Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

will return when the custom user titles improve bdlily's Avatar
    I watched Unstoppable last night. That was INTENSE. I really enjoyed The King's Speech. They're releasing a PG-13 version in theaters. I see what Josh was saying about it seeming like it was made for awards season but maybe that's the mark of a good movie? I found it touching and inspiring- Colin Firth was amazing.

I liked Social Network a lot too but would prefer to watch it on Clearplay with some of the "background" stuff and the bathroom scene being uncomfortable for me to watch.

I'm looking forward to 127 Hours but again will probably watch that on Clearplay. I know the story so I'm aware of what happens and that is something I just don't want to watch. It was filmed out here in Utah and some of my friends were extras. I don't know how because it seems like it's a one-man show but apparently there were other people in that movie.

We too saw Gnomeo and Juliet and I fell asleep. Granted I had just taken a muscle relaxant but it was a pretty lame attempt. There were a few funny moments where they threw in some Shakespeare lines from other plays. I liked that but a lot of the audience (under 12) didn't seem to catch on. Surprise. I kept wishing I was watching James McAvoy and Emily Blunt in person rather than as cartoon gnomes.

Lisa- the original True Grit bares very little resemblance to the Coen brothers version. I immensely enjoyed the new one and thought Hailee Steinfeld should absolutely have won Best Supporting Actress but I haven't seen The Fighter yet so I can't compare her to the winning performance. Jeff Bridges was delightful to watch and I thought the pacing was good for a Western. There is one scene that shocked me and it's not especially gory, it's just unexpected and really elicits a gut reaction. Great film.

Did anyone see The Adjustment Bureau this week? I've been looking forward to that one and Source Code. I like Matrix-y and Inception-like plots. Keeps you on your toes. I'm REALLY looking forward to HP7 part 2 and the new Batman. I think Christopher Nolan is a genius. Hoping to see Rango soon too. But that Little Red Riding Hood movie looks like the worst movie made in this or any decade. Also wanting to see: Lincoln Lawyer, Water for Elephants, Soul Surfer, First Class, Super 8, Cars 2 and POTC 4. I like movies
    Brooke
    WDW- CR '80, GF '89, GF '95, GF '01, GF '04, Poly '05, BWI '07, BC '07, AoA '13
    DL- DLH '88, Best Western '09, GCH '10, GCH '11

I get to see the Tangled Blu-ray today

He should have just done his big speech with headphones on. Would have been much easier LOL

will return when the custom user titles improve bdlily's Avatar
    Oh, you booger! I am so jealous. It doesn't come out for us peasants until March 29 or something like that. BUT, it is just in time for us to buy and let the kids watch it OVER and OVER on the drive to Cali for Spring Break.
    Brooke
    WDW- CR '80, GF '89, GF '95, GF '01, GF '04, Poly '05, BWI '07, BC '07, AoA '13
    DL- DLH '88, Best Western '09, GCH '10, GCH '11

Quote Originally Posted by bdlily View Post
    I watched Unstoppable last night. That was INTENSE. I really enjoyed The King's Speech. They're releasing a PG-13 version in theaters. I see what Josh was saying about it seeming like it was made for awards season but maybe that's the mark of a good movie? I found it touching and inspiring- Colin Firth was amazing.

I liked Social Network a lot too but would prefer to watch it on Clearplay with some of the "background" stuff and the bathroom scene being uncomfortable for me to watch.

I'm looking forward to 127 Hours but again will probably watch that on Clearplay. I know the story so I'm aware of what happens and that is something I just don't want to watch. It was filmed out here in Utah and some of my friends were extras. I don't know how because it seems like it's a one-man show but apparently there were other people in that movie.

We too saw Gnomeo and Juliet and I fell asleep. Granted I had just taken a muscle relaxant but it was a pretty lame attempt. There were a few funny moments where they threw in some Shakespeare lines from other plays. I liked that but a lot of the audience (under 12) didn't seem to catch on. Surprise. I kept wishing I was watching James McAvoy and Emily Blunt in person rather than as cartoon gnomes.

Lisa- the original True Grit bares very little resemblance to the Coen brothers version. I immensely enjoyed the new one and thought Hailee Steinfeld should absolutely have won Best Supporting Actress but I haven't seen The Fighter yet so I can't compare her to the winning performance. Jeff Bridges was delightful to watch and I thought the pacing was good for a Western. There is one scene that shocked me and it's not especially gory, it's just unexpected and really elicits a gut reaction. Great film.

