Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 165664656667 LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 1661

Thread: Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

Quote Originally Posted by paxsarah View Post
    We finally saw TS4 last night and while the rest of us enjoyed it fine, my 13-year-old now feels like his childhood was ruined by the ending. I'm pretty sure he's going to end up pretending the fourth installment never happened.
    Ouch, that’s disappointing. TS3 was on tv this weekend and it really seemed like the perfect ending, although we’ve enjoyed the shorter cartoons that have been released since then.

We’re avoiding seeing it in theatres because of the ventriloquist dummies. My younger son is pretty freaked out by them for the moment, so I figured we’d rent it and skip that scene. I like for him to sleep for the remainder of the summer.
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by nolarookie View Post
    I like for him to sleep for the remainder of the summer.
    We had the same concern in our household.

We ended up seeing it yesterday because mom needed a break and it was the only kids option at the time we needed. I had 2 kids trying to sit in my lap simultaneously with their heads buried in my chest during the ventriloquist scenes. No one liked it. The first thing my son said after was "I didn't like that movie at all...and I really didn't like that ending". I have no idea why it has such a high rating on rotten tomatoes.

I found it overly repetitive. I mean, how many near-miss peril scenes can you take in one movie? There were a few good humor scenes, but not nearly as many pithy one-liners as in past TS movies. I found my mind wandering a lot. And I didn't find Woody's angst all that compelling. Even as an adult it didn't really bring me in emotionally, it felt too contrived.

And from a child psychology perspective it has an emotional message that can be confusing for younger kids. It's great when Pixar has content in the movie that flies above kids' heads but is meaningful to the adult viewers making it so much more than "just a kids' movie". Getting that balance right is genus. The problem with this movie is that the kids are partially aware of what's going on but developmentally can't grasp the nuances of emotion represented and are therefore left with a questioning, unsettled feeling at the end.
    Last edited by Anne; 07-08-2019 at 08:34 AM.

I think over the next few years and movies it will be made clear how much of Pixar was John Lasseter.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mgarbowski View Post
    I think over the next few years and movies it will be made clear how much of Pixar was John Lasseter.
    Amen!
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
    November 2010 @ Pop Century
    August 2016 @ Pop Century
    August 2017 @ DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando at Seaworld
    May 2019 @ All-Stars Movies
    August 2019 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar
    DD and I saw Spider Man: Far From Home. Loved it!
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by jillyb View Post
    DD and I saw Spider Man: Far From Home. Loved it!
    We loved it too!! Great tie-in to Endgame!
    Andrea
    Seriously addicted to Disney
    Cast: Me DH DS (20) DD (13)

Past Trips:
    WDW (me as a kid) Dec 1972 🎢 WDW (ASMo) May 2003 🎢 WDW (ASMo) April 2007 🎢 WDW/NSSHP (CBR) Sept 2009 🎢 Cruise (Dream)/WDW (Poly)/NSSHP Oct 2011 🎢 WDW (CBR) Christmas 2011 🎢 DLR (Disneyland Hotel) Christmas 2012 🎢 WDW (POR) Thanksgiving/ MVMCP 2015 🎢 WDW (POR) July 2017 🎢 Heading Back (WL) December 2019!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nolarookie View Post
    We’re avoiding seeing it in theatres because of the ventriloquist dummies.
    This, coupled with a rather blatant reference to The Shining, had me worried it was going to freak out my kids. Then I remembered that the kids haven't seen The Shining (haha). But both my 7yo and 12yo agreed the dummies were the scariest part.

I think this one definitely had a "learning to grow up and let go" theme, which seems like a natural progression for the story, but is really hard to handle in a way that both satisfies the intent and is entertaining and not-traumatizing for the primarily kid audience. I also would have been perfectly happy to have the series end with TS3.

he's right
    Quote Originally Posted by mgarbowski View Post
    Maybe, but he is also responsible for Cars. (Or, maybe "responsible").

Less flippantly, there are some good reasons why for all his talent, he probably shouldn't come back---at least not until he's made some genuine changes in his life and worked hard on making some serious amends. It's not too hard to read between the lines of that article, but that could be because of my own experiences in recovery.

While not a movie, it's about movies: CNN is currently running an original series titled "The Movies" that is a documentary series. This past Sunday was the first episode - a two-hour retrospective on 80s movies. It's really well done, with lots of movie clips. And the opening title sequence definitely gives me "Great Movie Ride clip show" vibes.

FWIW, if you've seen any of the documentary series that CNN has run the past few summers for different decades in US history (the Sixties, Seventies, etc.), it's the same production team, including Tom Hanks as an executive producer.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroCOTfan View Post
    While not a movie, it's about movies: CNN is currently running an original series titled "The Movies" that is a documentary series. This past Sunday was the first episode - a two-hour retrospective on 80s movies. It's really well done, with lots of movie clips. And the opening title sequence definitely gives me "Great Movie Ride clip show" vibes.

