Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Disney Vacation Account - first hand report

I was reading up on the Disney Vacation Account today as I am using it to pay for our package in September and I noticed this:

Can I pay for hotel reservations with my Disney Vacation Account?
    Yes, you may use your Disney Vacation Account to pay for hotel-only reservations at the following hotels:
    Walt Disney World Resort in Florida

• Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort
    • Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
    • Disney's All-Star Movies Resort
    • Disney's All-Star Music Resort
    • Disney's All-Star Sports Resort
    • Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
    • Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas
    • Disney's Art of Animation Resort
    • Disney's Beach Club Resort
    • Disney's BoardWalk Inn
    • Disney's BoardWalk Villas
    • Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
    • Disney's Contemporary Resort
    • Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
    • Disney's Pop Century Resort
    • Disney's Port Orleans Resort – Riverside
    • Disney's Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter
    • Disney's Polynesian Resort
    • Disney's Wilderness Lodge
    • Disney's Yacht Club Resort
    • The Cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort
    • The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort
    • The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

Hawai`i

• Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa in Ko Olina, Hawaii

Have the rules changed? Also, could I use this to purchase an Annual pass?

If I am reading this correctly, one can use the account to pay for Room only or tickets and still get the rewards...

What is the Bonus program?
    You'll be eligible for a $20 Disney Gift Card for every $1000 you spend on qualified vacation purchases with your Disney Vacation Account prior to December 31, 2015 (date subject to extension), up to a total maximum of $500 in Disney Gift Card(s) per household. Your Disney Vacation Account must be active for a minimum of 120 days at the time of spending in order to receive this Bonus. All accounts registered to the same address are considered part of the same household.
    Qualified vacation purchases include vacation packages for the Walt Disney World Resort or the Disneyland Resort, theme park tickets, room stays, cruise fare, and vacations by Adventures By Disney. Purchases of Disney Gift Cards are not qualified vacation purchases for purposes of this Bonus program.
    Request your Disney Gift Card(s) 4 to 6 weeks in advance of your vacation date to allow time for delivery to your mailing address.

~Vicki~

expert on dietary needs and disney dining clanmcculloch's Avatar
    With all the problems I was having, I wasn't about to take the risk of not being able to use it at check-in. Until I read of others being able to do it successfully I'm not using it for room only reservations or ticket purchases.

No idea why it got so complicated for others to pay for a room only reservation. I sat up a DSA back in Jan when it was first announced and have used it for room only, no problem at all. I even got a refund for my first room only reservation and booked a 2nd one with the account. Yes, to pay on a room only reservation you have to call, no matter what type of payment you are doing. It's very simple to use. A free $20 is a free $20 so I'll continue to use it, provided I can have at least $1000 in there for 120 days. Sorry so many are having issues with it. I think the issues are not with the account but with the CMs on the phone who are clueless on using the accounts.
    Last edited by AngiTN; 04-10-2014 at 09:43 AM.

I wanted to come back and update this for any one thinking about using the DVA. I purchased Halloween Party tickets with it, no problem at all, it went through just like a gift card would.
    I also just paid for my package (free dining) and requested my bonus. I should get $60 in gift cards for using it. I got a message stating that they were calculating my bonus and will send the cards with in 2-3 weeks of my travel date.

Worked great for us! I just loaded the gift cards in to the DVA as I bought them and made sure my account was 120 days old when I paid my balance. I'll try to remember and update when we get the bonus gift cards too.
    ~Vicki~

I'm glad you posted your update. I forgot all about posting mine.

I too got my bonus. I got $80 just for using the account to store our gift cards. Not bad if you ask me.

So to summarize, with the DVA I was able to

Book our Resort, pay it off in full once I got the full amount in there. I figured why not do this before hand, instead of at check in
    Ordered park tickets
    Ordered Harambe Nights tickets
    Had the balance left in the account sent to me on a single gift card
    Got my bonus (I have received it, it was sent about 3 weeks after I requested it)

The only thing I was not able to do with the DVA was purchase the Photopass Archive Disk

Quote Originally Posted by AngiTN View Post

Got my bonus (I have received it, it was sent about 3 weeks after I requested it)
    That was my only concern. I don't want to get the bonus gift cards too late. Glad it worked out for you too!
    ~Vicki~

Thanks for sharing your experiences, everyone. I thought about DVA for about 4 seconds when I saw the first ad, but a 2% discount didn't seem a compelling reason to tie up money in a way that would make it more difficult to access. As a place to park gift cards purchased with my Target Red Card, however, it makes more sense. I used a stack of $50 gift cards on our last trip to pay for meals, but found them almost more trouble to keep track of than they were worth.

