Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Family, Fun, and Food; my (late) November trip report

Family, Fun, and Food; my (late) November trip report

I started planning for this trip back in 2012. We didn't actually end up going until November 2014. The original cast was me, my mom, my dad, and my grandmother. In 2013 my grandmother fell and broke her leg and my mother found out she had breast cancer. So, the original trip was cancelled. We rescheduled twice and finally ended up with November 2014.
    Mom is cancer free now. (Yay!) Gram's health prevented her from coming. But, the new boyfriend was able to come.

The Cast: Me (36), BF (41), Mom (60-something, and Dad (70-something). We had all been to Disney at some point. I went three times when I was younger, once with my cousin and twice with band in high school. Stayed off-site for both of these. Mom and Dad had been about 10 years ago for 3 days during a longer FL trip. They stayed at POR and loved Disney hotels and transport. My BF had been a couple of times with his ex-wife and stayed off-site.

One thing we knew when we were planning was that we'd be staying on-site. Mom and Dad loved the perk of not having to drive at all while on vacation. After all of our reschedules, we ended up in two connecting rooms at CBR. It seemed like a good fit for us since we weren't planning to be at the resort much.

When this whole thing started, I asked everyone what they wanted to do, where they wanted to eat, and what rides they wanted to go on. My parents only request was for 50s Prime Time and Rose and Crown. My BF was fine with anything. So, with the help of this board, I did all of the planning. I shared my plans with them as I went along, but I knew that they really didn't quite "get" what was happening. There was discussion of Fast Pass and ADRs and Rope Drop but it didn't quite click for them until we were actually there.

I had decals made for our magic bands to make them extra special.

Day 1 (November 7)

We were picked up by the car service at 6:45am. The roads were quiet that early and we made it to the airport with plenty of time. Met the BF to check our luggage and head to the terminal. The thing I didn't realize was that jetBlue uses a different, much smaller terminal than United, which is what I normally fly. So our breakfast options were severely limited. There was an issue with a wobbly table and coffee getting spilled in my lap. We made the best out of it though and tried to relax.

Boarding was not a fun event. My BF had upgraded his ticket so he went on before us. Then I made sure my parents did early boarding since Dad uses a cane. And then I was finally on. Mom and Dad sat together but my BF and I were in different rows. Fine, it is a short flight to MCO. And we were leaving early!

Oh no. Don't get excited. There was an issue with the coffee maker and water stated pouring out near the front of the plane. We pulled back to the gate and waited while coffee maker was fixed. Leaving late but still scheduled to arrive fairly close to our original time.

We arrive in MCO. Find out that Dad's magic band had come off during the flight. Get on the little monorail. Get to ME. Use our magic bands for the first time. Get Dad's securely refastened.

Get in our first Disney line!

We were some of the last people on the ME bus so none of us were sitting together. It was a comfortable ride to the hotel though. Especially since CBR was the first stop.

I loved the look of the resort as soon as we got there. Palm trees! Great views!

We checked in and both of our rooms were ready. Took the internal shuttle over to Trinidad North. Got really confused trying to get to the room for the first time. Finally did and headed off to Old Port Royale to get some lunch.

We were all confused by the Quick Service set up. We grabbed our refillable mugs and got them activated. Then we had one of the most disappointing meals of the entire trip. To shake off the bad vibes from the bland and sad lunch, we headed to the quiet pool. Yay for heated pools!

We also got a little lost getting there for the first time too.

After a nice swim we headed back to the room and got ready to go out for dinner. We were early so we thought we'd take our time getting there. Took the bus to MK and then the Monorail to the Poly. I had very fond memories of taking the monorail on my first trip and my jaw dropping because we were going through a hotel!!!! We got to the Poly quite early but checked in and decided to get some drinks and relax in the bar area before dinner.

We were quickly seated though, even an hour early and with quite a few parties also waiting to be seated.

After how sad and disappointing our lunch was I think we were all a little wary of the quality of the food. But we were pleasantly surprised! We loved almost everything! (The lettuce wraps were not good, but we requested the lilikoi salad.)

