Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All about the Rider Switch Pass (aka Rider Swap)

Will work for Dole Whips. Brandie's Avatar
    Excellent! Thanks Anne!

Will they still allow rider swap for scared kids who are the right height?

Quote Originally Posted by evansmom View Post
    Will they still allow rider swap for scared kids who are the right height?
    Sometimes (or even often) yes they do, but it depends on the Cast Member. Be prepared to be told no, but ask for sure.

If you want you can always refer to the policy if you want to argue your case, but some will just simply never do it.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR; Aug '20 AKV

Very good information to bank. Thanks! Haven't been in 5 years and am taking my youngest on his first trip. things sure have changed!

This is such valuable information. Thank you for writing it out so clearly and providing examples. Our upcoming trip will be our first visit with a toddler so we'll definitely be using the rider switch option.
    Cristabel

I cannot believe I never knew about this, after 14 trips! I'm so excited to re-do my Nov touring plans!!!

Just to be clear:
    1) if we get a RS pass at 7DMT on Nov 19, can we use it on Nov 22?
    2) will 7DMT give us a rider swap pass on the first ride of the day? My daughter and I plan to ride after our BOG breakfast, and are hoping they will give us rider swap passes for my husband.
    Thanks!

josh's date at akershus stevenmilz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KristinaRN View Post
    Just to be clear:
    1) if we get a RS pass at 7DMT on Nov 19, can we use it on Nov 22?
    2) will 7DMT give us a rider swap pass on the first ride of the day? My daughter and I plan to ride after our BOG breakfast, and are hoping they will give us rider swap passes for my husband.
    Thanks!
    Yes and yes. Switch passes are typically good through the end of the month anymore. You can get a swap anytime, as long as you're eligible.
    Steve
    Offsite (Jul 87, Nov 09, Feb 13) Disney Institute (Jun 97) CR (Aug 81, Aug 83, Aug 86, May 10) BLT (Dec 10, Sep 11) FW/VWL (Nov 10) Poly (Mar 11, May 11) BC/BCV (Dec 11, Mar 12, Jan 13) BWI/BWV (May 12, Dec 12, May 13, Sep 13, Mar 14, Sep 14) SSR (Oct 11) YC (Oct 12) Swan (Oct 13) WBC (Dec 13, May 14, Dec 14) Pop (Oct 14) POFQ (Jan 15, Mar 15, Sep 15, Oct 15, Jan 16, Sep 16, Nov 16, Mar 17, May 17) CBR (Dec 15) ASMo (Dec 16)

Thanks Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by stevenmilz View Post
    Yes and yes. Switch passes are typically good through the end of the month anymore. You can get a swap anytime, as long as you're eligible.
    I would add some people have reported CMs who will not give out a swap if the current standby time is short on the grounds the wait is short and the swapping party shouldn't have a long wait if they were to ride right after the first part of the group. It is very CM dependent and has never happened to me personally. My guess is they'd be less likely to refuse a swap request at mine train first thing in the am because everyone knows the wait builds quickly.

What a fun surprise to have to rework your plans to include swap!

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    I would add some people have reported CMs who will not give out a swap if the current standby time is short on the grounds the wait is short and the swapping party shouldn't have a long wait if they were to ride right after the first part of the group. It is very CM dependent and has never happened to me personally. My guess is they'd be less likely to refuse a swap request at mine train first thing in the am because everyone knows the wait builds quickly.

My daughter is very excited about double rides, once with mom and once with dad!

Here now and for the past two days attendants at the ride entrance are giving the first group of riders a lanyard to wear. Once they are ready to board a ride they trade the lanyard for a rider switch pass. Don't know if this is new or not as we have not really used rider switch but thought I'd report what our friends have encountered.

