Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Touring Plans Redux - "BluePrints"

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Regarding the peak wait times being listed, it certainly may not be useful to a seasoned WDW visitor who knows which rides will have a long wait time during the day, but for a newbie, I think it's useful. It will provide an indication that's it's a popular attraction, and that they should ride it in the morning.
    In that case, I think it probably needs verbiage like "typical peak wait time" with it, or prominently near the top of the list.

There will be a set of instructions to go along with them similar to what I said in this post, only hopefully more clear.

That map is beyond wonderful. In a previous life I was a cartographic technician, so I'm a sucker for a good map. Great use of color and cleanness of the lines.

It makes a confusing park very clear. The customizable tour plans are neat and the explanations make it work that much better.

Just personally I don't like the title BluePrint because in my rigid way of thinking a blueprint is a plan for the construction of a physical structure, but I'm weird

Ruth
    Fort Wilderness Cabin - Sept 1993
    Fort Wilderness Camping - Sept 1996
    Fort Wilderness Camping - Sept 1998
    Pop - Sept 2004
    Pop - Jan 2012

josh's date at akershus stevenmilz's Avatar
    I'm a bit behind on checking this out -- great work, especially with the Acrobat stuff. Acrobat can be a pain in the a** to work with sometimes. A couple of comments... (1) what about square brackets, e.g. "[11:00]" for the not-always-scheduled show times? (B) what about "ParkPlans" (no spaces) versus BluePrints?
    Steve
    Offsite (Jul 87, Nov 09, Feb 13) Disney Institute (Jun 97) CR (Aug 81, Aug 83, Aug 86, May 10) BLT (Dec 10, Sep 11) FW/VWL (Nov 10) Poly (Mar 11, May 11) BC/BCV (Dec 11, Mar 12, Jan 13) BWI/BWV (May 12, Dec 12, May 13, Sep 13, Mar 14, Sep 14) SSR (Oct 11) YC (Oct 12) Swan (Oct 13) WBC (Dec 13, May 14, Dec 14) Pop (Oct 14) POFQ (Jan 15, Mar 15, Sep 15, Oct 15, Jan 16, Sep 16, Nov 16, Mar 17, May 17) CBR (Dec 15) ASMo (Dec 16)

I like easyPlans, branding it a little more closely with easyWDW.

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. I'm very impressed & I think they will be brilliant.
    I really like the "easyPlans" name, it does keep your branding.
    Jill

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Looks great! A few questions, though:
    - Why is BatB "before 11 or after 6?" I'm assuming that's a mistake? I don't think it's usually offered before 11 or after 6.
    - Although the functionality is neat, since the verbose touring plan/rationale at the end isn't changed when you change the dropdowns, what is their purpose? That kind of dynamic changing is probably beyond the scope of a .pdf though.
    - Instead of 70 +- 20, why not just make it 50-90?

Can't wait for 3.0 though...
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

I guess I can take a page out of the McDonalds playbook. I'll put it under consideration.

It's 70 +/- 20 because 70 minutes is what you can expect from a crowd level 5, or the average peak wait time. The yellow on shows indicates you want to visit the first or last show. There will be a blank map offered without the touring plan numbers written in so you can write in your own order and change the order if you so choose. The dropdown menus also make it easier for me to change the order when I'm making them so I don't have type or copy paste every attraction. They are a to set up though.

How about listing the typical peak wait times for crowd levels 3, 6 and 9? For instance, maybe 30/60/100 or 5/15/30 or whatever it might be? I think that might be a little more useful than a range (50-90) or a single level with variance (70 +/- 20).

FWIW, I chose 3, 6 and 9 intentionally. 1 and 2 aren't really relevant as the wait times don't matter much when parks are that slow and not many people visit during those times. 6 is a little busier than average, which is when many people visit. 9 is close to the max, but recognizes that there are busier times. They're spaced apart evenly. There are three, which is an easy concept to grasp -- slow, moderate and busy -- or in Disney terms, busy, busier and busiest.

It's not the be-all end-all wait times indicator - just intended to give you an idea of the peak afternoon wait at a glance. Like you said earlier, it may not be terribly helpful but if you're unfamiliar with wait times you can quickly glance over and see 50 minutes at Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and get an idea that it's not the standby line you want to be in at 2pm.

