Page 65 of 66 FirstFirst ... 155563646566 LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 1645

Thread: Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

Thanks for sharing!! My 11 year old loved this.

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    Spoiler-free Avengers Endgame Review: It was really good.
    iT WAS AWESOME!!! I laughed, I cried, I cheered! DD didn't like the ending. She said she's done with Marvel lol
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
    November 2010 @ Pop Century
    August 2016 @ Pop Century
    August 2017 @ DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando at Seaworld
    May 2019 @ All-Stars Movies
    August 2019 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

I don't imagine there is any way to discuss specifics safely, but I really liked the movie overall and I liked a lot of the little things they did with it.
    Last edited by Not That Josh; 04-28-2019 at 07:42 PM.

$1.2 Billion in ticket sales for End Game. Thatís amazing.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Diane is a quietly effective new film by comedy writer-turned-Director Kent Jones (Hitchcock/Truffaut). Mary Kay Place gives a wonderfully subdued performance of an upper-middle-aged woman going through the motions of her mundane life in a depressed upstate New York town, caring after and visiting friends and family. It’s so refreshing to see a realistic portrayal of a segment of society everyone knows about, and the performances are all spot-on and deeply realized. Catch it in larger markets, or stream it. It’ll stay with you for a long time after.

Last edited by George; 04-29-2019 at 11:22 PM.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

The other day Big Girl asked to borrow my NYT subscription so she could read Niki Lauda's obituary. I asked who's Niki Lauda. She told me he was a famous Formula 1 driver. I asked when did you start following Formula 1, and she said ever since she saw the movie Rush (2013) a few months ago. Apparently it's a hit with some of her engineering school buddies. I never heard of it.

Anyway, she had bought it on iTunes so I watched it over Memorial Day weekend. It's a Ron Howard film about the rivalry between Lauda, who was Austrian, and an English driver James Hunt. It covers how they met in the lower racing leagues, both rose to F1 and then focuses on the 1976 F1 season. Apart from Chris Hemsworth playing Hunt, most of the male actors are supporting cast regulars, and more prevalent in European productions than American. You might recognize them from here or there but mostly not I think. Lauda is played by Daniel BrŁhl who I never heard of but was featured in The Alienist TV series, Inglorious Basterds, and a bit part in Captain America Civil War. A few of the women who play wives and girlfriends are better known.

But the story is very well told. It is different from most sports movies in that the 2 rivals are treated as co-protagonists, and it is hard to guess who will win the 1976 championship if you do not already know. Arguably the protagonist was not one person but the relationship between Hunt and Lauda, a mix of rivalry and friendship between 2 very different personalities. Hunt was a prototypical crass and carefree playboy race car driver. Lauda was a less attractive, highly disciplined grinder. I don't know if it's available streaming anywhere without a rental fee, but I recommend it even if you have to shell out a few bucks.

I'm also now kind of intrigued by F1.

Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

Booksmart is an exceptionally wise, and sometimes raunchy, end-of-high school teen comedy, earning its spot in the rarified company of Risky Business and Dazed and Confused. Two best friends who are the top of their class navigate the night before high school graduation, determined to enjoy the partying that had eluded them during their high school careers. As with all good teen comedies, this shows the hard truths of coming of age and saying goodbye to one part of life while facing the scary future. The story is ultimately bittersweet and sensitively handled. Did I mention it’s also very funny very often?

Stupid Judy.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Booksmart is getting such great reviews, my wife and I are excited to see it. We're not sure about taking our 16-year-old daughter though. Not so much because of the content, but more about how uncomfortable we'd all be watching it together!
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Booksmart is getting such great reviews, my wife and I are excited to see it. We're not sure about taking our 16-year-old daughter though. Not so much because of the content, but more about how uncomfortable we'd all be watching it together!
    I think it's totally fine for a 16 year-old. Without parents.

Stupid Judy.

I’m so looking forward to Booksmart, which is odd for me since I definitely have been leaning towards movies that are just straight brain candy, for the past several years.
    Brandi

I tried to see Booksmart the last two weekends, but I wasn't able to go. I finally saw it today and I really liked it. I can't call a movie perfect, but it was really close. I liked everything about it.

Toy Story 4 is more of the same ol', which is to say that audiences will eat it up. It's marginally better than The Incredibles 2, but that's damning with faint praise. The franchise (just having to write that word is a bad thing) has given up all its juice. It's tiresome to know that it needs to hit all its marks, and lo and behold, it does. Skillfully, as you'd expect from Pixar, but so by-the-numbers. It's not without merits, but we've seen it all before. Three times before. I was unmoved.

