Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All about the Rider Switch Pass (aka Rider Swap)

Please help me try to figure this out...
    We are going with another family. We have 3 girls...6, 10, and 13. Our friends have 2, 10, and 18.

Is there anyway to work the RS so that the 4 other kids get to ride again?

TIA!!

Quote Originally Posted by lync View Post
    Please help me try to figure this out...
    We are going with another family. We have 3 girls...6, 10, and 13. Our friends have 2, 10, and 18.

Is there anyway to work the RS so that the 4 other kids get to ride again?

TIA!!
    You haven't specified who meets height requirement for the ride you are considering and who doesn't. If both 2 and 6 year old do not meet height requirement you could potentially approach as your 2 different family groupings. You would have one adult plus 6 year old get swap and not ride and a second adult and 2 year old not ride and get a second swap ticket. Then 6 people can ride on the swap tickets for your second ride, 3 per ticket and you can have it be anyone you like from your party who meets the ride requirements so the 4 older children could all ride again.

If the 6 year old meets the height requirement but doesn't want to ride you may or may not be able to get a swap (see comments above, it is very CM dependent ).

If the 6 year old meets the height requirements and wants to ride you will only be able to get 1 swap ticket for the 2 year old that is good for 3 people, so not all 4 could re-ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    You haven't specified who meets height requirement for the ride you are considering and who doesn't. If both 2 and 6 year old do not meet height requirement you could potentially approach as your 2 different family groupings. You would have one adult plus 6 year old get swap and not ride and a second adult and 2 year old not ride and get a second swap ticket. Then 6 people can ride on the swap tickets for your second ride, 3 per ticket and you can have it be anyone you like from your party who meets the ride requirements so the 4 older children could all ride again.

If the 6 year old meets the height requirement but doesn't want to ride you may or may not be able to get a swap (see comments above, it is very CM dependent ).

If the 6 year old meets the height requirements and wants to ride you will only be able to get 1 swap ticket for the 2 year old that is good for 3 people, so not all 4 could re-ride.
    It is just the 2 year old. My 6 year old is 49-50 inches tall. Thank you for your response. That is what I thought. I was just hoping there was a way!

Has anyone heard of a CM requiring that all guests use their FPs before issuing a rider swap ticket?

My friend is going with 6 total, including one kid who is 2 years old. He was thinking of using rider swap as a way to get extra fast passes. for example, 1 parent and 2 kids would have a FP for Splash Mountain and the other parent and one child would have a FP for Big Thunder. That way they could double up their FPs for height restricted rides. Is there any realistic chance that the CM at Splash Mountain would require all 5 family members to scan their FPs prior to giving out the rider swap ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
    Has anyone heard of a CM requiring that all guests use their FPs before issuing a rider swap ticket?

My friend is going with 6 total, including one kid who is 2 years old. He was thinking of using rider swap as a way to get extra fast passes. for example, 1 parent and 2 kids would have a FP for Splash Mountain and the other parent and one child would have a FP for Big Thunder. That way they could double up their FPs for height restricted rides. Is there any realistic chance that the CM at Splash Mountain would require all 5 family members to scan their FPs prior to giving out the rider swap ticket?
    I don't think this would happen, because there's no way for the CM at Splash to know which people in your party have FP for which rides, know what I mean? There's no need for everyone in your party to have the same FP choices, so they could easily have different ones in a 6-person group. In fact, they allow you to book different members of the same party for different FPs... so they should be OK!

I think that the CMs give you a paper FP or (in some cases) a lanyard redeemable for a paper FP before they even know if the first group is using the standby or FP line, so I agree with Becky that your friend shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Also, you can use Rider Swap without having a FP, so yep they're good. :)

Hi all - great sticky/thread about rider swap - thanks, Steve! I have a question - Does everyone go ahead and book alternate FP+ for one adult when you know you will be using the rider swap? I'm planning to try this, but it makes setting up the FP+ seem a little more complicated and I wanted to make sure it is worth the trouble in practice. I was thinking get FP+ for things like character meets, dumbo, flying carpets, etc. We are going April 5th - 9th, so not Easter but probably still at the end of Spring Break season.Thanks!
    Staci
    May 2015 TR
    - CBR with my teen niece - big kid focused trip.
    Universal October 2015 TR - Royal Pacific with my 16yo son.
    April 2016 TR Staying Offsite & using rider swaps: a young children focused trip.

It really depends on how you are mixing/matching the kids and adults, can you explain your plan with a little more detail?

Thanks for your help, Becky! I am traveling with my 14 year old niece, my adult niece and her littles ages 1.5 & 4.5 (at this point the 4.5 year old is 43 inches, so we are hoping he'll make 44, but not sure and not even really sure he will want to ride Space Mountain even if he can)

One example I'm thinking is this: We have a haircut appointment at the barber shop at 10:30. We were thinking maybe we could have a 10:45 - 11:45 FP for just one adult at Meet Mickey to do with the 1.5 year old. While those two are meeting Mickey, we the rest will meet Tink. Then, have all other FP for 11:00 - 12:00 at 7DMT where we get a swap. The adult who has no FP will do Carousel, Teacups or whatever is a short wait with the 1.5 year old. Then, trade off when the first group is finished with 7DMT.

