Thread: 2 mod rooms or 1 value room/1 value suite?

2 mod rooms or 1 value room/1 value suite?

This trip will be my parents, myself and dh and my kids, ages 9,7,5,3,1.

We are debating between getting two rooms at a mod or else getting a value room and suite at ASM.

I know we'd have more room to spread out if we did the value. But I'm wondering a couple of things. First, will we be able to get a suite and room together? How is the resort laid out?

Second, is it worth having that space if the resort itself isn't as nice? I'm thinking the food court, pool, general atmosphere? We've never stayed at a value and only spent two nights at a mod once.
    Kate

tests unsafe roller coasts in china blyday's Avatar
    I know we'd have more room to spread out if we did the value. But I'm wondering a couple of things. First, will we be able to get a suite and room together? How is the resort laid out?
    No, you would not be able to get the rooms by each other. The regular rooms are in a building of their own and the suites are in the other buildings. So, your parents would be in the Little Mermaid building and the rest of you would be in a different building depending on which one you choose.

Second, is it worth having that space if the resort itself isn't as nice? I'm thinking the food court, pool, general atmosphere? We've never stayed at a value and only spent two nights at a mod once.
    I guess I'm not sure what you mean by the resort not being as nice? The themeing is most definitely different with the AoA resort being more "in your face" Disney. The Food Court at AoA is considered to be one of if not the best on Disney property. The pool area is wonderful, only missing the water slide that you get at a Moderate. I've read and seen pictures of the splash zone that tell me that it would be a lot of fun for the younger ones.

What you don't get at a value that you get at a moderate is the slightly larger rooms, Queen Beds, more subdued theming, a TS option, and the previously mentioned slide at the pool.
    Brenda

expert on dietary needs and disney dining clanmcculloch's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure that there are regular rooms in the same buildings as the family suites at ASMu but I don't know if any are side-by-side. I'm 99.99% sure that there aren't any suites that have a connecting door to another room.

Take a look at pictures to see if you like the theming and look at the food court menu to see if you like the selection. Value does not mean it's dumpy or unsavory or dirty or grungy or whatever your concern may be. Value means that they don't have a slide, don't have a TS restaurant, and that the theming is over the top big icons and bright colours. In the suite you'll get a queen bed but the regular room will be 2 full size beds.

Merida
    We stayed at Music in February in a standard room (Jazz Building 2). All of the family suites are in Calypso (preferred) and Jazz (standard) and I do know that there were a few family suites either 1 or 2 rooms down from us (we had a corner room).

I do wonder if you'd have a better chance having rooms next to each other if you book a suite + preferred standard room, since only the 2 Calypso buildings are preferred, but there are 8 other standard buildings, and the family suites are only in 2 of those 8 buildings... ?!

And as far as theming goes, it wasn't that bad really. I really liked the area we were in. The courtyard was so beautiful and relaxing with water fountain and roses :)
    Last edited by Merida; 04-10-2014 at 11:52 AM.

expert on dietary needs and disney dining clanmcculloch's Avatar
    I did forget to mention that about the preferred room. If you want the regular room to be in the same building as the family suite then the regular room will have to be preferred.

tests unsafe roller coasts in china blyday's Avatar
    Okay.....I totally read everything wrong. This not resting well thing is really effecting me!!! I thought that I'd read AoA not ASMu....sorry about that and just ignore that part of what I said!!! (Glad that the others are on the ball!!)

An advantage that you have with the All-Star resorts is that you can pool hop so you actually have access to 3 feature pools to play in. you can also go to any of the 3 food courts giving you more variety then at the other resorts.
    Brenda

Brenda - Unfortunately we are looking at ASMu, not AoA, because of price. I don't know what I mean by "not as nice" either, lol!! Just knowing that values are a step down from moderate and I am not entirely sure what I'd be giving up. Does that make sense?

I guess at this point, my biggest concern is having rooms that are far away from one another. So I'll have to think through that. Thanks!!
    Kate

fizboBunny
    We stayed in a family suite in ASMu. My parents were in a regular room right next door.

eta: we were in the Jazz section. My mom had the corner room, we had the one next to her.

fizboBunny
    Things to keep in mind. The family suites at ASMu have a different layout than at AOA. The master bath and bedroom do not connect. The kitchen is a galley kitchen and it's tiny. Very hard for multiple people to maneuver.

We enjoyed our stay there, but it was just DH, myself and our 3 year old sharing the suite. My parents did come over for breakfast in the mornings.

layout here:
    http://www.mousesavers.com/family-su...-music-resort/