Page 1 of 66 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

Just got back from "Gnomeo and Juliet 3D." We were the only two people in the theater. For those unfamiliar, it is sort of like "Romeo and Juliet" with garden gnomes. It was pretty bizarre and I don't think I would recommend it at full price. It was sort of funny, but only because it was so dumb? Luckily, I had some Fandango codes. Can't imagine paying the full $14 per adult 3D price.

Seen anything good recently? Or really terrible?

Certified Disney Addict. No Really, She Has The Paperwork joy4tigger's Avatar
    There's nothing out that entices me at all! And, I just bought a deal with Fandango for 2 tix for $9. I guess I'll have to wait for something way more interesting to come out.
    Joy

proud to keep the transportation forum the most civilized jilly7896's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joy4tigger View Post
    There's nothing out that entices me at all! And, I just bought a deal with Fandango for 2 tix for $9. I guess I'll have to wait for something way more interesting to come out.
    I just got that deal too :) The last movie I saw was Harry Potter and I probably won't go to the movies again til the next one comes out!

Last night my 2 year old was playing with my remote and ordered a movie from pay-per-view. 127 Hours. I had never heard of it. Since I was paying for it, I decided to watch it after he went to bed. Oh. My. God. Has anyone else seen that???!!!

Travel Consultant with Mayfair Travel
    Email: jill@mayfairtravel.com
    Like me on Facebook!

Sept 2010- CBR - Trip Report
    Sept 2011- POP - Trip Report

1991-offsite * 2003-GKTW * 2007-ASMU * 2009-FW * 2010-CBR * 2011-POP * 2012-OKW, CR & offsite * 2013-Poly, BWI & DCL Fantasy
    2014- WL, DCL Magic, BWI, PBH & CSR * 2015- AKV, DCL Dream, DLH, GCH, RPR & DCL Fantasy * 2016- BWI, GCH, DLH, DCL Magic (Roy Disney Suite!)

wears a coca-cola shirt to club cool just in case vatmark's Avatar
    We watched Inception the other night. Boy that was one freaky movie. I think I would have to watch it about 10 more times to truly understand the whole thing.

Not new but the movie Taken with Liam Neeson was really good.

Ann

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i love josh. Janine's Avatar
    Thanks for the Gnomeo and Juliet tip. I felt like taking my daughter to the movies and considered that one, guess I'll just wait for Mars Needs Moms.
    Janine

Oh my goodness - Inception! Made me feel SO stupid. There was just way too much going on there for my feeble brain, I guess. Didn't really like that.

Last thing we watched was The Girl Who Played with Fire, and I was disappointed. I thought Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was much better. Oh I take it back - we watched Secretariat finally a few weekends ago - I really enjoyed that. Typical Disney feel-good movie.

127 Hours is supposed to be very good - with James Franco. I know what it's about, but I'm not sure if I can watch it or not. Was it very gory?

I can't wait to see The King's Speech when it comes on Netflix.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    It's an amusement park, for goodness sake, how much planning could you need?

Quote Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
    127 Hours is supposed to be very good - with James Franco. I know what it's about, but I'm not sure if I can watch it or not. Was it very gory?
    I don't know if I can say it was good. I still have a pit in my stomache from watching it. It is quite gory and graphic. I had never even heard of it before last night and had no idea what to expect. My husband thought it was a true story, not sure. I just googled it and apparently paramedics were called to the UK premiere because people were vomiting and passing out watching it...

Like me on Facebook!

1991-offsite * 2003-GKTW * 2007-ASMU * 2009-FW * 2010-CBR * 2011-POP * 2012-OKW, CR & offsite * 2013-Poly, BWI & DCL Fantasy
    2014- WL, DCL Magic, BWI, PBH & CSR * 2015- AKV, DCL Dream, DLH, GCH, RPR & DCL Fantasy * 2016- BWI, GCH, DLH, DCL Magic (Roy Disney Suite!)

Yes, it's a true story - have you never seen that guy on any news or morning shows or anything? It's based on a book he wrote about his experience. The book is not called 127 Hours, but something different.

Yes, it's a true story - have you never seen that guy on any news or morning shows or anything? It's based on a book he wrote about his experience. The book is not called 127 Hours, but something different.
    No, I never even heard of or about the movie before. I must live under a rock. I don't think I'll be reading the book...

Like me on Facebook!

wears a coca-cola shirt to club cool just in case vatmark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jilly7896 View Post
    I don't know if I can say it was good. I still have a pit in my stomache from watching it. It is quite gory and graphic. I had never even heard of it before last night and had no idea what to expect. My husband thought it was a true story, not sure. I just googled it and apparently paramedics were called to the UK premiere because people were vomiting and passing out watching it...
    Ok that may be one to skip. Vomiting and passing out? Yikes!

Ann

DH and I went and saw The Mechanic for Valentine's Day. I didn't like it as much as I've liked some of Jason Statham's other movies, but it was still entertaining.

