Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scotland must sees

between the nation's capital and Charm City
    Ann, we need the Outlandish Companion. It's supposed to give most of the pronunciations, at least for the more difficult people and place names. I wonder if it has the pronunciation of Fraser. I just looked at a map of Scotland again to see where Lockerbie is.

http://www.amazon.com/Outlandish-Com...dish+companion
    Becca

Mastering the art of creative avoidance

wears a coca-cola shirt to club cool just in case vatmark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pampered Mom View Post
    Ann, we need the Outlandish Companion. It's supposed to give most of the pronunciations, at least for the more difficult people and place names. I wonder if it has the pronunciation of Fraser. I just looked at a map of Scotland again to see where Lockerbie is.

http://www.amazon.com/Outlandish-Com...dish+companion
    Holy cow! I think I have this book. I got it one Christmas but I don't think I looked through the whole book. I will have to check to see what words are in there. I will look for Fraser.

Ann

Fraser is definitely pronounced 'Fray-ser'. It's quite a common name in Scotland.
    November 2009 Disneyland Paris - Dream Castle, DH, DD(17 months) and I
    November 2010 Disneyland Paris - Dream Castle, DH, DD(2 1/2) and I
    November 2012 Disneyland Paris - Disney's New York Hotel DH, DD (4 1/2) and DS (19 months) and I
    October 2014 Walt Disney World - Wilderness Lodge for 14 nights - yay!

When we went a couple of years ago (pre-kids) we really enjoyed spending a night in Stirling. Stirling Castle and the William Wallace monument are there. In Inverness, the Culloden Battlefield was beautiful and one of those places you could just feel the history.
    Also just wanted to add that if you haven't made it through the Outlander books the Starz network is currently making the book into an original series...it is supposed to come out this next year. It looks pretty good...although the Jamie character is not quite what I had pictured.

between the nation's capital and Charm City
    As well as the show in the spring, the next installment in the book series is coming out next year as well. We will be welcoming a lot of people late to the Outlander party.
    Becca

Mastering the art of creative avoidance

Merida
    Quote Originally Posted by Pampered Mom View Post
    As well as the show in the spring, the next installment in the book series is coming out next year as well. We will be welcoming a lot of people late to the Outlander party.
    I just looked it up on IMDB. Cool, the actress who is playing Claire has the same name as my daughter's middle name, Caitriona. Hopefully the series is a huge hit and people around here will say, "oh, so you didn't give your daughter a crazy made-up and uniquely spelled middle name then, huh?"

wears a coca-cola shirt to club cool just in case vatmark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kcrandall View Post
    When we went a couple of years ago (pre-kids) we really enjoyed spending a night in Stirling. Stirling Castle and the William Wallace monument are there. In Inverness, the Culloden Battlefield was beautiful and one of those places you could just feel the history.
    Also just wanted to add that if you haven't made it through the Outlander books the Starz network is currently making the book into an original series...it is supposed to come out this next year. It looks pretty good...although the Jamie character is not quite what I had pictured.
    Say what? I didn't know they were making a series???? I will have to see if we have Starz network if not we will be getting it.

Ann

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Paris Princess View Post
    Hi there. I was born and brought up in Fife, just north of the Forth Bridges. What are you really interested in? History, nature, shopping? You may have already 'done it' but Dunfermline is quite nice history wise. The Abbey contains remains of Robert the Bruce and there is Andrew Carnegie's birth place. The fishing villages up the East Neuk of Fife are also quaint and very pretty. We live in Glasgow and there are a lot of free museums and galleries. The shops up Buchannan Street in the centre of the city are nice as well.
    Edinburgh Zoo is pretty good. They have been doing a breeding program with Pandas there. You have to book a time in advance to see the Pandas through their website though.
    What about Rosslyn Chapel, which is outside Edinburgh? It is the one shown in the Da Vinci Code film. Even if you haven't see the film it is still a very interesting place to visit although I was surprised how small it was inside.
    May is a good time to visit as we quite often get our best weather around that time.
    Let me know if you need any specific info.
    Thanks for the offer. When we visited last year, we saw Loch Ness, Edinburgh Castle, Stirling Castle, Wallace Monument, St. Andrews Castle, St. Andrews Cathedral, Huntington Tower Castle, Lochleven Castle & Urquhart Castle. I swear there is another one that we visited that was my absolute favorite because they have folks in rooms telling stories. I absolutely love the history and the beauty (nature) of traveling. If you would've told me that as a kid, I would've laughed. The Tomatin Distillery tour was fun because we were the only 2 people and my husband was able to ask loads of questions and it felt so personal. I'm up for anything but need to keep in mind that I'm going with my MIL and she isn't as active. She's loads of fun though.

I do think I would like to visit Rosslyn Chapel because I read the book and loved it. Oh yeah, a highlight of ours was when we were stopped on a road and helped put a lamb back in it's pasture. Another fond memory was meeting some of the cousin's friends, especially Beatrice, who told stories about the war. You just can't read that stuff in a text book.

Merida
    Quote Originally Posted by goofyfan6698 View Post
    Ta highlight of ours was when we were stopped on a road and helped put a lamb back in it's pasture.
    One of the highlights of my time in Scotland was when there was a sheep just lying around in the middle of the road on the Isle of Harris and when we stopped (we were headed back to the ferry) another sheep came up to help nudge the sheep to the side of the road so that we could get through. I don't know if he was helping us or the other sheep LOL. Sheep are now my most favorite animal, even though American sheep are just not the same. Scottish sheep are the best!! We were never in a huge hurry to ever be bothered by the sheep causing traffic jams :)

does anybody know how to change this? pfalcioni's Avatar
    Sheep jams sounds much more entertaining than cow jams. We get stopped by cow jams all the time on our back roads around here.

That's funny! When we were leaving Waterton Lakes headed to Glacier, we had to stop several times for the cows to cross the road. My DS7 thought that was the best thing. I had to laugh because my Grandpa(90) still has cows and DS sees them when he goes up. I suppose they aren't crossing the road so it's not the same thing in his eyes. Gotta love it!