Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Direct-To-Room Check-In

Direct-To-Room Check-In

http://www.kennythepirate.com/2015/0...room-check-in/

For those of you going in the near future can you let me know how this works out for you. Also, if you made a room request (thinking of POP century) for a specific section and floor preference were met? I know the standard is to try to meet requests but aren't promised. We always had our request of a section and ground floor met. Just wondering if this service would change any of that.

1995 {Summer of 5th grade} 2000 {Freshman in high school band trip} 2010 {First Disney Christmas} 2012 {First Disney Halloween} 2013 {Christmas break at Disney} 2014 {Mother/Daughter/I'm 30!} Coming Nov-Dec 2015 {Christmas at Disney}

Quote Originally Posted by Jgrewe View Post
    http://www.kennythepirate.com/2015/0...room-check-in/

For those of you going in the near future can you let me know how this works out for you. Also, if you made a room request (thinking of POP century) for a specific section and floor preference were met? I know the standard is to try to meet requests but aren't promised. We always had our request of a section and ground floor met. Just wondering if this service would change any of that.
    We will be there tomorrow. I was thinking if the room they text me does not match our request I will speak to a cm at the check-in desk rather than just accept it and go directly to the room. Will confirm how it goes.

We're checking in today. I didn't have any specific requests, but we had a preferred room. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by Faz View Post
    We will be there tomorrow. I was thinking if the room they text me does not match our request I will speak to a cm at the check-in desk rather than just accept it and go directly to the room. Will confirm how it goes.
    From the FAQ in the article, you should be fine going to the front desk if you don't like the room they assigned.

How can Guests opt out of this service?
    Guests can opt out by simply coming to the Front Desk to check-in.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR; Aug '20 AKV

We have arrived. Disney texted me sometime during our flight. When we got off the plane the text was on my phone indicating the room number and that the room was ready. We got off DME and walked straight to the room. It's even better than we had hoped. We got a river view close to the bridge in Acadia building. We expected pool view.

Worked great. I just noticed they also emailed me and added the link to a map to find the room.

Here we go. Trip report in the near future!!!

We have arrived. Disney texted me sometime during our flight. When we got off the plane the text was on my phone indicating the room number and that the room was ready. We got off DME and walked straight to the room. It's even better than we had hoped. We got a river view close to the bridge in Acadia building. We expected pool view.

Worked great. I just noticed they also emailed me and added the link to a map to find the room.

Great!! Sounds like a great way to do it... no need to go to the front desk.

Enjoy the trip!
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR; Aug '20 AKV

Awesome! Can't wait to read the Trip Report!

1995 {Summer of 5th grade} 2000 {Freshman in high school band trip} 2010 {First Disney Christmas} 2012 {First Disney Halloween} 2013 {Christmas break at Disney} 2014 {Mother/Daughter/I'm 30!} Coming Nov-Dec 2015 {Christmas at Disney}

We never got a text, but our room was ready when we got here around 3:30
    Brandi

We just got an email telling us we can do this next week. I'm glad to hear the map was included in the email with the room number, so we can tell if our requests were met or if we should stop by the front desk.

Just curious about something. If we wanted to do online check in and go straight to a park, would we be able to get free parking with just our magic bands? Maybe show them that we are scheduled to check in that day on our app?? I know it is just $17, but hey... every little bit! :)
    Staci
    May 2015 TR
    - CBR with my teen niece - big kid focused trip.
    Universal October 2015 TR - Royal Pacific with my 16yo son.
    April 2016 TR Staying Offsite & using rider swaps: a young children focused trip.

I just booked a room last night for 2/16 (decided to drive down a day early). Obviously, there was not enough time to ship the MBs associated with the POR stay to us. We have the MBs for our BWV stay that starts 2/17. Both reservations are linked to the same MDE. I hope we can go straight to the room as we'll be arriving late on 2/16. Something tells me that we may not get the text since we made the reservation on such short notice. I'll post here either way.

This worked great for us today at AKL. When we got off the plane I got a text stating our room wasn't ready and by the time we were on ME I got a text with the number. I asked a CM with an iPad for directions to the room and it worked perfect. Only issue was there was no information or map in the room so I stopped back at concierge on our way to get lunch for the information. It would definitely be a time saver if you wanted to get out to the parks quickly or if you arrive at a busy time.

And I wanted to add this was with a flight that landed at noon! Big bonus to be able to get to our room that early. We can even see animals out of our a Standard view room.

