Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Peanut butter is yummy.
    That looks good roball- thanks. Darn- not avail for kindle :(

I've been going thru this list-too many books, not enough time

http://www.historicalnovels.info/

Netflix queue currently at 3,912 - all Disney related LizD's Avatar
    Currently reading with highlighter and notebook in hand: The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World with Kids

Peanut butter is yummy.
    World Without End and Pillars of the Earth- loved them both- Pillars more than World I think
    they set me off on a medieval era reading spree then I got a bit weary of all that medieval stuff. What a miserable life those people really had.

I started sample of Hangman's Daughter yesterday and was a bit grossed out/depressed- think I'll skip that one for now.

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar
    I've read The Glass Castle and liked it. She's got another book out but I haven't read it.
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
    November 2010 @ Pop Century
    August 2016 @ Pop Century
    August 2017 @ DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando at Seaworld
    May 2019 @ All-Stars Movies
    August 2019 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

Great thread - I got a Nook for Christmas from hubby. I just need to figure out how to download some stuff from the library.

Hi Vicki, Thadine & Christine :) & Josh :)

Tonya

Let's see - I got a Kindle this past fall, so I've been trying to get books on that when I can't get them from the library. I've read a bunch of the free titles (not the classics - I've read enough of those doing a BA, MA, and a good body of the work toward a PhD in English, so I'm taking a break), but I've now hit the point where most of the free ones that are left are religious in nature, and quite frankly that's just not my cup of tea.

I tend to alternate between chick lit, young adult lit, and fantasy lit when I'm choosing books. I really enjoyed Graceling and Fire by Kristin Cashore, and Sherwood Smith has done some good stuff (they both do YA fantasy), but I've run out of titles from them. I adore an Australian author by the name of Jennifer Fallon, but, again, I've ran out of books. She does really intriguing political stuff set in fantasy universes (but magic tends to be a very minor component, which I actually prefer - I'm not big on the whole magic can fix every problem view that some authors have).

Christopher Moore is a very funny, irreverent author who I've read several times (though I don't recommend him if you're easily offended - he swears and doesn't hold much sacred, but he writes some of the most memorable characters I've ever encountered). I loved Devil in the White City and Thunderstruck by Erik Larson, and I personally find a lot of historical non-fiction fascinating.

I read a bunch of Meg Cabot's chick lit (not the Princess Diaries books) a few years ago and she was very funny - and I liked Elizabeth Young for the same reason. I'm not big on depressing - if I'm going to go in that direction, I'll go back to the classics, as they tend to do it better. But I'm always looking for someone new to read
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by jilly7896 View Post

I have 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' on my Nook to read next but I don't want to start because I heard it is really slow to start
    It is a bit tough to get into with all the non-Americanized names/places/etc., but once I caught on to who people were and ignored the unfamiliar stuff I got into it and got hooked. Not my normal cup of tea, but really engrossing and enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by jillyb View Post
    I also highly recommend "The Huger Games" and the two books that followed.
    I have this one out from the library. It's next on my to be read pile. Right now I'm reading Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare. I really enjoyed her Mortal Instruments books (waiting for the next one) and this one is the prequal.
    (Just) Karen

I was reading Mr. Strange and Dr. Norrell on DH's recommendation, he loved it and finished the book in about a week. I invested about 350 pages into it, and had to quit, it wasn't my thing. That is totally unlike me. When I start a book, I am usually committed until the end (hence the 350 pages)--couldn't do it for this one. I just started Eggs last night. DD10 read it as an assignment for school, and really liked it, and now wants me to read it so we can have a book discussion.
    edith

[AKL 11/06 | POLY 9/07 | POLY 11/08 | CSR 9/09 | BC/POLY 7-8/10 | BLT 1/11 | AKV 1/12 | BLT/POLY 9/13]

Books I've read (and liked ) lately:

Room
    The Help
    Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series
    Secret Daughter
    The Guernsey Literary & Potatoe Peel Pie Society
    The Book of Negroes
    The Glass Castle
    Sarah's Key
    Water for Elephants
    The Forgotten Garden

I also read a lot by John Lescroart, David Baldacci, Joy Fielding, Kathy Reichs.

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i love josh. Janine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lisapennie View Post
    I loved Devil in the White City and Thunderstruck by Erik Larson, and I personally find a lot of historical non-fiction fascinating.
    Devil in the White City was one of my fsvorite books, I love, love, loved it. It was so fascinating. I have Thunderstuck in a pile somewhere, I think, but haven't gotten to it yet.

I used to exclusively read non-fiction. Figured I may as well learn something while I'm reading. Just recently I let some historical fiction in and have now opened it up more. I figured, I watch movies that aren't true, why can't I read a book just for the shear enjoyment. Just because it's not true, doesn't mean I'm not learning something.

Oh and I had let the Twilight series thru my 'non-fiction' wall. Oh come on! I'm sure there's more of you. One of us had to admit it first.
    Janine

reminding you how wonderful and accommodating you are
    Quote Originally Posted by 4 I just started[I
    Eggs [/I]last night. DD10 read it as an assignment for school, and really liked it, and now wants me to read it so we can have a book discussion.
    I have Eggs on my Nook and am planning to read it along with my DS 10.

proud to keep the transportation forum the most civilized jilly7896's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Oh and I had let the Twilight series thru my 'non-fiction' wall. Oh come on! I'm sure there's more of you. One of us had to admit it first.
    I read them too! and enjoyed them...

Travel Consultant with Mayfair Travel
    Email: jill@mayfairtravel.com
    Like me on Facebook!

