Thread: "Rough" rides?

"Rough" rides?

We are taking our two nephews, age 13 and 15, to WDW in less than 4 weeks! First time for them. They've only done a few amusement parks, and I don't think they are too adventurous. But they don't want to just ride "baby rides" either. Even last summer, one of them got a little car sick in the car, but I don't know how he is now. We don't want to get him sick on the first ride the first day - it would ruin the week for everyone. We told them today about the trip and showed one of the DVD's. I urged them to go on youtube and look at the rides to see what they're like, but I strongly doubt they'll bother with this. (too much like research!) We also told them to pick out a few rides they'd like to do, but my DH doubts they'll do this either.

I think we'll skip the spinning rides (Mad Tea Party, Astro Orbiter, Primeval Whirl, Triceratop Spin). I assume the other rides in Fantasyland are pretty tame? We've done something similar to Kali Rapids in another park and they were fine with that.

We thought we would start them on some easier rides and work up from there. Do you think Splash Mountain would be a good first ride to "test the waters"? (Yes I realize these are all in different parks.)
    How about Buzz Lightyear and Toy Story Mania - do they spin and make people dizzy?
    I think Soarin will be ok.
    How about Kilimanjaro Safari - do you have to look down to see the animals? How rough is the ride?
    Also, how would you rank these rides in increasing roughness/nausea-induction?:
    Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Mission Space (tame side), Test Track, Tower of Tower, Star Tours,
    Dinosaur? Which would you recommend we try next if they survive Splash Mountain?

I doubt we'll do Expedition Everest or Aerosmith R&R Coaster. Even I don't like the look of those!

Unfortunately, once they get sick, they'll probably be out of it for at least 30 minutes, if not longer. And then it's too late! Plus, it might freak them out for other rides.

Any tricks in case they start feeling a little ill? Any ways to try to help them avoid feeling ill?

Thanks everyone.

Hi Lalagirl,

My daughter gets carsick frequently, especially on trips over an hour. I give her Bonine, an over-the-counter antinausea medication. It's a non-drowsy formula, and seems to do the trick. I have also heard that ginger tablets or ginger gum help with nausea. I agree with you about avoiding the 'Spinny" rides, but you'll be fine with the others. I would give them the Bonine in the AM as you leave your hotel prior to rope drop.

HTH!

Karen

Unless there's more to what you described above - like their mother is super concerned about this or something - or you know that they are really fearful, I think you're probably worrying too much. Even my wimpy DS has been riding lots of bigger Disney rides since he was very young.

Splash Mountain is a nice gentle ride, but it has a BIG drop at the end. Some people are really bothered by that, most aren't.

Dinosaur is exceptionally rough, IMO, but it is fun.

I think I would give them the Bonine or Dramamine if you think it's necessary and let them pick what they want to do - at 13 and 15, I don't think it's so important to start small and build up like it is with a much younger child.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    It's an amusement park, for goodness sake, how much planning could you need?

I get sick on things. Here is what I won't do:
    Primeval Whirl, Mad Tea Party, Astro Orbiter

I sit in the front car of Expedition Everest, Rock'n'Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith, Space Mountain, and have no issues at all. Just tell the loading Cm you need the front seat. I only ride them once -- never twice in a row. The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ I also do once.
    Big Thunder Mountain I sit in the front half.
    Toy Story Mania is fine. The spin is rough if you are already green from Rock'n'Roller Coaster, but on it's own, it's a non issue. Buzz isn't even near the list!

Mission: SPACE non spinning is a piece of cake, so is Sum. Test track is a non issue. I haven't done the new Star Tours yet. But, the old one was a non issue.

As far as 'rough' -- Space Mountain is the roughest of all wdw rides, I think. DINOSAUR is bumpy. Big difference between front and back seats. I sit in the front. Not because the back makes me sick, but because the front isn't as rough. Kilimanjaro Safari is a bumpy ride. I don't know what you mean look down to see the animals. Its in a real truck outside on a real dirt road. The animals are around you on the savannas.

I think a lot of this is mental--- so I would for sure be nonchalant with the kid about it. If they want to do it, do it! I'm not big on adults putting the kabosh on kids. And at 13 and 15--- well, these kids should know what they want to do. They aren't 3 - 5! There will be tons of 3 -5 year olds riding a lot of these ride you mention!

wears a coca-cola shirt to club cool just in case vatmark's Avatar
    My son gets car sick. Has since he was a baby. I get car sick as well. Me and DS take Bonine or less Drowsy Dramamine in the morning beforethe parks this way we don't have to worry about anything making us sick.