Service was great. There was so much yummy food. Thumps up from everyone. It was an excellent way to start our trip.

Grabbed a cab back to CBR and made an early night since we'd be up for RD at AK the next day.

Reading along! Where did you get the magic band decals?

1995 {Summer of 5th grade} 2000 {Freshman in high school band trip} 2010 {First Disney Christmas} 2012 {First Disney Halloween} 2013 {Christmas break at Disney} 2014 {Mother/Daughter/I'm 30!} Coming Nov-Dec 2015 {Christmas at Disney}

Curious about the decals as well. Following along, nice start.

Mmmm I want a lapu lapu right about now. looking forward to reading more!
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

CBR looks so pretty. I am also a fan of heated pools! (It's not like I am working up a sweat doing laps...)

Day 2 (Nov 8)

We had decided to leave breakfasts up to each person since some of us are morning people and some are not. We were planning rope drop at AK this morning and had specified meeting at the bus stop at 8am.

My BF and I trekked across the parking lot to OPR to enjoy the breakfast options. I was very glad that I had packed enough breakfast bars to last me the week. He grabbed a pastry and we both drank the horrible coffee.

OPR is very pretty though. And so brightly colored!

And I loved the look of CBR. So tropical!

Met up with Mom and Dad in the room and headed down to the bus stop. We had no problem getting a bus or getting to AK but there was some sort of traffic problem right outside AK and we ended up getting there a bit later than we hoped.

Now, I scoped out the ADR mickey readers and tried to get the family to slowly stalk them for when they opened them for general admission. I don't think the all understood what I was trying to do though. We did get fairly close to the front of the line for them when they did open and let everyone in to the park.

We made our way to KS and walked right on. Had a lot of fun. Especially when this guy came right up to the vehicle.

Off KS and we ended up by the guy carving walking sticks. My Dad, who had left his cane in the room for some reason was very happy to pick up a viper one! Best souvenir of the trip for him.

Then we were on our way to EE. There was hardly anyone else around. We had to stop and enjoy the tree and the monkeys on the island.

Standby for EE and I had such fun looking at all of the cool stuff in the queue.

Now, this was going to be Mom's first roller coaster ride in like 30 years. None of us had been to AK before and weren't really sure what the ride was like. I vaguely knew that there was a yeti and broken tracks. This set the fun for the rest of the trip. As much fun as the rides were, listening to my mother experience them made them 100% better. It was great. She was hilarious and having so much fun on them.

Off to our FP+ for Primeval Whirl. I loved the work that the imagineers put in to this area. So colorful and vibrant. It just feels really out of place. Which I get was what they were going for. We loved Triceratops Spin as well. Very cute ride and it was cute how both people had to work together to move up and down and tilt.

DINOSAUR was next. It was fine, but Mom getting scared by the Dinosaurs was more fun than the actual ride.

At this point we were ready for a break and our scheduled lunch at Flame Tree BBQ. Mom and Dad found seats while my BF and I placed the orders. We were early so there was hardly a line.

This was a good meal for QS. And there was plenty of seating and shade. Mom got a salad of some sort and the rest of us got the combo platters. Pretty tasty! The beans had lots of little pieces of meat in the sauce as well.

This was our first real encounter with what we started calling the Florida Pigeons.

After lunch we did some shopping. Then headed toward Adventurer's Outpost for our next FP+. We decided to have some water and dessert.

The Mickey bars were a huge hit with everyone.

Adventurer's Outpost was cute. And our camera person was one of the people who had taken pictures of us earlier in the day and joked that we all knew our designated photo positions. BF, me, Mom, Dad That was our order for the remainder of the trip in all of our group photos.

We did Maharajah Trek. The tigers were cool. A lot of the other animals didn't seem to be out.

Flights of Wonder was out last scheduled event. It was a very cute show. We're suckers for birds of any sort though. We had parakeets and cockatiels for years. We thought the show was engaging and fun and informative. With such beautiful birds!

We headed back to CBR at this point (2:30-ish) to relax before dinner.

At 4:45 we headed down to the bus stop to head to MK to take the boat to GF for dinner at Narcoossee's.

