Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Meals at "home"

I used boneless skinless thighs, so there was probably a lot more fat and moisture in them than with breasts. I think I used about 3 pounds of chicken and doubled or tripled the sauce recipe. I cooked mine on low for 10 hours or so.

I bought ingredients for a couple more of the recipes this evening.

Never did any follow up after our recent OKW stay, but I meant to.

Eight nights, 3 ADRs, 5 full dinners and breakfast every day in the villa. All in all, we spent less than 2 hours in prep (not including cooking) for all of the meals plus another 10 minutes/meal in clean-up. Understand that this wasn't just *me* working, but also DH and DS10. It's vacation for mama, too.

1. Chicken pot pie. Frozen plus refrigerated pie crusts, rotisserie chicken, a can of cream of chicken soup, a half can of chicken broth, bag of frozen veggies. Used one frozen pie crust for bottom, one refrigerated pie crust for top. Used the other two crusts for quiches. 70 minutes in the oven.
    2. No peek chicken. Wild rice mix, cream of mushroom and cream of celery soups, chicken breasts, package of onion soup mix. 2 hours in the oven.
    3. Shepherd's pie. Ground beef, brown gravy packet, frozen veggies, pre-made mashed potatoes. Brown ground beef, mix in gravy, top with veggies and potatoes. Bake 30 minutes.
    4. Meatloaf. Brought all the dry ingredients to mix in, add milk and ground beef, bake 1 hour.
    5. Frozen stuffed chicken breasts from the freezer section of the grocery store. Bake 45 minutes.

Quiche was made with some chopped tomatoes, fresh parsley and scallions. Found some really awesome vacation perfect bacon: RefrigMW%u002520Bacon0608_Web.jpg
    This stuff is AWESOME! It comes pre-packed in four slice packages, with paper towels already in the package--you just throw the plastic package in the microwave and cook for 2.5 minutes. Wouldn't buy it for everyday use, but it's perfect for vacation. Quick, easy and--very important--mess free!

Family of 3, all the above mentioned meals, plus beer, wine and dessert was about $250 in groceries. Compare that to our $120 + tax and gratuity for our Chef Mickey's dinner. . .

mk

Will work for Dole Whips. Brandie's Avatar
    mk, thanks for sharing! I love the price savings. Is that how you usually eat on your Disney vacation?

Quote Originally Posted by daleNchip View Post
    Never did any follow up after our recent OKW stay, but I meant to.

Eight nights, 3 ADRs, 5 full dinners and breakfast every day in the villa. All in all, we spent less than 2 hours in prep (not including cooking) for all of the meals plus another 10 minutes/meal in clean-up. Understand that this wasn't just *me* working, but also DH and DS10. It's vacation for mama, too.

1. Chicken pot pie. Frozen plus refrigerated pie crusts, rotisserie chicken, a can of cream of chicken soup, a half can of chicken broth, bag of frozen veggies. Used one frozen pie crust for bottom, one refrigerated pie crust for top. Used the other two crusts for quiches. 70 minutes in the oven.
    2. No peek chicken. Wild rice mix, cream of mushroom and cream of celery soups, chicken breasts, package of onion soup mix. 2 hours in the oven.
    3. Shepherd's pie. Ground beef, brown gravy packet, frozen veggies, pre-made mashed potatoes. Brown ground beef, mix in gravy, top with veggies and potatoes. Bake 30 minutes.
    4. Meatloaf. Brought all the dry ingredients to mix in, add milk and ground beef, bake 1 hour.
    5. Frozen stuffed chicken breasts from the freezer section of the grocery store. Bake 45 minutes.

Quiche was made with some chopped tomatoes, fresh parsley and scallions. Found some really awesome vacation perfect bacon: RefrigMW%u002520Bacon0608_Web.jpg
    This stuff is AWESOME! It comes pre-packed in four slice packages, with paper towels already in the package--you just throw the plastic package in the microwave and cook for 2.5 minutes. Wouldn't buy it for everyday use, but it's perfect for vacation. Quick, easy and--very important--mess free!