Stupid Judy.

he's right
    I confess I thought #3 was the best of the bunch, as I was ugly-crying two different times, and didn't so much as once with #1 or #2.

And while I assume that George is right on the money here, at least it is not Yet Another Cars Movie.

he's right
    Each summer, Michigan Stadium hosts a free movie night. Football season ticket holders can watch from the field, and they open the seats for everyone else. This year's is tomorrow, showing Spider-Verse. I'm not sure if we are going, but we do have tickets...maybe an audible, though I haven't seen it yet and very much want to at some point.

https://mgoblue.com/sb_output.aspx?form=13

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    Each summer, Michigan Stadium hosts a free movie night. Football season ticket holders can watch from the field, and they open the seats for everyone else. This year's is tomorrow, showing Spider-Verse. I'm not sure if we are going, but we do have tickets...maybe an audible, though I haven't seen it yet and very much want to at some point.

https://mgoblue.com/sb_output.aspx?form=13
    We REALLY enjoyed it. The animation is amazing and the writing is very funny. It makes me wish Miller/Lord were able to finish their vision of Solo.

I very much enjoyed Spider-Verse as well, especially after the other versions showed up. IMO it dragged just a bit until then, though I think that's probably a minority opinion. I just didn't take to the main character's origin story, though I found him engaging once it got going.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

For those of us not fortunate enough to be in Michigan, Into the Spider-Verse hits Netflix next week (6/26). I haven't seen it yet, so I can't wait!

May be computer illiterate, but I figured out how to set my user title myself when no one else could!! magic1106's Avatar
    Iím a little late in this but I just watched Ralph Breaks the Internet(RBI) on Netflix
    It was as cheesy and predictable as expected but I still thoroughly enjoyed it.
    I was exhausted and overwhelmed by life and RBI was just what I needed to relax and have a little laugh. The princesses were hilarious and their snark made me forget it was a Disney movie.

Finally saw Booksmart, and although it was really funny throughout, I was expecting uproarious laughter, which it had only in parts. It also had an emotional/sensitive current throughout which made it a MUCH better film, perhaps owing to the female director.

And while my 16-year old would definitely enjoy it, there is NO WAY ANY OF US would have enjoyed it in each others' company. :D

Finally saw Booksmart, and although it was really funny throughout, I was expecting uproarious laughter, which it had only in parts. It also had an emotional/sensitive current throughout which made it a MUCH better film, perhaps owing to the female director.

And while my 16-year old would definitely enjoy it, there is NO WAY ANY OF US would have enjoyed it in each others' company. :D
    I'm not a big laugher in movies; for me, funny is more about character than situation (I was probably about a half hour into TS4 before I eked out a chortle, and there weren't very many more after that), but this movie had it in spades.

And yeah about seeing this with my parents/spawn.

Stupid Judy.

Yesterday was utterly charming and fun and, no swipe, light as a cream puff. A struggling musician who can’t get a break is hit by a bus during a short freak global blackout, and awakens to a world where The Beatles don’t exist. He sees his chance at success by passing off their canon as his own. A more nihilistic screenwriter could come up with all kinds of dark chaos effect notions (see: Stephen King’s 11/22/63), but this premise was given the full romantic comedy/musical fantasy treatment it deserves, save for one scene near the end that’s simultaneously funny and unbearably moving. I’d highly recommend it.

Stupid Judy.

I LOVE the premise (probably helps that I'm a big Beatles fan) and was disappointed to see so many critics give it middling-at-best reviews.

There's an interesting story in the WSJ about the guy who came up with the premise but whose screenplay went unsold for several years, before being bought, rewritten and produced: https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-now...s&page=1&pos=2

I LOVE the premise (probably helps that I'm a big Beatles fan) and was disappointed to see so many critics give it middling-at-best reviews.

There's an interesting story in the WSJ about the guy who came up with the premise but whose screenplay went unsold for several years, before being bought, rewritten and produced: https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-now...s&page=1&pos=2

And it’s family-friendly too!

Interesting article.

Stupid Judy.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    And it’s family-friendly too!
    That probably depends upon how willing your 16-year old is sit through two hours of Beatles music (in our case, not very). ;)

We finally saw TS4 last night and while the rest of us enjoyed it fine, my 13-year-old now feels like his childhood was ruined by the ending. I'm pretty sure he's going to end up pretending the fourth installment never happened.