At this point, my Dad got finally got the idea of what and ADR was. Not a real reservation but a place in line. We smushed in to the very small waiting area to wait for our name to be called.

We got a great seat right by the window looking towards MK.

The menu looked great. We started with hot tea which came out in little french press type pots. And Dad and my BF started their trend of ordering almost the exact same thing at every meal. They started with the lobster bisque while Mom and I shared the calamari. The calamari was amazingly good. The best part of the meal.

Dad and my BF got the lobster. Mom got the halibut. I got the pasta with shrimp and spinach. My pasta dish was way over salted. They enjoyed the lobster. Mom's halibut was good, her cauliflower was the star though.

Sorry these are so blurry!

Next came out the surprise cake that I had ordered. :) Pat Anderson at the GF bakery did an excellent job!

We decided to head over to MK after dinner for MSEP and Wishes. We grabbed the monorail and we all discussed how stinky it was and we thought that the smell the day before had been a fluke but that we were going to avoid the monorails as much as possible for the remainder of the trip.

We got to MK and then Mom and I got in line at guest services to get park hoppers added. We did not realize that the line here was going to move like molasses in January though. We were committed to getting them at this point though. It was a good thing too, it ended up being our only nighttime entertainment the entire trip.

We entered the park and got spots outside of the Town Square Theater next to a garbage can. Which sounds horrible, but it worked out well. We watch the parade and really enjoyed it.

I took way too many pictures.

Then we headed up Main Street to try to get a better spot for Wishes.

This is when it started to rain. And things kind of fell apart. We ended up sheltering back at the train station and going out to brave the rain to watch Wishes itself. (No, I don't know why any of us, all grown adults, didn't think to get ponchos.) But, we were right by the entrance so exiting afterwards was super easy.

We headed to the bus and back to CBR.

Quote Originally Posted by Jgrewe View Post
    Reading along! Where did you get the magic band decals?
    Thanks for reading along!

I got the decals here:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/2006147..._home_active_1

Bubba and Doodle's etsy shop if the link doesn't work. I just got the new ones for our April trip in. :)

Quote Originally Posted by mandi5379 View Post
    Curious about the decals as well. Following along, nice start.
    Thanks for reading! The decals were a hit with family and cast members.

I got the decals here:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/2006147..._home_active_1

Bubba and Doodle's etsy shop if the link doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by beachta1 View Post
    Mmmm I want a lapu lapu right about now. looking forward to reading more!
    I was worried about so many early mornings that the lapu lapu was my only drink of the trip! It was so good! It was a wonderful way to start our 'Ohana dinner. I'm looking forward to another one soon. :)

Quote Originally Posted by BostonGirl View Post
    CBR looks so pretty. I am also a fan of heated pools! (It's not like I am working up a sweat doing laps...)
    I have so many pictures of CBR. It was so lovely. I really, really enjoyed it.
    The quiet pool was great! We were often the only ones there. And the hot tub at the main pool was so relaxing after a long park day.

We grabbed the monorail and we all discussed how stinky it was and we thought that the smell the day before had been a fluke but that we were going to avoid the monorails as much as possible for the remainder of the trip.
    i have been in it at times where it smelled like urine. It was awful and not a great experience. Since then I have had great experiences!

1995 {Summer of 5th grade} 2000 {Freshman in high school band trip} 2010 {First Disney Christmas} 2012 {First Disney Halloween} 2013 {Christmas break at Disney} 2014 {Mother/Daughter/I'm 30!} Coming Nov-Dec 2015 {Christmas at Disney}

Quote Originally Posted by Jgrewe View Post
    i have been in it at times where it smelled like urine. It was awful and not a great experience. Since then I have had great experiences!
    We were all looking at each other making that "something smells" face. It was odd to us that the other people in the cars didn't seem to notice it. I'm hoping that things aren't as stinky when we're there next.

Day 3 (Nov 9)

Hollywood Studios

Since we had been out late the night before for Wishes we had a late start this morning.The weather was very overcast the entire day. Mom and Dad grabbed us all ponchos while they were getting breakfast just in case. Because apparently we can be rational adults. We didn't need them, but it was good to have them for the rest of the trip.We caught the bus at 9 after another disappointing breakfast and painful coffee at OPR.

