I felt bad, they didn't seem to be having the best time/very relaxed. I tried not to chat them too much since they're on their honeymoon but they talked to me a fair amount. I really hope the week turns around for them...

Those martinis were SO good. To me, its all about the olives. When they're cheese-filled and the entire olive is a little soft from sitting in the vodka, its the best thing ever.
    Tricia

Yum! Hoping to attach another dinner there to a Bay Lake stay.

I have a very mixed review. The potential for a special night was there. Food was delicious. Ambience when we walked in was spectacular.

However, the waitress was abrupt and rude. My daughter and I tend to share large meals, following months of dieting. Every other restaurant in WDW was very accommodating. The Cali Grill waitress looked at me as if I was trying to be cheap. It was more about having a smaller appetite after losing weight. We were on the Disney Dining Plan, and we were eating a lot more food than we were used to. Anyway, her snooty attitude took away from the evening. I also felt rushed so that she could turn our table.

What saved the night was the stunning fireworks on the left balcony. Watching the Frozen Fireworks in Hollywood followed by Magic Kingdoms from that vantage point was spectacular.

I'm hesitant about returning this trip. Perhaps the next since we have other options to watch the fireworks.

Quote Originally Posted by Summerdisney View Post
    I have a very mixed review. The potential for a special night was there. Food was delicious. Ambience when we walked in was spectacular.

However, the waitress was abrupt and rude. My daughter and I tend to share large meals, following months of dieting. Every other restaurant in WDW was very accommodating. The Cali Grill waitress looked at me as if I was trying to be cheap. It was more about having a smaller appetite after losing weight. We were on the Disney Dining Plan, and we were eating a lot more food than we were used to. Anyway, her snooty attitude took away from the evening. I also felt rushed so that she could turn our table.

What saved the night was the stunning fireworks on the left balcony. Watching the Frozen Fireworks in Hollywood followed by Magic Kingdoms from that vantage point was spectacular.

I'm hesitant about returning this trip. Perhaps the next since we have other options to watch the fireworks.
    Im sorry you had a bad experience. I'm wondering if they frowned upon it since its a x2 dining credit spot. Either way, not cool you weren't treated well.
    Tricia