Thread: Charging to your room/magic band questions

not going to be flippant...unless... peachygreen's Avatar

Charging to your room/magic band questions

1) If you have more than one adult staying in a room, can their purchases be separated by Magic Band so that paying the bill is simplified?

2) Can you load Gift Cards to your account at the resort and have them tied to your Magic Band so you don't have to carry gift cards around the park?

3) When do they charge the credit card on file? I'm sure it pre-authorizes an amount, I'm just not sure when any purchases would charge.
    Next Trips
    WDW - Disney Princess Weekend February 2015
    DL - Tinkerbell Weekend May 2015
    DCL - Bahamas out of Galveston December 2015

Somewhere between Seattle Washington & the Canadian border
    I don't know about your first question but for the other two here are the answers:

2) Maybe. Some people have been able others have not. In November at All Star Movies I wasn't able to.

3) Your credit card charged when you hit the charging limit for the resort you're staying in. The limits are (I believe) $500 for values, $100 for moderates & $1500 for deluxes.

They don't actually do a preauthorization on your card. They just run a $1 sample transaction to make sure the card is good. It doesn't tie up your credit limit or anything.

If you don't reach the "limit" at your resort, then they'll charge the card in the very early morning hours of your checkout day. If you don't want that transaction to go through, you'll have to stop by the desk the evening before you check out. It's not really a limit, though. They'll just run the transaction once you meet the amount, ask your approval, and start you back over again.

We used gift cards to pay off our charged balances through the week so that we didn't hit the auto-charge max. We weren't able to over apply them and create a credit balance, though.

You can also call and have gift cards applied to your room deposit/room charges.

If you don't hit the charge max of $500/1,000/1,500, it charges your card the evening before/ morning of check out.

If you're planning to use the gift cards to pay off your room charges, make sure to estimate what your charges are so that you go to the front desk before they charge your card. We stay at AoA so we only get a $500 limit. With 5 adults/teens and 1 tween in the room and no dining plan, our room charges add up quickly. On our last trip, we checked in on Sunday afternoon and I stopped at the front desk on Tuesday afternoon to pay off our charges with gift cards and found out our credit card had already been charged -- even though our total was only at about $450. When I asked why it was charged already, the CM said that they (AoA front desk CM's) run room charging reports twice a day and when they see rooms getting close to their $500 limit (apparently within 10% of that limit), they put the charge through so that guests aren't surprised in the parks or at a restaurant with a declined transaction because of going over their room charge limit. It wasn't a big deal to us because I only had about $500 worth of gift cards so I knew I'd still have time to use them (we were there for 7 days). I did make sure to go down to the front desk when I thought we were at about $400 and paid off the balance. I figured I'd just go down the evening before checkout to apply the remaining $100 toward our balance. Again, they had already charged our credit card by the time I went down. We used some of the gift cards to buy snacks and drinks that night and the rest just went in the Disney box for the next trip.

While I believe the previously stated limits of $500/$1,000/$1,500 for value/moderate/deluxe are generally correct, be aware that they are not fully determinative. I stayed at CBR, a moderate, 2 months ago, and they charged my card when we ran up $600 in items billed to the room. Which was annoying because I planned to pay that off using a Disney Visa rewards balance.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

1 I believe the answer is no. You could pay with 2 cards but can only put one on the room.

2 you can do this but not as credit on the room, you have to go down and add them to the account before it charges. (I believe they can reverse the charge if you want to pay with GC and they have already charged you, ive only tried it once but had success)

3 as stated above you are charged at a specific threshold and the front desk can confirm that for you.

When you look at the bill it does show which adult made which purchase... all a single bill, but you can easily see who billed what.

They for sure can reverse the charge if it automatically goes to the credit card, it just takes longer.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR; Aug '20 AKV

It's a shame you can't split it like you can on DCL. I guess I will either just pay in the parks with GC or keep a very close eye on it then.

I'm 99% sure you can set it up so adults staying in the same room can link separate credit cards to their MagicBands?

I can confirm Josh is 100% correct. I was there last month and we were three adults in the same room. We had no problem linking each of our magicbands to a different credit card at check-in.

