Page 2 of 317 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Rant thread

Okay - here's my rant.

My mother lives with us, and most of the time that's just fine.

However, she has a really bad tendency to decide that something has to be done RIGHT NOW. Today, she decided that the coat closet needs to be cleaned out. I agree, it does need to be cleaned out. But I just got home from running errands and I don't particularly feel like doing it right now. I don't have a problem with doing it later, but I want a few minutes to sit and veg out on the couch. So I told her that - I don't want to do it now and it doesn't need to be done now. It can wait a few (it's not like there's a Goodwill truck on its way to my house to pick up stuff in an hour). She proceeded to start blasting me about how I'm so lazy and has gotten herself into a huff (she's spent the last five minutes sighing loudly in my general direction).

I love my mom - but it's darn frustrating. Yes, I'm on my computer, and right now I'm not doing any work on it - but most of the time, I'm either grading or doing homework when I'm online. I teach and I take three grad classes a quarter, so I don't have a lot of free time. When I do have free time, I'm a bit selfish and don't always want to waste it doing things that don't really matter to me. I don't care if the coat closet is a bit messy - it's not really hurting anything - but because it's important to her, I'm supposed to drop everything to deal with it. And that's how it always is - if I'm in the middle of grading or doing homework, I'm supposed to drop it to do whatever she wants done, even though that really throws off my rhythm. She rarely asks what I'm doing, so any negative response on my part is greeted with the same passive-aggressive treatment, even though I often have a good reason not to drop what I'm doing.
    Lisa

I think it's an old people thing. They get an idea into their brains and it's time to do it. My dad is the same way. He'll decide to clean and it doesn't matter what anyone else is doing or what time it is. He doesn't do a very good job either

known as jane elsewhere, but her friends call her meannatasha

Lightbulb

Not to be a smart alec, but any reason why she doesn't just clean the closet herself? My husband has a touch of the OCD, and doesn't understand the meaning of the word "later"; so I can see that scenario in my house. When he can't take it any more, he'll just do it himself. Of course there are consequences to that also, i.e. I won't be able to find anything, or he'll throw something away (I'm talking perfectly good clothes into the trash can) instead of bagging it up for charity.

Quote Originally Posted by roball View Post
    Here's mine: My DS's (8) class has had an ongoing lice problem since the first week of school. We've been very lucky and have so far being infested, but it's almost March 1st and one or two kids still have nits!
    My DD got lice when we lived in Florida and it took SO long to get rid of them - SO many days out of daycare, SO many days off work, SO many hours of combing and treating. It sucked. I am crossing my fingers for you that they stay away from your house. Hairspray and other hair "product" is recommended as a preventative, if you need it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    It's an amusement park, for goodness sake, how much planning could you need?

loves surprises, but not very good at them Thadine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    That reminded me...
    My soon to be five year old had stated that she wants 14 babies. When I told her, 'ya know, you actually have to take care of them', she said. 'Oh, ok, I'll only have 7 then'.
    Thadine

Quote Originally Posted by famouschinesecontroller View Post
    Not to be a smart alec, but any reason why she doesn't just clean the closet herself? My husband has a touch of the OCD, and doesn't understand the meaning of the word "later"; so I can see that scenario in my house. When he can't take it any more, he'll just do it himself. Of course there are consequences to that also, i.e. I won't be able to find anything, or he'll throw something away (I'm talking perfectly good clothes into the trash can) instead of bagging it up for charity.
    A bunch of the stuff in the closet is either mine or my husband's stuff, so while she could clean some of it, I really do need to determine what is and isn't staying (or perfectly good items will be thrown out, much like in your situation). Honestly though - it drives me crazy. I don't mind doing stuff, but I don't get the right now mentality. I don't see how it's going to make a difference when it gets done, but to her it's worth getting upset over it.
    Lisa

Will work for Dole Whips. Brandie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
    My DD got lice when we lived in Florida and it took SO long to get rid of them - SO many days out of daycare, SO many days off work, SO many hours of combing and treating. It sucked. I am crossing my fingers for you that they stay away from your house. Hairspray and other hair "product" is recommended as a preventative, if you need it.
    We had that problem when we lived in Florida, too. Nitmix solved it! I'd highly recommend it.

tests unsafe roller coasts in china blyday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thadine View Post
    Brenda I feel you frustration, you should do all you could to take Samma with you.