FWIW, if you've seen any of the documentary series that CNN has run the past few summers for different decades in US history (the Sixties, Seventies, etc.), it's the same production team, including Tom Hanks as an executive producer.
    I didn’t care for it. I watched the first installment, “The ‘80s,” the other night. What an innocuous, unchallenging series. It doesn’t help that they started at the nadir of American film decades. No insights into any of the films. Many of the talking heads have almost nothing to contribute, other than to recap information we already know. And do I really care what Maya Rudolph thought about The Breakfast Club?
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    Maybe, but he is also responsible for Cars. (Or, maybe "responsible").

Less flippantly, there are some good reasons why for all his talent, he probably shouldn't come back---at least not until he's made some genuine changes in his life and worked hard on making some serious amends. It's not too hard to read between the lines of that article, but that could be because of my own experiences in recovery.
    Oh, I'm well aware of why he had to go, and at most my most optimistic I'm agnostic as to whether he could ever come back. In an ideal universe he'd have been a decent guy. I have trouble envisioning an ideal future in which he both changes and makes amends and returns on maybe a movie-by-movie basis, where he no longer had freedom not only to inflict personal harm on many but to run the division as his personal fiefdom. I doubt that can ever happen. A more realistic hope is he just gets his own demons controlled. But for all his faults I do think he was a genius level story-teller. I think Disney animation will have a lower ceiling on its greatness until the next genius comes along. Even sadder is the thought that Lasseter might have already pushed that person away. Walt had a dark side. Lasseter's is probably worse.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

CNN’s The Movies continues to underwhelm. How many talking heads do we need to tell remind us that Saving Private Ryan put us RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE INVASION, or that Titanic was an expensive risk, but IT TURNED OUT TO BE WILDLY SUCCESSFUL ANYWAY!!!

C’mon, people, can’t you do any better than a two-hour commercial?

Stupid Judy.

Finally say TS4 this past weekend. I feel like TS3 was the end of the story for everyone else and TS4 was the end of the journey for Woody.

I enjoyed the movie and the new characters but I'm not sure if I needed TS4. I cried enough at 3 for it to have been the end of an era.
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    CNN’s The Movies continues to underwhelm. How many talking heads do we need to tell remind us that Saving Private Ryan put us RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE INVASION, or that Titanic was an expensive risk, but IT TURNED OUT TO BE WILDLY SUCCESSFUL ANYWAY!!!

C’mon, people, can’t you do any better than a two-hour commercial?
    You are making me feel good about deciding to skip it.

Quote Originally Posted by Not That Josh View Post
    You are making me feel good about deciding to skip it.
    It's fun to see the clips all in one place, in a trip down memory lane kind of way, but there's really no substance at all to the proceedings.

Stupid Judy.

he's right
    Sounds like a good candidate for DVR with liberal use of 30-second skip.

I've been watching it in the background while I'm working on other things. Ultimately, it's a clip show that just happens to have some big-name talking heads - nothing more, nothing less. So background noise is a good place for it, IMO.

Saw the photorealistic "The Lion King" last night. For some background, the original animated version is still my favorite movie of all time. I have seen it over 100 times, saw it 11 times in the theater, and wore out one VHS tape.

So, I was not optimistic about this movie, but since I really loved the stage adaptation, I figured I could find something to like about a screen adaptation.

I give this movie a solid 'B'. They do some things differently, but not too many things. Some of the changes are great. Critics seem to be panning the movie because the animals don't have proper emotions through facial expressions, but if you are used to reading animal body language, I think they did a good job. Only a couple of scenes seemed 'stiff'. Nothing seemed to be shoehorned in as a change that was not needed. The movie is 30 minutes longer than the original, and if you are familiar with the first movie, it's easy to find where they put the extra minutes in, but they fit, so I was fine with it.
    In the original animated feature, I always had a problem with the 'Can you feel the love tonight' song and sequence, because the animation of the lions was WAY different and incorrect from the rest of the movie. That was fixed in this version.

If you like The Lion King animated, I suggest you go see this one, just to enjoy the surprise differences.
    1st Trip - Honeymoon! - 1983
    Latest Trip - Bucket List trip with Grandkids - 2014

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by themeparkcommando View Post
    if you are used to reading animal body language
    who isn't??? ;)
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Our symphony orchestra showed Little Mermaid tonight and performed the score live. It was wonderful!!
    Jen

Those are amazing! We just say Return of the Jedi Friday night.

My husband has seen at least two of the Star Wars movies at the symphony. I'm not much for Star Wars, but a friend and I jumped at the chance to see Little Mermaid. I was really impressed with how the live score impacted the movie. I will definitely see other movie performances. I think the Harry Potter movies would lend themselves well to the format, too.
    Jen

Saw Isn’t It Romantic— very funny
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by BSS View Post
    My husband has seen at least two of the Star Wars movies at the symphony. I'm not much for Star Wars, but a friend and I jumped at the chance to see Little Mermaid. I was really impressed with how the live score impacted the movie. I will definitely see other movie performances. I think the Harry Potter movies would lend themselves well to the format, too.
    They've been doing one HP movie a year here. We're up to Prisoner of Azkaban this year. In addition to the Star Wars trilogy, we've seen Raiders of the Lost Ark but missed E.T.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Our local Orchestra did this last year with Fantasia. It was awesome!
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century