Thread: 2Q's-Feb 2015 availability and upgrading to APs

2Q's-Feb 2015 availability and upgrading to APs

Current situation: Hopefully a new DVC member soon. 1 wk into ROFR period on a 150 pt OKW Sept UY. 150 2013 banked points, 150 2014 points and 150 2015 points coming. Closing should be by Nov 4.

The Cast: DW, DS15, DS 13, DD 7, and Me

The Plan: Two trips in a 12 month period. First, Wed Feb 18- Sun Feb 22 2015(4 nights at the end of presidents week and Mardi Gras).
    Second, 6 or 7 nights beginning Feb 6, 2016.
    I plan on buying Mousesavers UT 5 day hoppers and upgrading them to DVC AP's after entering the park on our first arrival day. If pricing remains as it is now, I can save about 150.00 if I get credit for the "disney price" of the hoppers (1917.00 w/ tax) when upgrading to DVC AP's (total cost before credit - approx. 2580.00). UT 5day hoppers will be 1764.20 w/ tax.

Question 1: what can I reasonably expect to be available for the Feb 18, 2015 trip when I won't be able to book until mid November? We want to use the 150 banked points and can even use some 2014 points (up to 20 or so) and still have enough for a 2br for a week in Feb 2016 using 2014 and 2015 points. A 1 BR that sleeps 5 will still work for the 1st trip, but I think those go fast.

Question 2: if I buy the hoppers, link them to my reservation when made in November, make FP+ reservations at 60 days, will they remain when I upgrade? I don't want to buy the hoppers until I know we have a place to stay, so will buying in Mid November give me enough time to get and link the tickets before my 60 day FP+ window opens in mid December? (ok that was 3 questions)

Thanks for any input! If I am missing anything, please let me know.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Not sure about Question 1. It's anyone's guess.

The answer to Question 2 is yes, if you also have a resort reservation linked to your MDE. Any valid ticket media will grant you a 60-day FPP booking window when you've a resort reservation.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Thanks,George. Just to clarify, though, upgrading the tickets at the park won't mess up any FP+ selections in place for that trip, right?

Quote Originally Posted by 3dadknight View Post
    Thanks,George. Just to clarify, though, upgrading the tickets at the park won't mess up any FP+ selections in place for that trip, right?
    It shouldnt. you will still have valid ticket media, which is really all f+ is concerned with once you arrive (to book ay 60 days it is that and your room reservation). We are doing this in a few weeks for one of our group, I will let you know if we have any issues after the trip.
    Last edited by pixarprincess; 09-09-2014 at 02:53 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks. Now I just have to wait through ROFR then hope for relatively last minute DVC availability during a week with CL8!

I checked the February dates for you. Right now there is limited availability for most resorts for a 1 Bedroom and Studio. Limited availability means some of your dates are NOT available in the range you request. You can wait list however. The only resort with "Best Availability" , meaning all of your dates are available now, is Saratoga Springs , 1 bedroom. You still have 2 more months to go before booking. Animal Kingdom seems to have lots available close to check in dates when I was booking a January trip last week.
    We also just bought DVC from The Timeshare Store. After closing, it took 3-4 weeks to get our membership from Disney and then still had to call Member services to get them to finish the transfer even though they had snail mailed me my numbers.
    So, I am thinking your Feb trip is iffy, unfortunately. You are in Magic Season then, using more points. But I found that with Magic Season, DVC members aren't as likely to book as in Choice or Adventure because those 2 seasons cost fewer points. Makes sense, but is counter intuitive for seasons that have high park usage. (See Josh's calendar.) You might be able to book and jump around to 2 resorts.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by 3dadknight View Post
    I did this in April for our whole family - 6 day UT tix upgraded to DVC Premium APs - no problem with FPs at all. The only problem was that we could only book 6 days worth of FPs prior to arrival since that's the length of ticket we already had, and our trip was longer than that. It's an additional complication to consider when doing the 3rd party ticket - upgrade thing.

If I was saving only a small amount of money (not sure what that is), I may forego buying the most discounted ticket from a third party seller for buying the length of ticket that I actually need for the # of days we were staying (and still upgrading at the parks).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    It's an amusement park, for goodness sake, how much planning could you need?

Grammy, thanks for checking. We are not too worried about where we stay or using a bunch of points since we will have to use the 2013 banked points. As long as we have enough left over for the 2016 trip we'll be happy just to be there.

Vicki_c, my plan is 5 day hoppers which will cover every day including arrival and departure days. There is more savings on the hoppers and we won't be rushed to go to guest services before being able to hop. We are definite hoppers with two teen boys and a 7yo girl. Savings should be 150 if my math is right.

Thanks, all.

If you are concerned about losing FP reservations, you can always upgrade your tickets at the end of the trip. That's what we did because while I heard our ADRs would be fine, I had also heard about them being disconnected and having problems reconnecting. This was before Magic Bands

Quote Originally Posted by ahsteinert View Post
    If you are concerned about losing FP reservations, you can always upgrade your tickets at the end of the trip. That's what we did because while I heard our ADRs would be fine, I had also heard about them being disconnected and having problems reconnecting. This was before Magic Bands
    You don't want to do that though if you're upgrading to APs because you would miss any AP discounts, ability to buy a Tables in Wonderland card if you wanted to do that, and even park hopping if your original tickets weren't hoppers. It's usually best to upgrade to APs right away. We've upgrade to APs both before and after MBs and never had any issues with anything.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    It's an amusement park, for goodness sake, how much planning could you need?