Welcome to HS!

We headed over to TSMM with our FP+ first thing.
    We were early so I had time to enjoy the toys surrounding it.

I won! It was a cute ride. I can see where it would be a must ride multiple times attraction for some families. Just not us.

We did Voyage of the Little Mermaid next. At this point, I think that the aesthetic pf the park was just failing for us. We felt like we weren't anywhere special. The show was cute but nothing that wow'd us. I think this was the sad tone of the day.

Over to Star Tours with our next FP+. We watched a little of the Jedi Training going on before getting in line.

It was fun, but it really felt like the area needed something new.

Time for our lunch at 50s Prime Time. We were early but got seated quickly.
    Mom and Dad had so much fun here. They loved the decorations. They loved the tv clips. They loved the entire idea. Our waitress was cute. She did the elbows on the table thing and got a laugh out of us all.

The food on the other hand was pretty disappointing to me. I went with the peanut butter and jelly shake which was delicious! The chicken soup which tasted like canned soup and the crab cakes that were okay. The slaw with the crab cakes was more interesting than they were. Mom and Dad got the fried chicken. My BF got the sampler platter. Dad and BF also got shakes of some sort.

At this point we were so ahead of schedule that we added in a Beauty and the Beast showing. It was pretty cute but we were all the way at the top of the seating.

Heading over to Muppets we stopped and watched these guys for a bit.

The Muppets show was amusing.

At this point we were again way ahead of schedule and bored out of our minds. We sat and rested for a bit then made our way over to Writers Stop for coffee and a carrot cake cookie.

As we were sitting there we started talking and realized that none of us were having fun in HS. It was all fine, but nothing had really sparked our interest.

We make our way over to Lights, Motors, Action! When we got seated as the stands were filling we discussed what we wanted to do. I said we could cancel our other scheduled day here and go to Epcot or MK. Everyone was very, very happy with that idea. After the show we decided that we'd do our ADR and then go home, skipping the Osborne Lights. I didn't take any pictures during the show because I was on my phone making new ADRs and FP+ selections.

We walked over to the Hollywood Brown Derby and honestly it was only the $10 per person cancellation charge that kept us in the park.

The restaurant was very pretty and we had a nice booth. Mom and I both went for the Cobb salad. Dad did salmon and BF did the roast chicken. We loved the salad. Everything was so finely chopped and each bite was full of Cobb goodness. It was so good. Dad and BF both enjoyed their entrees. We just wanted to leave the park so much that it cast a pall over dinner.

Back to CBR early and got to enjoy the early evening in our resort.

We were just so discontented with HS. Cancelling our second day meant that we missed RnR and ToT but the idea of coming back, even for a half day was just so unappealing.

Early to bed for RD at MK the next morning. We were really looking forward to it after HS.

Sorry to hear about HS, but I totally get it. Glad to hear that your meal at Brown Derby was good, though. At least it ended on a high note!
    Christy

Quote Originally Posted by podcat View Post
    Sorry to hear about HS, but I totally get it. Glad to hear that your meal at Brown Derby was good, though. At least it ended on a high note!
    I had Backstage Tour originally planned for this day, maybe if we had another ride it might have helped? Maybe? Although we did an afternoon in MK later in the week and didn't go on any rides and still had a more magical time.

I need to try to recreate the Cobb Salad here at home. It was so good! And the restaurant is very pretty. We were just not in the best mood to really enjoy it. We said if we could move ti to a different park we'd eat there again.

If it's any consolation, I doubt that Backlot Tour would have made it any better

We've haven't yet been to Brown Derby but I still want to try it someday.
    Christy

If it's any consolation, I doubt that Backlot Tour would have made it any better

We've haven't yet been to Brown Derby but I still want to try it someday.
    I would completely recommend the Brown Derby if you're going to be in the park. It felt like a step back in time and was very relaxing and classy.

Day 4 (Nov 10)

We're going to Magic Kingdom!!

