Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Busch Gardens Williamsburg Touring Plan Request

Regarding CW, it sounds like you purchased the tickets, yes? I think that's the only way you get inside the buildings. I see your kids are older than mine, were they bored with the history aspect? Mine are 12, 10, and 7. 12yo is somewhat interested in history, but I don't think it would last longer than an hour before she got bored too. I'm thinking to skip the tickets to enter buildings and simply walk around, shop and eat, and see the free things they do outdoors. There's 5 of us, so it'd be very expensive and I'm thinking not worth it.
    Glad to hear you enjoyed Shields Tavern as I'm thinking of that for lunch as well, seeing as how it'll be the only way we get to go inside a building! (besides the stores) DoG street pub is on my list as well!
    Did you end up doing the Ghost Tour? And if yes, which one? I'm thinking of doing that too, but it can't be an extreme one due to the younger kids.

Thanks!
    Tanya

Medals received : 08 WDW Half ~ 10 Princess Half + 10 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 11 WDW Full ~ 11 Wine & Dine Half ~ 12 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 12 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 13 Half + Full = GOOFY ~ 13 Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare + C2C ~ 14 January Marathon Volunteer ~ 14 ToT 10 miler ~ 15 DOPEY Challenge ~ 15 Avengers ~ 17 cxld Half ~ 2017 DLParis

Medals pending : 2021 Star Wars, 2023 Glass Slipper + Tink

wears a coca-cola shirt to club cool just in case vatmark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by runDisneygirl View Post
    Regarding CW, it sounds like you purchased the tickets, yes? I think that's the only way you get inside the buildings. I see your kids are older than mine, were they bored with the history aspect? Mine are 12, 10, and 7. 12yo is somewhat interested in history, but I don't think it would last longer than an hour before she got bored too. I'm thinking to skip the tickets to enter buildings and simply walk around, shop and eat, and see the free things they do outdoors. There's 5 of us, so it'd be very expensive and I'm thinking not worth it.
    Glad to hear you enjoyed Shields Tavern as I'm thinking of that for lunch as well, seeing as how it'll be the only way we get to go inside a building! (besides the stores) DoG street pub is on my list as well!
    Did you end up doing the Ghost Tour? And if yes, which one? I'm thinking of doing that too, but it can't be an extreme one due to the younger kids.

Thanks!
    Yes we purchased a bounce ticket which allowed us to bounce between Busch Gardens and Colonial Williamsburg. DD will be starting college this fall as a history major. She is specifically interested in US history so this was right up her alley. We did the Public Audience with a Founding Father and the speaker was Thomas Jefferson…DD's favorite founding father so she was in her glory and got her picture taken with him. DS liked it too and will be having an AP US history class this year so this was good for him too. We basically closed CW down. We were there from opening to close and never got bored. I think at the ages your kids are at my kids would have probably been bored. We took them when they were younger and they had no interest in any of the history stuff. If you think your kids would be bored then I wouldn't buy the tickets. Check out the events calendar on the CW site to see what activities are available without a ticket. We did not end up doing the ghost tour but I had done my research and the Tavern Ghost Walk is the one you want to do. It is the better of the two tours and family friendly.

Ann

Nice grab; this username is going to be worth more than twitter.com/disney in 2020. Just cut me in like 10% DisneyMom's Avatar
    Thanks so much Ann for the detail - all great info.
    I haven't been able to get my head in the planning like I normally do because of a bunch of things going on and feel very unorganized for this trip and it's stressing me out.
    Was it you posted an itinerary for CW on Tripadvisor? I've been reading the forums there but posting more in the DC one as we're spending time there too. I may borrow that plan as a starter.
    We will probably only have 2.5 days in Williamsburg because the boys want to do a ball game and there is only one we can make.
    Good to hear about short lines at BG. We are maybe going to do the fireworks cruise there. Have you heard good or bad about it?
    Again - thanks so much - very helpful!
    Starr

Feb/Mar 2010 - CSR
    Jan 2011 - CSR
    May 2012 - ASSp for Expedition Everest Challenge
    Aug 2013 - DLR Offsite
    March 2016 - POR

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMom View Post
    Thanks so much Ann for the detail - all great info.
    I haven't been able to get my head in the planning like I normally do because of a bunch of things going on and feel very unorganized for this trip and it's stressing me out.
    Was it you posted an itinerary for CW on Tripadvisor? I've been reading the forums there but posting more in the DC one as we're spending time there too. I may borrow that plan as a starter.
    We will probably only have 2.5 days in Williamsburg because the boys want to do a ball game and there is only one we can make.
    Good to hear about short lines at BG. We are maybe going to do the fireworks cruise there. Have you heard good or bad about it?
    Again - thanks so much - very helpful!
    If the itinerary on trip advisor was long then that was me. Just make sure to check times for things on the events planner for CW in case they change times up.