I REALLY like the maps! So easy to read--even for someone like me! (I'm extremely map-challenged. Reading the map at Brookfield Zoo in Chicago, my son's pre-school class and I kept going in circles and saw the zebras 7 times---never saw the monkeys in 6 hours!)
    REALLY well thought out! This is an example of why this site is so fabulous! The hard work put into it really shows!
    Thanks a million!

despite having 1,000+ posts, does not visit the forum UmmGooD's Avatar
    I have been gone for awhile and I must say I love your touring plans. Great job!

Where have you been?

This is my not happy face

only person to nominate a josh picture for potd guff's Avatar
    I think you have to be carefull not to put too much information in it. As they say 'sometimes less is more'. Put too much information and you run the risk of turning your plan into a big giant clusterf### of data.

I view the BluePrint as something the user creates and takes with them. All of the information about showtimes, typical wait times etc could be removed from the BluePrint drop downs and obtained from text within the BluePrint or from the site. The dropdowns would be ride/attraction only, next to it would be a text enable box that the user could fill with notes (total characters would have to be limited to avoid turning it into a different clusterxxxx).

So my thoughts...

Page 1 The map (an arrow for FastPass locations might be helpful but also might make it a cluster)
    Page 2. Drop downs - a column of numbers 1-26, a drop down column of rides/attractions minus all the ancillary information, a column for blank text entered by the user
    Page 3. Text information as provided with additional info that is contained in the current drop downs. (or include a link to the site in that would have that info. That way when the info changes you only need to update the site, not the site and the BluePrint)

I think that would do two things 1. (most important) it allows the end user to add information they feel is important and 2. (pretty important) it allows you to not have to change drop down box when Disney decides to change show times or if historical wait times change for some reason. Those updates could be made in the page 3 text.

As is, I feel it is very well done and a great tool - don't try to make it contain every piece of information because that isn't possible. If I were you, I'd be more inclined to remove information than add it.

FASTPASS attractions are already noted by being in all capital letters - i.e. TOY STORY MANIA.

There will be a blank map so that you can "create your own" plan. The whole idea of the pre-made plans is that you can just take one and it will work.

Acrobat is a lot more cumbersome than you might imagine. You seriously don't want to know how long it would take to change the dropdown menus.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Where have you been?

This is my not happy face
    haha I have been busy with life stuff. I apologize.

This is my happy face

I was a little worried you might burn out with all of those posts in such a short amount of time. Glad you have recuperated.

I was a little worried you might burn out with all of those posts in such a short amount of time. Glad you have recuperated.
    I have to leave until you had substantially more posts than I do.

only person to nominate a josh picture for potd guff's Avatar
    FASTPASS attractions are already noted by being in all capital letters - i.e. TOY STORY MANIA.

There will be a blank map so that you can "create your own" plan. The whole idea of the pre-made plans is that you can just take one and it will work.

Acrobat is a lot more cumbersome than you might imagine. You seriously don't want to know how long it would take to change the dropdown menus.
    I guess that's my point... Since the dropdowns are such a nightmare to change - I assume you have to change all 26 individually - you only want to do that once. If Disney decides they want to change showtimes for Playhouse Disney Live, then you have to change the showtimes in the dropdowns. Get rid of them and you'll never have to change it. As long as you are providing the information somewhere (site or pdf text), you aren't shortchanging anyone.

When all the plans are complete, you'll have four parks worth of drop downs to maintain and if you have multiple plans for each park you may need a small army of elves to update the dropdowns when something changes.

Hi Josh!

I'm LOVING the BluePrint.

Reasons to love: 1. Color coded map is easy to decipher even for children. Now when I'm planning with my children their expections are better managed. "No, we can't just ride TSM 5 times in a row. See it is a red building." 2. My husband and I can do our detail planning at home and then print out only the map to remind of us of what we are wanting to do. 3. Get FASTPASS and Use FASTPASS are somehow much clearer then the Fastpass verbage on the next page.

I agree that there may be some polishing to do in the rest of the document but the map itself is wonderful. The name EasyPlan or EasyMap or some other Easy fits better with your branding.

Thanks for the website and great map!

I wonder if I use easyPlans if I will turn into eP like TouringPlans is TP or even worse, EP. People will wonder, "Why would you go Epcot for touring advice?"

Peanut butter is yummy.
    How about easyBluePrints?

(I like the term BluePrints- just ID it by adding easy)

A little long probably.

What about EasyTour. Then people will wonder why I'm getting my advice from an alien who isn't even tall enough to ride the rollercoasters.

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i love josh. Janine's Avatar
    I like it.
    Janine