Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

You do

I can understand "accents" I guess, but I don't understand adding sounds that aren't there. If there's no "r" at the end of a word, there is no "r" sound. I don't know whose idearrrrrrr it was to start doing that, but someone should have told them to stop it.

Often times the extra letters are added only in certain places - so on the end of a word that ends with a vowel before another word that starts with a vowel. Or when particular letter combinations are hard to pronounce.
    Lisa

I have mostly lost my accent. Unless my DH or kids tick me off ... then it tends to show. However, I have a friend that makes fun of me when I say "tour". I pronounce it "tor" and she _claims_ it's pronounced "toor".
    Whatever!
    And I'll always say "Bahston", not Boston. At least I don't pronounce "spa" as "spar" like my mother still does. Or "telemaaahketahs".
    (Just) Karen

will take any rain...even if its men. RoonieRoo's Avatar
    Very soggy, muddy, flooding plains of the Blackland Prairie! Yay for flooding!
    When I was in college, I worked as a relay agent for several years. I used to have a hard time understanding various accents until that job. When you do relay you get to where you can tune your ear to just about any accent. It was an interesting job side effect.

I'll go ahead and give this Tron 5-Disc set two thumbs up, but you have to have a pretty sizable dork side to really enjoy it all I think. Tron Legacy is "very cool" in spite of pretty poor writing and acting.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I'll go ahead and give this Tron 5-Disc set two thumbs up, but you have to have a pretty sizable dork side to really enjoy it all I think. Tron Legacy is "very cool" in spite of pretty poor writing and acting.
    But, should we buy it? We haven't since Legacy yet and haven't seen the original in forever.
    (Just) Karen

Hard to say. It's not a great movie just in and of itself and whether or not you'll enjoy it is really subjective. Of course movies are always subjective, but I feel like this one is more subjective than most. It depends on your "set up" too. If you have a nice television and sound system then that will go a long way to the total "experience." If you're watching the DVD then I think a lot of it will be lost in translation. If you liked/appreciated the original Tron in the first place then you'll most likely really enjoy Legacy. Maybe a rental would be better though if they do those in Oregon.

$32 for both at Amazon at the moment http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2812691

And there's this thread if you want to deal with some coupons and headache at Target http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthr...7301&t=2795007

guess we'll go to disney world today nicole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Hey! We enunciate.

What usually bothers me is when the Boston accent is sooooo exaggerated. I think - 'there's no way we sound like that'.
    you just reminded me of my favorite childhood movie...
    ..cawnt, shawnt, awnt
    ..I remember thinking 'they don't really talk like that do they?"
    ..hummm time to search youtube for that oldie
    Nicole
    with family DH, DDs (13, 9, & 7)

completed our 1st trip May 2011 at POR

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i love josh. Janine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nicole View Post
    awnt
    I will defend this one to the end. I am not an ANT.
    Janine

known as jane elsewhere, but her friends call her meannatasha
    Y'all should see my third favorite movie, In Bruges: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780536/

Not for the kids though.
    I loved that movie. Along with the original English version of Death at Funeral.

living life to its fullest 3Caballeros's Avatar
    I love movies, too! But only good ones

On DVD now - the Tourist. Saw that at the $1 theater with DH on Feb.14th. Much better than I thought it would be.
    Loved CofN Dawn Treader.
    Looking forward to National Treasure 3 (not sure it's even filming, yet - but it should!), Cars 2 and Soul Surfer.
    ETA: and African Cats! Earth and Oceans were good on the big screen and I'm sure this one will be, too. I get movie vouchers through our Disney Visa rewards so makes movie going so much more affordable.
    Last edited by 3Caballeros; 04-06-2011 at 02:06 PM.

See, and I thought the Tourist was relatively terrible - no suspense, and I honestly didn't care about anyone in it.