If your credit card has already been charged and you plan to pay with gift cards, they can load the gift cards into the system creating a credit balance on your room. When you check out the credit balance will be applied against your credit card - I've had this done twice - once at the Beach Club and once at All Star Sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I can confirm Josh is 100% correct. I was there last month and we were three adults in the same room. We had no problem linking each of our magicbands to a different credit card at check-in.
    interesting... they just told me no

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tishcpa View Post
    If your credit card has already been charged and you plan to pay with gift cards, they can load the gift cards into the system creating a credit balance on your room. When you check out the credit balance will be applied against your credit card - I've had this done twice - once at the Beach Club and once at All Star Sports.
    Quote Originally Posted by pixarprincess View Post
    interesting... they just told me no
    In both of these cases sometimes people are told no... (myself included on the topic of loading cards onto your room before making a purchase). Sometimes "No, you can't" and "I don't know how to" are used interchangeably.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR; Aug '20 AKV

I was also told "no" about being able to link different Magic Bands to different credits cards in October. We were told that it would be one credit card/one PIN per room, and that we would need to sort out charges when we saw our final statement at check-out because the names of which band made which charge would be printed on there.

Quote Originally Posted by LWB View Post
    I was also told "no" about being able to link different Magic Bands to different credits cards in October. We were told that it would be one credit card/one PIN per room, and that we would need to sort out charges when we saw our final statement at check-out because the names of which band made which charge would be printed on there.
    this was almost exactly the response I received as well. It wasnt a big deal to sort out, but it was a bit of a pain

we had allot of changed currency and spend less cash then anticipated, so I asked to clear the bill with cash. They showed me printout and asked if all is as expected, so you can divide the bill at that point and pay with two cards. They never charged the card as such. Even on last day they asked if they should use the card and we paid cash.

we never reached the limit as I went to clear balance every 4 days. I didn't want to be stuck with dollars as you know... we are never coming back

Quote Originally Posted by LWB View Post
    We were told that it would be one credit card/one PIN per room
    Even though we had one Credit Card for the room, we for sure had multiple PINs, one for each person. They were mistaken for sure on this, since a PIN is tied to a person and not the room (and it stays with the person from one stay to another without needing to set it up again).
    Micah

MousePerks

Quote Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post
    In both of these cases sometimes people are told no... (myself included on the topic of loading cards onto your room before making a purchase). Sometimes "No, you can't" and "I don't know how to" are used interchangeably.
    I should clarify that I was told it couldn't be done by the castmember at the All Stars but since I had done it at the Beach Club last year, I insisted that she try it. She was very reluctant but did it anyway and my final bill shows that my credit card was refunded the balance of the gift cards.

Since people are getting different results, I'm sure this question will meet with as much success Can you set it up so only certain people in your party can charge? (Like only one adult? Or maybe the adults but not the kids? Or can kids even charge - mine have gift cards for their own spending money and it would be nice if they could have their own gift cards on their own bands separately)
    Andrea
    Seriously addicted to Disney
    Cast: Me DH DS (20) DD (13)

Past Trips:
    WDW (me as a kid) Dec 1972 🎢 WDW (ASMo) May 2003 🎢 WDW (ASMo) April 2007 🎢 WDW/NSSHP (CBR) Sept 2009 🎢 Cruise (Dream)/WDW (Poly)/NSSHP Oct 2011 🎢 WDW (CBR) Christmas 2011 🎢 DLR (Disneyland Hotel) Christmas 2012 🎢 WDW (POR) Thanksgiving/ MVMCP 2015 🎢 WDW (POR) July 2017 🎢 Heading Back (WL) December 2019!!!

I guess this will fall under the category of I can ask when we check in and see what happens.

6 days to go! I can't wait. I will be sure to let you know how it works for us.
    Next Trips
    WDW - Disney Princess Weekend February 2015
    DL - Tinkerbell Weekend May 2015
    DCL - Bahamas out of Galveston December 2015

Quote Originally Posted by tylerandalexsmom View Post
    Since people are getting different results, I'm sure this question will meet with as much success Can you set it up so only certain people in your party can charge? (Like only one adult? Or maybe the adults but not the kids? Or can kids even charge - mine have gift cards for their own spending money and it would be nice if they could have their own gift cards on their own bands separately)
    We didn't setup a PIN for our kids, so their MBs didn't work to charge. I am sure the same can be done for an adult if you wanted. I think this one is more commonly done since many people don't want their (young) kids charging whatever they want back to the room.
    Micah

MousePerks

I know this is an old thread, but has anyone had any luck with linking different magic bands to different credit cards? We will have 3 separate parties in our villa and this would make things much easier.

You should be able to, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2win View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but has anyone had any luck with linking different magic bands to different credit cards? We will have 3 separate parties in our villa and this would make things much easier.
    Just to confirm - we did this 2 wks ago. We had two parties in a 2 BR lock-off and successfully had separate CC# for each party.
    Michele