Thread: "Pooh Shaped" Adult riding coasters with skinny child - how safe?

"Pooh Shaped" Adult riding coasters with skinny child - how safe?

Ok, my embarrassing question of the day. I am somewhat "pooh shaped" and will be riding most rides with my tall but super skinny 6 year old. I am concerned with the double bar restraint system I am used to on most coaster type rides, where you have one bar that comes over both passengers. Is this safe for him to ride with me? If not we have an issue, because he won't ride something like Splash or BTMRR beside anyone but mom!

Lori

I have a "Pooh shaped" dad and I never had any problems riding next to him, even when I was little. If the ride would not be safe for that, then there would probably be individual restraints. I can definitely remember being squished by dad on BTMMR, but never felt unsafe.
    - Erin

WDW - '96, '97, '00, 12/03, 8/08 (ASMu / WL), 1/10 - Graduation Celebration (POFQ), 1/11 - Dad's 60th (Pop), 8/13 (POFQ), 11/13 (ASMu), 5/14 - Solo Trip (off-site), 9/14 - Got Engaged! (WBC / AKL), 8/15 (POFQ), 10/15 (offsite) - Solo Osborne Trip, 8/17 (POFQ)

Trip Report from 5/14
    Engagement Story and Pictures
    Trip Report from 8/17

fizboBunny
    There is no restraint on splash.

Quote Originally Posted by fizboBunny View Post
    There is no restraint on splash.
    I believe there is one. I remember my DW not wanting to go because she was afraid of the drop. I said, "How bad could it be, there isn't even a bar". When we sat down there was a bar and wanted to get off. She stayed and had a good time, but I do think there was a bar.
    A cold and rainy day at WDW is still better than a day at work.

he's right
    There is a bar on Splash now, but it is not to protect the riders from the ride. It is to protect the ride from the riders. (Too many fools were standing up if a log got stopped, etc.)

Other than Tower (which has individual seat belts) I can't think of any Disney ride in Orlando that has enough force to bring you out of your seat.

fizboBunny
    I remember when TOT had the bar. I remember having to hold my little sister down.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fizboBunny View Post
    I remember when TOT had the bar. I remember having to hold my little sister down.
    I remember putting that bar down really loosely so we'd fly around more.

There's a quick point on BTMRR if you sit in the back you get some serious lift, but the bar keeps you in.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Lori, I think it's safe but am struggling a bit with the same worries. Disney wouldn't take the liability risk if it wasn't safe. I'm honestly worried about whether my 5 yo daughter and I will be able to fit comfortably on things like Barnstormer... usually I make her dad ride with her, but this is a mommy/daughter trip. She's a thrill ride junkie, so I'm going to at least try it. I'm down 100 lbs since last year's trip, but I'm still anxious about it. And I'd really like to know what the seats are like on the Mine Train in case it's in soft opening while we're there.

If you haven't checked it out allears has some good info on each ride (some is a bit out of date) http://allears.net/tp/ridsiz.htm

I grew up as that tall skinny kid who rode rides with my "pooh" sized mom, and I'm still here! I actually loved riding BTMRR with her. I always got a little more lift due to the bar being that much higher. It wasn't enough to seriously be an issue, but just enough. That's actually the only ride I can think of with that situation. I think you and your son will be just fine. Don't worry about it! The first time you go on the ride, make sure he holds on to something to see how he moves around. Then you'll feel more secure for subsequent rides and he can put his hands in the air!
    Tanya

Medals received : 08 WDW Half ~ 10 Princess Half + 10 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 11 WDW Full ~ 11 Wine & Dine Half ~ 12 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 12 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 13 Half + Full = GOOFY ~ 13 Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare + C2C ~ 14 January Marathon Volunteer ~ 14 ToT 10 miler ~ 15 DOPEY Challenge ~ 15 Avengers ~ 17 cxld Half ~ 2017 DLParis

Medals pending : 2021 Star Wars, 2023 Glass Slipper + Tink

I'm not very big, but we always seem to have a 3 or 4 year old in our family every time we go, and any person that little sharing a lap bar with an adult is going to have the bar be up relatively high. On BTMR, I always put my arm around the child and hold onto the bar on the other side of him. That keeps the little one from going from side to side. They still get a little bit more lift, but the ride would have had separate bars if it were important.

My DD is super-skinny, but she doesn't do thrill rides. FWIW, though, I have found that you need to watch out for things with very smooth seats as well, even if they are not thrill rides. Pooh comes to mind. When that ride stops suddenly, she goes sliding. Things like Gran Fiesta Tour that have the friction strip are fine, but smooth seats are her kryptonite. The best advice I can give, Lori, is to try to "teach" your DS how to brace - against the restraint, with his feet against the floor - and practice on a few mid-level rides before you do the crazier rides.

Also, I agree that if WDW has just one bar for the whole ride vehicle, that means that no harm should come to your son. I can't think that they are not aware that "fluffier" (that's my term of choice) guests ride with slimmer ones, and in rides where that is at all an issue they would do separate restraints.
    Kami
    - Mom to the world's biggest <"/ & c"| and fans

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Why seat belts are important on ToT:

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

For many of the rides the lap bar is not to keep you in the ride per say, it's to keep you form standing up on it. There are many rides that even if you got a little lift, you still wouldnt need the bar to keep you safe. If safety is an issue then there are individual restraints like there are on Space or Rockin Roller Coaster. You'll be fine.

