Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where is off2neverland?

Quote Originally Posted by magic1106 View Post

That being said, none of them come close to what Josh has given all of us with this website, forum, touring plans, calendars, and now book.

This is Josh's site. His snarky story telling is what drew a lot of us in. His spot on advice has kept us here. Respect him, please!
    This. I have nothing against those who left. If you feel something is missing, please contact them directly and ask for their advice. Otherwise, take advantage of the awesome wealth of information and knowledge available here and have a positive attitude!
    Last edited by safroim; 06-19-2014 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Bad grammar, my own pet-peeve!
    Sara

Eat, drink and be merry

Quote Originally Posted by magic1106 View Post
    Josh-personally, I think you should lock this thread and any that stray this way. I don't think you are being defensive in any way but you are being forced to defend yourself, your actions, and your way of handling your site on a reoccurring basis.
    Agree totally. A link to the original conversation was provided which is still online and if one follows the thread from that point it provides more than enough information to answer what happened. It was unfortunate for all involved. People made their decisions. End of story. End of comments.

Personally, it speaks volumes to me that Josh has left open threads that are critical of him.

Closing threads has always seemed a bit totalitarian to me. It's either discuss it here and now or here and later. If we can get it all out now it will only make it easier to push forward.

I wouldn't want to see threads being locked. There is a lot to be said for discussion and hopefully increased understanding and I think Josh is trying to deal fairly with this turn of events, but every time that thread is reposted it's like a fresh accusation. That was a private situation that should never have been openly posted and having been posted doesn't make it fact.

A few years ago I moderated a forum and was accused of dealing unfairly with some members (uunderhanded stuff). It wasn't true, but being publicly accused really really sucked. Especially as I really value honesty and fair dealing. So, have some compassion, guys.

*Josh, just saw your post. This is why I'm a member here. I swore I'd never join another forum, but I've always found you to be a pretty straight up guy. :)

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Closing threads has always seemed a bit totalitarian to me..
    Agree with this and as a poster (and a curious person) I don't like to see it when threads are locked. I guess my concern is that after a month some other well meaning person will come ask the question and here we go again, and so on. However, that being said, you are the one left deal with it, so as everything else on this forum it is ultimately what you are willing to put up with. I guess that's why you get paid the big bucks, right? Speaking of bucks, I ordered your book earlier this week. It should have arrived today with my Prime membership, but it seems that it is so popular they are now hoping it will be here by next Tuesday. Can't wait!

Apparently your girl off2neverland went on a bit of a rampage deleting sticky information like the acronym list and replacing it with just an 'x': http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...onyms-for-All) a couple weeks ago (Thanks to a private message for pointing it out). Fortunately it only takes a moment to pull up and reinstitute the previous versions.

I have added her to the banned user group so this sort of thing won't be an issue in the future.

Sorry.

waiting for a street car
    off2neverland created the information, correct? If so it seems reasonable for her to have removed it after she was unmoderated. Software folk would have realized that you could easily replace it. So you and the site luck out and get to keep great information that she created for free.

Quote Originally Posted by ellie View Post
    off2neverland created the information, correct?
    No.

waiting for a street car
    You must be talking about a different acronym list. I was thinking of the Theme Park Touring and Strategy Forum sticky she created back on 02-19-2011

If the acronym you are looking for is not in list above, post it here and I'll add it.
    I am sure I missed some so please post any others you can think of- so I can update the list.
    Thanks

Last edited by off2neverland; 02-19-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Which acronym list did you mean?

Ok, let's analyze the word "free." Looking at all the info on this website is free. The reviews, the crowd calendars, the cheat sheets. All of it. This is atypical and we all know this.

Christine, aka offtoneverland, has a touring plan business. If you want her assistance in planning your days at WDW by all means contact her. I believe, based on posts i've read, that as a moderator, she was permitted to include her business contact info to the exclusion of other forum members who may be travel agents or whatever. She was certainly helpful, and helped me with planning. I'm sure helping folks on this forum was really helpful for her business too.

