Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: An "Easy" Disney gift card hack?

I picked up a Disney gift card at target today using the debit red card and got the discount even though the card said "gift card" on back and not "entertainment card". Not sure if it was elsewhere or this thread that I read it only worked if it said entertainment.

I've also read (in forums and on the official target site that you needed to have a canceled check to sign up for the debit version of the red card in store. They just used my debit card to sign me up at the register.

5% doesn't seem like much, but for our small anniversary trip, it'll get us about $70. That's pretty much a good dinner somewhere.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slapshot25 View Post
    I picked up a Disney gift card at target today using the debit red card and got the discount even though the card said "gift card" on back and not "entertainment card". Not sure if it was elsewhere or this thread that I read it only worked if it said entertainment.

I've also read (in forums and on the official target site that you needed to have a canceled check to sign up for the debit version of the red card in store. They just used my debit card to sign me up at the register.

5% doesn't seem like much, but for our small anniversary trip, it'll get us about $70. That's pretty much a good dinner somewhere.
    It's the Pharmacy Rewards that don't work anymore with the Gift Cards, not the Red Card Debit or Credit cards.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

In an interesting turn of events, I have just been informed that Sam's Club has cancelled my order of gift cards.

See people, this is why you have to stockpile tinfoil for hat making material (don't trust Reynold's Wrap, it contains Badstuffium).
    I am @GrtBigBeautiful on DizTwitter

Quote Originally Posted by Strangeite View Post
    In an interesting turn of events, I have just been informed that Sam's Club has cancelled my order of gift cards.

See people, this is why you have to stockpile tinfoil for hat making material (don't trust Reynold's Wrap, it contains Badstuffium).
    Did they give a reason? Or just cancel it?
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR

Quote Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post
    Did they give a reason? Or just cancel it?
    No reason given. The email did list an 800 number to call during business hours but I was too busy today to call.

Quote Originally Posted by DizDragonfly View Post
    Yes, you absolutely can use GCs for DCL. What sailing are you on for Norway? The DH and I are doing the Norway/Iceland at the end of June.
    I put a deposit on the June 20th sailing, 9 nights. Norway has been on my to do list for a long time. I might start buying gift cards every time I'm at Target

Quote Originally Posted by MsIncredible View Post
    I put a deposit on the June 20th sailing, 9 nights. Norway has been on my to do list for a long time. I might start buying gift cards every time I'm at Target
    We're on the next sailing. Leave her in good shape for us.
    (Just) Karen

Quote Originally Posted by DizDragonfly View Post
    We're on the next sailing. Leave her in good shape for us.
    I was thinking of switching to the next sailing, but now don't see it on the DCL website as an option - is it sold out?

Quote Originally Posted by MsIncredible View Post
    I was thinking of switching to the next sailing, but now don't see it on the DCL website as an option - is it sold out?
    Yes, it's been sold out for quite some time actually. A stateroom will pop up here and there, but to be honest, prices have doubled from what they were on day one. The last stateroom I saw pop up was for $16,000+ and I think it was an ocean view (not even a veranda). I don't know if prices will come down from that, but I expect there will be some cancellations, especially as we move closer to final payment date.
    (Just) Karen

Another way I have heard of (but haven't done personally) is using a Chase Ink card to buy Disney Gift Cards at Office Max. They will earn you 5x Ultimate Rewards points (office supply store), which you can transfer to many different airlines and hotels. Using Southwest Airlines as the example they are worth about 1.86 cents per point, giving you over 9% back (and there are other transfers that can possibly be more).

And, if your Office Max is like mine... there is never anyone in line so no concern there.
    Just bought some Disney Gift Cards tonight at Office Max on the way home from work, using my Chase Ink card... planning to use them to pay for meals on our August trip. They are for sure good at WDW (says right on it), and I also grabbed a Subway and Applebees Gift Card while I was at it too.

I don't think there was another person in the entire store at the time, so no one to hold up in line for sure. The cashier smiled and said something along the lines of "a lot of people do this".

When I get the bill I will confirm I got the 5x points... but I am pretty sure it will work just fine.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR

Just bought some Disney Gift Cards tonight at Office Max on the way home from work, using my Chase Ink card... planning to use them to pay for meals on our August trip. They are for sure good at WDW (says right on it), and I also grabbed a Subway and Applebees Gift Card while I was at it too.

I don't think there was another person in the entire store at the time, so no one to hold up in line for sure. The cashier smiled and said something along the lines of "a lot of people do this".