We watched the Russell Crowe Robin Hood a few weeks back - it was actually really good. I liked what was done with the Robin Hood story (it's sort of a prequel to the story), and the acting was really good, not that that's surprising with Russel Crowe and Cate Blanchett.
    Lisa

I haven't seen 127 hours (no one will watch it with me) or True Grit, but I think I've seen all of the other "Best Picture" nominees. I didn't think "The Kids Are All Right" was that good, but it was sort of awkward watching it with my mom. I don't think it was really meant for that? My mom didn't even realize it was a comedy LOL. The Fighter and Social Network are prob my two favorites. King's Speech was good, but it just felt so much like one of those "made for award season" type movies. Winter's Bone was surprisingly good especially with a budget of what I assume was $11, but it certainly isn't a "pick me up" type film. Very barren. Black Swan was good, but it's pretty weird. It's very much a "Darren Aronofsky(sp) film." If you like long dramas, "Animal Kingdom" is really good. Not about a Disney theme park either.

Gnomeo is definitely not one you need to see in theaters. It was just barely "3D" and would make a fine rental. Then again I'm not 8 years old either so maybe I'm not the target audience. The funniest part is the video for the lawnmower.

I actually haven't seen Tangled yet. I made it exactly four days on Disney's "preview list" before getting cut. You have to agree to like 1,000,000,000 stipulations. I guess letting people know that the camera for Epic Mickey sucked two weeks prior to its release was against the rules.

Josh - the movie man! I have a few other friends (interestingly, they are all guys) who always seem to make it a point of seeing all the award nominees/winners. Not us - I *think* the last movie we saw in a theatre was January 2010 on DLC - Princess and the Frog.

now I feel like a big dope. I didn't even know that movie was up for best picture. Where the heck have I been?!?! The only one that I saw that you mentioned was Social Network. I wasn't really impressed with it.

Like me on Facebook!

Best Picture and Best Actor!!

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Best Picture and Best Actor!!
    I know, I just read that. I understand why he was nominated... he was amazing.

Like me on Facebook!

I used to be better about seeing the Oscar nominees, but I don't really have the time anymore. King's Speech, Social Network, and The Fighter are on my must-see list. I'm deeply ambivalent about True Grit - I hated the original (but I also dislike John Wayne, even though the Green Berets cracked me up - which it wasn't supposed to do - it's just so mockably awful), but I like the Coen Brothers and the little girl in it seems so awesome that I feel like I should give it a shot.

Of course, I have issues with the Oscars anyway - they tend to screw up in fantastic ways when presenting awards.
    Lisa

I didn't get the big deal about the Social Network myself. I didn't think it was that great. I did however want that to win for Musical Score, which it did, because I went to college with Trent Reznor (for the short time that he was there before he left to pursue his music career), so my college friends and I were rooting for him.

I did however want that to win for Musical Score, which it did, because I went to college with Trent Reznor (for the short time that he was there before he left to pursue his music career), so my college friends and I were rooting for him.
    My hubby LOVES him some Trent Reznor. He's looking forward to seeing The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo when it comes out. He liked the book and with TR scoring it, he'll be in hog heaven.
    (Just) Karen

Will work for Dole Whips. Brandie's Avatar
    Josh, thanks for the review. Looks like we'll be waiting for Gnomeo and Juliet to come out on video.

I think the last thing we saw in the theater was "Voyage of the Dawn Treader." We liked it. Not as much as the first CofN movie, but it was fun.

Oh wait, we've seen "Megamind" in the theater (second run type) since then. We hadn't expected it to be as good as it was.

We are looking forward to: Cars 2, Pirates 4, HP 7:2, and the next Twilight. (Okay, that last one is just for me, not my entire family.)

I'm looking forward to Sucker Punch, X-Men: First Class (I love me some James McAvoy), Captain America, Cowboys & Aliens (Daniel Craig! Squee!), and the new Muppets movie. I'm also looking forward to Cars 2, Kung Fu Panda 2, HP 7:2, Winnie the Pooh, and Hop - but not really in the same intense geek out kind of way.

Oh - and I'm obviously looking forward to the next Batman movie, the next Star Trek movie, and the next James Bond movie - not that any of them are actually filming yet.
    Lisa

Didn't like Social Network huh? It's weird how people can have such differing opinions about the same exact thing.

"Mars Needs Moms" doesn't look good to me at all, but maybe it will be? Then next year Pixar is doing a Mars movie? I ended up seeing Tron Legacy in 3D and it was visually very cool. Not sure how it will turn out on Blu-ray/DVD. Hopefully people won't notice what they characters are saying or why they're doing what they're doing.

"Mars Needs Moms" doesn't look good to me at all, but maybe it will be? Then next year Pixar is doing a Mars movie? I ended up seeing Tron Legacy in 3D and it was visually very cool. Not sure how it will turn out on Blu-ray/DVD. Hopefully people won't notice what they characters are saying or why they're doing what they're doing.
    I agree - no interest in Mars Needs Moms. One of the advantages of not having kids is that I don't have any reason why I have to see it, so I likely won't.

So Tron is like Star Wars 1, 2, and 3, huh? They looked pretty, but the dialogue was painful, as was the acting, and the script had huge holes of logic.
    Lisa

Just got back from Rango. My kids said they enjoyed it but I was pretty excited when it was over.

I ended up seeing Tron Legacy in 3D and it was visually very cool. . . . Hopefully people won't notice what they characters are saying or why they're doing what they're doing.
    I agree!