Josh, I'm a big a fan. I love your free website. I would pay for a membership. Your advice is head and shoulders above other touring sites, and I refer everyone I know who is planning a trip to WDW to this site. I've tried to ignore all this drama, but I've been a member here for a pretty long time. This site has meant a lot to me since I've planned my last few family vacations here.
    Brandi

waiting for a street car
    I've been a member since Feb 2011. I don't love the drama. I also think this site has great information, enjoy the blog posts, and think the detailed calendar information and cheat sheets are wonderful.

Josh does an amazing job. I don't see a reason to downgrade what others did and add though. That shouldn't detract anything from Josh.

Edited to change great job to amazing job. I really think this site is the best planning site overall between Josh and the forum members.

Edited to add not quite as good as it was but still the best.

Ellie, just for clarity:

Iwas jut going to copy/paste from Allears or something.

(and her reply)
    Who said I didn't do that?
    No actually there a few acronyms list out there- I copied, edited and now we are making it our own.

I'm not trying to detract from the contributions of other forum members. If I had a touring plan business, I would totally give people free advice to drum up business.
    Brandi

expert on dietary needs and disney dining clanmcculloch's Avatar
    From the thread Josh just posted....
    Thanks a lot for putting this together. I was jut going to copy/paste from Allears or something.
    Why would you take credit for something you previously thanked somebody else for doing?
    I am so boggled by this discussion. People are basically accusing anybody who just says they miss Christine of being negative, taking sides, and even calling Josh a liar when the only negativity or hostility has been against anybody who has anything positive to say about those who left. Then Josh says anybody who thinks he's a liar should just leave but since nobody in this thread has (other than me just now SHOWING a lie) I have to conclude that really people like me who have anything nice to say about Christine are not welcome. I guess that's my cue to step away. I may pop back in from time to time to say hi to some people I feel I've gotten to know but I really need to step away for a while.

One request before I go. Please remove the sticky containing information that I personally wrote about dealing with special needs. Since I won't be around to maintain it and things change so often, I don't want people getting wrong information. For those with special needs, wrong information is worse than no information. Even now it needs some tweaking and is a bit out of date and this will only get worse. If you're having trouble finding the sticky in question, it's the one on the touring plans board that had my name in the title.

Thank you for having provided this site in which I made some good friends and where I enjoyed talking about a shared passion with like-minded people. Good luck with your book and I hope you continue to do well.

waiting for a street car
    Quote Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
    I am so boggled by this discussion. People are basically accusing anybody who just says they miss Christine of being negative, taking sides, and even calling Josh a liar when the only negativity or hostility has been against anybody who has anything positive to say about those who left.
    Much better said than I could have.

I guess this should officially be a DIS thread by now.
    Last edited by Not That Josh; 06-20-2014 at 11:03 PM.

Merida

Why would you take credit for something you previously thanked somebody else for doing?
    I am so boggled by this discussion. People are basically accusing anybody who just says they miss Christine of being negative, taking sides, and even calling Josh a liar when the only negativity or hostility has been against anybody who has anything positive to say about those who left. Then Josh says anybody who thinks he's a liar should just leave but since nobody in this thread has (other than me just now SHOWING a lie) I have to conclude that really people like me who have anything nice to say about Christine are not welcome. I guess that's my cue to step away. I may pop back in from time to time to say hi to some people I feel I've gotten to know but I really need to step away for a while.

Thank you for having provided this site in which I made some good friends and where I enjoyed talking about a shared passion with like-minded people. Good luck with your book and I hope you continue to do well.
    Thank you for saying this so wonderfully, because I feel the same. Since I cannot think of a single negative thing to say about the ladies who left, it makes me feel very unwelcome here, as well.

I would also like to thank Josh for this site, since I really enjoyed my time here, and I also wish him well.

he's right
    In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake.
    --Wallace Stanley Sayre
    it's amazing how often this plays out on any Internet discussion board.

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    it's amazing how often this plays out on any Internet discussion board.
    Very true. This is why I normally wouldn't post on a thread like this. I don't have a reason for my change of habit on this one.

waiting for a street car
    After checking my dictionary app I stand by create.

I am the only one boggled the other way around?

