Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Frozen Affects Your Day at Hollywood Studios (in short)

How Frozen Affects Your Day at Hollywood Studios (in short)

With any luck I will have a post up tomorrow evening chronicling the Frozen events at Studios in depth, but I will be out of town this weekend and it may not happen. The major points:

Studios still begins letting guests into the Park at 8:45am but we're again held at the Sorcerer's Hat until about 9am when a really really stupid Olaf cartoon plays. That means everyone headed to Toy Story will be waiting in front of the stage in front of the Sorcerer's Hat to the right and then walk shoulder to shoulder to the ride just like the good ol days. Those headed to Sunset Boulevard still have to wait at a rope but they won't see the Olaf thing because they turn onto the street well before the stage. Those headed to the left toward Jedi Training, Star Tours are held in the same place. It sucks.

There is a brief parade scheduled daily at 11am. Hollywood Boulevard will be lined with people by 10am. The parade begins near the entrance and continues toward the Sorcerers Hat. Anna/Elsa get out of their carriage and appear on stage very briefly to accept flowers or something. BUT the parade continues and exits near Star Tours. You can walk up to the American Idol/Indiana Jones show area at 11am and get a great spot. I stood across from American Idol Experience with maybe 25 other people in the area. You can stand in that area with the bronze heads or whatever they are and there was literally nobody standing there. It's going to be very difficult to see the stage show anyway because everyone follows the parade on Hollywood Boulevard. So even if you have kids you will have to put them on your shoulders for any shot of seeing what's going on. I've been in that clump during Star Wars Weekends and even being 6'2" and holding my camera in the air can barely get a shot of the stage. I HIGHLY recommend seeing the parade in the American Idol Experience area. The parade is otherwise not great, mostly reusing Mickey's Christmastime Parade floats.

Oaken's Trading Post and Funland are located in between Toy Story Mania and Backlot Tour (so to the left of Toy Story Mania). There are two separate entrances. The Trading Post is a store full of Frozen merchandise, virtually all of which is or could be available at DisneyStore.com and what have you. At least today they were fully stocked - Anna and Elsa dresses, dolls, figurines, Olaf plush, the Anna/Elsa plush doll that turns inside out or whatever so it can be either princess etc. This stuff was selling like it was the last cans of beans on planet earth.

Funland has ice skating ($10 for 30 minutes), a snow play area, PhotoPass magical shots, and a stand selling cupcakes etc. There was no line in the afternoon today despite very long lines for opening weekend. If you have no interest in the Sunset Boulevard thrill rides with kids, you may want to take them over to Funland around 10am after doing Toy Story and some characters. They will have more space to explore and shorter lines at the activities.

The Frozen Sing Along is scheduled at 12:30, 1:30, 2:30, 3:30, 5, 6, and 7pm daily at the Premier Theater. It is sort of complicated to explain where it's located if you're unfamiliar with the Studios. It's to the right of the Cars meet and greet on the Streets of America. You need a return ticket that's distributed near the theater by cast members to see this show but it is not a big deal. I picked up tickets at 12:35pm and they still had plenty for 1:30pm. You could choose your show so I picked 2:30pm. They will give you as many tickets as you want (within reason I imagine). If you want tickets to two shows you either need to wait in line a second time or have a separate person in your party request tickets to a different show. The return time is from 40 minutes to 10 minutes before the show starts (so 12:50pm - 1:20pm in the case of the 1:30pm show). I recommend arriving back toward the beginning of that window. You'll enjoy a covered area while you wait and be in air-conditioning sooner. As much as it pains me to say this, I really enjoyed the show even while trying to video it. Note that Anna only appears on stage for about five minutes. Elsa is on stage for about four minutes only at the end. Kristoff maybe six or seven. But it's held together by a funny script and the "Arrendelle(sp) Historians." And the show is air-conditioned.

My day today was otherwise:

8am arrival which was about 15 minutes earlier than necessary to have a good position
    Toy Story Mania
    Rock n Roller Coaster
    Tower of Terror with FP+
    Parade (which I arrived too early for in the American Idol area, could have done Star Tours before the parade arrived around 11:10am)
    Toy Story Mania with FP+
    Star Tours with FP+
    Got 4th FP+ for Great Movie Ride (got it at 1:14pm with a 1:20pm return time)
    Lunch
    Frozen Sing Along
    Great Movie Ride
    Got 5th FP+ for Little Mermaid at like 4:45pm with a return time of 5pm)

If you're not interested in Frozen at all, it will only pull people away from other shows and rides. It's otherwise a pretty nice bonus for those visiting over the summer.

Awesome update josh - many thanks!
    Dustin

WDW - 8/82, 4/96, 6/10, 2/11, 10/11, 2/12, 11/12, 4/13, 9/13, 10/13, 2/14, 8/14, 11/14, 1/15, 2/15, 4/15, 11/15, 2/16, 11/16, 2/17, 5/17, 8/17, 11/17, *11/18*
    DLR - 6/94

THANK YOU!! YOU answered a few key questions and filled in the gaps of what I'd scrapped together reading posts I trusted less that you.
    Josh-- I seriously would come to Disney to do Frozen and Harambe. If the Villains thing overlapped these 2 at all-- I'd be there. Heat and humidity and all!