I have not heard whether the fireworks cruise was good or not. I did see that a good viewing area is the bridge between Italy and Oktoberfest and the bridge below Lochness is good too. If you decide to get the refillable mugs at CW the refills are free as opposed to BG which the refills I think are 99 cents for soft drinks but you can get slushies too for a little more money. With the CW mugs you can get soft serve ice-cream, root beer slushies and lemonade slushies or make a root beer float with the soft serve ice-cream plus root beer soda for free. You can get the slushies/soft serve at Dubois Grocery. I believe the map you get at visitors center has a symbol where you can get refills. DD loved the refillable mugs from CW because they had a tricorn hat as the top.

Oh also want to point out we had to wait a decent amount of time to get on Lochness and it was not worth it. We all hated that ride. It was like space mountain on steroids. My head and neck got rattled around. It was very rough and if we ever went back we would skip that ride.

At BG they handle getting on the ride vehicles so much differently then Disney. It is kind of a free for all. There was no one there asking how many people and then telling you which line to go into. Some of the 2 seater rides we weren't even sure if we would be on the same ride with the 4 of us.

Ann

Thanks for the info Ann!! And CW has refillable mugs too? Sold. I love the history part, but I think I'll have to just give it up for this trip and go with the kids' flow. That's OK though. We can always return.

Lochness is still there, huh? I rode that 35 years ago and didn't like it either. Of course I was only 5 at the time and was dragged onto it....
    Tanya

Medals received : 08 WDW Half ~ 10 Princess Half + 10 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 11 WDW Full ~ 11 Wine & Dine Half ~ 12 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 12 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 13 Half + Full = GOOFY ~ 13 Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare + C2C ~ 14 January Marathon Volunteer ~ 14 ToT 10 miler ~ 15 DOPEY Challenge ~ 15 Avengers ~ 17 cxld Half ~ 2017 DLParis

Medals pending : 2021 Star Wars, 2023 Glass Slipper + Tink

Quote Originally Posted by runDisneygirl View Post
    Thanks for the info Ann!! And CW has refillable mugs too? Sold. I love the history part, but I think I'll have to just give it up for this trip and go with the kids' flow. That's OK though. We can always return.

Lochness is still there, huh? I rode that 35 years ago and didn't like it either. Of course I was only 5 at the time and was dragged onto it....
    The kids will appreciate CW more when they are older.

One thing I found very interesting at CW is that all the people in costume throughout CW stay in character the whole time. They talk to you as though you are of that time period. They can not come out of character. For many of the outside things they stage people throughout the crowd of visitors there watching and they make comments and talk to each other as though this stuff is really happening. Throughout the place they have people just going about life as if they were in colonial times.

Ann

We are on day four of a twelve day trip that started with the Revolution in Williamsburg, now in DC uniting these great states, and culminating in New York with Newsies, Aladdin, and Les Mis (not sure where that fits into the birth of America); ha. Party consists of family (53, 53, 24, and 19 … all lifelong Disney enthusiasts). In Williamsburg, we stayed at Wyndham Governors Green in a 3-Bedroom Deluxe … same thing in DC, very nice. I think I previously said that we went to Busch on a Monday, but we were actually there on a Sunday.

We arrived in the car line at 9:30 … swing over to the right of the bell curve to get the car through the gate, paid for platinum parking (only because you get parked faster and closer). In short, we did everything, and were out of the park at 6:30. We bought four Platinum Dining cards, and split two meals. 11:35ish at Trappers Smokehouse, “disgusting” was a nice word for it … broke two plastic knives trying to saw into the ribs. At 4:00, we went to the Festhaus and the food was the dog-gone same thing, only they called the sausage a German sausage … but it looked like the same sausage we had at Trappers. I did get some good red cabbage, but that was all. The four platinum dining cards, for four people, was too much food … mediocre food.

We started with Loch Ness, then worked our way counter clockwise (if that’s to the right) doing every roller-coaster … got to Germany and it hadn’t opened, so we waited ten minutes, and then continued working around the rest of the park. “All” the roller coasters were walk-ons … and our choice of first row or last row, or any row. We only had to use lockers twice, and they were just $1 and right by the coasters where we needed them. The longest wait we really had was for the women’s restroom, and it was only three minutes.