I was thinking that maybe your DBIL and wife aren't interested in visiting DL and they just hide behind the fact that they don't have money.
    I have family members that told me straight in my face that they think it's a stupid thing to spend so much money for Disney when there are so many other cool places to visit.

So maybe you should asked them straight out, if they don't want to go, fine, then don't go but give their daughter the chance to go with you guys because she really wants to.

As for your older niece I won't even go there, these kids nowadays sees marriage like a fairytale.
    They all want to get married and have babies, lots of them if possible.
    They don't even stop to think about all the responsabilities they will get.
    And whatever you say they won't listen anyway.

So I would focus on taking Samma with you and other family members that really appreciate what you guys are doing for them.
    Wish I was your family
    Well......it isn't that they don't want to go....it is totally a pride thing. Clay's in that he wants to be the one to pay for and take his family to Disney so that he can get all of the glory and told over and over what an amazing dad he is. Cindy's pride is in the ability to say, "Poor picked on me.....I have never been able to go to Disney." so that she can get everyone's sympathy about how much she has to suffer and sacrifice as a stay home mom. Seriously......I want to slap both of them. Oh and to confirm that they want to go......she has been known to make comments to the others about how she had her chance but the couldn't go with us at the time and now we won't take them again. She actually harassed the sister who did go with us after they turned us down (because it would be irresponsible and unethical!!!)

We won't even get started with Avery. She used to be this amazing kid and I could see her doing this amazing things as she grew up and when she grew up. Then she turned 13 and turned off her brain......to the point of going from a straight A student to failing classes. She decided that the "Airhead" label fit her best and plays it up to the max. It just frustrates me to see her run into a marriage before she has even taken the time to find out who she really is. She isn't ready for this. I love her to pieces and I wish that she could see that marriage is forever (especially important in our faith) and being a single college student with no real cares in the world where you can really learn who you are only happens once. She is just giving up so much because of this need. I knew her dating a 23 y/o was a bad idea!!!!

Samma on the other hand is the sweetest, most awesome thing you've ever met. She has not interested in boys. She has a good solid head on her shoulders. At not quite 12 years old, she floored me with her maturity when my DBIL died and she stepped up to the plate to be there for her cousin (who is only 2 months younger then her.) She told me about how she'd made a list if things to do to help Kaylie get through it and then realized that she needed to do a few of those things for herself so that she could be strong enough to help Kaylie. And she has.....Samma is the only person who Kaylie has just sat down and cried with. Seriously.....this girl deserves to go to Disney!!!! She is amazing!!!!!

OK....enough of my rant.....
    Lisa: I totally feel for you. My parents are both like that only my mom is this micro-manager on top of it. As much as I love her.....I could never live with my mom. Either I'd kill her or myself within the first week!!!!! Oh and that passive/aggressive thing......the worst!!!!

Darcie: Sorry about the "Unwelcomed" guests on your trip. Sending you tons of PD that they will have something come up and not be able to go!!!

Gregg: Sounds like a fun night. I can laugh because I don't ever have to experience that. It just helps me feel better about not being able to have kids when I hear stories like that one!!!!

Janine: Loved your daughter's thinking. I always wanted 100 kids until my mom and sister told me how stupid I was enough that I decided to bring it down to a more reasonable 10. Maybe your daughter will be like me and end up not being able to have kids........then she can just enjoy everyone else's!!!
    Brenda

I got some new "Adidas" socks from Costco. Not only do they have two colors on the toes (half have black toes and half have gray) but it's very difficult to tell when they're inside out!!! It really throws me off if I have one foot with gray toes and one with black toes and one of them is almost always inside out!! The dryer almost always eats a sock and I very often have one extra gray sock and one extra black sock and they don't make a pair!!

MY LIFE SUCKS

wears a coca-cola shirt to club cool just in case vatmark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I got some new "Adidas" socks from Costco. Not only do they have two colors on the toes (half have black toes and half have gray) but it's very difficult to tell when they're inside out!!! It really throws me off if I have one foot with gray toes and one with black toes and one of them is almost always inside out!! The dryer almost always eats a sock and I very often have one extra gray sock and one extra black sock and they don't make a pair!!