I need to buy a couple of annual passes for our January trip so I think I'll give this a try.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." J.R.R. Tolkien

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    It seems like DVA has ironed out some of its wrinkles.

You can pay DVC dues from your DVA now, and every $1,000 spent will earn you a $20 Disney Gift Card*. You just have to call Member Services and tell them you want to pay your dues using a Gift Card; don't mention DVA, since they probably won't know what you're talking about. Cast Member roulette, you know.

Here's the DIS thread. Once in a while they're good for something!

*After 120 days of the account being open. Since many of us here got accounts last January, we're covered. But new Account members are reporting that they signed up and six months later got their GCs.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Will work for Dole Whips. Brandie's Avatar
    Thanks for reporting back from the DIS. I'm glad there's brave souls like you willing to go over there and find the pearls.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandie View Post
    Thanks for reporting back from the DIS. I'm glad there's brave souls like you willing to go over there and find the pearls.
    The DVC and DLR sections are pretty civil. I have to say I never read the WDW sections there, unless I'm pointed there by others to a particularly entertaining train wreck. Then it's Hill. Larry. Us.

Stupid Judy.

Glad to hear that more and more things are working with the program.

I wonder if they've confirmed it's extension or increased the maximum payout over $500?

wow, I just read all of that before I realized the OP was a year old LOL I thought it was from Monday

Anyway - sounds like it's gotten better - but why don't they just make it easy and then everyone would use it?

It would be an awesome way to save $ and then pay it all out onto one GC that you use to buy tickets, pay for rooms etc and put the balance on a GC for while you're on property. Disney would then have your $ to play with while you saved it and then they'd know they're going to bring in $X each week in GC sales as well

Seems like it's a win win for Disney
    CR Jan 18-23 2018 YC Jan 23-28

Quote Originally Posted by TiggerGirl View Post
    wow, I just read all of that before I realized the OP was a year old LOL I thought it was from Monday

Anyway - sounds like it's gotten better - but why don't they just make it easy and then everyone would use it?

It would be an awesome way to save $ and then pay it all out onto one GC that you use to buy tickets, pay for rooms etc and put the balance on a GC for while you're on property. Disney would then have your $ to play with while you saved it and then they'd know they're going to bring in $X each week in GC sales as well

Seems like it's a win win for Disney
    I know, right? I think when they first started it, like so often with new things at Disney, they didn't thoroughly work out the kinks. So they didn't heavily advertise it, beyond the initial email blast.

From reading on the fine print on the site after my post I did see where it's extended to 2017 (it was originally 2015)

Right now the limit of $500 is preventing me from using it again. I got nearly $400 paid out towards our trip last summer. If I'm limited to just $100 over and above it's really not worthwhile to use now.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    It seems like DVA has ironed out some of its wrinkles.

You can pay DVC dues from your DVA now, and every $1,000 spent will earn you a $20 Disney Gift Card*. You just have to call Member Services and tell them you want to pay your dues using a Gift Card; don't mention DVA, since they probably won't know what you're talking about. Cast Member roulette, you know.

Here's the DIS thread. Once in a while they're good for something!

*After 120 days of the account being open. Since many of us here got accounts last January, we're covered. But new Account members are reporting that they signed up and six months later got their GCs.
    Thanks George! I will do this for my DVC dues for sure. I had tried last year and it didn't work for sure... so it is nice to see them improving it.

Now I am wondering if I can may off my room balance at the resort with this too... or if they actually need a real "card" to scan not just this number. Maybe I will try it in a few days when we check out of OKW.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR

Quote Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post
    Thanks George! I will do this for my DVC dues for sure. I had tried last year and it didn't work for sure... so it is nice to see them improving it.