Sept 2010- CBR - Trip Report
    Sept 2011- POP - Trip Report

1991-offsite * 2003-GKTW * 2007-ASMU * 2009-FW * 2010-CBR * 2011-POP * 2012-OKW, CR & offsite * 2013-Poly, BWI & DCL Fantasy
    2014- WL, DCL Magic, BWI, PBH & CSR * 2015- AKV, DCL Dream, DLH, GCH, RPR & DCL Fantasy * 2016- BWI, GCH, DLH, DCL Magic (Roy Disney Suite!)

Haha. I read & loved the Twilight series too. I also read the Stookie Stackhouse (True Blood) series. I didn't love them but they are entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcie View Post
    Haha. I read & loved the Twilight series too. I also read the Stookie Stackhouse (True Blood) series. I didn't love them but they are entertaining.
    Read them too! I actually liked them more than Twilight! A little more adult than Twilight, but not as "heavy" as the show!

Like me on Facebook!

1991-offsite * 2003-GKTW * 2007-ASMU * 2009-FW * 2010-CBR * 2011-POP * 2012-OKW, CR & offsite * 2013-Poly, BWI & DCL Fantasy
    2014- WL, DCL Magic, BWI, PBH & CSR * 2015- AKV, DCL Dream, DLH, GCH, RPR & DCL Fantasy * 2016- BWI, GCH, DLH, DCL Magic (Roy Disney Suite!)

I am reading [I]Tick Tock[I] by James Patterson. I love most of his 'series' books. I think this is the 4th Michael Bennett book.

I read the Twilight Series and tried the Sookie books.

It's interesting to see how many of you have read the same books as each other. Maybe I'll check some of them out. I'm definitely more of a murder/mystery/suspense kind that likes to get caught up on the first page.

I like the Michael Bennett books, too.

Devil in the White City was one of my fsvorite books, I love, love, loved it. It was so fascinating. I have Thunderstuck in a pile somewhere, I think, but haven't gotten to it yet.

I used to exclusively read non-fiction. Figured I may as well learn something while I'm reading. Just recently I let some historical fiction in and have now opened it up more. I figured, I watch movies that aren't true, why can't I read a book just for the shear enjoyment. Just because it's not true, doesn't mean I'm not learning something.

Thunderstruck was really good - I think in some ways I actually found it more fascinating than Devil in the White City - possibly because it dealt with the science behind the telegraph, and I'm kind of a gigantic dork. I found the architecture info in DiWC interesting - but I think a lot of that is because I'm from Chicago. I don't know that I would have liked it as much if I was from somewhere else.

I read the Twilight books and actually did like them more than I thought I would, but I'm certainly not a die-hard fan. I used to really enjoy the Sookie Stackhouse books, but I don't think the more recent ones are as good (same thing happened with Laurell K Hamilton - loved her first few books, and then they became badly written erotica. I have no problem with erotica, but it would be nice if it was actually sexy).
    Lisa

reminding you how wonderful and accommodating you are
    I loved Devil in the White City and Thunderstruck by Erik Larson, and I personally find a lot of historical non-fiction fascinating.
    I loved Devil in the White City. I am going to look into Thunderstruck.

Guilty. Loved them!

Quote Originally Posted by Darcie View Post
    I like Sookie too. I started rereading it recently.

Laurell K Hamilton - loved her first few books, and then they became badly written erotica. I have no problem with erotica, but it would be nice if it was actually sexy).
    Yeah, the earliest were definitely the best. It's hard to find the story between all the erotica stuff now.

I'm a huge fan of the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. It doesn't fall into one specific genre. But, it's definitely historical fiction. I have a box full of copies of the first book I still have to give away (won them in a contest). If anyone is interested in one, PM me your address and I'll send you one.
    (Just) Karen

Certified Disney Addict. No Really, She Has The Paperwork joy4tigger's Avatar
    I admit that I like mind candy books LOL. So I usually am reading something written by Nora Roberts or her alias as JD Robb. However, this last week I was in the library and the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo was on the shelf so I checked it out. I agree that it is slow starting and I am just starting to get into it and am only about 1/4 in.
    Joy

Quote Originally Posted by joy4tigger View Post
    I admit that I like mind candy books LOL. So I usually am reading something written by Nora Roberts or her alias as JD Robb. However, this last week I was in the library and the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo was on the shelf so I checked it out. I agree that it is slow starting and I am just starting to get into it and am only about 1/4 in.
    I like Nora Roberts too. I just finished the first of the bridal series (I forget what its called). I'm waiting for the next one to become available from the library. Ok, I think I'm going to start the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Like me on Facebook!

Excited to welcome a new "Josh" into the world NandK's Avatar
    I am reading The Five Greatest Warriors by Matthew Reilly on a Sony eReader. This is the final book in the Jack West Jr. series which is purely for entertainment purposes. It's a fun read and moves along at a good pace. I also like to read the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn but I have read all of them so I have to find other sources of action heroes.

I love the digital reader. It makes it easier to transport my books from place to place and the page quality is great considering the reader I am using is at least 2 years old. I'm sure the new versions are much better.

loves surprises, but not very good at them Thadine's Avatar
    Another fan of Twilight here shhhh

Any fan of Sandra Brown?
    Thadine

Certified Disney Addict. No Really, She Has The Paperwork joy4tigger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jilly7896 View Post
    I like Nora Roberts too. I just finished the first of the bridal series (I forget what its called). I'm waiting for the next one to become available from the library. Ok, I think I'm going to start the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
    Oh the bridal series was great fun! I still haven't read the last one in the series, though. I should try to reserve it from the library.
    Joy

Will work for Dole Whips. Brandie's Avatar
    Read them over and over again. Midnight Sun and the Bree Tanner book, as well.