Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where is off2neverland?

fizboBunny
    Quote Originally Posted by ernierich View Post
    This is exactly why I asked the question in the first place. I had no intention of stirring the pot, rehashing drama or flogging dead horses. Apologies if anyone has read it that way.
    No need to apologize. It took me over a week to realize what had happened. I figured it out by looking at Pam's latest posts.

You have nothing to apologize for ernierich. Trudy made an excellent point; it won't be surprising if the question is asked again especially considering many people, not nessisarily regular posters, originally came to these forums specifically for Christine's advice-she brought a lot of people over here. The flogging horse emoticon really doesn't apply to this thread.
    Kate

Well, it makes me sad and uncomfortable to see that thread brought up in response to "what happened to...". There is most likely a lot more to the story than what was posted, and clearly some real misunderstanding. I for one know I'm only seeing a part of it. I sure wish we could just respond that there was a difference of opinion, some hurt feelings and the ladies took their departure, because, really what was posted is just too up for interpretation.

fizboBunny
    Did you continue reading in that thread? Those that left said their side of the story.

If you think I'm stupid enough to read people's private messages without their permission, then use the information gleaned from that reading to remove two prolific users with the highest post counts on this forum as moderators, and then tell them in writing that I used said information to make my decision, then you should probably click "log out" and never return.

waiting for a street car
    Josh, I don't see why you're so defensive here? I don't think anyone said anything negative about you on this thread. What folk may think about what happened ... well, I can't speak for that. In an earlier thread (non-Chat) you yourself mentioned that the 'discussion' went on for several pages. I'm not sure if you're responding to fizboBunny... I certainly hope not.

I think it's true that infrequent readers who used to get lots of help from Christine are going to be logging on and wondering why she's not around any more. Not everyone reads the Chat threads... I don't regularly and I do read a lot of the other forums here.

As someone who falls somewhere between infrequent poster and lurker, I just want to add a bit of the "new person" perspective without (hopefully) sparking new debate. I found the members who have left (not to fall into "You know who" references for fear of sparking an even more intense Universal vs. Disney debate) incredibly responsive and helpful. I learned a tremendous amount from them and am deeply appreciative. I was also a bit intimidated when they would reprimand a new poster for not adhering to proper itinerary posting format. To their credit they still tried to help out and they were replying to ten of those posts a day. But from a newbie to relative newbie perspective, it still felt like being yelled at. To be honest, that did keep me from posting at times either questions (for fear of being called out) or answers (since I always felt they were more knowledgable). I am deeply grateful for what that they added to the community, but I also can appreciate what led to their departure. Not trying to judge, just my two cents.

I feel like when your on this site as much as some of us are its kind of like a family. With any family there are disagreements. People have feelings and they can get hurt. Hopefully they will come back and post. From what I'm reading Josh just made the choice to moderate his self. He was very nice to allow signatures including their contact info. Misunderstandings happen. Hopefully in time they will come back to this wonderful forum Josh has provided.

I agree that people who are not frequent to the boards are going to pop in and ask from time to time. But folks, this is not healthy for the boards. The he said, she said thing doesn't really get anywhere. There are 3 sides to every disagreement. Perception 1 , perception 2 and the truth.(or often more perception when others get involved.
    Out of respect for the site's founder, we should be working together to lesson this drama moving forward. If not for that reason, then because we love these forums and don't want them to turn into a pit off negativity, we should be encouraging to others and not speculate or pick a side.

Sure, one of the missing ladies I will miss. Another one, I also felt was sometimes snippy to non regulars it seemed. Does me saying that help the boards move forward? No. Does it make others question who , what ,why? Yes. And honestly, what good does that do?
    If you don't know the truth of the entire situation, retelling what you do know won't help. If someone does know everything, for sure, first hand, not what they've gathered by reading both sides, then still they should consider "will taking about this improve these boards for the newcomers".

I agree wholeheartedly with Marianna. It's time to respond with," she's taking some time away", "a difference of opinion resulted in a few changes" "they mentioned they needed some time to step back" "some feelings were hurt and they are less involved atm".