Did anyone see The Adjustment Bureau this week? I've been looking forward to that one and Source Code. I like Matrix-y and Inception-like plots. Keeps you on your toes. I'm REALLY looking forward to HP7 part 2 and the new Batman. I think Christopher Nolan is a genius. Hoping to see Rango soon too. But that Little Red Riding Hood movie looks like the worst movie made in this or any decade. Also wanting to see: Lincoln Lawyer, Water for Elephants, Soul Surfer, First Class, Super 8, Cars 2 and POTC 4. I like movies
    Okay - so I had to look up what Clearplay was (can you tell we are so not a house with children?). Interesting concept - not my personal thing, as I'm big on seeing the film as the director intended it, but I also have a cast iron stomach and I'm pretty liberal as far as sex in movies goes as long as it fits the plot.

Good to know about Gnomeo and Juliet - I really wanted to see it (I like garden gnomes, and I'm a former English major, so Shakespeare is a big thing). I think we'll wait to get it from the Blockbuster Express box (like Redbox, but from Blockbuster). I think I'm going to give True Grit a shot on DVD - I like the cast enough that it's worth it, and I really do like westerns (though not John Wayne - I am very much a Clint Eastwood kinda girl).

Which Little Red Riding Hood movie are you talking about - the live action one or the cartoon one? The live action one looks intriguing, but I've also done a lot of scholarly work and teaching of fairy tales, so I find the more adult concept rather interesting, as it might run closer to the feel of the originals, even if it isn't following them in plot. The cartoon one has some of the worst looking animation I've ever seen - it's just ugly. And at some point, if it's not aesthetically pleasing, I can't accept it.
    Lisa

I had to "Google" Clearplay too. It sounds like a good idea. It's surprising how much "sex and violence" is on tv/movies these days. I think Gnomeo might be suicide-inducing for you. They really "butcher" the plot although I guess it is still sort of like the story. Luckily I had Fandango codes for it. I can't imagine paying the $14 per person for it.

We never pay that much for movies - both of the big theatres by our house do cheap tickets in the mornings on the weekend - $5 at one and $6 at the other - and they also do cheap tickets M-Th, so there's really no reason to pay full price here. I like good adaptations of Shakespeare - 10 Things I Hate About You is a perfect example - but the bad ones tend to go between laughably awful and kill me now bad, so the DVD option is really the best way to go. That way if I have to turn it off, I won't feel bad.

Oh, and as far as sex and violence goes - it's relative. In the late 80's/early 90's a ridiculous number of movies had soft core sex scenes so they could get the R rating. That fell off when the big push for carding started in the mid/late 90's. Violence is also relative - there's a lot, but I don't think it's really much worse than it was before. The only difference is it's a bit more realistic now, and less cartoon-like. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. In some ways I think showing realistic violence might be better as it highlights consequences, but it also desensitizes people to it.
    Lisa

My big movie for the weekend was Hot Tub Time Machine - as I said on FB - only redeeming qualities to me were John Cusack, the soundtrack, and the last 10 minutes of the movie. Oh well - I wasn't expecting anything great, so I was not disappointed. I looked at it more as something to do (that is one you would definitely want to do the Clearplay thing on - I didn't know what it was either). But I fall more in line with Lisa - I watch them as they were made or if something really bothers me (which would mostly be violence with knives), I just leave the room or avert my eyes until DH says its over.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    It's an amusement park, for goodness sake, how much planning could you need?

if something really bothers me (which would mostly be violence with knives), I just leave the room or avert my eyes until DH says its over.
    yeah, what is it about that?! I have a really tough time watching most violence, but knives take the cake. that somehow sounds weird
    edith

[AKL 11/06 | POLY 9/07 | POLY 11/08 | CSR 9/09 | BC/POLY 7-8/10 | BLT 1/11 | AKV 1/12 | BLT/POLY 9/13]