We were up early and even the bad coffee couldn't dampen our spirits. We were going to the Magic Kingdom!

Another beautiful day at CBR.

At the bus stop at 7:30. No problems getting a bus and to the park.

We grabbed seats on the planter around a tree on the left side. Mom, Dad, and BF were all confused why we were waiting. I had to explain rope drop again at this point. And the opening ceremony. And why we were there so early. Again. I think that they got it this time.

The opening ceremony helped. Everyone was smiling during it.

The evil step sisters were great. They were telling people to take pictures of them. And the stepmother was pointing to men in the crowd. Very amusing.

OMG! Disney!!!!! We're really here!

Made our way over to Space Mountain. There was no one in the queue in front of us. It was so cool. Also, a great way to wake up in the morning. Again, Mom was hilarious during this. "It's dark!" Screaming, etc. Good times.

Then on to Astro Orbiter which had amazing views. I can't wait to ride this again. It was so beautiful looking over the park from up here!

Then on to Buzz where neither Mom or I could get our shots to register. Meh. It was a cute ride though.

We were supposed to head to Winnie the Pooh at this point but we all misread the itinerary and headed to Dumbo.

Love what they did here.

Just so many great details.

Barnstormer next. It was very cute and Mom said that more of the roller coasters should be like that. Then we realized we missed Pooh and this ended up being one of the longest lines of the trip for us. It was also very loud thanks to the interactive queue.
    There was also an issue where a guy had left his glasses or something on the ride so they were letting him check them and then just letting them go past without loading people on. It was so weird. And it was really holding up the line.

Next was the Tea Cups! Whee!! There was much spinning. It was good.

Off to Journey of the Little Mermaid. Almost got in the character meet line by mistake. The queue here was great. So many great details. Ride was also fun. Especially when we went under the sea.

At this point we're ready for our FP+ lunch at BoG. Yeah. This did not work out well. First, there was a line of people just trying to check in. Then they let Mom and Dad in for their reservation, but wouldn't let me and my BF in for ours even though both were early. So Mom and Dad were waiting on the other side of the bridge for them to let us in. Then we waited in line to order. And we had questions, but all of the cast members seemed to just vanish when we got to the kiosk. We were not happy at this point. Get our order in. Go find a table. Realize that we need to get our own drinks. The food comes out. Mom's needs additional cooking. So we're sitting there with our food, waiting for her's to come back out. There was a bit of a meltdown. We were obviously not the target audience for this place. It was so much of a hassle and loud that we just wanted to leave.

My croque monsieur. It was fine. There was hot cheesy goodness and the fries were crisp.

Yep, Dad and my BF both got the roast beef. Decent sandwich.

The statue was cute.

Next we were off to Seven Dwarfs Mine Train with FP+. We could not believe how long the standby was.

This was very fun and well themed. And the little Memory Maker video was so great! We were in the front car which freaked Mom out a little. Well, everything with roller coasters freaks her out.

Time to head over to Frontierland to get spots for the 3pm Festival of Fantasy Parade. I got confused about where Josh recommends because we ended up on a planter near the pass to Adventureland where the FP+ kiosks are. It ended up being a great spot. I headed off to Aloha Isle to get us a Dolewhip Float variety pack. One each of pineapple with pineapple, orange with pineapple, and vanilla with pineapple. I checked both sides and there were long lines each side so I settled in to wait. They were getting worried that I would miss the parade when I actually got to the counter to order. Made it back in time to hand out the snacks and see the parade.

This parade was a lot of fun. The floats have so much detail!

Time for our Enchanted Tales with Belle FP+. My BF got picked to be one of the knights. Hehe. It was a very cute show. It was so cute to see how excited the kids were about it.

We did the Goofy and Donald side of Pete's next. We were not willing to wait 20 minutes for the ladies. The characters were great. Very cute interaction.

Then we boarded what would turn out to be one of our favorite things in MK, the Walt Disney World Rail Road. We only took it to the front of the park this time because we needed to make our Mickey FP+ meet. Again, this was another very cute interaction. Mom, Dad, and my BF were all surprised when Mickey talked.

Then it was time to take the boat to the GF for our Citricos dinner. We love the boat.