MY LIFE SUCKS

That's why you should buy all white socks or at least socks with the same colored toes. Then you don't have to worry when you lose a sock. There will always be a match. Or just do what I do and wear 2 different colored ones.

Ann

will take any rain...even if its men. RoonieRoo's Avatar
    Very soggy, muddy, flooding plains of the Blackland Prairie! Yay for flooding!
    Yep, all white socks. But I suspect that if my husband did have different colored toes, he wouldn't notice.

Well EXCUSE ME if I want to have stylish toes okay????????????????????????????? Have you ever heard of accessorizing??? Matching handbag color to sock toe color????

Well EXCUSE ME if I want to have stylish toes okay????????????????????????????? Have you ever heard of accessorizing??? Matching handbag color to sock toe color????
    You have been selling women's clothes for too long!!!!!!

Sorry that you are going through such a rough thing. Aren't you glad that I at least started this thread so that you have a place to come an vent?!?
    Brenda

Will work for Dole Whips. Brandie's Avatar
    MY LIFE SUCKS
    At least you are no longer always-one-day-away-from-a-Disney-vacation. On top of mismatched socks, that would make life truly unbearable.

My rant for today although I have ranted quietly in my head about it for a while now.

My daughters school bus comes at 6:03 on the dot every morning. It's the 1st stop on the route. This bus driver is so punctual. She comes at the exact and I mean exact same time every morning. 6:03am. If she turns into the neighborhood 1 min. early she will wait at the end of the street until it is 6:03am and then come to the bus stop. There is only 1 other girl that takes the bus at my daughters stop. She lives 3 houses away. We also live 3 houses away. I drive my daughter to the bus stop because it is cold and pitch black out at that time of the morning. They also drive their daughter to the bus stop. I can see their garage door from the bus stop. These people can never be on time for the bus. The bus comes at 6:03 and I see their garage door open at 6:02. Then they have to back the car out and get down to the bus stop. I would say they make it to the bus stop on time 1x a week. The bus drives up past their house and always has to end up stopping for them. It is so annoying. How come I can manage to get my daughter to the bus stop on time every morning? I would love door to door service too. It's not like the bus comes at all different times. It has become a joke in the car with me and my daughter about whether they will make it or not. Can't they set the alarm for 2 minutes earlier? This is a high school aged kid we are talking about. I can understand if you run late every now and then but this has been an ongoing thing. I would love for the bus driver to tell them at some point that if they are not at the stop when she comes by then she is not stopping but I don't think that will happen.

Ann

My daughters school bus comes at 6:03 on the dot every morning. It's the 1st stop on the route. This bus driver is so punctual. She comes at the exact and I mean exact same time every morning. 6:03am. If she turns into the neighborhood 1 min. early she will wait at the end of the street until it is 6:03am and then come to the bus stop. There is only 1 other girl that takes the bus at my daughters stop. She lives 3 houses away. We also live 3 houses away. I drive my daughter to the bus stop because it is cold and pitch black out at that time of the morning. They also drive their daughter to the bus stop. I can see their garage door from the bus stop. These people can never be on time for the bus. The bus comes at 6:03 and I see their garage door open at 6:02. Then they have to back the car out and get down to the bus stop. I would say they make it to the bus stop on time 1x a week. The bus drives up past their house and always has to end up stopping for them. It is so annoying. How come I can manage to get my daughter to the bus stop on time every morning? I would love door to door service too. It's not like the bus comes at all different times. It has become a joke in the car with me and my daughter about whether they will make it or not. Can't they set the alarm for 2 minutes earlier? This is a high school aged kid we are talking about. I can understand if you run late every now and then but this has been an ongoing thing. I would love for the bus driver to tell them at some point that if they are not at the stop when she comes by then she is not stopping but I don't think that will happen.
    Ugh!! That is sooo annoying!! But I have to say, I blame it on the bus driver...If he/she would not stop and wait for the late child, that family would get the message pretty darn quick to get there on time!
    edith