A big "Let It Go" fan are you?

makes josh ride in the passenger seat Rhonda's Avatar
    Thanks Josh. We have no interest in Frozen (gasp!!) so I guess this is good for us to pull people away from what we want to do :) Can you tell us anything about the fireworks? I am hoping to get my 4th FP+ for Fantasmic! and around 12:30, but curious about the fireworks too.
    Thanks!
    Rhonda (obviously)

2009~CBR
    2010~AKV
    2010~POP
    2011~POR
    2012~ASMo (mom and son trip)
    /with 2 "I won a contest" nights at POFQ!
    2012~POP
    2013~POR
    2014~ASSp

Our August 2011 Trip Report

Thanks for taking the time to put this together Josh. Helps to make sense of where everything is and realistic time frames.
    Kim

Thanks for the quick update!

Enjoy your weekend away.

Thanks Josh. Appreciated.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    A big "Let It Go" fan are you?
    I've seen the movie once. But a lot of families with girls age 3 - ??? have great interest in this. And, don't forget, I did daycare for 25 years, and have conducted my share of children's choirs. Hearing 100s of little kids singing the music would give me great joy.

Thanks Josh, that's a massive help with the planning I'm doing right now. Can't wait to see the full write up!

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Great update - thanks!
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Thanks so much for this!
    Brandi

Thanks for the update and for making me laugh this morning. The last cans of beans on earth-that was great!
    Jen

Dream Builders Travel

Josh, thanks for this! You have given me hope that all is not lost for us as we have no choice but to go to HS on a non recommended day, with the additional handicap of being unable to make RD. Should we expect to see distribution of passes to the singalong to occur and run out much more quickly on a non recommended day?

thanks again! Looking forward to hearing about Frozen fireworks when you post! Enjoy your weekend getaway!

Thanks for the laughs! I tweaked my plans a little bit and now I have to convince my (adult) kids to go to the sing along with me! Olaf will be the big draw for them. Let it go...not so much. I find it adorable when I hear little kids singing it in Target and my kids roll their eyes.

Also, how long is the sing along? It looks like maybe 15-20 min. according to your post.

So you skipped the fireworks?

The sing along is not difficult to get tickets for or see at all regardless of what day you visit. The particular day discussed was not recommended. There are plenty of shows to meet demand. The show is 30 minutes long and I recommend seeing it even if only as an air conditioned break.

For the fireworks I would plan to go to the second fantasmic. If you see the first you want to exit on the far left as you look up at the exit. That should put you near the entrance. You won't get anywhere close to Hollywood Boulevard without a lot of hassle trying to get there.

Otherwise you want to see the fireworks closer to the exit than the hat I think. There is a stage show that's fun that you can see on the screen. If you're closer to the stage then you can't see much of the fireworks.

Thank you! This works perfectly with my plan to return late from a break at BWV for the Frozen fireworks and 2nd Fantasmic.

Thanks again! Great info.

We did Dhs with frozen for the 2nd time today. Last week we were in a really busy bit near the start of the parade,but thanks to Josh's tip,we were the only people standing in front of the heads. My daughter got some really special waves from Anna and Elsa. They will let you take a short cut through the pop idol queue if you you feel free stuck. We basically reached our spot about 11 and waited a few minutes.

I will add it's farcical to make people wait for that cartoon at rope drop. Kind of defeats the purpose of being near the front of the line. It's probably the worst opening show I've seen at Disney by an absolute mile. It has no redeeming features and is a slap in the face for rope drop guests from someone in Disney who clearly doesn't understand what guests go to the park early for. Did I mention I didn't like it?

Love the real-life account if which extra FP+ you can get. Helps a lot with expectations. Thanks!

We are hoping to see the 11.15 Indiana Jones show but girls want to see parade This Friday recommended day Is it possible to see parade at the heads and get into Indy as wasn't sure what time parade got to that area or what time they start letting people into Indy. Last time we were there at Christmas (v. busy) and when we went to queue for indy it was too late and we didn't get in (no biggie did it later in hols) but girls are keen on seeing parade Trouble is the other day in HS we are doing B&B so that's not an option to see parade that day
    2nd Trip to WDW 26th December 2011 to 10th January 2012
    Trip Report Link

http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...and-13-1-miles!

The parade is passed that area right at 11:15am. If you see it across from the American Idol Experience, you should be able to pop into the Indiana Jones show a minute or two late. Seating may not be ideal but the parade should pull a lot of people away from that show. If you can't make any other Indiana Jones time work, I'd probably plan to hit Indiana and if you can't get in, grab lunch or head to another show/high capacity attraction.

I second Josh's advice about getting in line for the sing-along early. We had tickets for the 12:30 showing on Saturday (non-recommended day) with a window to get in line from 11:50-12:20. We got to the line at 11:55 and were nearly the last people in the shaded area by Muppets 3D. They let the line into the theater less than 10 minutes later.

Bonus: I think one of the historians was Snig from Snig and Ooplas Hyperspace Hoopla!
    Sweet Stephanie, bid adieu. Trampled waiting in the queue.

Time Travel : Verb Tenses
    Body Snatching :: Pronouns