Family of 3, all the above mentioned meals, plus beer, wine and dessert was about $250 in groceries. Compare that to our $120 + tax and gratuity for our Chef Mickey's dinner. . .

mk
    That is great! And you probably actually saved time too over waiting to eat or transportation to eat. I really need to convince myself that this is the way to go. Did you eat CS lunches in the park every day or did you have lunch in your room too?
    Lori

WDW: 72, May 93, June 98, June 01, Aug 01, July 02, Oct 02, June 03, July 04, June 05, July 06, Sept 06, Dec 06, July 07, July 09, July 10. Coming soon: Dec 11, May 12

DL: 97, 00

Quote Originally Posted by Brandie View Post
    mk, thanks for sharing! I love the price savings. Is that how you usually eat on your Disney vacation?
    It hasn't always been. But we both used to have really nice jobs and now there's only one paying job. At first, it was all about saving money. But now it's really more about having a relaxing vacation while also saving money. I love putting dinner in the oven, putting the oven on a timer (all hail the person who created this feature!!), going for a swim or a nap, and waking up to the smell of dinner almost done. Love not having to be anywhere at a particular time. Want to swim a little longer? OK, I'll just leave the oven on warm and we'll eat when we get hungry.

Lori, lunch was CS in the parks. We are always hungry by 11 or so at WDW (all that walking? maybe we are just conditioned to eating. ) so we never want to wait to get back to the room to eat.

The key is planning ahead, IMO. I knew what we were going to have and I knew what I needed to buy and what I needed to bring. I picked meals that are light on preparation and used similar ingredients--no buying a bottle of soy sauce for 2 tablespoons, etc. The big thing for me was making sure my grocery list was complete. Making a grocery run for a forgotten item is such a pain in the butt on vacation!

mk

Thanks for all the info! Sounds great. I never even thought about putting something on with a timer to cook while swimming. Genius!
    Lori

WDW: 72, May 93, June 98, June 01, Aug 01, July 02, Oct 02, June 03, July 04, June 05, July 06, Sept 06, Dec 06, July 07, July 09, July 10. Coming soon: Dec 11, May 12

not at the rainy spot
    I am working on a list for things to cook while in Disney in 2 weeks. I'm not sure we will do Dinner in the villa but all breakfast and most lunches will be. I have $800 budget for food for the week (in and out of parks) I'd love to cut that by 1/2. Here are some things I have listed:
    Lunch in room ideas:
    Grilled Cheese and Chips
    Totino Pizzas
    Raviolis
    Sandwhiches
    Frozen hamburger type things (our walmart has these)
    Chicken Nuggets
    Rotisserie Chicken and sides from deli
    Philly Steak and Cheese Hoggie kit
    Fajita kit

Breakfast
    Bagels
    Cereal
    Biscuits sandwhiches with egg and bacon
    Oatmeal
    Yogurt
    Doughnuts
    Waffles
    Victoria

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    One of the things we'll be doing with dinners in the room is trying to make two meals out of one "cooking." For instance, sauteed chicken on day 1 provides chicken to reheat for burritos on day 3. Italian sausage with peppers and onions on day 2 provides extra cooked sausage to reheat with baked ziti on day 4, and as a topping for home made pizza (also using leftover sauce and mozz from the ziti) on day 5. That kind of thing.

For instance, looking at your list, the leftover Rotisserie Chicken could be used to make chicken salad sandwiches, or could be shredded and tossed with some other ingredients, olive oil and pasta. Or make some killer nachos with the leftover chicken and leftover cheese from your grilled cheese.