Shows were just okay … but the Celtic show was the most enjoyable, I would see it again. We were all done at 6:30, and didn’t care to stay for the fireworks. We’re glad we went one day, but wouldn’t want to spend two+ days there. We were active … walked seven miles, but we’re all about walking, no lines, and enjoying the park.

We wanted to eat at Oceans and Ale, but couldn’t find anyone that had ever heard of it, but we did eat at a “FANTASTIC” restaurant – “Food for Thought”—it was outstanding!!!

We did Colonial Williamsburg the next day, followed everything right off the Website and their brochure … the only difference was that we were able to tour the Randolph House at 9:00, and then still had time to go to the restroom and make it over to the storming of the palace. We followed the gaggle of people from reenactment to reenactment, dropping into shops along the way … ate lunch at King’s Arms Tavern at 11:30, right when they opened, and then left after they went to York.

Other than that, we did the Yankee Candle store … a “lot” of candles, and shopped.

I way over thought Busch Gardens … no touring plan needed if you get there at rope-drop, eat lunch at 11:45 and dinner at 5:45 (or 4:00 in this case). We do that in every park we go to, and when vacationing out … has worked for us all the time … even at Disney World on New Year’s Eve.

Gotta go ... a presidential appointment awaits us in the morning.

Oh, and by the way ... about being the "prettiest Amusement park" ... I would agree with that. The flower beds, and attentiveness was just as good as Disney, but Disney will "never" have all the trees that Virginia has ... and the trees do make it a very beautiful park. AND we were also glad that it wasn't flat, hilly was enjoyable and also added to the beauty.

Nice grab; this username is going to be worth more than twitter.com/disney in 2020. Just cut me in like 10% DisneyMom's Avatar
    Ann - the itinerary was long. :) The amount of detail (typical of an easyWDW planner) and name (Ann) tipped me off. :) Good to know about the refillable mugs at CW. Especially with that heat - yikes. We did California last August and I was worried about the heat, this will be a whole different level I think.
    GrandCanyon - thanks - I've got lots of great tips to file away! Glad to hear from you too that I don't really need much of a plan.

With 2.5 days - I'm thinking we should be doing 1.5 at CW and 1 at BG based on both of your feedback.
    Starr

Feb/Mar 2010 - CSR
    Jan 2011 - CSR
    Aug 2013 - DLR Offsite
    March 2016 - POR

Howdy DisneyMom, I would do Colonial Williamsburg first, and then spend your extra time at Busch. If I was going to spend more than one day, it would be at Busch. Colonial Williamsburg, we love, but it's basically ... watch reenactment, walk to the next reenactment, sit, wait, watch, shop, and then repeat that process throughout the day. Here's our one day at Colonial Williamsburg:

9:00 Tour Powell House (30 minutes)
    10:00 Storming of The Palace (10 minutes)
    11:00 - 11:30 Response to The Crisis
    11:30 - 12:30 King's Arms Tavern
    1:00 - Declaration of Independence (15 minutes)
    2:00 - Order in The Court (30 minutes of funniness ... love it)
    3:00 - Meet a Nation Builder (come-n-go)
    4:00 - A Public Audience With a Founding Father (come-n-go)
    5:00 - On to York Town

Other than that, we make a point to step inside Bruton Epicopal Church, and the William & Mary College bookstore, and buy 1 pound of fine-grind coffee from Aroma's for the condo.

In between, we go into the various shops, look at stuff, and then call it a day. If I was going to spend another half day in the Colonial neck of the woods, I think I would drive down the Colonial Parkway to Jamestown, but we've not actually done that and it might take more than a half day. We drove part of the way, and it was very beautiful.

Which of the coasters has inversions? Sadly, I am the most adventurous one in the family and the kids want to know. Some say on their website and some don't.
    They both go on Space Mountain. One will go on RnR and EE. DH went on Space Mountain once but BTMR is more his speed. None of them really like heights.
    Starr

Feb/Mar 2010 - CSR
    Jan 2011 - CSR
    Aug 2013 - DLR Offsite
    March 2016 - POR

