Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Maleficent Bleach Shirt

My Maleficent Bleach Shirt

My family made some Mickey bleach shirts for our MK day (so much fun) and after I saw (and totally fell in love with!) the new Maleficent movie, I decided to create a Maleficent bleach shirt. So excited at how it turned out!

The last trip we took....
    June 2014 Trip Report - The One Where Mom Wanted to Meet the Princesses

www.jennspirationts.com
    Jennspiration Ts - custom bleach-art tees
    Etsy and Facebook

That's SO cool!!!

Nice! TFS...

OMG that is AWESOME!!!!!! My favorite is Tigger, Obviously LOL, and my friends said "too bad you don't have a Tigger one to do" ...I guess they don't realize I have to make the mouse one, that I don't HAVE one and I said that I could do a Tigger one but I didn't think the outline would be recognizable but NOW I want to do one of these AND a Tigger!

Did you just print off that image of M from online?

ETA: Why does it turn out brown? Even the inside of the back is brown....
    CR Jan 18-23 2018 YC Jan 23-28

May be computer illiterate, but I figured out how to set my user title myself when no one else could!! magic1106's Avatar
    Pretty. How do you make them? I am not very good at tie-dying, but have made a couple of bleached tie-dye shirts instead. How do you preserve the pattern?

That is really fantastic! If you could tell us how you did it, I would appreciate it.
    Sweet Stephanie, bid adieu. Trampled waiting in the queue.

Time Travel : Verb Tenses
    Body Snatching :: Pronouns

she already did cause she's awesome like that:

http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...-7-6-13)/page2

in case that doesn't bring you to the spot on the page:

"Sure thing! I saw general instructions on some other board, or a link to pinterest maybe - I can't remember, but once I read the general idea it made sense to me. And if it makes sense to me then it will make sense to ANYONE!

1. pick out your cheapo cotton shirts from Michael's (or wherever), preferably using a sale or a coupon or both. ;) We all picked out the color we wanted. My daughter preferred black and my son preferred pink. My husband would've wanted a darker green but he was fine with that neon-y color.

2. Wash and dry your shirts.

3. Find a Mickey shape online (or any other shape, I suppose...now I'm wanting to do more...) and blow it up on the copier if it's not the size you want for your shirt. Cut that baby out so you now have something to trace.

4. Trace it onto clear Contact paper. I was hoping to find that at the dollar store, but no go. I got it at Target. And it came in a huge roll. So now that I'm typing this out, I've pretty much decided I'm going to find a Maleficent shape and do that on a black t-shirt this weekend. (woot!)

5. Cut the shape out of the Contact paper now that it's drawn onto it.

6. Peel the shape off and put sticky side down where you want it on the shirt.

7. Mix 1/2 bleach and 1/2 water in a spray bottle - spread the shirt outside and spray that THANG!

8. Here's the trick - you don't want to get too close or go too crazy heavy or you will end up with the bleach seeping under the sticker like it did on my son's shirt. (He was fine with the odd shape). My husband did his perfectly (of course - computer programmer) with a fine mist everywhere.

9. You won't see the bleach effects right away except on the black one but they will show up! Post a picture if you do it and if I do my Maleficent ones (wait...WHEN I do my Maleficent ones) I will post those too!"

We are making shirts for our upcoming surprise F&W trip with the kids. It'll be great to be able to do this and I think I CAN do this one. Think the EPCOT all would show up or would that look stupid without the detail?

Quote Originally Posted by goofyfan6698 View Post
    We are making shirts for our upcoming surprise F&W trip with the kids. It'll be great to be able to do this and I think I CAN do this one. Think the EPCOT all would show up or would that look stupid without the detail?
    I think it would look like a ball in the middle of your shirt - not even a ball - just a circle. Unless you're going to use an exacto knife and put slits all through it so it has the lines - which would be painstakingly hard - at least to me lol

ETA: I'm assuming you mean Space Earth when you say EPCOT

Awesome. Thanks jenninaustin for the instructions and thanks TiggerGirl for the redirect!