It’s like situation if I see my husband’s phone with a message to another woman with love comments or ranting about me and then saying I betrayed him for looking at the phone???

The wording of the published comments read very bullish and not acceptable from grown women that are supposed to be pillar of this site. If they had some issues with Josh they should talk to him as grown adults – not go into name calling behind his back.

Information you publish on forums, is not owned by you anymore. It is disruptive to the integrity of the forum to randomly delete information. You may feel it’s yours and it may feel unfair – but it belongs to the forum users and the owner. I would expect when there is personal information as trip report with picture of kids or other identifiable information Josh should oblige requests for deletion to protect the privacy of the poster. Post as acronym list – I am sorry but why would the forum have to lose it? If you don’t want a public forum to own it and use it don’t share it with us!

Taking credit for publicly available acronym list that is all over the internet and it takes very little time to “create”? Come on – who cares about the acronym list. With the amount of publicly available free touring plans and advise this site provides – it wouldn’t cross my mind to look at the acronym list for over 5 seconds.
    Last edited by Nia; 06-20-2014 at 02:33 AM.

The point I was trying to make was not that no one should say anything nice about the ladies, but that it is time for this to pass without a multi page discussion every time someone asks a question. Why? Because it creates drama and most people don't really really love drama. The drama is what is not positive, as is the comments that the site well never be the same. Self fulfilling prophecy will start taking place.

josh's date at akershus stevenmilz's Avatar
    Oh for heaven's sake people - what is with all the drama going on here? This is a site/forum about DISNEY WORLD, remember? The "happiest place on earth" remember? What's with all of you and your "we liked Christine and you don't so I have to leave too" attitudes? Aren't we all grown-ups here? (OK, big kids at heart) Imagine if this were about drama with your kids and their friends. "Mom, Mary likes Sally better than me so I'm not going to be friends with her anymore and I don't want to play Barbies with her anymore". C'mon folks, grow up. If there was something that went on between Josh and some of the forum veterans, that's their business. Don't get sucked into someone else's drama.

"Alien" is right about content of what you post on the forum. It doesn't appear that there is a cut-and-dried answer to copyright of a forum post, but the general legal consensus is that posts become copyright material of the forum owner. In fact, even if an end-user asks the forum owner to remove a post they are not legally bound to do so. As an IT guy, the fact that someone came into Josh's forum and started deleting material, whether they believed it was "theirs" or not, was pretty malicious.
    Steve
    Offsite (Jul 87, Nov 09, Feb 13) Disney Institute (Jun 97) CR (Aug 81, Aug 83, Aug 86, May 10) BLT (Dec 10, Sep 11) FW/VWL (Nov 10) Poly (Mar 11, May 11) BC/BCV (Dec 11, Mar 12, Jan 13) BWI/BWV (May 12, Dec 12, May 13, Sep 13, Mar 14, Sep 14) SSR (Oct 11) YC (Oct 12) Swan (Oct 13) WBC (Dec 13, May 14, Dec 14) Pop (Oct 14) POFQ (Jan 15, Mar 15, Sep 15, Oct 15, Jan 16, Sep 16, Nov 16, Mar 17, May 17) CBR (Dec 15) ASMo (Dec 16)

One request before I go. Please remove the sticky containing information that I personally wrote about dealing with special needs. Since I won't be around to maintain it and things change so often, I don't want people getting wrong information. For those with special needs, wrong information is worse than no information. Even now it needs some tweaking and is a bit out of date and this will only get worse. If you're having trouble finding the sticky in question, it's the one on the touring plans board that had my name in the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Marianna View Post
    Ellie, just for clarity:

I was jut going to copy/paste from Allears or something.

(and her reply)
    Who said I didn't do that?
    No actually there a few acronyms list out there- I copied, edited and now we are making it our own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Most people don't really really love drama.
    Everybody loves drama. The fact that we're arguing about who has ownership over a copy/pasted acronym list is proof positive, not to mention the fact this thread has 10x more views than just about anything else in just a couple days.

I'll keep this thread open until the end of the day - if you want to get a last word in - by all means.