Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DVC Rooms - Charts with detailed room info

No. I don't think it deserves its own section but something rubs me wrong with lumping it with the 2BR villas. I feel there are people out there looking for that solution, and it would be lost in the hay stack.

Unfortunately, I don't have a better alternative. Let me sleep on it and see what I come up with.
    I am @GrtBigBeautiful on DizTwitter

Wait a minute.

Before I go to bed (and I really should sleep on this) but it occurs to me that most people looking for lodging (especially newbies) aren't as concerned about the number of rooms, but more worried about how many it sleeps. So really the categories shouldn't be "Studio", "1BR", etc, but broke down by the number of people each villa sleeps. Then, the number of actual bedrooms (which would be a separate column) could differentiate between the 2BR and the THV.

That is why I put THV with the 2BRs, since they sleep the same number, I could call it "Sleeps 8-10" I suppose... but I wouldn't want to lump together the Studios and 1BRs in the same way, even though they both are "Sleeps 4-5" but they are so different in many other ways.

I need to go to bed too.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR

Quote Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post
    ... but I wouldn't want to lump together the Studios and 1BRs in the same way, even though they both are "Sleeps 4-5" but they are so different in many other ways.

I need to go to bed too.
    You are right. We need to go to bed.

Separating by the number a villa sleeps works well for 2BR and above, but collapses for Studios and 1BRs. I don't even consider Studios and 1BRs, so I didn't even think of that fact.

We need bnoble's help.

I think I will just leave it where it is, unless you (or someone else) has a better idea.

My main reasoning is that the charts are really intended for comparison between similar things they are considering. A group of this size is most likely to compare the THV to the 2BRs since they all hold a similar number of people. Same is true if you want to compare the 1BRs to each other to see the differences, etc. It does help to state that the THV are 3 BR (which it now does), but for the purposes of comparison I think they are in a reasonable spot.

By the way, the only reason I didn't do the other locations (Aulani, etc) the same way, is that the most likely comparison you want to make is within that resort since you likely already picked your destination, and now want to decide what room to stay in, or learn more about it.

Good discussion.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR

I updated the charts in Post 1 to fix a few issues, and add additional information.

- I added room counts for the different views at Kidani and VB (Inn rooms)
    - I corrected an error with the BWV Studios
    - I attempted to account for reclassified Jambo rooms that were changed from Savanna to Standard View (this is just an estimate since no one knows for sure, but my best guess is that there were 8 Dedicated Studios and 19 Lockoffs reclassified based on all of the reports out there).
    Micah

MousePerks

Micah, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

This is great.
    Thanks for creating it Micah.

I updated Post 1 with the new Polynesian Villas and Bungalows. Let me know if you see any errors with it (a few things were difficult to categorize, since they are unique).
    Micah

MousePerks

I updated Post 1 with some new numbers for Jambo.

After some research from a few different sources I think I have been able to determine exactly which rooms were reclassified from Savanna to Standard View.

Here is the breakdown of the Standard View rooms:

Pool View: (original Standard View)
    3 Dedicated Studios
    10 Lock-Offs

Reclassified: (formerly Savanna)
    11 Dedicated Studios
    24 Lock-Offs
    Micah

MousePerks

I updated Post 1 with some new numbers for Aulani.

Confirmed the number of "hotel" rooms that were converted to DVC (8), and updated to include 1 Island View Studio and remove a Island View lockoff (which was done as part of a conversion, but I had missed in my numbers).
    Last edited by Micah008; 03-08-2015 at 08:34 PM.
    Micah

MousePerks

I updated Post 1 with some new numbers for Saratoga Springs and BoardWalk.

Saratoga Springs now includes both a Standard and Preferred View. All BoardWalk Studios can now officially be booked for 5, and the 2BR for 9 now.
    Micah

MousePerks

I'm new to these boards (but not to DVC, having been an owner at BWV since 1997) and must say this is an amazing and very helpful table! Thanks, Micah!

One little tweak you might consider is on the BWV line, changing "Preferred" to "Pool/Garden" or "P/G." Historically, when BWV first opened, the BW view and P/G view rooms were all in the same booking category of Preferred (vs. Standard), and you could request a BW view room but wouldn't know whether you got it or not until you checked in. After a few years (can't remember how long) it was apparent that the demand for BW view was such that DVC made "BW view" and "Pool/Garden view" separate booking categories (but didn't change the points costs). So someone booking on points now reserves either a Standard view, a BW view, or a P/G view.

BUT to further complicate things, I think Disney CRO still uses the old Standard and Preferred booking categories for its cash reservations, so I can see keeping the terminology you have now. Yes, it's me, not you - when someone posts they've reserved a Preferred view at BWV, I wonder whether it's BW or P/G view!