That should help cut costs as well as effort, since the second time around there's less cooking involved. We may also have a "breakfast for dinner" day toward the end of the trip to use up leftover eggs, pancake mix, etc. (Is it bad to admit that I have cereal for dinner about once a week at home?)
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

not at the rainy spot
    Well after look at my park touring plans, I think we will eat 5 Breakfast in the villa, 2 to 3 lunches, and 1 or 2 dinners. I think we will decide for sure while in the store. But knowing what are park hours look like that does help me know what times we will be in a park at dinner rather then in our room.
    DocK I should just come eat in your room Jambo is a short walk from Kidani!
    Victoria

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Just don't ask me to share the Crunch Berries.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    CHILI MAPLE GLAZED DUMP CHICKEN
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    1 packet chili seasoning
    Tried this one tonight, and DW and I were very impressed. The kids, less so.

I took some of the liquid from the crock pot, strained it, brought it to a boil on the stove, then thickened it with a corn starch/water mixture. Made a tasty glaze to pour over the chicken.

Yum! I have not yet tried any of them. Glad you are enjoying!
    Lori

I'm meal planning for our stay at WH. This is a great thread!

Recently I did Crock-Pot meals for the freezer. They have been delicious & a life-saver on busy days. We will be driving to FL so I plan on loading our large cooler full of foods for the week. Here are a couple things I'm taking. If it doesn't help for a Disney trip then maybe these links will help for real life at home. They certainly have been great for me!

Freezer Crock Pot Meals
    - these meals have pleased even my vegetable-shy child. The goulash & curry meals are particularly delicious!

Corn Dog Muffins These have been a big hit with my boys. They freeze very well.

Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole My boys like breakfast casserole for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I have yet to try the crock-pot method at home. If all goes well I hope to have this as a meal in our condo.

A great thread everyone!
    peace,
    Jenn

I've enjoyed the responses. I don't actually use them at DVC, but when we go skiing and stay in a condo. My husband remembered one that he wanted me to make for Super Bowl tomorrow.

Keep 'em coming!

what do we do when we're there?
    Thinking abount checking out my tastefully simple stash- I know they have a Cheddar soup( my own little LC).

http://www.tastefullysimple.com/tryo...rid=3399&src=s
    Southern Shredded Chicken-sound very good
    Last edited by Canwegosoon; 02-27-2012 at 07:55 PM.

We cook bacon and use it all vacation long with breakfast. We also make omelets, they are quick and satisfying before we head to the park! Another thing we make is overnight french toast casserole, this warms up in the microwave and makes for another quick breakfast. Also, egg sandwiches are great. We don't like wasting the morning looking for something to eat, so try to eat a good breakfast before we leave, then a light lunch and usually eat dinner out.

Quote Originally Posted by momtodsn View Post
    We cook bacon and use it all vacation long with breakfast.
    We love Costco precooked bacon (but not the ribbon-thin stuff they sell at Sams). We easily go through a package (~50 pieces for ~$13) or two per week, mostly for breakfasts.

what do we do when we're there?
    I also do Bacon/bagles sandwiches a lot in the micro/toster. Aldi's has bacon crumbles if you are making omlets that don't need refrig until they are opened. I love the pre cooked bacon packages beacuse you can usually fit 2-3 very easily in luggage, and bagles hold up too, 2-3 boxes of granola or ceral bars and then if I don't have a car and am staying on site I use the gift shop for a few snacks and soda bottles. A car really changes your whole accessability to snacks/meals.

Anyone have a good way to cook eggs in the micro?

Searl Proudbottoms World s Famous BBQ Tri Tip Sannies

Hello All

I have been a lurker for some time and enjoyed this tread so I thought I would share one of my favorite meals.
    Searl Proudbottoms World s Famous BBQ Tri Tip Sannies

ˇ I like using the Jack Daniel's EZ Marinader. “Steakhouseor mesquite flavor”. It comes in a zip lock bag that will hold up to a 3 poundtri tip.
    ˇ Marinade for two days
    ˇ Sear each side of the tri tip for about 3 or 4minutes.
    ˇ Wrap completely in foil and add a little of theMarinade to the meat.
    ˇ Cook for another 25 minutes with indirect heat and the lid down, about 400 degrees.
    ˇ Let sit for 5 minutes and cut then for sandwiches.
    ˇ I like using the small sour dough or Dutchcrunch rolls about the size of a fist.
    ˇ Add butter and light grill the rolls.