I look at this site as Josh's. We are here by his grace really, he doesn't have to do all this at no charge to us. He could tell us to go get a lines app and read boards at the dis. We appreciate what he does though, so let's be respectful, help keep his project a happy place and if you do disagree with something, take it up with him personally if you feel the need. He's always responded to any PM I've sent him. I'm not saying worship the man, I'm just saying I feel bad reading people questioning his actions or decisions.
    Think positive people.

Well said

Rowan, that was beautifully stated. :)

waiting for a street car
    Josh himself posted here on June 6

http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...t-10-Itinerary

in response to "Did they go somewhere?"

Yeah there is some discussion at the end of this page and a couple pages following: http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...saying/page479

As that was HIS response it seems reasonable to have been posted as the response to the same question.
    Last edited by ellie; 06-19-2014 at 06:36 AM.

Yes, it does seem reasonable, but for how long? While it was fresh and ongoing, it makes sense to direct people there instead of starting a new thread about it. But if we still create a new two page thread here about how it saddens people each time the question comes up, we aren't moving forward. I'm not blaming anyone for bringing it out, I'm just saying- Why not minimize that going forward if we can? You all can do as you please of course, it's just my opinion on the matter.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    This thread is the first I'd heard about it. It's a shame for all parties involved, but this kind of thing is inevitable when a forum or site grows in popularity.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Yes, it does seem reasonable, but for how long? While it was fresh and ongoing, it makes sense to direct people there instead of starting a new thread about it. But if we still create a new two page thread here about how it saddens people each time the question comes up, we aren't moving forward. I'm not blaming anyone for bringing it out, I'm just saying- Why not minimize that going forward if we can? You all can do as you please of course, it's just my opinion on the matter.
    Well, as Trudy said, it's new to people who are just finding out. So let them express their regret. You don't have to reply, of course, if you feel so strongly about not fanning the flames.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

I have been following these threads but have not yet replied because it seems like such a complicated issue.

Thankfully, these more eloquent posters sum up my thoughts:

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMom View Post
    I miss them all too.
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Well, as Trudy said, it's new to people who are just finding out. So let them express their regret. You don't have to reply, of course, if you feel so strongly about not fanning the flames.
    I look at this site as Josh's. We are here by his grace really, he doesn't have to do all this at no charge to us. He could tell us to go get a lines app and read boards at the dis. We appreciate what he does though, so let's be respectful, help keep his project a happy place and if you do disagree with something, take it up with him personally if you feel the need. He's always responded to any PM I've sent him. I'm not saying worship the man, I'm just saying I feel bad reading people questioning his actions or decisions.
    Think positive people.
    As a side note, this is my first attempt to have the cool cartoon quote box in one of my replies and I don't actually know how to do it, so hopefully the quote boxes work. If they don't, then just chalk it up to my computer illiteracy...

They worked! I'm terribly proud of myself!

waiting for a street car
    Always fun when something on the computer works as you hope!

Quote Originally Posted by ellie View Post
    Josh, I don't see why you're so defensive here? I don't think anyone said anything negative about you on this thread. What folk may think about what happened ... well, I can't speak for that. In an earlier thread (non-Chat) you yourself mentioned that the 'discussion' went on for several pages. I'm not sure if you're responding to fizboBunny... I certainly hope not.

I think it's true that infrequent readers who used to get lots of help from Christine are going to be logging on and wondering why she's not around any more. Not everyone reads the Chat threads... I don't regularly and I do read a lot of the other forums here.
    I don't think it's possible for me to be any less defensive than I am being. If I was "defensive" threads like this would either be deleted or closed and I would have quashed all discussion long ago. Frankly, I am sick and tired of the implication that I'm a liar. And if you think that I am, I ask that you leave my site.

To return to our regularly scheduled programming - so Josh, is there a chance of an updated Universal report once they open the new HP rides? (My totally selfish request based upon my upcoming Universal trip!)

