Page 4 of 317 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Rant thread

hope your package arrives soon, so you can stop obsessing and start playing (or prowling, as the case may be)

i just want to add that I love this I consider him an 80's hair band banana
    edith

[AKL 11/06 | POLY 9/07 | POLY 11/08 | CSR 9/09 | BC/POLY 7-8/10 | BLT 1/11 | AKV 1/12 | BLT/POLY 9/13]

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post

It's like those bananas just install themselves. I'm sure I've uninstalled them five or six times. Just out of control.
    I think they are procreating!
    (Just) Karen

Will work for Dole Whips. Brandie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DizDragonfly View Post
    I think they are procreating!
    They're like bunnies that way!

It wouldn't surprise me if this guy was behind it:

He seems to be everywhere else

only person to nominate a josh picture for potd guff's Avatar
    I will stick this here because I know that this will not be warmly received.

First, let me start out with the praise. This is the best Disney planning site that I've come across and I'm rather well traveled in that regard. The volume of information and manner in which it is presented is top notch.

However...(and this goes for all Disney forums) the constant use of abbreviations is maddening and, at best, a false efficiency. The best evidence of that is the 'Sticky Thread' listing approximately 200 abbreviations. Only the Pentagon uses abbreviations with more regularity than Disney forums. So the reader has to either A. learn them by rote or B. have the Sticky Thread open in a separate window or tab for easy access. While option B may seem like a reasonable solution, it only adds to the reader's effort.

Also, the abbreviations are confusing. For some folks these abbreviations already mean something. I'm sure I'm not alone in reading 'TP' and thinking toilet paper. WS is also World Series. TL is a car made by Acura. NE, SE and SW are directions on a compass. BLT is a rather tasty sandwich. And I could go on...

Also, there a duplications. TL could be Typhoon Lagoon or it could be Tommorrowland. SM could be Space Mountain, might be Splash Mountain. The reader will have hope for some context from the writer. But if some writes:

"Get FP for SM"
    and five lines later writes
    "Ride SM"
    only to be followed three lines later by
    "Ride SM with FP"

there's no hope for the reader.

There are also multiple abbreviations for the same thing. TSM and TSMM mean the same thing. As does SW and SWSA; however, MS and MSEP are entirely different.

For the uninitiated or those with poor memories the abbreviations are frustrating and don't add to the process. And that's the larger point. If something doesn't actually add to the experience, it isn't necessary. It may make writing somewhat quicker, but any quickness gained by writer is lost two fold by the reader. I would suggest that abbreviations slow the writing process, but that is a separate rant.

Forums aren't text messages or twitter. You can use more than 140 characters. While I believe I understand the root of the abbreviations, this newbie thinks we'd all be better off if we just typed stuff out.

I will end before this becomes TL;DR.

I'm right there with you. I hate abbreviations. It's really not that hard to write Space Mountain or Epcot. If you say that to someone who loves abbreviations they will ask you if you mean acronyms though.

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i love josh. Janine's Avatar
    But if having to type everything out were to discourage someone from providing touring suggestions, I'd rather decipher the abbreviations than not get the expert advice. I guess if I'm asking for help and someone is taking the time to provide it, I'm not going to complain about how it's delivered to me.

If someone's just ranting, is it ok to disagree with their rant... or are supposed to just let them at it?

I do know you're not alone is your dislike of abbreviations. Right Josh?
    Janine

With that being said, I can see how it would be annoying to have to type the full name of every attraction if you are someone like off2neverland. For her, it's probably easier to write "Ride SM with FP" etc. than it is to type the full names of attractions in multiple threads all day.

will take any rain...even if its men. RoonieRoo's Avatar
    Very soggy, muddy, flooding plains of the Blackland Prairie! Yay for flooding!
    Lol!
    Ss imo yar
    hth, hand

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i love josh. Janine's Avatar
    Ok, RonnieRoo,it's going to take me awhile to figure that one out.
    Janine

I think I know what most of the acronyms mean now, but I still have to look some up sometimes Not sure I would have come up with CBJ as Country Bear Jamboree. I think I was trying to figure out what sort of sandwich it was with jam. Crunchy Bacon Jam?

Will work for Dole Whips. Brandie's Avatar
    I agree that it might be tough to get used to, but it is possible!

I find that I'll post the abbreviations when I'm working on my plan, but type something out completely if I'm not in "touring plan" mode.

Well personally I would not take the time every time to rewrite someone's plan or give ideas if I had to type everything out all the time. I'm sure Christine would feel the same and she's the one doing the most of it on this board at this point. Unless Josh decrees no shortcuts for things, I think you're going to have to deal with it. You might say it's not Twitter but YOU try being the person who is typing those things out, over and over, day after day after day. Try it for a while and I think you would change your tune. That's why there's a list of what the abbreviations stand for.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    It's an amusement park, for goodness sake, how much planning could you need?

Yeah I would never force people to type the full name of the attraction. I thought I had come up with the perfect way to make the forum actually change the abbreviation to the full word automatically, but it didn't work out. I don't think there is an addon that would automatically change the acronym typed to the full name "on the fly." I don't think I've seen a system like that on any other forums either.

Like if you typed CBJ, the forum would automatically change it to Country Bear Jamboree.

I don't think that's possible, but I really wish that it was.

Yeah, figure out that automated thing and you could probably make some money!

Are you just going to send me a check?

I'm not opposed to abbreviations necessarily, its the volume, complexity and sometimes ambiguity. Speed may increase but clarity suffers.

I'm sure typing Triceratop Spin repeatedly is difficult bordering on impossible, but is TT Spin that much different from TS. It shortens the ride name and is easily identified - no lexicon required. If your formative years were in the 80s and you see TS and you wonder how Dee Snider is going to fit into your plans. Is 'Caps Lock IASW /Caps Lock' really easier and quicker than Small World?

These aren't directed criticisms because it is prevalent (or pervasive depending on your viewpoint) across all Disney forums

What about this? You can mouseover the acronym and it will tell you what it is. Does it work for you?

SM
    HM
    TT
    EP
    AKL

That's pretty "cool" I think

I'm getting a question mark but not a description.

SM (just a test)

nevermind: it worked - quite cool. Nice work.

I'll refer back to my original rant:

This is the best Disney planning site that I've come across and I'm rather well traveled in that regard. The volume of information and manner in which it is presented is top notch.

When you put the mouse cursor over it and leave it there for a second it should load a little box with the full name.

It works for me - that is very neat Josh! That would take care of probably 90% of them, except for when people don't use the "standard" ones. And the mods (and others) would have to learn the difference between one for Space Mountain vs. Splash Mountain - although personally I usually call those Splash and Space for clarity.

And PS - TT is Test Track, not Triceratop Spin! LOL.

I'll add a bunch tomorrow and see where we're at. I can theoretically add as much information as I want I think, so I can explain more about what FPV is or even say like "Test Track - Headlining attraction at Epcot" or whatever else. I'll ask my brain to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by guff View Post

I'm sure typing Triceratop Spin repeatedly is difficult bordering on impossible, but is TT Spin that much different from TS.
    Triceratop Spin ... waz'at? Ohhh .... you must mean Dino Dumbo?

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    What about this? You can mouseover the acronym and it will tell you what it is. Does it work for you?

SM
    HM
    TT
    EP
    AKL
    Hot diggity dog!! I was just wondering if something like that was possible and there you go implementing it already! You are a marvel of modern IT!
    (Just) Karen