Also, this morning at rockin Rollercoaster the attendant at the ride entrance would not give us a rider switch lanyard because DD is tall enough. I mentioned that disneys website states that you don't have to be too short, just if there's a child that doesn't want to ride they are eligible for rider switch. She still refused to give me a lanyard. And since it was rope drop and people were streaming past me while we argued I just went on. DH continued the discussion with someone who looked like a supervisor and that guy further explained that at RNR they send tall kids through the line anyway and if they don't want to ride one parent and child step out of line while the other parent rides. When the first parent exits the second parent immediately gets to ride without walking through the queue again. Which I guess is great except that is not clearly explained anywhere and it seems to be a departure from the norm. The guy did end up giving DH a rider switch pass since there was some confusion.

This practice seems really confusing and also that it would be hard on kids who may not be able to understand what's happening. Again I have no idea what is usually done with rider switch as this was our first and only experience with it. Just wanted to report back for anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by cdmurphy727 View Post
    Here now and for the past two days attendants at the ride entrance are giving the first group of riders a lanyard to wear. Once they are ready to board a ride they trade the lanyard for a rider switch pass. Don't know if this is new or not as we have not really used rider switch but thought I'd report what our friends have encountered.

Also, this morning at rockin Rollercoaster the attendant at the ride entrance would not give us a rider switch lanyard because DD is tall enough. I mentioned that disneys website states that you don't have to be too short, just if there's a child that doesn't want to ride they are eligible for rider switch. She still refused to give me a lanyard. And since it was rope drop and people were streaming past me while we argued I just went on. DH continued the discussion with someone who looked like a supervisor and that guy further explained that at RNR they send tall kids through the line anyway and if they don't want to ride one parent and child step out of line while the other parent rides. When the first parent exits the second parent immediately gets to ride without walking through the queue again. Which I guess is great except that is not clearly explained anywhere and it seems to be a departure from the norm. The guy did end up giving DH a rider switch pass since there was some confusion.

This practice seems really confusing and also that it would be hard on kids who may not be able to understand what's happening. Again I have no idea what is usually done with rider switch as this was our first and only experience with it. Just wanted to report back for anyone else.
    Thank you. This is important information.
    I am @GrtBigBeautiful on DizTwitter

Yeah the more I thought about it I realized that this will likely eliminate the ability to spread out fast passes. Seems like they wouldn't let you wear a lanyard through the fast pass line. Stinks for those who were able to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by cdmurphy727 View Post
    Yeah the more I thought about it I realized that this will likely eliminate the ability to spread out fast passes. Seems like they wouldn't let you wear a lanyard through the fast pass line. Stinks for those who were able to do that.
    See my comment earlier in this thread, they were using lanyards back in February for some rides from both fp and standby. We still got swap ticket by trading lanyard at merge point with return date anytime through end of the month. So it doesn't sound like flexibility to re-ride had changed with the lanyards unless they are doing the lanyards differently now compared to February.

As for the child who is tall enough but chooses not to ride, it sounds like CM response to that continues to be quite variable. I haven't personally been in that situation but there have been several discussions about it here on the boards.

Can someone confirm from a recent trip if you can effectively use fast pass and still get a rider swap pass?

We are going the first week in November and have split our fast passes up. We have a group of 4 adults and 1 small child. We split each other up into two groups and fast passes different rides that we will rider swap. Does this still work? It worked great for us in January but want to make sure this still applies.

thanks,
    Jared

josh's date at akershus stevenmilz's Avatar
    Yes, nothing has changed that would affect your plan.
    Steve
    Offsite (Jul 87, Nov 09, Feb 13) Disney Institute (Jun 97) CR (Aug 81, Aug 83, Aug 86, May 10) BLT (Dec 10, Sep 11) FW/VWL (Nov 10) Poly (Mar 11, May 11) BC/BCV (Dec 11, Mar 12, Jan 13) BWI/BWV (May 12, Dec 12, May 13, Sep 13, Mar 14, Sep 14) SSR (Oct 11) YC (Oct 12) Swan (Oct 13) WBC (Dec 13, May 14, Dec 14) Pop (Oct 14) POFQ (Jan 15, Mar 15, Sep 15, Oct 15, Jan 16, Sep 16, Nov 16, Mar 17, May 17) CBR (Dec 15) ASMo (Dec 16)

Quote Originally Posted by stevenmilz View Post
    Yes, nothing has changed that would affect your plan.