We were early for our reservation. We checked in and just crashed in the waiting area. Even though they said we'd be seated at our reservation time, we were seated early.

This was a great dinner. We were at the window that overlooks the boat docks where you can rent the jetskis. It was so pretty. The restaurant was warmly lit and quiet. It was busy but our server was great and took time with us.

I had the swordfish with frutta de mare over couscous. This was wonderful. The swordfish was perfect. The couscous was well seasoned. It was just a well balanced and delicious dish.

Mom had the Berkshire pork two ways. She loved the pork belly and the tenderloin.

The guys both went with the steak and potatoes.

We actually had dessert. Dad and I did the lemon cheesecake. It was very light and tasty.

I don't remember what these were. Something chocolate that BF got and something with berries that Mom got. Maybe the Berry gratin?

Heading out to the lobby we enjoyed listening to the band for a while.

Then we took the monorail to MK and grabbed a bus back to the resort.
    This was a very good day. MK is clearly our favorite park. Even the BoG issue couldn't tarnish this day.

I'm enjoying your report. We are staying at CBR for the first time in June. Thanks for sharing!
    June 2011 Poly, May 2013 POR, June 2015 CBR, June 2017 POR, March 2018 CSR, June 2018 POR

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineOH View Post
    I'm enjoying your report. We are staying at CBR for the first time in June. Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks for reading!
    CBR is beautiful! Hope you enjoy it. :)

Sounds like a MUCH better day this time around! Sorry to hear BoG didn't work out - we've had good luck there every time so far. That picture you got from Astro Orbiter is awesome! I will admit we've only done that ride once. I rode with kiddo and I guess we were expecting it to be more like Dumbo or something - slower. I felt like we were going to fly out and the kiddo was freaked out, too. I can't imagine taking a photo while riding, but yours is so cool.

I'm also loving your pics of CBR. I'm trying to convince my mom to join us for the Flower & Garden Festival in April and I've already booked us at CBR. If that trip happens, it will be our first time there, as well. Looks beautiful.
    Christy

Sounds like a MUCH better day this time around! Sorry to hear BoG didn't work out - we've had good luck there every time so far. That picture you got from Astro Orbiter is awesome! I will admit we've only done that ride once. I rode with kiddo and I guess we were expecting it to be more like Dumbo or something - slower. I felt like we were going to fly out and the kiddo was freaked out, too. I can't imagine taking a photo while riding, but yours is so cool.

I'm also loving your pics of CBR. I'm trying to convince my mom to join us for the Flower & Garden Festival in April and I've already booked us at CBR. If that trip happens, it will be our first time there, as well. Looks beautiful.
    I didn't think Astro Orbiter would be as cool as it was. Being up high to begin with and then getting up in the ride was just so great. It is a must do again for this trip. :)

I really fell in love with CBR. If they had a better breakfast and lunch option, I would have stayed there again this trip. If you stay at the resort for dinner, try Shutters. It was surprisingly good!

Sorry you didn't care for HS. It works for my family because my kids love Rock and Roll and TOT if you do ever go back I would suggest the drawing class and the animation movie they are really fun.

Love all your food pictures I"m getting hungry at my desk.
    Marti Mac

Quote Originally Posted by MMDisney View Post
    Sorry you didn't care for HS. It works for my family because my kids love Rock and Roll and TOT if you do ever go back I would suggest the drawing class and the animation movie they are really fun.

Love all your food pictures I"m getting hungry at my desk.
    I really had fond memories of HS from back when it was MGM in the 90s. I remember doing Indiana Jones, ToT, Muppets, and Backstage tour. I was honestly surprised at how disappointed we all were. We had all been before and maybe it was the lack of anything new? We're completely skipping it this trip. Maybe if they put in some new stuff after a couple of years we'll try again.

We had a lot of fun eating out. Looking forward to trying more signatures this trip!

Following along. I understand your feelings about HS. Even with kids (and a great abiding love of TofT for DD6), for our next trip I am thinking we will do it at most two afternoons/evenings. It just is not as magical...seems old somehow.
    Kim