I have just never done the FP+ system using Rider Swap and I realized this weekend that it might really change the way we select them. I'm thinking we pick one person (me probably) and make those FP+ be for the alternates. Everyone else's FP+ are what we will swap. Then, occasionally, I will trade magic bands with the adult niece. This will make it easier to select the FP+, right??
    Staci
    May 2015 TR
    - CBR with my teen niece - big kid focused trip.
    Universal October 2015 TR - Royal Pacific with my 16yo son.
    April 2016 TR Staying Offsite & using rider swaps: a young children focused trip.

yes, that'll work. You don't need a FP reservation for a child under 3, so meeting Mickey should work fine.

When everyone goes on 7DMT, they'll most likely ask to view the 1.5 year old so make sure they are within pointing distance that you can point them out to the CM.

We split up our FastPass+ reservations in that way.
    ~Trisha~
    Luxury Family Vacation Planner
    https://www.facebook.com/TrishaWrightTravelAgency

Just another question I have not seen addressed yet about RS. So if you have four kids, for example, you want to ride BTMRR, and three of your kids are tall enough, the fourth child is not. Mom rides with older three, dad hangs with little, you get a rider swap, then dad rides again, can he take all three kids with him, or does he have to choose two kids to take and mom get to sit with the pouty third and the fourth, lol? Anyone know how it works for larger families?

Quote Originally Posted by Kjbcmu View Post
    Just another question I have not seen addressed yet about RS. So if you have four kids, for example, you want to ride BTMRR, and three of your kids are tall enough, the fourth child is not. Mom rides with older three, dad hangs with little, you get a rider swap, then dad rides again, can he take all three kids with him, or does he have to choose two kids to take and mom get to sit with the pouty third and the fourth, lol? Anyone know how it works for larger families?
    Unfortunately he has to choose. Only 3 total can ride on a swap, regardless of how many are in the original party.

OR if Mom's OK sitting out, the 3 kiddos could re-ride?

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyW View Post
    OR if Mom's OK sitting out, the 3 kiddos could re-ride?
    I think they're too young. When we go they will be 9,8,6. Not sure I am ready for that!! Good thought for older kids though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjbcmu View Post
    I think they're too young. When we go they will be 9,8,6. Not sure I am ready for that!! Good thought for older kids though.
    You are correct. Children under 7 have to be accompanied by someone 14 or older to ride even if they meet the height requirement.

Yep, too young, that's a bummer!
    I guess a good game of Rock Paper Scissors is in order! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyW View Post
    Yep, too young, that's a bummer!
    I guess a good game of Rock Paper Scissors is in order! ;)
    Yup! My 8 yo is skiddish for some rides. maybe we can use that!

I'd try to use with 4, however, some cast members will allow. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by abuck75 View Post
    I'd try to use with 4, however, some cast members will allow. YMMV.
    I agree, at least try with 4 if you want, but be prepared if they say no who will sit out. We tried at 7DMT and they actually let us to my surprise, and my sister tried last year at BTMRR and was successful.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR; Aug '20 AKV

We plan to use RS for RnRC at DHS but since it is the only tier one attraction that uses RS, we can't really split FP+ like you can with ToT and ST. Has anyone had any luck with this scenario? Riding party #1 uses FP+ while party #2 babysits and rides later using RS pass. THEN later that day (possibly immediately) party #2 uses FP+ and party #1 use RS passes, thus allowing each party to ride twice?

Yes, we used that strategy to get multiple rides on 7DMT (and maybe something else, don't remember). Our big kids really made out - they each got 3 rides (their own FP+ plus two RS).

Great to know. Hopefully Disney won't start charging for RS passes before we go, haha. (Or maybe not so funny)

Does the Riderswap only work for children or can you use it for adults. AKA my mom has a bad back and cannot ride some of the more "rollar coaster" type rides. The party will be 2 adults and 2 teens. Can Mom and Dad wait together, teens ride alone, and then Dad and one kid ride? Or does it not work like that?

Quote Originally Posted by morganf View Post
    Does the Riderswap only work for children or can you use it for adults. AKA my mom has a bad back and cannot ride some of the more "rollar coaster" type rides. The party will be 2 adults and 2 teens. Can Mom and Dad wait together, teens ride alone, and then Dad and one kid ride? Or does it not work like that?
    Doesn't work like that. You can only get a swap if the non-riding party requires care and cannot be left alone to wait. Despite what the web site description of swap states many CMs will only give a swap for those who do not meet the height requirement and not for those who meet the height requirement but choose not to ride. In both instances this typically means a child. I suppose they might give you a swap for an adult with intellectual disability who couldn't wait independently but I haven't been in this situation and am only guessing.