Quote Originally Posted by ajj221 View Post
    And I wanted to add this was with a flight that landed at noon! Big bonus to be able to get to our room that early. We can even see animals out of our a Standard view room.
    Thanks for reporting back, that is exactly what I am looking forward to with this new system.

Would you mind sharing your room # (you can do it after the trip, or PM if you prefer), since I am trying to maintain a list of which rooms are Standard View vs Savanna View at Jambo.
    Micah

MousePerks

Does anyone have experience with direct check in and the parking pass? I know they will reimburse you if you go directly to the park without it. I'm guessing you still have to see someone to get the pass for the week. That seems to defeat the purpose if you have a car vs using ME.

Quote Originally Posted by Merida's Twin View Post
    Does anyone have experience with direct check in and the parking pass? I know they will reimburse you if you go directly to the park without it. I'm guessing you still have to see someone to get the pass for the week. That seems to defeat the purpose if you have a car vs using ME.
    I don't know the answer, but if you have a magic band, I'd think the parking attendants could scan it and see that you're a resort guest.
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post
    Thanks for reporting back, that is exactly what I am looking forward to with this new system.

Would you mind sharing your room # (you can do it after the trip, or PM if you prefer), since I am trying to maintain a list of which rooms are Standard View vs Savanna View at Jambo.
    I will try to remember to take a picture of our view and give you the room number. We are only here 1 night since we are going on a cruise tomorrow. The view is mostly the back side of a building but I was surprised we could see animals both in front of us and if we looked to the side.
    The location is considered kudu trail. I can screen shot/forward you the email I received if you are interested.

I think a key with the early room is that when doing on line check jn requests the website asks for arrival time and if you would prefer an early room if it meant not meeting your requests. I think we got both.

I did not get the direct to room text for my one night stay at POR on 2/16. I only booked it a couple of days in advance though.

Is this new way also for international guests (we are from Canada)? If so I will have to leave my phone on roaming to get the text (I usually turn it off as soon as we cross the border).
    ​Isabelle

July 1991: off-site; April 2009: off-site; February 2012: All-stars Movies ; August 2014: AoA ;
    July 2015: CSR; Feb/March 2016: POP/DCL (Wonder) ; March 2017: All-stars Music; July 2017: POR ; April 2018: DLR (offsite)

Future trips: Dec 2018-Jan 2019: POFQ

Quote Originally Posted by isabellea View Post
    Is this new way also for international guests (we are from Canada)? If so I will have to leave my phone on roaming to get the text (I usually turn it off as soon as we cross the border).
    From what I understand they only mail MagicBands to addresses within the United States... and you would need to have them to get into your room anyway, so you will have to visit the front desk.

As far as text, it says they can also contact you via email if that is what you prefer.
    Micah

MousePerks

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryTink View Post
    Just curious about something. If we wanted to do online check in and go straight to a park, would we be able to get free parking with just our magic bands? Maybe show them that we are scheduled to check in that day on our app?? I know it is just $17, but hey... every little bit! :)
    Anyone have an answer on this yet? Curious if people needing a parking pass have to still do a normal check in to get it, or if they can go to the park directly?
    Micah

MousePerks

This Direct to Room check in topic has me thinking about something with Magical Express too...

Now that I don't have to go to the Front Desk ideally DME would just be able to take us directly to a park after landing at the airpoint, without even needing to go to my resort first. Or, as another option, they could take us to any resort, so we could get to a park easily from there (like Beach Club or Contemporary where we can walk to a park). Any chance of either of these happening?

I always thought there "test" of DME picking people up from a park to leave was a good idea (but the test didn't last long)... why not just let me choose where I am dropped of and picked up from, and let me pick what is convenient, without assuming I want it to be my resort?
    Micah

MousePerks

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryTink View Post
    The guard at the resort/park gatehouse will scan your band and will see that you're a registered guest and wave you in, no problem.

They'll also ask to see a photo ID, which they'll pretend to look at. I never understood this. What a PITA to have to do this every time.

If you're a guest at the resort and are driving, your MB will also activate the automatic gate, so you can bypass the photo ID nonsense.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    The guard at the resort/park gatehouse will scan your band and will see that you're a registered guest and wave you in, no problem.
    This is what I would have guessed, thanks for the confirmation.
    Micah

MousePerks

Will I be able to do direct to room checking if I booked our room with a passholder discount?