Poly - April 6 thru 12, 2014

owes it all to duffy
    I am pooh sized and had no issues on the Barnstormer with my 4 year old or any other ride with any of my kids who are not pooh sized. The only ride that I found tight was the Sum of All Thrills.
    Jill

12/1998 - Offsite
    4/2003 - CSR (convention)
    2/2010 - CBR
    5/2011 - CSR - trip report, trip report part 2
    10/2011 - Grand Floridian - trip report
    4/2014 - POR - trip report
    12/2015 - Grand Floridian
    1/2016 - Universal Studios - Portofino Bay trip report
    3/2016 - CSR

Big Thunder is the only one I can think of that might present a problem. But as far as I can remember I have never heard of anyone that actually fell out of a ride before. I am not sure if they will let you sit in separate rows with the age of the child.

Oh yeah Barnstormer is going to be a tight fit. And I'd skip Astro Orbiter.

George, that video freaks me out. I love thrill rides but only when I feel secure, I like when there are shoulder harnesses.
    Selena
    Mom to 3 little princesses
    1st Trip to WDW - March 2009 to celebrate a 5th birthday
    2nd Trip to WDW - May 2012 to celebrate a 5th birthday
    I can only assume that trip #3 will be Jan 2015 (you guessed it, 5th birthday)

If that ToT moron landed on me due to not wearing his seatbelt, he would have gotten a knuckle sandwich!

Netflix queue currently at 3,912 - all Disney related LizD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessmela View Post
    I'm down 100 lbs since last year's trip, but I'm still anxious about it.
    Wow! Good for you!!!

My husband is 6' 4" and wears a 2x-3x tall men's shirt. He rode everything wih our kids bc I'm a huge wimp. They rode Barnstormer multiple times, the legroom wasnt perfectly comfortable for him but he went on it 3 times so not too bad.

he's right
    There's a quick point on BTMRR if you sit in the back you get some serious lift, but the bar keeps you in.
    I can't recall actually coming out of my seat there, but yes the back row is the best seat on Thunder. It is on many coasters; for a few others it is the front. But, there is one infamous counter-example: the "ejector seat" on Magnum XL-200 is the third row of the first car. You are thrown into the air hard enough that you want the bar a little loose, and the belt very tight, else you'll end up with bruised thighs.

does anybody know how to change this? pfalcioni's Avatar
    For many of the rides the lap bar is not to keep you in the ride per say, it's to keep you form standing up on it. There are many rides that even if you got a little lift, you still wouldnt need the bar to keep you safe. If safety is an issue then there are individual restraints like there are on Space or Rockin Roller Coaster. You'll be fine.
    That, and this:

FWIW, though, I have found that you need to watch out for things with very smooth seats as well, even if they are not thrill rides. Pooh comes to mind. When that ride stops suddenly, she goes sliding. Things like Gran Fiesta Tour that have the friction strip are fine, but smooth seats are her kryptonite. The best advice I can give, Lori, is to try to "teach" your DS how to brace - against the restraint, with his feet against the floor - and practice on a few mid-level rides before you do the crazier rides.
    Or you could do the "mom seatbelt" like my parents always did - the quick arm slammed across my chest anytime a ride did something abrupt. That always added another layer of "fun" to rides.

Quote Originally Posted by whatchadoon View Post
    My DD is super-skinny, but she doesn't do thrill rides. FWIW, though, I have found that you need to watch out for things with very smooth seats as well, even if they are not thrill rides. Pooh comes to mind. When that ride stops suddenly, she goes sliding. Things like Gran Fiesta Tour that have the friction strip are fine, but smooth seats are her kryptonite. The best advice I can give, Lori, is to try to "teach" your DS how to brace - against the restraint, with his feet against the floor - and practice on a few mid-level rides before you do the crazier rides.

Also, I agree that if WDW has just one bar for the whole ride vehicle, that means that no harm should come to your son. I can't think that they are not aware that "fluffier" (that's my term of choice) guests ride with slimmer ones, and in rides where that is at all an issue they would do separate restraints.

Definitely ly practice or explain bracing and holding techniques. I (135lbs) rode with my thin four yr old son and he almost slid off the seat and under the bar on BTMRR. Luckily I had my arm around behind him and could grab him and tuck him into my side. His feet didn't touch the floor so he had nothing to brace against and didn't understand that he needed to hold onto the bar instead of my hand.
    Mama to twin four year old boys!

Lots of good advice. This makes me feel better. And I will talk to him about bracing because he definately wants to hold my hand! In fact he already said he isn't riding Space because the seats aren't beside each other and he can't hold my hand!

Just wanted to check back and say that we did everything we wanted with no problems: Barnstormer, BTMRR, Splash, Soarin, Star Tours, etc. When there were shared lap bars, she did have a lot of extra room but I told her to hold on and it seemed to work well.

does anybody know how to change this? pfalcioni's Avatar
    Just wanted to check back and say that we did everything we wanted with no problems: Barnstormer, BTMRR, Splash, Soarin, Star Tours, etc. When there were shared lap bars, she did have a lot of extra room but I told her to hold on and it seemed to work well.
    Awesome! So glad you were able to do it all. I love that about Disney, their rides are amazingly accessible to many body shapes.