[AKL 11/06 | POLY 9/07 | POLY 11/08 | CSR 9/09 | BC/POLY 7-8/10 | BLT 1/11 | AKV 1/12 | BLT/POLY 9/13]

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i love josh. Janine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4mickeyfreax View Post
    If he/she would not stop and wait for the late child, that family would get the message pretty darn quick to get there on time!
    Yeah, because I must say, if I knew the bus driver would pick my kid up at the house... that would be very tempting.
    Janine

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i love josh. Janine's Avatar
    I would be funny if the bus driver did as you suggest we saw a rant on here.... 'my kid was walking to the bus stop and the bus driver just drove right by. They didn't even stop. Can you believe it!'
    Janine

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    I would be funny if the bus driver did as you suggest we saw a rant on here.... 'my kid was walking to the bus stop and the bus driver just drove right by. They didn't even stop. Can you believe it!'
    That would be funny.

My son who is in middle school told me his bus had to stop the other day for the 2 middle school kids of this same family. They made it by the skin of their teeth this morning.

Edith your right the bus driver is to blame too. I can see stopping once or twice but this has become a frequent thing. My daughter said the bus driver did say something but it still continues. My kids know that when it is time to get out to the bus stop it is time. I don't care what they look like or if they haven't eaten. They wake up in plenty of time to get done and eat in the morning. If they mess around and aren't ready...tough. They go as is. Luckily it's never been an issue.

Ann

reminding you how wonderful and accommodating you are
    Josh - sorry about your sock situation, but at least your new socks didn't come with holes in the toes like mine did.

Ann - That bus situation is frustrating. It's not fair that the people who don't 'follow the rules' get the benefit of door to door service.

That is totally frustrating. Maybe you should ask the driver if she will just stop by your house also as it would be easier then you driving down to the bus stop. If she says, "No" then simply say, "But you do it for this family almost every day....why not for us?" Maybe she will get the message that she is enabling the family. The bottom line is that until they have to be at the bus stop on time....they will continue to take advantage of the situation.

At least you are teaching your kids the importance of being on time and I guess in the end......that is what is most important. Sorry that you have this other family showing them a bad example and a bus driver rewarding their bad example.
    Brenda

The late school bus girl didn't make the bus today. Must have been running way to late to even attempt to make the bus.

Todays rant:

Why does the government get 40% of DH's work bonus? The bonus amount sounds nice at first until you realize 40% of that is going to the government.Then it looks like a pittance.

Ann

We get annual bonuses at my job and it is painful to see how much goes for taxes. But I don't plan for that money (our is based on company performance and we never know how much it might be) so whatever does end up in my check really seems like a bonus, and I try not to think about the tax part.

I just read that bus thing from Ann - that's ridiculous. I would definitely tell the bus driver you want to be picked up in front of your house as well and see if that triggers anything with stopping doing that with the other family.

I drove my son to the bus stop about a week ago because it was raining and the stupid bus driver left the bus stop before Max got to the bus - I was so PO'd - what a moron (driver not Max!) - he was like 10 feet behind the bus, kind of jogging to the bus, and there goes the bus around the corner to the next street. I had to start laying on my horn (sure the neighbors loved that at 7:15 AM) to get him to stop so Max could run to the bus. Poor Max turns around and looks at me while the bus is pulling away, with his hands up in the air - like WTF? Even though at 12, thankfully, he doesn't say that yet! But I was! So I guess I did have my own bus rant, didn't I?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    It's an amusement park, for goodness sake, how much planning could you need?

Quote Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
    So I guess I did have my own bus rant, didn't I?
    LOL!! It sounds like you need to let that out Vicki I would have been hating on the bus driver, too!
    edith

[AKL 11/06 | POLY 9/07 | POLY 11/08 | CSR 9/09 | BC/POLY 7-8/10 | BLT 1/11 | AKV 1/12 | BLT/POLY 9/13]

It sounds like Vicki and Ann need to get their bus drivers together to teach each other: one how to just leave the kid and the other to have a little patience....I mean...if the kid is there and running to the bus....you don't just drive off!!!!!!

And Ann......I'd hate that too!!! Fortunately (or unfortunately...) this never happens to us because neither of us ever get bonuses!!!
    Brenda