Thanks for the input Carolyn.

When first creating this table I actually struggled with this exact topic of what to do with the Garden/Pool rooms. The main reason I did it the way I did is that I am already listing multiple view levels in each line with a / to separate them. So it would end up being Standard/Garden/Pool/BoardWalk on this one line which makes it look like 4 separate room categories, but then would only show 3 numbers since Garden/Pool is really combined.... so I took the easy way out and went with just 'Preferred' which Disney still uses at times too. (If you look at the official point charts they actually still list it this way as "Preferred", but I think it may just be historical since the rest of the website uses the Garden/Pool name.)

The only other simple thing I can think of would be to do something more like "Standard/Garden-Pool/BW" or "GP" or "GardenPool" without using a "/" in there. I'm just not sure if that makes it better or worse... Sorry, thinking and typing at the same time. What do you think?
    Micah

MousePerks

I updated Post 1 with the new Beach Club numbers after refurb. And changed to "Gdn-Pool" for the BWV "Preferred" room category based on the input from Carolyn above.

The Studios at BCV now sleep 5 with a Murphy Bed (which is finally bookable as of today!), the Lock-Off 2BRs now sleep 9 officially with the Morphy Bed too, and also the Dedicated 2BRs now all have 2 Queens rather than just some of them.
    Micah

MousePerks

Very helpful. Thanks!
    Pictures of our gluten free dairy free food in Disney
    Just back from a Summer Trip!

Why not add the THV to the GV section and rename it to Grand Villa / 3 Bedroom? I think that's technically where it belongs, and the data for the THV will clearly show that there is a big difference between them and a GV. Just my thoughts.

2004 (May) - SSR / 2004 (Aug) - SSR / 2005 (May) - SSR / 2006 (Apr) - SSR, (Oct) - SSR / 2007 (May) - BWV / 2008 (Oct) - SSR / 2009 (Sep) - AKV/BLT / 2010 (Mar) - SSR/AKV, (Aug) - BWV, (Dec) - SSR / 2011 (May) - SSR, (Aug) - BCV / 2012 (Mar) - BWV, (Nov) - BWV/VWL / 2013 (Oct) - AKV/SSR / 2014 (May) - SSR / 2016 (Oct) - SSR / 2017 (Mar) - SSR, (Oct) - CCV/SSR / 2018 (Mar) - SSR/BWV, (Sep) - AKV/BCV

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    Why not add the THV to the GV section and rename it to Grand Villa / 3 Bedroom? I think that's technically where it belongs, and the data for the THV will clearly show that there is a big difference between them and a GV. Just my thoughts.
    Thanks for the input. I know I considered it both ways when putting this together... and I honestly can't remember the reason I ended up this way. I believe my thought at the time was that it wasn't truly a Grand Villa so it didn't feel right putting it there. But, it clearly isn't a 2BR either. Maybe the THV and Bungalows just need an "Other".
    Micah

MousePerks

Just mentioning it here too - the BCV dedicated 2 bedroom we stayed in this month has 2 showers and 1 soaker tub, no shower/tub combo. Also, as a bonus, it has USB ports in the furniture.
    Last edited by ptlohmysoul; 01-21-2017 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ptlohmysoul View Post
    Just mentioning it here too - the dedicated 2 bedroom we stayed in this month has 2 showers and 1 soaker tub, no shower/tub combo. Also, as a bonus, it has USB ports in the furniture.
    Which resort?
    Micah

MousePerks

I grew up in a family of 5. Thank you for creating and for sharing! It will help many.

Oops! Edited to add BCV.

he's right
    Quote Originally Posted by ptlohmysoul View Post
    Just mentioning it here too - the BCV dedicated 2 bedroom we stayed in this month has 2 showers and 1 soaker tub, no shower/tub combo. Also, as a bonus, it has USB ports in the furniture.
    Do the accessible studios have roll-in showers? If so, that might explain the lack of a shower/tub combo.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    Do the accessible studios have roll-in showers? If so, that might explain the lack of a shower/tub combo.
    Maybe these are renovated rooms? With the CSR renovations, the tub/showers are going to be replaced with walk-in showers. Disney seems to pick a new design feature and then run with it, i.e., those mini beds in the Mods and other locations.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    The showers were not roll-in, but had about a 3-4 inch wall for its "tub" - I don't know the correct terminology - I hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Maybe these are renovated rooms? With the CSR renovations, the tub/showers are going to be replaced with walk-in showers. Disney seems to pick a new design feature and then run with it, i.e., those mini beds in the Mods and other locations.
    Really doesn't make sense. Disney knows young kids that still are bathed by their parents go there, right? Maybe everyone will just let their kids bathe in the swimming pools :/