Now I am wondering if I can may off my room balance at the resort with this too... or if they actually need a real "card" to scan not just this number. Maybe I will try it in a few days when we check out of OKW.
    Some on the DIS say it's worked at the front desk, others say it hasn't. Let me know if you have any luck.

Stupid Judy.

Some on the DIS say it's worked at the front desk, others say it hasn't. Let me know if you have any luck.
    Will do.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR

My bet, it works provided you can find a CM who knows how to run it with just a number, not a card that has to be scanned.

Really, how hard it is to send out an email blast to every Resort manager to put instructions on how to process one of these payments at each computer?

Quote Originally Posted by AngiTN View Post
    My bet, it works provided you can find a CM who knows how to run it with just a number, not a card that has to be scanned.

Really, how hard it is to send out an email blast to every Resort manager to put instructions on how to process one of these payments at each computer?
    Automatron Cast Members (including Managers, frequently), with ill-fitting costumes.

Totally agree about finding that CM who knows how to enter numbers.

This Account will also be nice to use at disneystore.com, since they only let you use one GC at checkout. Apparently it's not functional there yet, but I'm assuming that ability is coming soon.

Stupid Judy.

Well I tried at Old Key West tonight and it didn't work. I got a CM that was willing to enter a gift card manually, she tried the numbers but the system said it wasn't valid. She even asked what type of payment to manually enter it as, so there are obviously a list of choices. Then her and her manager spent 10 minutes on the phone with the "vacation account people" and they said the account was only for pre-paying (like packages).

So, no luck for me... but as was said above it may depend on the CM. I may try again tomorrow night, but I am not sure if I will have time.

Wouldn't surprise me if they are working on it, and just haven't done that one yet (since the DVC dues now works, and didn't before).
    Micah

MousePerks

Thanks for the update. Maybe I can get the DISer to spill the beans about how s/he had it done.

Seems to me that since payment for a room-only booking is required at check-in, perhaps it's possible to pay the balance as a further deposit before leaving home. But that wouldn't help with paying for incidentals while on the trip, unless you request a GC refund from DVA a couple weeks before leaving home. At least then you'd only have one GC to have to present to the Automatron at the front desk.

Stupid Judy.

Thanks for the update. Maybe I can get the DISer to spill the beans about how s/he had it done.

Seems to me that since payment for a room-only booking is required at check-in, perhaps it's possible to pay the balance as a further deposit before leaving home. But that wouldn't help with paying for incidentals while on the trip, unless you request a GC refund from DVA a couple weeks before leaving home. At least then you'd only have one GC to have to present to the Automatron at the front desk.
    That's how I used it. I paid off the room about 6 weeks before so I knew the balance I'd have to be sent on a gift card.

Thanks again George for posting that the Disney Vacation Account now works for DVC Dues. I loaded my account up with enough gift cards over the weekend, and paid my Dues today, with no issue. Worked great.
    Micah

MousePerks

I just received an email about some changes to the DVA User Agreement:

1. Paragraph 18 is changing. Here is the new Paragraph 18:

Disney may impose an automatic seven (7) business day hold on each payment you make to your Account so that the payment may not be used for a purchase or refunded for a period of seven (7) business days after the payment is made to your Account. Disney may further delay the use or refund of any amount which is not received in the Program Bank Account from the financial intermediary.

Here is the old Paragraph 18:

A refund of an amount which has not yet been received in the Program Bank Account from the financial intermediary may be delayed until it is received.

2. A sentence in Paragraph 2 regarding Disney Gift Cards is changing. The change is shown below:

When your Account has been open for 60* days or more, you can also use the value in your Account to purchase Disney Gift Cards by calling (407) 939-7734.

*Previously 120.

I presume the $500 lifetime GF limit still holds? I'll call them later to clarify.

Stupid Judy.

Just to update... I used my DVA last night to buy my APs. I also used it today to pay off my room only reservation. No problems at all. :)
    ~Vicki~

I presume the $500 lifetime GF limit still holds? I'll call them later to clarify.
    This is the part I'm watching to change too. I've already gotten a card of over $300. If they don't raise the lifetime GF limit the account doesn't do me much good, in regards to a bonus. Still useful to combine gift cards but not sure it's even worth the effort for that. I don't understand the limit as it is.