You guys are so great! Seriously - I'm glowing with pride. I am not normally creative or patient so I'm all giggly that people like my shirt. I'll try to answer some questions/give ideas:

- as for why is it brown - that's what the bleach does to black t-shirts although I suspect if I kept on going it would eventually be more white. Maybe? You can see on our colored shirts it's pretty white where bleached. So...for an orange TIGGER shirt - I think it would be white around the character!
    - I just found a picture of Maleficent I thought would work on Google, copied it onto a Word document then made it big enough for what I wanted for my t-shirt.

There are actually some cool things you could do with sort of a reverse image and I might eventually try that. I used the reverse thing for my Elsa shirt - but with paint. For my Elsa shirt - I printed out the design I wanted from the computer (again - just googled Elsa's coronation dress and blew up the design on word until it was the size I needed) but instead of cutting around it with regular scissors, I taped it onto my contact paper and used an exacto knife to cut out the design. Then I stuck that onto the shirt (just like I did for my bleach shirts) and used fabric paint to fill in the design. You could do the same thing but use bleach for some sort of cool design - even spaceship earth or some cool epcot design but you'd need the patience to cut out lots of internal designs I think.

In case anyone doesn't know what I mean by my "Elsa Shirt" here are some pics....

www.jennspirationts.com
    Etsy and Facebook

Oh - and Tiggergirl....if I were you - I'd use this image, blow it up how you need, and stick it on an orange shirt. I think it would be very cool!!!

http://www.disneyclips.com/imagesnew...ggerhappy3.gif

www.jennspirationts.com
    Etsy and Facebook

Oh - and I realized I didn't answer the "how do you preserve the pattern" question - since it's bleach, it's really not an issue. I just make sure it's totally dry before I wash it the first time.

www.jennspirationts.com
    Etsy and Facebook

so I'm officially not doing anymore work today. I'm too busy scouring the internet for line drawings of Tigger, Pooh, Zazu, Malificent as a Dragon, Eeyore etc etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by jenninaustin View Post
    Oh - and Tiggergirl....if I were you - I'd use this image, blow it up how you need, and stick it on an orange shirt. I think it would be very cool!!!

http://www.disneyclips.com/imagesnew...ggerhappy3.gif
    that link is forbidden! gasp! maybe because I'm at work.

- as for why is it brown - that's what the bleach does to black t-shirts although I suspect if I kept on going it would eventually be more white. Maybe? You can see on our colored shirts it's pretty white where bleached.

I expected the shirt where bleach was sprayed to turn brown but why is the inside of the shirt even brown? and how did you get it so stinkin' even lol

Wow, Maleficent turned out AMAZING!! I am totally doing these for my fam for our trip. Thanks so much for posting these and for posting the directions!
    Clayton

I really wanted to do matching shirts for our cruise in November. We are travelling with 2 other families so I thought it would be cool for the first day. Tie-dye got shot down, but this might have a chance. Especially if everyone got to pick their favorite character and color.

Love it!
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by neffernie View Post
    I really wanted to do matching shirts for our cruise in November. We are travelling with 2 other families so I thought it would be cool for the first day. Tie-dye got shot down, but this might have a chance. Especially if everyone got to pick their favorite character and color.
    this was shot down in my group too BUT now that we're going to MNSSHP we're doing them with Mickey Heads as in the post with the directions - and then my friend is going to sew bows on them and we're going to be....wait for it....The Three Minnie Mouse-Kateers :)

Quote Originally Posted by TiggerGirl View Post
    so I'm officially not doing anymore work today. I'm too busy scouring the internet for line drawings of Tigger, Pooh, Zazu, Malificent as a Dragon, Eeyore etc etc etc
    Work???? What is this "work" thing of which you speak? (looking furtively around the corner and praying that no one is checking my internet browsing history....)

