Thread: "I'm Celebrating", how late is too late?

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i love josh. Janine's Avatar

"I'm Celebrating", how late is too late?

I always thought that it would be nice if we could have a birthday trip to Disney, for my daughter. Her birthday is March 19, and there's no way I'm going to Disney during spring break, if I can avoid it. We usually go in May.

Turns out that due to scheduling conflicts, we're going earlier than usual in 2014. We'll be there April 5-12. It occurred to me last night that maybe we could make this an "I'm Celebrating" birthday trip.

I know there is no "rule", but how long after (or before) a birthday, do you think is acceptable to still say its your birthday at Disney?

I'd be pushing it, huh?
    Janine

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    I'd be pushing it, huh?
    Not at all.

You are celebrating her birthday at that time. It's the closest you can get the trip to her birthday, so it's a birthday trip.

You are not saying "it's her birthday today"... you are saying "we are celebrating her birthday right now". It's as if the trip is a gift for her birthday - it does not have to be ON her birthday.

To me, "pushing it" would be going to a different TS place every day of a 10-day vacation, smiling, and saying "Today's my birthday!!" so you can get a free dessert. What you are doing seems fine to me.
    Kami
    - Mom to the world's biggest <"/ & c"| and fans

does anybody know how to change this? pfalcioni's Avatar
    My Christmas and Birthday gift are a nice dinner and whatever souvenirs I want during our January/February vacation. We always pick a single day at the parks that I'll celebrate, then I wear the button and have a great time. It is my birthday celebration - just like it'll be your daughter's.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    I start at four months before and go to eight months after. If anyone asks, I just say this is the only time I could get away.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

waiting for a street car
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I start at four months before and go to eight months after. If anyone asks, I just say this is the only time I could get away.
    My boyfriend asked me why I was laughing. :-)

We had the same dilemma with DS birthday. Both myself and my DD have had our actual bdays there. His unfortunately is March 16. I told him we would never go during Spring Break madness. He was pretty upset. Then as we neared closer to our Sept trip I realized we would be there on his 1/2 birthday. So, he "celebrated" his birthday that day. It ended up being the day of our BoG ADR (which is where we were for DD birthday). So on his own he ended up telling our server that it was his official 6 1/2 year old birthday today. I was a little embarrassed, I didn't want to be one of those people, but our server was amazing! She really did it up great for him with grey stuff, a candle and even a card signed by Belle and Beast. So I say celebrate and have fun!!

One thing I will add is that DS wore his button for part of that day, but ended up taking it off. So many people were wishing him happy birthday and I think he didn't like the fact that it wasn't really his birthday - like he was lying or something. I tried to tell him it was okay since we were celebrating that day for his 1/2 birthday, but I think he just felt odd. Not sure how old you DD is and if that would be an issue.

tests unsafe roller coasts in china blyday's Avatar
    I agree that you really are fine. It really is the time you are celebrating. Let's be honest, we all do that just for regular birthday celebrations from time to time. For example, my b-day is coming up here on the 7th. DH will be working until 11:30 PM so celebrating on that day is just out of the question. So, I have extended an invitation to my friends to meet up with us at a restaurant on Saturday the 11th to celebrate my birthday. That is the day that we can do it...and that is okay. Sometimes, life just makes it so that you can't do it on the exact day for whatever reason. So....go letting your DD know that you are going to celebrate her birthday at Disney World. People do this all of the time and the CMs are great about. (In fact, during our late January trip in 2010, I celebrated the entire 2 weeks of our WDW/DCL trip because it was my b-day trip, it just didn't work for the other members of our party to go earlier in the month.)
    Brenda

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i love josh. Janine's Avatar
    Thanks for the validation. I'll consider this an "I'm Celebrating" trip for DD(to be)8.
    I'll let her decide which day is the official "celebrating" day.

She's not one who will shy away from the attention, even though its not her "real" birthday.
    Janine

Merida
    We were there April '12 for my DD's actual 8th Birthday and she wore her birthday pin the entire week, even on the days when it wasn't still actually her birthday.