Which of the coasters has inversions? Sadly, I am the most adventurous one in the family and the kids want to know. Some say on their website and some don't.
    They both go on Space Mountain. One will go on RnR and EE. DH went on Space Mountain once but BTMR is more his speed. None of them really like heights.
    I will tell you that the coasters there are a lot more intense then anything Disney has. Loch Ness has inversions, Alpengeist has inversions and Griffon has inversions. Apollos Chariot has no inversions just very big hills. Verbolten is probably the tamest. No inversions but has some dark parts and a surprise I won't say to ruin it for you. Not sure you have been to Universal but Alpengeist reminded me of a more intense Dragon Challenge. The G forces were crazy. The worst ride for me was actually Mach Tower. Me and DD hated that ride. It wasn't the drop that bothered me but going up that high. If anyone has issues with height avoid that ride. The drop was fine for me but I got the willies really bad on the slow ascent. I had to keep my eyes closed the entire time. I would not ride it again. We also noticed that Mach Tower was always going down. The first time we went to go on it we waited a good 15 minutes, finally got on and it went up a foot and came back down and we had to get off because something was wrong with it. We saw it closed may times during our visit. I have issues with heights. It's gotten really bad with age. I was fine on EE at Disney. On Griffon I could not open my eyes for many of the parts especially the first big drop. Yikes! I am fine just feeling the sensations of the rides without having to actually see what the ride is doing.

Ann

I love rides like Mach Tower. I will be the only one who will go on that. DS16 went on Tower of Terror but he said he won't do this with legs dangling and outside. I told him he should just do it and close his eyes, but he didn't go for that.
    I may get the kids to go on Verbolten then and Apollos Chariot. We have been to Universal and I skipped the bigger coasters because it would have been only me. I will probably do them here if I can though.
    DarKastle is a simulator right?
    How much are the refillable mugs at CW and did you buy them at the Visitor's Center? They are good for more than one day right?
    We think we're going to stay in Harrisburg, PA on Sunday night and then have 4 hour drive to Williamsburg Monday. So 1/2 day, then Tues and Weds. Trying to decide now whether to stay one more day or leave early Thursday for a day time Nationals game. It's the only game we can make and unless we can get shaded seats with maybe club access I don't think we will do it anyway. If we skip the ball game and stay longer, will probably let the kids do some water park time.
    Starr

Feb/Mar 2010 - CSR
    Jan 2011 - CSR
    Aug 2013 - DLR Offsite
    March 2016 - POR

I love rides like Mach Tower. I will be the only one who will go on that. DS16 went on Tower of Terror but he said he won't do this with legs dangling and outside. I told him he should just do it and close his eyes, but he didn't go for that.
    I may get the kids to go on Verbolten then and Apollos Chariot. We have been to Universal and I skipped the bigger coasters because it would have been only me. I will probably do them here if I can though.
    DarKastle is a simulator right?
    How much are the refillable mugs at CW and did you buy them at the Visitor's Center? They are good for more than one day right?
    We think we're going to stay in Harrisburg, PA on Sunday night and then have 4 hour drive to Williamsburg Monday. So 1/2 day, then Tues and Weds. Trying to decide now whether to stay one more day or leave early Thursday for a day time Nationals game. It's the only game we can make and unless we can get shaded seats with maybe club access I don't think we will do it anyway. If we skip the ball game and stay longer, will probably let the kids do some water park time.
    I don't remember the price of the refillable mugs but they are good for the entire year. They sold 2 types of mugs. Ones that were cold beverage only and the others that were hot and cold beverage. I believe they were priced differently. The hot/cold mugs were smaller.

I love ToT but Mach Tower not so much. Yes Dark Kastle is a simulator ride. It reminded me a bit of the transformers ride and Spider-Man ride at Universal. Similar type of ride just not as good as universal. Not sure if you have anyone in your group that gets motion sickness but beware on Europe in the Air. If I hadn't taken Bonine that day I would have probably been ill from that ride. It even made DH a bit quesy and he does not get motion/car sick.

My brother used to live in the DC area and we saw a Nationals game with him one time. We had a nice time. The stadium is nice. Not as nice as Yankee Stadium..just sayin.