When I get the bill I will confirm I got the 5x points... but I am pretty sure it will work just fine.
    It will show it there, right on the bill.

They also give 2X rewards for gas purchases, and 2X hotel purchases.

But the Chase Sapphire gives 7% bonus points on EVERYTHING you spend. And also 2X rewards on restaurant purchases. On the first Friday of each month, they give 3X points. For restaurants that give 20% bonus GCs, this is a good day to purchase.

Stupid Judy.

I am beginning to suspect that I am leaving a lot of money on the table by not really paying attention to the cards in my wallet.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Here's a Southwest gift card hack. Order from TwoSmiles (by HP) and save 15%. Gift cards are in $50 or $100 increments and you can supposedly order up to 4 at a time. Code is valid until July 7th.

https://www.twosmiles.com/

During checkout, use code: FIREWORKS15

Good luck.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

makes josh ride in the passenger seat Rhonda's Avatar
    Just FYI, you can only use 4 forms of payment total when you purchase online with Southwest.
    Interesting about the Sapphire. It looks like Ink is a business card? Is Sapphire a business card? I have the Freedom card but could switch
    Rhonda (obviously)

2009~CBR
    2010~AKV
    2010~POP
    2011~POR
    2012~ASMo (mom and son trip)
    /with 2 "I won a contest" nights at POFQ!
    2012~POP
    2013~POR
    2014~ASSp

Our August 2011 Trip Report

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
    Just FYI, you can only use 4 forms of payment total when you purchase online with Southwest.
    Interesting about the Sapphire. It looks like Ink is a business card? Is Sapphire a business card? I have the Freedom card but could switch
    The Ink Business card is the one with the 60,000 point promotions from time to time.

Sapphire is a personal card.

You can use your status as a Freedom cardholder to get instant approval for the Sapphire. But wait until Sapphire has sign-up bonuses. That's where the Big Money is.

Stupid Judy.

Correct, and if you're using gift cards I think there are some additional restrictions like you can't use a partial amount. So if you have a $250 fare you can only use 2x$100 gift cards and then a credit card for the $50 balance rather than 3x$100 gift cards.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorK View Post
    Correct, and if you're using gift cards I think there are some additional restrictions like you can't use a partial amount. So if you have a $250 fare you can only use 2x$100 gift cards and then a credit card for the $50 balance rather than 3x$100 gift cards.
    Can't you load GCs into your SW account before paying? I'm not that knowledgeable about SW.

Stupid Judy.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    The Ink Business card is the one with the 60,000 point promotions from time to time.

Sapphire is a personal card.

You can use your status as a Freedom cardholder to get instant approval for the Sapphire. But wait until Sapphire has sign-up bonuses. That's where the Big Money is.
    Thanks George, what is the annual fee for Sapphire?
    eta: nevermind, looked it up :) will watch for good bonuses
    I have almost $1000 I need to cash out with Freedom.
    Rhonda (obviously)

2009~CBR
    2010~AKV
    2010~POP
    2011~POR
    2012~POP
    2013~POR
    2014~ASSp

Thanks George, what is the annual fee for Sapphire?
    I have almost $1000 I need to cash out with Freedom.
    I don't know - I never pay them!

Might be $95, waived the first year.

Stupid Judy.

I don't know - I never pay them!

Might be $95, waived the first year.
    Do do you use your charm to get out of paying them?? or does someone else pay it?
    Rhonda (obviously)

2009~CBR
    2010~AKV
    2010~POP
    2011~POR
    2012~POP
    2013~POR
    2014~ASSp

Can't you load GCs into your SW account before paying? I'm not that knowledgeable about SW.
    No it's kind of a PITA.

Do do you use your charm to get out of paying them?? or does someone else pay it?
    I just call to cancel and tell them if they waive the fee I'll keep it. They always waive it.

I'm not that charming.

Stupid Judy.

Good to know. I have always wondered if I am a good candidate for doing those types of things because they dont make any money off of me since I pay my bill in full, but I have the feeling you do as well, so maybe I should consider it.
    I just started using my SW card more because it finally occured to me that the point value gets me more $ worth in flights than cash from Freedom card or Disney dollars from Disney card. Im a slow learner :)
    Rhonda (obviously)

2009~CBR
    2010~AKV
    2010~POP
    2011~POR
    2012~POP
    2013~POR
    2014~ASSp

I always pay my bill in full, and don't recommend any of these promotions to those who don't. Those folks will do much better to shop for a low-interest card.

Stupid Judy.

I'm not that charming.
    I beg to differ.