I expected the shirt where bleach was sprayed to turn brown but why is the inside of the shirt even brown? and how did you get it so stinkin' even lol
    Ok - I'm slow (no surprise there) but I'm not sure what inside you mean. I don't think I've looked on the inside. Told you I'm slow. I put a cookie tray between the front and back so the bleach wouldn't go all the way through. I bet the inside is brown though...now I'm going to check as soon as I get home. If it is - I guess it's b/c bleach water goes all the way through. Seriously Tiggergirl, I owe you a margarita so come on down to Austin b/c I'm no help am I????

Quote Originally Posted by claytonia View Post

Wow, Maleficent turned out AMAZING!! I am totally doing these for my fam for our trip. Thanks so much for posting these and for posting the directions!
    Sure!

Quote Originally Posted by neffernie View Post
    Exactly! And doing it yourself is kind of fun - not sure if you saw my family's Mickey ones but they were all different. My husband's was PERFECT and the rest of ours were varying degrees of less perfect.

Oh - and Tiggergirl asked how I got the lines so perfect? I CHANNELED MY HUSBAND. (Patiently sprayed with a very light mist without getting too close to the shirt)

this was shot down in my group too BUT now that we're going to MNSSHP we're doing them with Mickey Heads as in the post with the directions - and then my friend is going to sew bows on them and we're going to be....wait for it....The Three Minnie Mouse-Kateers :)
    Gaaaaahhhhhhh!!!! I want to be your travel buddy!!! You must post pics, girl.

www.jennspirationts.com
    Etsy and Facebook

Duh....

I always, always, always forget some questions. For one thing - thanks to all of you for the sweet notes! And if you make the shirts please show me! (I'm all inspired to do other characters now too.....)

Tiggergirl - don't worry if they are line drawings. Regular ones will work - I promise - because you're just going to cut around it anyway. :)

I saved the image I found on my imgur - here's a direct link to it - http://i.imgur.com/4S3pN6P.jpg

and here it is posted into my message if that doesn't work. Just grab it and blow it up. Doesn't matter if it's blurry b/c you're going to be just cutting around the edge anyway.

www.jennspirationts.com
    Etsy and Facebook

Ok - I'm slow (no surprise there) but I'm not sure what inside you mean. I don't think I've looked on the inside. Told you I'm slow. I put a cookie tray between the front and back so the bleach wouldn't go all the way through. I bet the inside is brown though...now I'm going to check as soon as I get home. If it is - I guess it's b/c bleach water goes all the way through. Seriously Tiggergirl, I owe you a margarita so come on down to Austin b/c I'm no help am I????

Gaaaaahhhhhhh!!!! I want to be your travel buddy!!! You must post pics, girl.
    Well I can't see the shirt in person (unfortunately) so just from the pictures you posted - the final result appears to be brown where the OP lable on the shirt is. May just be my monitor or my eyes lol but the original shirt is black black black the next picture is sorta purplely grey and the last one is brown...seemingly all the way through.

I think we would have SO much fun as travel buddies! I said that when I read your TR :) At the very least we'd have the coolest shirts and outfits in all the land.

Tiggergirl - don't worry if they are line drawings. Regular ones will work - I promise - because you're just going to cut around it anyway. :)

I saved the image I found on my imgur - here's a direct link to it - http://i.imgur.com/4S3pN6P.jpg

and here it is posted into my message if that doesn't work. Just grab it and blow it up. Doesn't matter if it's blurry b/c you're going to be just cutting around the edge anyway.
    oh okay cool - I was just thinking line drawings would give me an indication of it would look good as a silouette. But I really know nothing about this whole process lol

Try googling for "[character of choice] silhouette" at images.google.com. You should find lots of options template-ready.

Mary Poppins would be a fun one to do!

Quote Originally Posted by quince View Post
    Try googling for "[character of choice] silhouette" at images.google.com. You should find lots of options template-ready.

Mary Poppins would be a fun one to do!

Ooo! Ooo! Ooo! Mary Poppins is brilliant! Ok, people, I now have a goal of creating a huge set of Disney silhouette shirts.

www.jennspirationts.com
    Etsy and Facebook