Quote Originally Posted by 4mickeyfreax View Post
    yeah, what is it about that?! I have a really tough time watching most violence, but knives take the cake. that somehow sounds weird
    Most people have no idea what it feels like to be shot - but most of us have cut ourselves with a knife at some point in time. That means we're very aware of how much even a minor knife wound hurts, which translates to a greater understanding of the pain someone in a knife fight/stabbed to death might be going through.
    Lisa

known as jane elsewhere, but her friends call her meannatasha
    Took a bunch of teenagers to the Justin Bieber movie on Friday. It was actually pretty entertaining. The added advantage is I don't ever need to pay to go to one of his concerts, because I've already been to one.

loves surprises, but not very good at them Thadine's Avatar
    Saw two movies this weekend.
    Just go with it
    and
    Big Momma's house
    Thadine

Certified Disney Addict. No Really, She Has The Paperwork joy4tigger's Avatar
    I'm looking forward to the next Pirates movie (I am a sick puppy as I've watched the Pirates 1,2,3 over & over), HP7.2, Cars2 and, strangely, African Cats.
    Joy

"mars needs moms" wasn't great

maybe two stars out of five

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joy4tigger View Post
    I'm looking forward to the next Pirates movie (I am a sick puppy as I've watched the Pirates 1,2,3 over & over), HP7.2, Cars2 and, strangely, African Cats.
    I'm looking forward to the next Pirates movie too! As an added bonus, it opens the day before my birthday. Happy birthday to me!! LOL

African Cats looks pretty good too!
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
    November 2010 @ Pop Century
    August 2016 @ Pop Century
    August 2017 @ DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando at Seaworld
    May 2019 @ All-Stars Movies
    August 2019 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post

maybe two stars out of five
    Thanks Josh. I haven't been too impressed with the previews so glad to hear it was as bad as it looks. LOL
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
    November 2010 @ Pop Century
    August 2016 @ Pop Century
    August 2017 @ DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando at Seaworld
    May 2019 @ All-Stars Movies
    August 2019 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i love josh. Janine's Avatar
    Great... thanks for the heads up. Guess we'll have the wait for the next one to go the the 'big' movies again.
    Until then, there'll be Tangled on DVD. yay!
    Janine

We watched The Town this afternoon - very good, but definitely dark. I'm not really a big Ben Affleck fan, but he worked in this one, and he's shaping up to be a pretty good director.
    Lisa

A little too long and a little easy on the action for me

A little too long and a little easy on the action for me
    I agree - it could have been trimmed a bit, and at times I wished that they had gone for a bit less authentic dialect/a bit more clear enunciation - but I still think it was worth watching.
    Lisa

I think my expectations were too high after hearing all of the stellar reviews. On the flip side, I saw that Robin Hood with Russel Crowe and thought it was pretty good. Had the reviews for it been amazing rather than "crap" I might have come away with a different opinion. Speaking of which, I suffered through Voyage of the Dawn Treader last night. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by lisapennie View Post
    at times I wished that they had gone for a bit less authentic dialect/a bit more clear enunciation
    That was my favorite part. Made me feel like I was right back home.
    (Just) Karen

I think my expectations were too high after hearing all of the stellar reviews. On the flip side, I saw that Robin Hood with Russel Crowe and thought it was pretty good. Had the reviews for it been amazing rather than "crap" I might have come away with a different opinion. Speaking of which, I suffered through Voyage of the Dawn Treader last night. Ugh.
    Yeah - been there with movie reviews before. I also did film for one of my areas of specialization in grad school, so I watched a lot of movies that are supposed to be brilliant, but which often left me cold. I think No Country For Old Men is a perfect example of that - I can appreciate what it did, but I didn't really enjoy it. On the other hand, I love 8 1/2 and Blow Up (the original Antonioni, not the one with John Travolta), so I admit to having a soft spot for more artsy films.
    Lisa

Y'all should see my third favorite movie, In Bruges: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780536/

Not for the kids though.

That's on my rental list - it looked quite entertaining. Most of my favorite movies are not safe for kids, but since we don't have any, that's not really a concern in this house. I'm pretty sure that our cats won't be negatively affected by watching Pulp Fiction.
    Lisa

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i love josh. Janine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lisapennie View Post
    at times I wished that they had gone for a bit less authentic dialect/a bit more clear enunciation.
    Hey! We enunciate.

What usually bothers me is when the Boston accent is sooooo exaggerated. I think - 'there's no way we sound like that'.
    Last edited by Janine; 03-13-2011 at 08:10 PM. Reason: smilie change
    Janine