Ann

Thanks for the heads up on motion sickness. DH gets it. He is fine on Soarin and I thought this might be similar but maybe no.
    We've been to Fenway but not Yankee Stadium. They weren't playing when we were in NYC so we went to a Mets game.
    Starr

Feb/Mar 2010 - CSR
    Jan 2011 - CSR
    Aug 2013 - DLR Offsite
    March 2016 - POR

Great thread...enjoying reading the tips and such. Hoping to get there next year!

~~~2015 Moved to Florida from PA!~~~

Thanks for the heads up on motion sickness. DH gets it. He is fine on Soarin and I thought this might be similar but maybe no.
    We've been to Fenway but not Yankee Stadium. They weren't playing when we were in NYC so we went to a Mets game.
    We have all been totally fine on Soarin. The ride is similar with a screen with different scenes that you travel through but you are in seats in a whole big section that moves. It was not the nice gentle glide like Soarin. It was kinda twisty and jerky and it is almost like all the movement wasn't needed and didn't really work well with the actual film. DH has never had motion sickness on anything and this ride didn't sit well with him or any of us for that matter. I ended up all the way on the end next to the high wall. If you can help it do not go all the way down the row. They made us go all the way to the end seat and then once I had the seatbelt on I looked over and most of our row was empty but it was too late to move further toward the center.

Ann

DS14 was saying it was probably because the motion of the seats didn't match the motion on the screen, so sounds like that could be the case.
    Starr

Feb/Mar 2010 - CSR
    Jan 2011 - CSR
    Aug 2013 - DLR Offsite
    March 2016 - POR

Europe in the Air is absolutely terrible. It was clearly meant to be like Soarin' but Busch didn't spend the money to make it anywhere close, instead retrofitting a very old motion simulator to a new movie.

Sorry you all didn't enjoy the food at Trappers. I've never had a bad meal there, but I haven't been back to the park since 2012. I hope that it hasn't take a general slide. If anyone who hasn't visited yet wants barbecue but doesn't want to chance Trappers after the reviews, Pierces Pitt nearby is generally regarded as very good bbq.

Glad every one seems to have a had a good time and no lines at BGW. I have a soft spot for the park, it's a special place for my wife and I. We even rented a plantation nearby for our wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by Enjoralas View Post
    Europe in the Air is absolutely terrible. It was clearly meant to be like Soarin' but Busch didn't spend the money to make it anywhere close, instead retrofitting a very old motion simulator to a new movie.

Sorry you all didn't enjoy the food at Trappers. I've never had a bad meal there, but I haven't been back to the park since 2012. I hope that it hasn't take a general slide. If anyone who hasn't visited yet wants barbecue but doesn't want to chance Trappers after the reviews, Pierces Pitt nearby is generally regarded as very good bbq.

Glad every one seems to have a had a good time and no lines at BGW. I have a soft spot for the park, it's a special place for my wife and I. We even rented a plantation nearby for our wedding.
    We had Roccos Smokehouse one night and it was good. We ordered take out and ate it back in our hotel room with some adult beverages. We would like to try Pierces if we ever get back out there again.

Ann

Sad to hear bad comments on the smokehouse. It has been a while since I have ate in the park, but that's was always our go to in the past. Never was award winning but at least enjoyable in the park.
    Jessica

DS (8) and DS (6)

JUNE 1989: Fort Wilderness and Disney Inn
    MAR 1996: Offsite
    NOV 2014 and 2015: Pop Century
    JUNE 2016: Gaylord Palms/Beach
    NOV 2016: CBR
    DEC 2017 and 2018: Pop Century
    June 2019: The Grove
    September 2019: Pop Century

Europe in the Air is like Soarin and Star Tours put together. It's awful. I won't ride it again. My kids love it though (10 and 8).

The Smokehouse has really good smoked meat, except the ribs from what I hear (I don't eat ribs). My DH and DS say they are fatty and won't get a rack, but we do get the Sampler (brisket, chicken & ribs) and split it as a snack for all four of us. We were there Wednesday (we have AP) and the chicken and brisket were really good (the ribs still looked fatty to me). Most of the time, we pack a lunch and eat in the parking lot and for dinner we go into Williamsburg (Richmond Rd. area). The food in the park is expensive and usually not that good.

We are having a really nice week here as far as temperatures. It's been in the low to mid 80s and less humidity. Low crowds at the park too. Our longest wait was 20 minutes (Verbolten), but most rides (not talking about coasters) were under 10 minutes.

~KBO
    1997 - 1st trip - Big pink birthday cake castle - vacation ruined.
    2008 - POR; 2009 - POFQ; 2011 - POFQ; 2012 - POP; 2013 - ASMo; 2014 - POP, 2016 - POP

Funny, the kids and. I rode Europe in the Air today, DH did not. I told him it was like Star tours seating, but bigger.
    We didn't find it bad, but definitely not Soarin' quality. It didn't make any of us feel sick.
    Starr

Feb/Mar 2010 - CSR
    Jan 2011 - CSR
    Aug 2013 - DLR Offsite
    March 2016 - POR