We celebrated the whole week and she loved all the birthday wishes and she received no special attention at our one and only TS meal, even though I specially ordered a dessert as a surprise- the server even forgot to bring it to our table even after I checked at the podium that it was there. There was lots of miscommunication and an over-worked and tired cm that day so if I had been hoping for extra pixie dust that day, it wouldn't have happened anyway. The way I see it, since nothing is guaranteed, there's no harm in making it a 'birthday week' either, instead of just a 'birthday day' if you or your daughter is going to end up feeling a bit disappointed that nothing special happened on the day she picks. Birthday wishes are free and it's my daughter's most favorite memory.

We're going back this year Feb 22-March 2 and we'll be celebrating DS4's and DS2's 5th & 3rd birthdays that are March 6th & 24th. I have their celebration added to our main character meal already, but I know not to expect anything. I then won't care if they both want to wear their buttons for the week if it makes them feel special and happy :)

One week away should be fine,
    Most of the time, ppl will celebrate their birthday several days ahead/after so they make it on the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by whatchadoon View Post
    To me, "pushing it" would be going to a different TS place every day of a 10-day vacation, smiling, and saying "Today's my birthday!!" so you can get a free dessert. What you are doing seems fine to me.
    LOL.... on my previous trip, DW bday was a day before the trip. I asked for a button for her anyway. She had a FREE cup cake with candle almost every TS until she did not wear the button on. We were on DDP anyway... so the cupcake was like wasted after the 2nd TS.

And this year, my bday was actually smack right in the middle of the trip. I did not even bother to get a button, so no FREE cupcake with candle for me. We were also on DDP so extra dessert sure go to waste again if I had one.

In any case I felt that Disney already gave me a bday present by suddenly popping up the ADR for 'Ohanas on that day and at the time that I wanted to go. What are the odds (please don't tell me and spoil it).

Quote Originally Posted by wongck View Post
    LOL.... on my previous trip, DW bday was a day before the trip. I asked for a button for her anyway. She had a FREE cup cake with candle almost every TS until she did not wear the button on. We were on DDP anyway... so the cupcake was like wasted after the 2nd TS.
    I don't count that as pushing it. Pushing it is actively saying each day that it's your birthday with the intent of getting something free. If you just wear the button, then it's up to the CM to see it/choose not to see it, and then give/not give you something. CMs MUST be aware that people don't just wear the button on the actual day - and if they want to spread magic, they will... so that's fine.
    Kami
    - Mom to the world's biggest <"/ & c"| and fans

tests unsafe roller coasts in china blyday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whatchadoon View Post
    I don't count that as pushing it. Pushing it is actively saying each day that it's your birthday with the intent of getting something free. If you just wear the button, then it's up to the CM to see it/choose not to see it, and then give/not give you something. CMs MUST be aware that people don't just wear the button on the actual day - and if they want to spread magic, they will... so that's fine.
    CMs definitely know this. I was asked by a CM once what day my b-day was. I told her and explained that we just couldn't come earlier in the month so were celebrating now. She told me that she totally understood that and that really, compared to others, my b-day was really close. She even mentioned that it sometimes bugged her when she'd ask and the person would say that it was like 4 months ago or something like that. But a couple of weeks....that was totally understandable.
    Brenda

I think of it like this: when you have a birthday party for your kid (or yourself) how often is that party on the actual birthday? For us it's not very often. My DD's birthday is 10/31 so we never have the party on her birthday (wouldn't want anyone to miss trick or treating!) it's always a weekend before or after (sometimes 2). So celebrating in Disney is just like having the party early (or late!) as far as I'm concerned.
    We were in WDW Oct 21-26 and DD wore her Birthday pin all week. She was turning 6, and thought it was amazing that everyone "knew" she was having a birthday.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    I heard that they only have a limited number of cupcakes they can give to birthday people, so when you fib about your birthday you're taking the magic away from someone and ruining their actual birthday.

Oh wait - I meant to post that at DIS.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Yep, I'd stick with saying you are celebrating that day rather than say it's her actual Birthday (if the question even comes up). I can't imagine anyone at WDW thinking anything of it, and she'll get lots of Birthday wishes for her special day.

does anybody know how to change this? pfalcioni's Avatar
    I heard that they only have a limited number of cupcakes they can give to birthday people, so when you fib about your birthday you're taking the magic away from someone and ruining their actual birthday.

Oh wait - I meant to post that at DIS.
    Hahaha!!! I also hear they make pool hoppers walk the plank at Stormalong Bay.