Great. Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post

We experienced this at Splash Mountain back in August. The SB wait was 10 minutes, and the CM refused to give us a RS pass. He said they don't start giving them out until the SB wait is at least 15 minutes. I tried arguing that the attraction itself is almost 20 minutes long, so by the time we wait 10 minutes then ride for 20 minutes, the wait will definitely be over 15 minutes. (It was probably around 10-10:30am.) He wouldn't budge though, and DW doesn't particularly like the ride anyway so she said just forget it. Of course I was correct and by the time the rest of us got off the ride, the SB wait was 20 minutes. (Which wouldn't be a deal breaker, except that wait time+ride time = ~40 minutes. Too much to ask of a toddler who has already waited ~30 minutes while the first group was riding.)

On a shorter (in duration) ride like Mine Train or BTMRR it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but Splash is such a long attraction that it ends up being a much longer wait for those not riding.

Quote Originally Posted by avab80 View Post
    On a shorter (in duration) ride like Mine Train or BTMRR it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but Splash is such a long attraction that it ends up being a much longer wait for those not riding.
    BTMRR yes, probably wouldn't make a big difference. Mine train the wait increases exponentially at RD. By the time you'd get off, even with the short duration of the ride, waits would be huge.

I am now reading reports on other forums that recent visitors have been asked if all party members have a FP when asking for a rider switch pass at MT and EE. If the waiting members of the party do have a FP, the CM was refusing to give the rider switch pass. This makes sense to me because the waiting party should be able to just ride using their own FP once the first party is done. Does anyone know if this is a new policy rolling out?
    Last edited by Arielsgrotto; 11-12-2015 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Arielsgrotto View Post
    I am now reading reports on other forums that recent visitors have been asked if all party members have a FP when asking for a rider switch pass at MT and EE. If the waiting members of the party do have a FP, the CM was refusing to give the rider switch pass. This makes sense to me because the waiting party should be able to just ride using their own FP once the first party is done. Does anyone know if this is a new policy rolling out?
    I haven't heard anything about that but I haven't been on other forums. I thought part of the point of the swap pass was it would allow the person who stays back initially to ride with up to 2 others (deliberately allowing some members of the party a re-ride) so they aren't having to ride alone. And who knows, it might just be another example of variable CM interpretation of the swap policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielsgrotto View Post
    I've read this in other forums as well, but the way I understood it is that the CM is refusing the Rider Switch pass if the waiting adult DOES NOT also have a FP+. If all those who intend to ride DO have FP, they will issue the Rider Switch pass. This allows the waiting adult to still bring someone back to ride with them, but prevents groups from splitting up their FP and effectively getting double the FPs of parties who are not able to use RIder Switch. I've also only read of this happening at Mine Train though, so YMMV.

Here right now. Yesterday, we used the rider swap and FastPass+ with no problems. First me and DS5 had FPs for Splash Mountain and hubby had a FP for POTC (which he rode with DS2). He was not asked to show a FP for Splash and I received the rider swap lanyard. Did the same thing again on BTMR (hubby and DS5 rode while I used my FP to ride Magic Carpets of Aladdin with DS2). The rider swaps we received were good trough the end of November and allowed 3 people to ride.

Saturday 12/5/15 given lanyard for swap at Test Track through fp line. No request to see valid fp for my husband who wasn't riding on the first round. It was some bonus pixey dust as we weren't planning to ask for a swap. Younger son is right at 40" in his shoes but didn't want to try the ride. When he hesitated at the line entrance the CM offered the swap without measuring my son and without us mentioning or requesting a swap.