I watched Citizen Kane (again - I've seen it like a dozen times) with my students two weeks ago. I don't think they thought it was as brilliant as I think it is, but I don't think they hated it either, which is something I suppose.
    Lisa

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i love josh. Janine's Avatar
    I have to admit... Citizen Kane was one of those movies I just didn't get. Maybe it was because of all the hype, or maybe I just have to watch it again.
    Janine

living life to its fullest 3Caballeros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lisapennie View Post
    I watched Citizen Kane (again - I've seen it like a dozen times) with my students two weeks ago.
    In 'my least favorite movies' catagory, Citizen Kane is #1

It depends on your "set up" too. If you have a nice television and sound system then that will go a long way to the total "experience." If you're watching the DVD then I think a lot of it will be lost in translation. If you liked/appreciated the original Tron in the first place then you'll most likely really enjoy Legacy. Maybe a rental would be better though if they do those in Oregon.
    We do have rental places here in Oregon. But, our local Blockbuster is going out of business. We've been Netflix peeps for seven or eight years now though. However, we broke down and just bought it. I printed the coupon from Disney Movie Rewards for $5 and looked in two cities and three stores before we found it....a mile and a half from the house. Next time we'll start there first.

We do have a good set up. Blu-ray, HDTV, nice surround high quality sound system, no 3-D though. I don't see in 3-D. Yes, for me the world _is_ flat.
    (Just) Karen

Let me know what you think!

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    I will defend this one to the end. I am not an ANT.
    I _completely_ agree!! I won't allow my kids to say 'ant' either.
    (Just) Karen

Let me know what you think!
    Will do. I think it's on the agenda for tomorrow night. Tonight is Vampire Diaries and we have (the new) Karate Kid to watch as well.
    (Just) Karen

Quote Originally Posted by DizDragonfly View Post
    I _completely_ agree!! I won't allow my kids to say 'ant' either.
    Why? It's actually the "correct" pronunciation (that's relative of course, by dialect - but if you look at most dictionaries, the "ant" pronunciation is the one that's listed).

I also hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your preferred pronunciations aren't terribly likely to have much impact on your kids - linguists have determined that peer groups and dialect in the area have a far greater impact - which is why children of immigrants typically have the accent of those in the area where they grew up, not their parents' accent.
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by lisapennie View Post
    Why? It's actually the "correct" pronunciation (that's relative of course, by dialect - but if you look at most dictionaries, the "ant" pronunciation is the one that's listed).

I also hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your preferred pronunciations aren't terribly likely to have much impact on your kids - linguists have determined that peer groups and dialect in the area have a far greater impact - which is why children of immigrants typically have the accent of those in the area where they grew up, not their parents' accent.
    Because an 'ant' is a small insect, not your mother's sister.

My kids may change their pronunciation at some point in their life, but at 16 and 14 (in a week and a half) they say 'awnt' as a matter of habit. I find the linguists' findings interesting. I've known lots of first generation Americans and they definitely had traits in their speech that weren't local to the area they grew up in.
    (Just) Karen

tests unsafe roller coasts in china blyday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DizDragonfly View Post
    Because an 'ant' is a small insect, not your mother's sister.

My kids may change their pronunciation at some point in their life, but at 16 and 14 (in a week and a half) they say 'awnt' as a matter of habit. I find the linguists' findings interesting. I've known lots of first generation Americans and they definitely had traits in their speech that weren't local to the area they grew up in.
    Growing up in Utah.....it was always pronounced "ant". In fact....when my first nephew in my family was born.....I proclaimed myself as the "Red Ant" and my sister just younger then me took the "Black Ant". I personally like it that way. Out here on the East coast however, I've noticed many a person who says "Awntie".....now that drives me nuts. I'm an Ant thank you.....a Red one!!!!!
    Brenda

Quote Originally Posted by blyday View Post
    Growing up in Utah.....it was always pronounced "ant". In fact....when my first nephew in my family was born.....I proclaimed myself as the "Red Ant" and my sister just younger then me took the "Black Ant". I personally like it that way. Out here on the East coast however, I've noticed many a person who says "Awntie".....now that drives me nuts. I'm an Ant thank you.....a Red one!!!!!
    Yup, I have an Awnty Nancy. Ant Nancy just sounds small and mean to me. My awnt is neither.

I have yielded to most of the rest of the nation and say "soda" rather than "tonic" though. But, I still refuse to call it "pop".
    (Just) Karen

You refer to "Coca Cola Classic" as "tonic?"

If we were related I would probably call you "Anty Ant" especially if I knew it bugged you. No pun intended.