Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1757656667
Results 1,651 to 1,661 of 1661

Thread: Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

Quote Originally Posted by jillyb View Post
    Our local Orchestra did this last year with Fantasia. It was awesome!
    Oh I bet Fantasia would be amazing!
    Jen

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nolarookie View Post
    Saw Isn’t It Romantic— very funny
    With an orchestra?!
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Finally got to see Ladybird a couple of nights ago.

My initial impression after it was over that it reminded me of a combination of the Coen Bros and an early Wes Anderson flick. It was superb technically and the acting was great. I also felt that it captured that period of time better without being overly nostalgic.

My own complaint and it isn't really a complaint against the film but more a statement about me, is that I kept waiting for "something" to happen.
    I am @GrtBigBeautiful on DizTwitter

Quote Originally Posted by Strangeite View Post
    Finally got to see Ladybird a couple of nights ago.

My initial impression after it was over that it reminded me of a combination of the Coen Bros and an early Wes Anderson flick. It was superb technically and the acting was great. I also felt that it captured that period of time better without being overly nostalgic.

My own complaint and it isn't really a complaint against the film but more a statement about me, is that I kept waiting for "something" to happen.
    I thought she went through a nice character arc, finding fulfillment in her own way in the end. Not much different than Rushmore, if you think about it. These character-driven stories are rarely about plot, rather, development. I really liked it.

Beanie Feldstein was very good as her sometimes-best friend, and was excellent in Booksmart just recently.

Fun story: Barry (Moonlight, If Beale Street...) Jenkins debuted Moonlight at Telluride in the first showing of the fest. A year later, after all his success, Ladybird premiered in the same slot, and he came back to introduce Greta, Saorise, Laurie, Tracey, etc., and the film, telling us that the time slot turned out to be very lucky for his success.

Stupid Judy.

Six of us saw Lion King today...4 of which were children ages 6 & 7. Everyone loved it! My son proclaimed it was the best movie and was so glad we saw it on his 6 1/2 birthday. My mom and I teared up several times and we hope to see it again. The audience as a whole was very diverse in ages and every one was singing the movies praises as we all left the theatre.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by deedee73 View Post
    Six of us saw Lion King today...4 of which were children ages 6 & 7. Everyone loved it! My son proclaimed it was the best movie and was so glad we saw it on his 6 1/2 birthday. My mom and I teared up several times and we hope to see it again. The audience as a whole was very diverse in ages and every one was singing the movies praises as we all left the theatre.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    We saw it yesterday too & liked it a lot. Almost identical to the original. It had a few new jokes that kept it a little fresh, a little more character development for Nala and was beautifully done. My 15yo (who probably watched the original 100 times from age 3 to 5 and insisted we call her Simba half the time back then) and her 13yo sister both declared it a success.
    ~Stacey

My kids enjoyed the new Lion King. It was a fine way to pass the time. I feel like a curmudgeon, but the music and voices weren't as good as the original. If you gave me a choice I'd rather see the original again on the big screen.

I saw Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood. I'm not sure how to talk about the film because a significant part of my thoughts/feelings on it revolved around a central aspect of it.

I actually wrote a vague review here. When I read it back, I was concerned it said too much, so I removed it.

I can see now why Tarantino kept talking about Inglorious Basterds in interviews leading up to this film release. I didn't understand that before seeing it, but it makes sense now.

I tend to avoid reading reviews before I see something, but sometimes check after. Here are a couple of quotes from reviews I thought were funny.

outrageous, disorientating, irresponsible, and also brilliant
    Big, brash, ridiculous, too long, and in the end invigorating

Quote Originally Posted by Not That Josh View Post
    I saw Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood. I'm not sure how to talk about the film because a significant part of my thoughts/feelings on it revolved around a central aspect of it.

I actually wrote a vague review here. When I read it back, I was concerned it said too much, so I removed it.

I can see now why Tarantino kept talking about Inglorious Basterds in interviews leading up to this film release. I didn't understand that before seeing it, but it makes sense now.

I tend to avoid reading reviews before I see something, but sometimes check after. Here are a couple of quotes from reviews I thought were funny.
    I really enjoyed it too, meandering plot and all. It's very much Tarantino's view of late-60s Hollywood, and says a lot about his (presumed) belief in the power of movies and TV. It is very much a fairy tale, as evidenced by the title, and the period detail is exceptional. I found it challenging and fun.

Stupid Judy.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I really enjoyed it too, meandering plot and all. It's very much Tarantino's view of late-60s Hollywood, and says a lot about his (presumed) belief in the power of movies and TV. It is very much a fairy tale, as evidenced by the title, and the period detail is exceptional. I found it challenging and fun.
    Fairy tale and love letter were phrases that kept coming to mind while I watched and after. It felt different from Tarantino's movies in a way I can't describe but definitely experienced.

Caught “Blinded by the Light” on discount Tuesday with my teenagers today. Although it moved slowly at times, overall it exceeded all of our expectations and prompted some very good conversations at the dinner table. Recommended.