"Bon appétit"
    Searl

Hi Searl! Sounds nummy! Thanks for sharing! And . . .

Digging up a really old thread because I found out I can pack my frozen meals AT HOME and fly them TO VACATION!

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/trave...es-102615.html

What this means for our August vacation is I can pretty much cut my "on vacation" prep time for meals probably in half or better!

I'll make our meatloaf, pot pie, shepherd's pie, chimichangas, stuffed chicken breasts, pork tenderloin, and breakfast quiches here at home, freeze those bad boys, then package them up for the flight with some dry ice. Our grocery trip in Orlando will be mostly drinks and fresh vegetables, which should cut shopping time down.

BAM!

I am really geeked about this.

mk

expert on dietary needs and disney dining clanmcculloch's Avatar
    Thank you for digging this up. I was looking for it the other day and couldn't find it.

Wanted to report back that freezing ahead worked beautifully!

About a month before our trip, I also purchased a FoodSaver, so that helped package everything so I was less concerned about anything leaking in the luggage. I pre-assembled:
    * 2 quiche fillings
    * meatloaf
    * chicken pot pie
    * pre-packaged marinated pork loin
    * steaks to grill

Prep at home:
    * I mixed the quiche fillings at home and poured them into gallon-sized freezer bags, then froze them flat in the refrigerator. Freezing them flat made them easier to transport, but also made them quicker to thaw.
    * Mixed up the meatloaf and put it in a disposable aluminum pan. At home we use one of those fat-draining pans, so I poked holes in the bottom of one pan, then placed that one into a second pan--they come in 2 or 3 packs.
    * Mixed the pot pie ingredients and put them in an aluminum casserole pan. No crust--I added that at the villa.
    * FoodSaver sells some pleated bags that will contain large items, so that's what I put the pot pie and meatloaf in.

I froze everything solid about a week before, then the morning of our 7:30am flight, I pulled it all out of the freezer and placed it into a collapsible cooler. I then put that cooler in my rolling carry-on bag. I didn't want to risk the airline losing it or taking additional time in transport. By the time we got to the villa, things were starting to thaw, but were still at least partly frozen and certainly cold enough to be safe to eat. All told, duration from freezer at home to refrigerator on vacation was about 7.5 hours. All this with no dry ice, just big food items frozen solid.

Prep on vacation:
    * Poured the quiche fillings into frozen pie crusts and cooked them arrival night for reheating later in the week.
    * At meatloaf cooking time, balled up some aluminum foil to put between the pans. Worked great with almost zero clean-up!
    * Topped the chicken pot pie with crescent rolls from the refrigerated section and baked
    * All hail the oven with the auto start option! Loved putting food in before nap, then having the oven turn on and bake so I would wake up to dinner!

I fly a lot, so I expected security to pull my bag out. Since I expected it, I made the bag easy to access and didn't pack that bag with much of anything else. I put my DH and his bags first in security, then DS and his bags, then my bag and me. The TSA agents were impressed with the packaging, LOL, and had to swab everything for testing, but it was pretty painless.

What I would do differently next time:
    * Pack at least one fewer "big" meal and replace with something easier like chili or soup that we could make sandwiches with.

The one thing I would recommend is to pack a meat thermometer. You want to make sure that meatloaf or any other large chunk of meat gets cooked to a safe temperature.

mk

Nice grab; this username is going to be worth more than twitter.com/disney in 2020. Just cut me in like 10% DisneyMom's Avatar
    I just have to say, I love the idea for the meatloaf in two pans with foil in between to allow drainage.
    Starr

Feb/Mar 2010 - CSR
    Jan 2011 - CSR
    May 2012 - ASSp for Expedition Everest Challenge
    Aug 2013 - DLR Offsite
    March 2016 - POR

We have done spaghetti, garlic bread, chicken patties, Knorr pasta dishes, salad, cereal, donuts