Ann

owes it all to duffy
    The only rides that come to mind have been mentioned - Dinosaur, Space Mountain and Mission Space (Orange is rough, green is okay).
    Jill

12/1998 - Offsite
    4/2003 - CSR (convention)
    2/2010 - CBR
    5/2011 - CSR - trip report, trip report part 2
    10/2011 - Grand Floridian - trip report
    4/2014 - POR - trip report
    12/2015 - Grand Floridian
    1/2016 - Universal Studios - Portofino Bay trip report
    3/2016 - CSR

I think BTMRR is the roughest in all the parks. I always end up smashing my DS on the curves. It's also the only one that I cannot ride twice in a row without feeling really sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunnychile View Post
    Hi Lalagirl,

My daughter gets carsick frequently, especially on trips over an hour. I give her Bonine, an over-the-counter antinausea medication. It's a non-drowsy formula, and seems to do the trick. I have also heard that ginger tablets or ginger gum help with nausea. I agree with you about avoiding the 'Spinny" rides, but you'll be fine with the others. I would give them the Bonine in the AM as you leave your hotel prior to rope drop.

Karen - what dose of Bonine do you use? Maybe I should give a dose to the boys before we leave, so we'll have an idea how it will affect them?

HTH!

Karen

Thanks everyone for the leads. Maybe I'll give them some Bonine before we travel to see how it affects them. If it makes them drowsy, there's no way I can carry them!

As someone who gets car sick (and have my entire life), often times having constant air movement and being able to see where I'm going help. I tend to sit in the front seat of the car with the air blowing on me, and I've honestly not had a problem at Disney, except for the one time we rode Star Tours and the air was broken. That was bad - DH actually got physically sick after we got off of it. I'd be careful with the Dramamine and bonine - they actually bothered me more on our cruise than the motion of the ship did (they made the woozy feeling go straight to my head, which wasn't fun).

I agree with others - I probably wouldn't restrict what they can and can't ride for fear of motion sickness. The rides across the board are relatively tame - your average carnival has far more rides guaranteed to induce vomiting than Disney does.
    Lisa

tests unsafe roller coasts in china blyday's Avatar
    My personal take is to take the Bonine with you. Let the boys try whatever they want to on the first day....if they start to get some motion sickness....then try the Bonine....otherwise....simply enjoy the trip. If you aren't a fan of drugs....then just go with the Ginger pills. Have them take one a couple of times a day and have them start taking them a few days before the trip so that it is in the system already.

I actually like to take it at night (it is a 24 hour pill). By the time I wake in the morning, I'm good to go and have never had any effects from it (and I can get pretty dopey on meds!!!!) I used it on the cruise and decided to try it this past trip at the parks. I don't really get overly motion sick but can get a little.....I didn't even have a glimmer or motion sickness this trip....not even on the tea cups....so I will be taking that with me from now on!!!! Oh and it even helped a TON on the flight!!!!!
    Brenda

Are ginger pills available in any drug store? Do I need to go to a health food store? Is there a particular dosage? I was thinking of carrying some ginger ale with us.
    Actually we took the boys on a cruise last year and were worried about seasickness. We took all kinds of potions and wrist bands with us, but decided to just get to the ship early and let them acclimate without any medication. They were too busy having fun to notice the ship rocking, with one exception. One night at dinner, the youngest one's legs were swinging under the table because it was a little rough. He asked my husband why his legs were rocking, and my DH told him "That's what they mean by sea legs!" It worked, because he ordered two more desserts!

I am not particularly prone to motion sickness, but last year I had an awful experience with mission space green. I had ridden it before, bit this time I felt really closed in (claustrophobic) and the nausea kicked in as well. I will never ride it again. I would always take a "wind in your face ride" like btmrr over a closed in small space. That is something you may want to discuss with them before trying mission space, even green. And, after that experience, I learned to bring some meds with me to Disney! Have a wonderful time! I am bringing my 13 year old niece with me in august, and can't wait!

tests unsafe roller coasts in china blyday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lalagirl View Post
    Are ginger pills available in any drug store? Do I need to go to a health food store? Is there a particular dosage? I was thinking of carrying some ginger ale with us.
    Actually we took the boys on a cruise last year and were worried about seasickness. We took all kinds of potions and wrist bands with us, but decided to just get to the ship early and let them acclimate without any medication. They were too busy having fun to notice the ship rocking, with one exception. One night at dinner, the youngest one's legs were swinging under the table because it was a little rough. He asked my husband why his legs were rocking, and my DH told him "That's what they mean by sea legs!" It worked, because he ordered two more desserts!
    Yes....at any drug store and ginger ale works just as well. Also....if they could handle a cruise without any sickness.....they'll be fine!!! I actually had to take meds on the cruise and I only have very minor motion sickness issues.
    Brenda

Quote Originally Posted by Adrienne View Post
    I am not particularly prone to motion sickness, but last year I had an awful experience with mission space green. I had ridden it before, bit this time I felt really closed in (claustrophobic) and the nausea kicked in as well. I will never ride it again. I would always take a "wind in your face ride" like btmrr over a closed in small space. That is something you may want to discuss with them before trying mission space, even green. And, after that experience, I learned to bring some meds with me to Disney! Have a wonderful time! I am bringing my 13 year old niece with me in august, and can't wait!
    Adrienne - when are you going in August? We'll be there 8/19 for 9 days. Linda

We will be at universal aug 23 to 26, then at Disney aug 26 to sept 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrienne View Post
    We will be at universal aug 23 to 26, then at Disney aug 26 to sept 3.
    I think we'll probably just miss you. Have a great week! Linda