Yeah probably. Bookmark orlandoinformer.com.

waiting for a street car
    I can imagine it would definitely be unpleasant and stressful to feel that folk thought you were a liar. Your post just seemed to forcefully come out of the blue as I didn't think anyone on this thread implied that, just as George wrote, expressing their regret. But I think I understand better now the feelings that prompted it. I wasn't sensitive to that before.
    Last edited by ellie; 06-19-2014 at 01:00 PM.

Think positive people.
    Perhaps we start from a different premise. I assume Josh does this in part to make a quasi-business out of a hobby and not purely as a charity. I'm here because Christine was here. To me, getting advice from Christine was the best part of TGM so I was delighted to find her again. I became more delighted as I saw more and more people whose advice I valued.

Why were the TGM forums better than disboards? The old TGM materials (before they became woefully outdated) set up a common culture with a sound approach to the parks, something easywdw also has. But, then why wouldn't touringplans have great forums? They have similar plans and similar advice. I think TGM forums benefited from a barrier to entry in the form of the subscription and that subscribers were forced to complete reading a great deal of material before they would find the forums. Easywdw doesn't have those barriers to entry, but its forums were boosted tremendously by the migration over of frequent posters on TGM. This meant less bouncing emoticons and more analytical thinking. (There's nothing wrong with emoticons, but too many disboards posts have more emoticons than meaningful content.) It also sometimes has meant here as it did at TGM that smart people with a strong background point out if you are making a foolish choice. Sometimes the point was made with kindness. Other times, perhaps the person was having a bad day. I had one or two comments made to me that I didn't particularly care for. But, it lead to me posting more thoughtfully.

So, yes, on balance, having some comments being slightly offputting at times is part of the charm of the forum, and stands in contrast to Disboards, which gladly suffers posters leaving misinformation and bad plans.

May be computer illiterate, but I figured out how to set my user title myself when no one else could!! magic1106's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I don't think it's possible for me to be any less defensive than I am being. If I was "defensive" threads like this would either be deleted or closed and I would have quashed all discussion long ago. Frankly, I am sick and tired of the implication that I'm a liar. And if you think that I am, I ask that you leave my site.
    Josh-personally, I think you should lock this thread and any that stray this way. I don't think you are being defensive in any way but you are being forced to defend yourself, your actions, and your way of handling your site on a reoccurring basis.

I have been a member of this forum since the beginning, 2/2011, and have received so much that I could never repay anyone who has helped me.

I do truly miss Pam and her comments. Brenda provided me with an immense amount of help and information for my last trip. And I am sure I have received advice from Christine as well.

That being said, none of them come close to what Josh has given all of us with this website, forum, touring plans, calendars, and now book.

This is Josh's site. His snarky story telling is what drew a lot of us in. His spot on advice has kept us here. Respect him, please!

josh's date at akershus stevenmilz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by magic1106 View Post
    I have been a member of this forum since the beginning, 2/2011
    Me too...

Quote Originally Posted by magic1106 View Post
    Josh-personally, I think you should lock this thread and any that stray this way.
    Me too. The initial question was answered in the first reply. The rest of the thread just "went downhill". I personally would have locked a thread like this on the forum I manage long ago.
    Steve
    Offsite (Jul 87, Nov 09, Feb 13) Disney Institute (Jun 97) CR (Aug 81, Aug 83, Aug 86, May 10) BLT (Dec 10, Sep 11) FW/VWL (Nov 10) Poly (Mar 11, May 11) BC/BCV (Dec 11, Mar 12, Jan 13) BWI/BWV (May 12, Dec 12, May 13, Sep 13, Mar 14, Sep 14) SSR (Oct 11) YC (Oct 12) Swan (Oct 13) WBC (Dec 13, May 14, Dec 14) Pop (Oct 14) POFQ (Jan 15, Mar 15, Sep 15, Oct 15, Jan 16, Sep 16, Nov 16, Mar 17, May 17) CBR (Dec 15) ASMo (Dec 16)